City of Dearborn Employee Reviews in United States

Hostile Environment
finance (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MINovember 25, 2015
I can't speak for every department at the City, but I can tell you that working for Finance is not a pleasant experience. The atmosphere is tense, the expectations are high and the bosses are - to be kind - not easy to work for. As an outsider, I always wondered why this department had such extremely high turnover. Now, I know why. If you're considering applying for a job in this department, understand the compensation is going to be poor (even by government standards), management does not have your back and will treat you like a child while shoving a ridiculous workload on your desk. Also, do not plan on deviating from an 8 - 5 schedule or a noon - 1 lunch period because, most likely, the world as we know it would collapse if you did. In short, stay away, far, far away.
Pros
Nice office, a few decent people
Cons
Low pay, lack of flexibility, hostile work environment
great place to work
Technical Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIFebruary 29, 2016
Working in the theater was a great experience, being able to meet people from different walks of life. Everyone worked as a team.
Pros
the people you meet
Cons
no benefits
A challenging and productive place to work
Department Technician/General Accountant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 15, 2016
One of the best places to work because of the employees, business owners and residents. A great place to learn the in's and out's of local government policies, such as zoning ordinances and building codes. The only difficulty was having to deal with the political red tape, so to speak. But I looked forward to greeting the residents and business owners and becoming acquainted with them over the years.
Great people to work with.
Department Associate (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMarch 30, 2016
A very fun and loving, tight-knit group of people to work with. It feels like everyone is one big family. Great learning experiences.
Good work enviromnent
Crime Lab / Property Room Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIAugust 28, 2015
Great place to work, excellent city, excellent benefits. The Dearborn Police Department is one of the premier police agencies in Michigan.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Multi- cultural place of employment
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  City HallSeptember 15, 2015
Always enjoyed the people that I worked along the side with. There was always ample amounts of assignments to take heed, to keep us productive.
Pros
Understanding of issues in the office.
Cons
Misconstrued issues in the work place.
Terrible micromanagement
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIApril 7, 2015
When you first start, it is a little fun learning about the pool and your duties. But generally most of the employees didn't want to work, and if you had an emergency without someone to cover you, you would get written up or punished otherwise. This is an easy job, with a great start pay. However, you were not compensated for doing a good job, even though your pay could or should be increased (by the year, if I'm not mistaken). A typical day at work would be standing or sitting for 80% of your shift, using your outside voice to get people's attention if they weren't following pool rules. Generally you prevent drownings or accidents. But if you had to get in the water for someone, it wasn't really that big of a deal. It was usually a child who had lost their footing in the water and their parent was not around to help. That's where you come in. The management, because it was run by the city, was terrible. You would get in trouble for little things and have to suffer the consequences. The fan to regulate the indoor pool's temperature and breathable air was BROKEN for YEARS and not fixed. This caused a lot of lifeguards to get "lifeguard lung" and you could walk away from the job or suffer through it. There was no good way out. You never actually see your boss, and when you do, it's not because he's happy to see you. It's usually because someone is in trouble. I learned leadership skills, obviously first aid and CPR, and lots of creative ways to entertain children and keep them safe. As a lifeguard, there was a chance to make more money per hour teaching swim lessons to children  more... and adults. The hardest part of the job was the micromanagement and the lack of compensation or even recognition for a job well done, no initiative, etc. Best part was the above minimum wage pay and ease of the job.  less
Pros
Easy job, good pay.
Cons
lack of compensation, micromanagement, terrible co-workers.
Unpleasant job and unpleasant bosses
Building Attendant (Former Employee) –  Recreation CenterMarch 23, 2015
The boss was unreasonable, disrespectful, and had poor communication skills. When I was first hired employees from other departments were encouraging me to find another job asap. Cleaning is never a pleasant job but it's doable when the environment isn't as hostile as this. I only stayed here for a short while before I got sick of being screamed at by my boss.
Pros
predictable hours
Cons
hostile environment
Building Supervisor (former employee)
Building Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJanuary 31, 2015
I would recommend this position to anyone looking for a solid part-time position... unless Chester is still managing. The facility itself was great and there was always something to do. The combined fitness center, gym, pool, and theater make this position extremely dynamic and you learn a little about everything.

Again, my forewarning is regarding the over-bearing enforcement officer of a boss. Best of luck!
You have a part time job
BUILDING ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Dearborn, MIJuly 6, 2013
You gather your equipment for that day or night and get your job duties list what you need to do that night.
Pros
nice work inviornment
Cons
say good health care benefits
Great benefits/pay
City Employee (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIApril 4, 2013
Overall- professional environment, kind people and great citizens to work for.
Pros
great pay, decent benefits
Cons
hard to get in
Stagehand/Box Office Part-time (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MISeptember 28, 2014
Working for the City of Dearborn was an enjoyable place to work, I worked with a lot of great people. Worked varied from day to day, could have been working at the ticket window to loading in a show. I learned several things about working in a theater.
enjoy engineering job
Field inspector (Current Employee) –  dearborn, miSeptember 8, 2014
i like engineering job, i learned alot from this job .
i love it because i always have to make independent decision at work also i like when i help other people to solve their problem
work with public
Water Meter service ,repair ,customer service (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMarch 3, 2013
Help customers with high water bill issues, replace water meters when needed,make water shut offs and turn ons,all issues related to maintaining water service to City of Dearborn residents 24hrs. a day 7days a week.
Pros
great co-workers and supervisors.
Cons
really!!!
professional environment but still have great customer service
swim instructor and life guard (Former Employee) –  dearborn, miNovember 19, 2012
working for the city of dearborn as a lifeguard was a great experience in a professional setting with still having a good time
Working for the city of dearborn
Customer Service Skills, Have Good Judgment (Former Employee) –  Dearborn miJuly 20, 2012
A great place to work was at the ford community performing arts center. It was fun interacting with people, helping people and learning new things everyday.
Worked for the City for 33 years and enjoyed my time there.
Superintendent of Facilities (Former Employee) –  Dearborn Mi.March 1, 2012
I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time to advance my position in the City. It was a very good place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Dearborn. Our community is ready to answer.