City of Columbus Employee Reviews

Very good place to work.
Duty Tax Collector (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSJanuary 28, 2017
The typical day was very busy. We had to have great customer service with meeting people daily. I loved meeting the people and today they remember me from seeing me in the tax office. The hardest part of this job was running the city election. I was accused of many things. I hated when it was election time.
Pros
very flexible and have some good perks
Cons
to political
A good job security
Columbus (Former Employee) –  ColumbusJanuary 16, 2017
Very good benefits.your day start slow and develop to fast pace.some area are much harder than others especially trash removal.
Pros
Very physical
Well Managed
Waterpark/Swimming Pool Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEDecember 11, 2016
The aquatics department at the City of Columbus strives to ensure their guests get the most out of each visit to the pool or water park. The staff are very professional and willing to do whatever is necessary to make you smile.
Part-time laborer
Seasonal Laborer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 3, 2016
It was a fun 3 years but it was hard to get a full time position back in 2007-2009 with the City of Columbus and I needed a more stable job so I join the U.S Air Force.
Productive and taught a lot about teamwork
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INOctober 10, 2016
A 7-4 job, where our boss gives a team of 3-5 employees to complete by the end of the day.
I learned how to manage time, so the team could complete the tasks needed before the end of the day. I also learned how to work with a team and how to get along with different people on different days. The management was well ran, where everyone listened and respected who was in charge and how they were running the operation. The co-workers where great to work with, they taught me the ropes and didn't mind if a was just there for the summer. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, and the satisfaction of seeing how happy the parents and kids were with our facilities. The hardest part of the job was the long hours on the weekend, where some weekends I would have to work 15-20 hours.
Backwards and slow to adapt.
Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  ColumbusSeptember 14, 2016
I have learned to get out of public service because of this job. It's hidebound by management, which is a beauty pageant at best, and a dogfight at worst. There's no advancement, or hope. It's a great place to leave.
Pros
None I'm aware of.
Cons
Creeping workload if you're competent. hard work equals more work and no recognition for it.
Regulating with a smile
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 31, 2016
I truly enjoy working at the Building Department. I assist on a daily basis the general public, design professionals, contractors, attorneys and other City staff. It is rewarding to help customers through an unfamiliar process while adhering to City and State codes.
Good place to work!!!!!
Engineering Aide II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 19, 2016
Typical day with the City of Columbus "coffee" meeting to discuss the day's assignments and procedures to complete task. I learned a lot of team work and to be flexible to changes of any policies. Management was a very pleasant group to work with, concise,proficient and helpful in problem solving. My co-workers were like family in which it was a delight to be at work. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the public behaviors due to working for a municipality being the first representative the public can sound off on.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working for such a strong organization that took care of it's employee in time of bereavement, illness, and recognition of accomplishments.
Pros
Provided work boots every six months
Cons
Working in incelment weather.
Work day
Lifeguard (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 15, 2016
Work is usually easy through the day, all I do is make sure the people at the pool that are there to swim are safe. Work 7 days a week and you can get as many hours as you need if you decide to work. Work is laid back on rainy days.
Pros
Easy money
Cons
It gets hot outside
Steady work and Great Co-workers.
Construction Inspector I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 3, 2016
Great Atmosphere and great co-workers. Seems to be very helpful when scheduling in family time. Management team is there to help with anything questions or concerns you may have while out in the field. Overall, great place to work.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
None really except for paperwork but that is expected with an inspectors position.
Wastewater Chemist I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 22, 2016
Good place to work. Great starting wages and generally nice people. On the job training is quick and to the point while job tasks are easily completed within working hours. People are helpful and will assist you however they can.
Nice coworkers and benfits were acceptable.
Office Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 9, 2016
A typical day as of lately, consisted of writing formal bids for purchase over one thousand dollars, creating spreadsheets, and preparing numbers to my supervisor for the new budget. I was moved three different times while employed with the City of Columbus and each time I was moved, I learned a new skill set. Flexibility was a must working for this employer.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Lack of training
Job Experience on a Typical Day
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, MSApril 3, 2016
On a typical day at work it was fast paced and different each day. In performing this job, I had to multitask on a regular basis while being efficient and effective at the same time. The management was fair and I was able to work under supervision or without. I was in an office setting, so for the most part I was alone and helped assisted the Director when needed. I enjoyed the work relationships with my fellow coworkers, I learned a lot from each and every one of them during my tenure of working with the City of Columbus.
On the contrary, the hardest part of my job was satisfying each and every one of the citizens who called in concerning an issue that they may have had that was not addressed upon their request in a timely manner. Most of the time these type of calls would escalate into irate calls and I would have to find common ground and set the tone in assuring the citizen that this issue would be resolved....though it was complicated at times but it was taken care of. However, I enjoyed my job overall because I was good at it and was competent of my job duties and expectations.
Pros
Great Supervisor and good work relationships
Cons
Pay was not sufficient enough for the duties performed
Great Job
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 29, 2016
good job just was temporary , I gained customer services skills and how to deal with difficult customers. I answered Phones, returned calls daily, sent faxes and received them.
Best part is time off
Customer Service Representative I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 18, 2016
I enjoy working with the City of Columbus but I especially enjoy the ample time off policy, as they are generous with sick time.
Pros
Generous sick time policy
Cons
Very limited advancement opportunity
Great place to work as a student.
Student Intern II (Current Employee) –  1800 E. 17th AveJanuary 9, 2016
This was a great place to work as a student where you can both go to class full time and gain experience working for a public entity.
I loved working there
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 19, 2015
Answer phones, scheduling, purchasing, inventory, data entry, excel spreadsheet, word documents. Customer service.
Pros
Loved the staff, easy to get along with
Cons
NOne
I enjoy special projects, safety, and training.
Office Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 8, 2015
It is the same work day in and day out. Management loves to promise you things but the follow through is a bit lacking. I enjoy the people I work with and the special projects that allow for variety. Working with the safety committee and the training records that I keep is the highlight of my job. It is not a bad place to work but there is very little chance to move up if you enjoy the location that you work at.
Pros
Holiday parties
Cons
with every contract we end up paying more into our retirement
Great pay
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  City of Columbus, OHNovember 8, 2015
No room for promotions and your degree or no degree didn't matter, but the pay is great. I learned that happiness doesn't come from how much money you make. Female managers need to learn how to judge employees from their job performance and not personal feelings.
Pros
You have paid sick and vacation leave
Cons
Micromanagement
A job that I worked at for 33 years that I loved.
Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhOctober 26, 2015
I was responsible for the overall financial operations of the agency and supervised Fiscal, IT, Human Resources and Office staff. When I started working for the Central Ohio Area Agency on Aging of the City of Columbus in 1977 there were 12 employees with a budget of $1.2 million and rented a small office. When I retired in 2010 we have 200 employees with a $100 million budget and purchased 2 buildings. I was very instrumental in getting the agency to this level. A typical day at work would be preparing budgets and financial reports; preparing legislation for City Council; overseeing all IT, HR and Office management operations.
Pros
There was always a challenge that made the job interesting, worked for all 6 Executive Directors and had the utmost respect for all of them.
Cons
A lot of red tape dealing with City and State agencies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Columbus. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2