City of Columbus Employee Reviews

No training, non-team oriented environment, low pay, and discouraging place to work.
Lineworker (Former Employee) –  Division of PowerJanuary 19, 2018
City of Columbus Division of Power
High turnover rate, comparatively low pay, no formal training, unsafe work practices due to lack of training. Safety director was completely unqualified for position, Power Distribution Manager does not encourage teamwork and could do a significantly better job of advancing the division. Most people are only there for a paycheck and nothing else. The paid time off and vacation time was nice but majority of the people have a bare minimum mentality and do the least amount of work possible. The AFSCME union is a complete joke and does virtually nothing for the employees besides deduct $100.00 a month from your paycheck.
Pros
Paid Time Off
Cons
Negative Atmosphere
Enjoyed some of the people I worked with. Quiet place to work
Admin Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 11, 2018
The job was advertised as Admin Asst so I thought it would be office work. I ended up taking money and making change at a Marina for the first month. And then took payment for people wanting to use the pool in the Natorium.
Pros
Made a couple of friends. Work was relatively easy.
Cons
Making change!
Great Job
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INDecember 20, 2017
Love the job and the people I worked with. Management is great in some departments, but needs a lot of work in others. Leaving for something closer to home.
Pros
consistent hours
Cons
management
Homeownership Development Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 7, 2017
The city of Columbus provides competitive pay and excellent benefits. The City also provides training, a free gym, and opportunities to move to different divisions and departments.
Columbus City Pool
Lifegaurd (Former Employee) –  Columbus, KSDecember 1, 2017
Working as a lifegaurd was very fun, at first. The pay was good, but the amount of hours just sitting in the sun all day long was so draining. I won't be a lifegaurd again unless there are more employees and breaks.
poor
Public Health Program Manager II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 7, 2017
Job was ok, with a lack of training. Very poor management and lack of support from upper management. Poor training and the environment was awful. The employees hated the lack of respect from the manager but was scared to speak up.
Relaxed and Fair Management. Great Benefits
Engineer Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 20, 2017
Low stress. Workload was fairly heavy do to lack of enough help. Great co-workers and supervisors. Variety of job duties kept me from getting bored doing the same thing over and over.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Workload was heavy do to not enough help
Property Maintenance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43224October 2, 2017
Individuals must be able to work independently, have a strong work ethic, loyal, organized, follow detailed order requirements, reliable, and able to meet strict deadlines. Excellent communication skills and basic computer skills are a must to submit photos and documentation
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 21, 2017
This was a internship right after high school and in between breaks from college. This was a experience from different aspects of Accounting/ Finance positions.
Pros
Experience
Cons
I had no cons
Typical government job
Management Analyst 2 (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 10, 2017
Very relaxed and slow paced environment. Not much challenge. Employees in unskilled classifications do extremely well with pay and advancement. Middle management and technical jobs don't get raises and expected to work 50+ hours a week.
Political
Business Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 25, 2017
Work with small businesses as a liaison with the City of Columbus to assist is the needs of the small entrepreneur.

I enjoy that I can walk to work.

Very relaxed working environment.

Management - political/politics
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Politics
Fun work environment.
Youth Leader (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 21, 2017
While supervising the children at the recreation center, I learned how to care for younger children such as helping them read or explore their creativity through art.
Pros
Helping kids learn.
Cons
Angry boss.
Great workplace
311 Representative I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 31, 2017
The City of Columbus is a phenomenal place to work.The work ethic and advancement opportunities are amazing. There is so much room for advancement and so many things you can do.
Productive workplace, great learning environment, friendly staff
Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 19, 2017
I have worked at this job for 5.5 years now and I love it because I am always learning something new even after all this time. I enjoy tremendously the work that I do and also enjoy the people I work along side. A typical day at work for me consists of talking with moms about breastfeeding. Helping resolve any issues/concerns they may have. Helping them obtain a pump for work/school/if baby is in the hospital, teaching them proper pumping and storing. Making/receiving calls from moms. Teaching a breastfeeding class. Sitting one on one with moms and families teaching them benefits and importance of breastfeeding, encouraging them to breastfeeding and also encouraging them to share any questions and concerns they may have about it. Work place environment is a clinic setting, some days may be extremely busy, seeing client after client, answering phones and emails. Other days may be more paced out, which then allows me to catch up on my Due Date reports and other follow up calls.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help people. Seeing them completely relax and enjoy being a parent, and enjoy breastfeeding with no pain. Hearing them tell me their stories of how I have helped them is tremendous!
The hardest part of the job honestly is that it is flat funded from the government so there's no option for full time, also I do not receive any type of benefits. Hours fluctuate week to week/month to month. I would love a full time job, know what I will make each month and have health benefits/paid time off/vacation/and room fro growth within the company. These are all extremely
  more... important to me  less
Pros
Paid trainings, flexible hours
Cons
no benefits, paid time off, room to grow (I.E. management or full time position)
My all time favorite place to work
Administrative Assistant - Temporary/Part Time (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INMay 17, 2017
Provided support to the President, VP Finance, Senior VP of Technology. Every day was different and challenging. Scheduling and preparing presentations for Board Meetings, travel for Board of Directors for said meetings. Scheduled annual State of the Business meetings for all employees including selecting location, menu, prizes and gifts. Coordinated /Supervised company activities, i.e., Holiday Parties, Company Picnics. As Office Manager I managed clerical personnel ordered supplies for management office and handled petty cash disbursement. I learned so much, it is lengthly to explain. Management was working with some of the best people I have ever met. I am still in contact with two of my bosses. Workplace was extremely professional yet personable. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to work everyday.
Pros
Great workplace, great bosses.
Cons
Sale of the Company (Management was dismissed)
Challenging and rewarding career
EMPLOYEE BENEFITS & RISK MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 10, 2017
The City of Columbus is a great place to work. Each day had variety and it was an opportunity to help others. The benefits and pay were very generous.
Pros
Variety of daily responsibilities
Cons
Politics
Very productive
Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 4, 2017
A typical day consisted of packing clothes and unloading boxes for the other workers to scan and pack away. Management was fantastic and the hardest part of the job was if you were sick, mostly because it was physical labor.
Pros
Relaxed environment/non stressful
Cons
Short breaks/risk of injury
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 10, 2017
Awesome , friendly and most of all a great place to learn. Started my opens retirement there. My manager was great as well and patient when I didn't understand something
Pros
Learned alot
Cons
Worked outside and it was hot
A place to work with youth and help your community
Youth Leader / Graphic designer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 4, 2017
The city of Columbus Ohio offers the ability to work with youth in a creative environment with the ability to move up over time. You will deal with many different kinds of people from all walks of life.
Pros
You can have a job that will be around for years
Cons
It will take a long time to move up because people keep there jobs for a long time.
Great workplace with challenges
Civil Engineering Project Management (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 2, 2017
Great place to work, upward mobility limited. Putting up with the political environment is a challenge. Management does not recognize innovative approaches.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Politics