City of Dayton Employee Reviews

A fair work schedule with opportunity for OT.
Water and Sewer worker 2 (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 28, 2016
I enjoyed going to work every day, because their was always something new to learn. I felt they were fair in their work assignments. Management staff cared about the safety of the employees. Work supplies were provided by the City.
City of Dayton
Administrative Typist II (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 14, 2016
Working for the City is okay, but the pay isn't great and they don't cover family members for insurance unless the family member doesn't have coverage themselves.
Pros
Independent on everything you do.
Cons
Low pay and everyone is unsure as to what is going on.
nice paying career with opportunity for advancement
laborer/temp (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 31, 2016
A typical day at work for the city was like arrive to work. Meet with street crew plus supervisors. Get routine and route then grab equipment and load up truck. Go out to vacant lot/land cut the grass pick up trash and trim.
Pros
get paid every week and no weekends
Cons
very hott and sticky job have to be physically prepared
The City of Dayton, as a whole is very fluent in the foundation of leadership demonstration.
Office Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 15, 2016
While the City of Dayton provided for a fairly decent job work/life balance, the over arching leadership within the City of Dayton lacked demonstration of involved and caring leadership.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Leadership involvement
Corrupt upper management and city leadership
Police Officer -Dispatcher - Bike Patrol (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 7, 2016
If I had known then what I know now.....The policies contradict other policies, its impossible to get ahead unless you agree to be a minion, favorites who are not qualified fr certain positions are put in positions they have no business being, very good pay and benefits, weak union/FOP.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
bureaucracy and corrupt employees at the top and in positions of power
difficult environment
light equipment mechanic 2 (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHNovember 5, 2015
diverse crew, lower level equipment, not up to date. I learned how to deal with political red tape and management skills, the management at city of Dayton was a nightmare, direct supervisors were given no authority to make decisions, department management could not make decisions without expressed consent from director of public works. This makes job completion very difficult at the blue collar level. Blue collar were often reprimanded for lack of productivity. This makes for a hostile work environment. It was a better decision for myself to part company and cut my losses
Excellent, enjoyable place to work.
Emergency Operator (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 11, 2015
Working for the City of Dayton has been a great life experience. I met so many wonderful people, who I am still in contact with today. There was no typical day at work being an emergency operator, something new every day. I enjoyed working for the public and helping people.
Temp Position
Tax & Revenue Collector/Court Prep (Former Employee) –  taxOctober 19, 2015
For the most part it needed some procedure changes.

Without resouces to follow through to persons that owed taxes, there was no urgency for delinquent taxes to be paid.
Cons
Produce and a great place to work. The city of Dayton makes strides to improve workplace environment.
Office Supervisor II (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OhioJune 26, 2015
Great place to work with friendly co-workers and reliable supervision. The supervision within the city of Dayton has being working to address problems with being undermanned.
Pros
caring co-workers
Cons
undermanned
Management support for employee development and the ability to advance based on performance.
TAX AUDITOR (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHOctober 28, 2014
Reported to management regarding audit results and determined scope of investigation required to complete the audit, answered calls from taxpayers regarding their tax returns and assisted taxpayers in preparing returns at the customer service desk.
Pros
Civil Service job with periodic salary review and job security.
Cons
Salary based on civil service rates.

Want to know more about City of Dayton?

Ask a question
work hard
Class A CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  dayton ohioSeptember 13, 2015
the job have its perks but the weather is the biggest problem, the job is fun if you can handle the labor, the supervisor is really relax but you have to get the work done
Too many politics
Customer Service Rep/Lead Trainer (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 9, 2012
It's easy to advance here as long as you're an exceptional employee and have a strong work ethic. I was given the position of lead trainer to train new employees and existing ones who needed a refresher.

The politics of a goverment type job are bothersome, and you really don't know if you'll be bumped from your position by someone with more seniority. That would probably be the worst thing I could say about this job. Job security is ZERO, no matter how good of an employee you are.
Great job
Ground Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 5, 2015
Great job, can become busy and confusing if not under right management. Typical day at work, go in early and 1st or Second shift Foreman will direct you on what duties are assigned to you. Loved doing grounds work.
Great Summer job to come back to year after year
Manager of Operations, Dayton City Pool (Current Employee) –  Dayton, WASeptember 7, 2013
I have loved working summers at the Dayton City Pool (under the purview of the City of Dayton). The City of Dayton is a great employer and gives you a chance to learn customer service skills, how to work well and cooperate with individuals you wouldn't on a regular basis, and provides a great introduction to working life for those who are still in high school. Working for the City of Dayton also provides the job security of being able to keep returning to work each summer as long as you keep doing a good job. This is a great job for high school and college level students who need summer time employment, whether it is full time, part time, or shift work.
Pros
Great weather, beautiful work environment, fun work place
Cons
Some times can be hectic, first aid necessary on occasion
Great view into city government
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 27, 2015
As an intern, this was a great start into my career path. I had the opportunity through the SOCHE intern program to explore many of the different departments, which was eye-opening to me because I was very unaware of how they all worked together.
As an Employment Specialist, I interviewed and tested applicant for jobs.
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OhioDecember 9, 2013
Very good job. I liked the people and the leadership personnel.
I wrote test questions. Reviewed the test with subject matter experts.
I had the opportunity to ride with the fire and police departments.
Pros
Good people. Dedicated to doing a good job.
Cons
None.
Productive for the Police Enforcement Agency and a nice place to be employed.
Permanent Part-time Confidential Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 4, 2015
It's not a bad place to work. The Law Department employees were on top of their responsibilities. I would refer anyone to work there.
Busy and lots to learn
Secretary-Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 15, 2013
Answered phones, faxed, filing, helped citizens with sewer problems and dispersed crew members. Worked with Fire and Police Departments and crew and supervisors.
Pros
Education was provided where needed
Cons
laid off due to the economy.
Challenging, varied tasks.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 13, 2014
Provide administrative support to a department of 8. Interact daily with internal and external customers. Point of contact for all public information requests.
Pros
Close to home. Nice benefits
Cons
Budget restrictions
A good place to work
Deputy Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dayton, TXMay 6, 2013
Great place to work, Flexible, fun, team players. I learned the court system, and computer skills. Management was okay. My co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was angery customers. The best part it was fast paced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Dayton. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2