City of Detroit

City of Detroit Employee Reviews

Very Enjoyable Environment
Senior Accountant (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 23, 2015
Pros: Working independently
Cons: Needed to write a policy and procedures manual for internal audits
Worked independently and was able to accomplish a very needed service by reviewing annuity refund paybacks for over-payments.

Police and Fire Personnel were able to withdraw from their annuity accounts when laid off but upon returning to work, the amounts had to be paid back by automatic deductions from their respective payroll checks.

I discovered quite a few had repaid the borrowed amount and was still repaying which was a conflict of policy and personnel could require a refund with interest. I was able to refund the over-payments with no interest.

For the records, many of the refunds were substantial or into the thousands of dollars.
International Employment Experience
Project Coordinator, and Purchasing agent (Former Employee), Detroit, MIMay 12, 2015
Pros: Amazing job - allows for creativity
Cons: Long hours
Processed RFPs and RFQs
award contract
sourced out products
Generated reports various procurement reports
Trained department procurement staff
worked with budgeting
worked with vendors in the community
worked with City council
Many opportunities for advancement within City Departments
EXEC. ADMIN. SECRETARY (Former Employee), City of Detroit, Civil ServiceApril 12, 2015
Pros: Opportunity to learn how the museum is operated from the ground up, learning how the artwork is acquired, and learning how exhibitions are planned and displayed in the museum.
Cons: No cons
Last position held as an Executive Administrative Secretary was, by far, the best opportunity and position held during all my years of employment with the City of Detroit. A typical day at work involved answering correspondence directed to the Director of the Detroit Institute of Arts or any of its Arts Acquisition Committees. Preparing for all committee meetings by preparing meeting packages that included assembling meeting packages that included minutes from last meeting held, description and pictures of artwork for acquisition consideration, or for loans of art to museum for upcoming exhibitions.
dangerous place to work
Building Official and Plan Reviewer (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: experience no where else found
Cons: dangerous surroundings
Day consisted of 15-20 inspections. Residential, Commercial and Industrial. The job itself was amazing. Learned every situation that could possible come up in construction. I was the lead inspector at Ford Field for 3 years along with Book Cadillac Hotel, Compuware and other jobs such as Wayne County Community College. Pay and benefits were decreased over the years and management became corrupt.
Vehicle Operator I/ GSD Former Employee
Vehicle Operator I (Former Employee), GSD GEneral Service DepartmentFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great working hours, lots of overtime, new vehicles and equipment.
Cons: low morale amongst employes, nepotism is rampant.
You need very thick skin to work here which I didn't have. Could be a great place to work if it was ran properly. Pay could be better. Be prepared to be belittled and witness angry tirades. No room for advancement unless you're in the "click".
Outstanding co-workers that really love their job, and cared about getting the job done.
Sergeant/Criminal Investigator. (Current Employee), Detroit, MI.February 9, 2015
Pros: the city of detroit surviving bankruptcy.
Cons: city employees losing health insurance at time of retirement and new pension system.
A typical day at works begins with reviewing, daily arrests, assigning arrests and other non-in-custody cases to shift Detectives. I quickly learned that there are very few dull moments in criminal investigations. My feelings about management, is that they are primarily concerned about their own upward mobility. My co-workers are the backbone of the organization and without their dedication the organization would fail. The hardest part of the job is responding to investigations where the victims are the elderly or young children. The most enjoyable part of the job is apprehending individuals that prey on the elderly, young children, and defenseless victims.
Everyday was different
Deputy Chief (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 10, 2015
I enjoyed working for the City of Detroit. During my time I only used three sick days and none during my last twenty-seven years.
Gain so much knowledge and essential tools as a young professional.
Community Liaison and Accounts Management (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 30, 2014
Being a team player and was able to grow within the organization and as a employee.
Great for a simgle person
Transportation Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 28, 2014
Pros: great benifits and retirement plan
Cons: safety
Great job for a single person, very demanding. Ok benefits safety is an issue. Poor management
Productive and Learing
Sanitation Engineer/ Truck Driver (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 23, 2014
Pros: safety
Cons: learnig to use the equipment
Productive and learning, fast pace monitored sanitation equipment and systems, operated all equipment in a safe and efficient way to all relevant policies and procedures.
The City of Detroit needs a great deal of restructuring.
Senior Teller (interim) Assistant Cashier (Current Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 3, 2014
Its not a productive place to work. Complete restructuring in the only source of help.
Excellent place to work to gain knowledge.
Retired (Former Employee), Detroit, MINovember 28, 2014
Pros: excellent training in dealing with people, understanding how local government works.
Cons: limited pay for hours worked, no overtime pay.
A good place to get an understanding of how government works. Assessor's Office was a high paced, challenging environment. Every day was different and unique. As a manager, I tackled day-to-day issues as they arose, always striving to do the very best job to resolve them. My inter-personal skills helped me to deal with Administrators, associate managers, co-workers, staff, other department personnel and the public.

