City of Detroit Employee Reviews

I is a very busy with lots of unexpected changes weekly.
Senior Building/Safety Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 26, 2017
We all have a target to meet, therefore, we have to try and make it happen with confidence. I greet all my customers and callers with patience to let them know that I am here to help and serve them in the best way possible. Therefore, I assist the customers with general information, update their information, inform them of things that need to be done to make the paperwork satisfactory to the City of Detroit standards and I also make sure the customers understand the City of Detroit rules and regulations and I direct them in the proper location needed.
Pros
To be able to move around, learn newer task and help others.
Cons
Being limited to one job.
Busy work environment
Driver/Coach Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 22, 2017
Initially started as a Department of Transportation Driver, picking up citizen on bus routes. Later transfered to the Mechanics division cleaning coaches to be ready to return to service.
Pros
Great starter Job with City of Detroit
Working for the City of Detroit is great.
Executive Secretary (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 16, 2017
Working for this company allowed me to have more experience in the criminal background. I love working for the law and it is a great experience. I love to work for a place where it is demanding. I feel very appreciated.
Relaxed environment and Great Experience
Telecommunications Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 16, 2017
This was the perfect job for me. An ideal job for me. Everything I wanted it to be. The environment was diverse. A typical day at work was account management, bill payments, and device activation & distribution. I enjoyed the people. I enjoyed the job duties.
if you like working. you will be fine.
General auto mech. (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 19, 2017
ok, just do your job. you will survive. good
job, pay ok. always learning something.always be willing to learn. nobody knows everything. never be surprise about learrning from others. you may have bosses who does not know whats required. be your own bosss and be willing to learn from others , even if you thionk you have more qualifications.
Pros
30min lunch and 2 fifteen min. breaks
Working for the City of Detroit was a real learning experience.
Principal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 5, 2017
Working for the City of Detroit for 30 yeawsrs was a real learning experience. I worked with with upper management as well as customers. Helping and serving the public was truly something I loved.
Excellent place to work - staff was outstanding
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 16, 2017
Learned mailing procedures; bank deposit procedures, assisted with property tax files and income tax files. Interacted with public on last day to pay property taxes; interacted with other staff on a daily basis; assisted staff in printing out current tax bills for customers.
Overall Experience
Acting Sr. Info.Tech. - Plan Review Division (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 14, 2017
No career advancement, numerous pay cuts, reduced pensions its time for change of environment and new adventures. I looking forward to meeting new people in a team environment.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
No career advancement
Great Place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 2, 2017
Great place to work. The new leadership team, especially within customer service is awesome. He is very in tune to the needs of the employee, the customers and the organization.
great medical
Transportation Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 1, 2017
This would be a nice place to work if they ran the department better, when people move up the career ladder they seem to forget what job they started at. Unnecessary pettiness.

Want to know more about City of Detroit?

Ask a question
I like what I do as an employer.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  735 Randolph St.February 20, 2017
I provide excellent customer service. I really enjoy what I do for our Detroit residents. My experience has prepared me for other employment with other companies. My education has outgrown my current title. I am looking forward to moving to the next phase in my life.
Pros
Equal opportunity
Cons
No longer employee based
Productive everyday work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 15, 2017
Everyone was able to learn more than one job and position. Great with residents, clients, other cities, over sea clients, and motor city tours. Answering all questions, emails, postal mails and making clients/customer understand and where to go.
Pros
Open to letting employee's learning more job position
Cons
Great Benefit Packet
Human Resources Coordinator/Recruiter-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 6, 2017
Great place to work if you are a full tine per employee. Contractors were not welcome in some departments.

I was able to overcome the fear some workers had by providing HR information, solving problems with their benefits, payroll and referring their qualified referrals for jobs.
Pros
Change
Cons
parking
Good work environment
Service Guard General (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 26, 2017
This is a city job. So whatever happens to the city on a financial level happens to all jobs. The job title falls under GSD which should not be lumped with security.
Fun Place to work
Parks and Recreation Department as a Play Leader (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 21, 2017
Fun!
Management after the original boss passed away...terrible!
Culture was fun and different
Adjusting to the new manager
Co-workers and the clients
Pros
The children
Cons
The manager
Rewarding Job
Assistant Fire Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 18, 2017
I love my job and what I do. Management is not the greatest. And you constantly have to fight with payroll to correct pay. The overall moral is low working for the City of Detroit.
No two trips are ever the same
Transportation Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 19, 2016
This job has been rewarding in a personal way. I've humbled myself to the blessings I've received throughout life that I had taken for granted.
Pros
Meet a lot of interesting people, many of them humorous. Good benefits
Cons
Big "I" and little "you" from some of the management team.
Interesting and Vibrant Work Enviroments
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 29, 2016
I loved working for the City of Detroit! I came up through the ranks i.e, starting with a office clerical entry level position and ending with a District Management position. The career provided the ability to interact with the diversity of citizens that make up the population of the City of Detroit and surrounding suburbs. A typical day required the use of analytical, interpersonal, and team work skill sets.
project lead
Project Lead/ System Analyst /Developer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 28, 2016
Database Design according to Customer Requirements, Data Modeling, Develop, implement and documentation of a new system(Narcotic System) using Oracle8i relational database, Form Builder (Oracle Forms) for data entry, Report Builder and Developer 2000 Utilities and SQL utilities to generate 80 reports and Forms.
Great customer service
Senior Electrical Meter Reader (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 4, 2016
I had daily interaction with customers on city-owned properties, which I enjoyed. No day was the same.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with the change of weather, mostly during the winter season.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Disgruntled customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Detroit. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval