City of Detroit Employee Reviews in United States

Job allowed for security and benefits, management was poor
Senior Storkeeper (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 20, 2015
Supervised over shipping and receiving for the water dept.
Kept accurate records of over a thousand pieces of inventory
supervised a staff of 10 store keepers
used a buddy system of working along side of co-workers
motivating people through a eight hour work day during down time
interacting with vendors and other workers.
Pros
health benefits, pension, and 401K
Cons
Being lailison between upper management and people I supervised
Not as pleasant as when I first started
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MichiganMay 3, 2016
With all the new changes things are not set in stone. Due to these changes the city of Detroit is taking advantage of its employees due to these changes. Which they should be following past practice methods until they reach actual implementations dates for changes instead of picking and choosing the employees they want to be able to reap benefits.Management makes working for the city unbearable, but the citizens that I service and provide customer service to are the ones that make it tolerable and motivate you to work to assist them with their needs. Performing these duties with the co-workers also makes day the go a little smoother. I would have to say that the servicing the citizens and doing it with the people I work with is the most enjoyable part of the day.
Pros
meeting new people and experiencing new things
Cons
underpaid
Facilities are substandard and a health risk.
Senior Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 14, 2016
Supervisor lacks the common knowledge of field operations and thus incurs insubordination from seasonal and permanent staff.

Some staff have certifications to perform field testing but refuse to perform the testing, or they falsify testing results and other documentation that is fraudulent; there are no repercussions from supervisors, thereby tainting the work ethics of more responsible employees., which finally resulted in MDOT banning the City of Detroit from managing and inspecting projects receiving federal or state funding.

Management is handcuffed to bringing back those employees because of "union seniority", and the extremely low wage prevents better-qualified technicians from even considering applying.
Pros
City vehicle (when they run)
Cons
Low employee moral and a vto do things their own way, with no repercussions.ery overt dislike for the employees that constantly are allowed
Enjoyable place to work
FireFighter (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 18, 2016
My job involved the saving of lives and property.
A typical day included fighting house fires.
The hardest part about the job was watching people lose their house and belongings in fires that were too advanced for us to extinguish.
The joy came from saving lives. Satisfaction came from saving a house from total loss. Most of the people in Detroit did not have insurance, because it was so expensive. Therefore, they were very happy if we could save a house from total destruction.
Pros
Joy from helping people
Cons
Low salary, Overall health risks
The Auditor General was incoherent.
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 28, 2015
The Auditor General was incoherent. He would start and stop assignments at a whim. The workers were very friendly with each other. The compensation was low but the benefits were high.
Pros
The workers were friendly.
Cons
The Auditor General was arbitrary in starting and stopping assignments.
30 year of fun and learning to relax and play ( the more fun I had the better I did my job).
Playleader (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 17, 2016
Playleader/ year round/ city of DETROIT Recreation Department. A city of fun!

Playlots , play field, community park, block party, Grand
openings .Senior Olympics ,recreation center
,swimming pool. parks, After school games ,crafts sport events .
Fun playing with children of all ages( young and old. )
I worked special event and rec .centers.
Senior citizen Activity Programmer/ 6 years
resolve any problems with service or
accommodations, pay bills ,recording checks issued, Organize and supervise games and other recreational activities to promote Physical, mental and social development.for senior citizens. Conduct classes .Trips ,workshop and demonstrations. Direct activities of teen volunteer .Attend staff meeting and serve on committees ,lesson plans and teaching classes. A fun place to work
Pros
year round Fun
Cons
Health Insurance. Pay
Fun environment when we all are on the same page.
Personnel and Payroll Records Systems Clerk (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 3, 2016
On a typical payroll day, I review time sheets for accuracy. this is normally the most stressful day due to the fact that we have a deadline to meet before we can run payroll. We have high stress and then we breathe for a minute and again comes the high stress. I do enjoy working in the fast paced environment.
Pros
Knowing what my daily work load will be.
Cons
Uncertainty of employment due to restructuring.
Good learning environment, supportive coworkers & management
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 20, 2016
Good learning environment, good people to work with, management was supportive, worked with most popular networking & telecommunications services & products (Cisco, Avaya/Nortel, Microsoft, FortiNet, Barracuda, Linux, IBM, HP, AT&T, Verizon, Oracle, VMWare, Genetec).
Pros
Goog learning environment
Cons
Pay & benefit compesation
Gratifying and disapponting.
Research & Development Coordinator/Chief (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 7, 2016
Fire Fighting is one of the most dangerous occupations in the world. When everyone is running to get out of a dangerous situation, as a fire fighter you are usually running in. It's a job that is gratifying when you are successful in saving life and property but very disappointing and a downer when you are not successful.
Pros
Gratifying when successful in saving life and property.
Cons
Disappointing when you fail to save a life of property.
All positions I held always helped someone else
Principal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI 48226July 7, 2016
Typical work day was very busy. Co-workers worked well together. I learned how to work successfully under stressful conditions. Hardest part of the day was trying to please irate customers on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping someone who needed help.
It has it's benefits and shortcomings as any job
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 29, 2016
Teaches patience, time management, social development and accountability . Some of the hardest working and dedicated people you will ever meet that patrol these streets and bureaus.
Pros
Great training, great partners
Cons
No real benefits.
Productive and inspiring place to work.
Equal Opportunity Officer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 26, 2015
Our Management team, creative,and intelligent in approaching relevant ideas for serving difficult to place clients. The team brain storming approach, gives each participant an opportunity to contribute meaningfully and take responsibility for their contributions.
Pros
Group collaborations breeds group accountability
Cons
Atmosphere not always an comfortable!
Enjoyable work, found work enviroment exceed my expectations.
Head Contruction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 7, 2016
Learned to listen to concerns of others. Developed resolution skills.
Learned to keep good records of actives or communication which can be of value in disputes between customers, contractors, vendors and higher authorities.
dangerous place to work
Building Official and Plan Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 18, 2015
Day consisted of 15-20 inspections. Residential, Commercial and Industrial. The job itself was amazing. Learned every situation that could possible come up in construction. I was the lead inspector at Ford Field for 3 years along with Book Cadillac Hotel, Compuware and other jobs such as Wayne County Community College. Pay and benefits were decreased over the years and management became corrupt.
Pros
experience no where else found
Cons
dangerous surroundings
no comment
Project Manager/Sr. Business Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 22, 2016
i defer to not provide an opinion or a review at this time. everyone's experience is different depending on what division they work in and their direct reports.
a place to work at
Office Assistant III- Messaging Center (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 16, 2016
a place to work at. in the city of Detroit, 48202 zip code
a typical day at this job
what have you learned
your co-workers
I do not want to be a part of this review
Nice place to work but has had many financial problems
Manager I (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 28, 2016
Nice place to work but has had many financial problems. Pay was cut 20% in the past and many people laid off. Pension was frozen.
I have been with the city of detroit 20 years and I am glad for the experience and knowledge but I want to relocate to Phoenix, AZ better opportunies
Records System Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 4, 2014
I assist my staff with payroll issues for the city of detroit, I deal with customers of the city of detroit on a daily basis, make sure that all retirements, promotions, demotions, step increases, lay offs, payouts due to arbirtration awards and settlements are paid out in a timely manner. I attend monthly meetings as to the daily changes with the city of detroit. I learned that working with the public is not for everybody and gladly I have been in customer service all my life and I love dealing with the public. The hardest part of my job is not being a valued city of detroit employee and with all the changes in the city the pay cuts are really hard on me.
Pros
benefits, dealing with the public
Cons
pay cuts, not being valued, city employees have to pay for parking
Productive, structured place to work
Corporal Officer; Junior Police Cadet Trainer (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 10, 2015
Being that I am a first responder, A typical days work can range from rescuing a cat from a tree to saving someone's life. I have learned that day to day experiences change momentarily with each circumstance.

Management makes the best decision necessary at the particular situation. My co-workers are very dependable and our life depends on the with our daily duties. The hardest part of the job is dealing with children and the most enjoyable part of the job is saving someone's life and protecting the public.
Pros
Work with public
Cons
limited growth opportunity
Low Morale
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 29, 2015
There has been a paradigm shift and it is not all positive. Dedicated employees have taken many hits and there is no reward for the commitment made to see the City through its hard times
Pros
Co-workers

City of Detroit Reviews by Location