The hardest part of the job was the demanding work schedules to meet deadlines. I worked many overtime hours to oversee staffing to meet mandated deadlines each year.

I learned many things as a Manager, including developing good people skills, how the assessment process works, budgeting processes for the City of Detroit, computerization, appraising, time management, diplomacy, administrative controls, inter-personal skills, business writing skills, etc.

The most enjoyable part of this job was working with all types of people on different levels.
Victims Assistance social work is no laughing matter
Social Worker (Current Employee), Detroit, MINovember 6, 2014
Pros: the most enjoyable part of my job, is the unpredictability (i know it sounds different, but its true); i love the fact that i can go to work and not have everyday be the same.
Cons: the hardest part of my job, is the salary (low salary job with lots of responsibility), thanklessness (it would be encouraging to know, and have it be highlighted that the work you do for others are not in vain).
On a typical day as a social worker for Victims Assistance consists of receiving and following-up with police reports, responding to the emergency room pager at Detroit hospitals, and providing counseling for Assault, and Domestic Violence victims. At the beginning of my shift, I greet everyone in my department, check my mailbox for new police reports or cases to follow-up with, and go to my office to check my voicemail. My day will depend on how many police reports I am assigned to, if I'm assigned to the emergency room pager, and if I have clients scheduled for counseling. I've learned to be prepared for anything; its crisis social work, and my day can change with any given moment. I especially love the clients that I may only see for a day, but if I can find them shelter and/or provide them with clothes and food resource information, I feel that I made someone's day a little bit better.
Very Dangerous but enjoyed helping the public
Police Officer (Former Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 20, 2014
Work environment can be very busy, but it has its good points
productive
Mail Processor (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 26, 2014
It was a an ok work place it was not that professional but the pay was feeat, did not have good benefits
A lot of lay offs
Water Plant Operator (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 8, 2014
not a good company to work for. The city has a lot of problems. many lay offs. they have a hard time keep good people because of money problems.
NICE PLACE TO WORK
Auto Mechanic (Former Employee), Detroit, MIAugust 8, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: management needs a lot of work
WORK ON VEHICLES.SOME WELDIND,MANAGEMENT NEEDS A LOT OF WORK.CO-WORKES FUN TO WORK WITH
Employee relations
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 31, 2014
No day is ever the same. I have gain lots of employee relations skills
meeting new people
Transit Operator (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 26, 2014
Pros: making overtime
Cons: no protection
omg. good benefits. pay and you get to travel and meet different types of people who you didn't see or think you might see while driving the bus
Teamwork and cooperation
Auto Repair Foreman (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 25, 2014
Pros: lack of funds was cause for, innovative thinking.
Cons: risks expected to accept, were more than just uncomfortable.
Every day was a new challenge, met with innovation, coupled with success, each of a different design

1 2 3 4 5