CITY OF DOWNEY Employee Reviews

Productive, fun, and enjoyable working environment
Camp counselor for yearly youth summer camp (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAOctober 3, 2016
I have had very many opportunities with the City of Downey and it has led to many new doors opening for me. I started off as a volunteer and eventually worked my way to get hired.
Make a difference in a student's life
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  City of DowneyFebruary 26, 2015
A typical day at work is dealing with staff retention, coaching staff to work with students to mold and shape them to be our future. Building relationships with school administration and parents.

I've learned to listen to what people have to say and repeat their concerns. Come to a common place to make the best decision.

My co-workers are the backbone of what makes this organization run well. We come together and discuss what is best for the program.

The hardest part of the job is not being able to solve every issue with in that moment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with students who need people who care in their lives.
Great people to work with, great place to expand professional knowledge.
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAOctober 17, 2014
I'm grateful to have a job. I have learned many things from the individuals that I offer administrative support to. The hardest part is not being full time and not seeing the possibility happen any time soon.
Cons
Part time, no benefits.
Great Kid experience
Site Director (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJune 3, 2014
I learned a lot of new skills and had a lot of support to grow. I started on the bottom ranks and quickly grew to manage my own site. I grew with the afterschool program and was a pioneer for some technological aspects. It is so great to see your students grow and see what kind of person they will become. I managed a site of 6 staff and 105 students and worked closely with the school administration.
Pros
Room to grow
Cons
Budget Cuts
excellent work place
Parks worker (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAApril 22, 2014
My day would start by arriving 30 minutes before my start time,making sure everything is pre set to go for the day, i supervise 1 person,which this person is very young,but i teach him as much as i know and more for the fact that i might not be there one day, and so he would know what to do,and pick up where we left off,as the hardest part of my job, there is no hard part. My enjoyable part of the day is that i am outdoors, communicating with the daily people that admire my work....
Pros
Working days
Cons
Not enough hours
great place to work, and people to work with
Assistant Site Director (Former Employee) –  Downey, CAFebruary 4, 2014
Awesome company to work for a grow from.You learn different techniques for working with children. Very satisfying helping children learn and grow.
Great environment to work in.
Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAJanuary 29, 2014
Great place to work for, you can be hands on with many projects; however there is little room for advancement and no possibility of obtaining a raise, due to budget cuts.

but still a great place to obtain tons of experience.
Pros
great place to obtain tons of experience
Cons
Little room for advancement and no possibility of obtaining a raise
Productive place to call work
Instuctional Aide (Current Employee) –  Downey, CaNovember 21, 2013
Coworkers are supportive and friendly, everyday i learn how to handle different situations. The atmosphere is incomparable, it makes me enjoy work more than i already do.
Pros
Free time before work to eat lunch with coworkers and talk about the day
Cons
healthcare, part-time hours
Fun and Prodctive place to work at. Great energy and you feel comfortable
Recreation Leader - Adventure Camp/Wilderness Camp (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAOctober 24, 2013
Fun and Prodctive place to work at. Great energy and you feel comfortable
Fun work place and was able to communicate with people
Volunteen (Former Employee) –  Downey, CASeptember 3, 2012
A typical day was to go to a park to take care of kids but I also worked a booth where I had to convince people/strangers to play a game at the local Festival. I realized that I have great communication skills. I worked with people my age and some adults. the job wasn't hard at all and the best part was taking care of kids because I enjoy it. I love talking to and meeting new people.
Pros
got to help with kids