City of Durham Employee Reviews in United States

Management issues
Datacenter Engineer (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 23, 2016
No room for advancement in the Technology Solutions Department. Culture of fear. Co-workers are afraid to speak up. Upper management in TS rules by fear and are micro-managers. Morale is at an all-time low and good people are leaving. Not recommended for any IT professional.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Incompetent upper management in TS.
Good
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 26, 2016
A day at work was very diversified. The customers were diversified. The day usually resulted in being of assistance to someone in need of a job or in need of a smile to cheer their day. The day was usally enjoyable. Management and co-workers always pleasant and knowledgeable and willing to assist when asked.
Pros
Helped People in Need of a Job
city of durham
operator (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 26, 2016
working for the city of Durham is fantastic, great benefits and salary. Working for emergency communication is stressful and hard to maintain.
Great work place.
Technical Analyst Support Intern (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 4, 2015
Learned alot using ArcGIS, and how companys hire people. This is just a temp job but I am looking for a full time job. Would be better if they would help me fine a job.
Meeting different people
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 1, 2015
I like this job because of the super customer service that we have to provide it ensure a smooth transition thru out the event
Pros
working with different people
Cons
no benifit
Fast-Paced, High Intensity Job
Telecommunicator/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 28, 2015
A typical day at work is different everyday. Upon arriving for your shift, you are assigned a job duty for the day (ex. call taker, dispatcher). If I am a call taker then I answer all 911 lines for Police, Fire and Ems emergency's and protocol the caller following company policies while maintaining caller and field unit safety. The information is to obtained in a fast paced timely manner while providing excellent customer service. If I am a dispatcher for the day, I dispatch Durham City Police officers to the routed calls while prioritizing calls and constantly maintaining officer status.
I have learned how to further my customer service skills in times of urgency and to become even more time efficient in a fast paced work environment. I also value team work and enjoy helping others when I can. Working at 911 is a high stress job and having a great team beside you makes the job run like a well oiled machine.
The hardest part of the job is not getting closure on the hard calls that are taken in the center. For example, as a call taker, we may spend several minutes on a life threatening emergency and once the medics get on scene, the caller hangs up with the call taker and we don't know what has happened to the patient.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the help that the citizens need and being able to give them a sense of relief and hope while together to insure the best possible help for whatever the situation maybe until a field unit can get on scene and take over. A good outcome always makes for a better day.
Pros
Work 16 days a month, Company Benefits
Cons
Work Holidays and Weekends, Often assigned mandatory overtime even on days off
N/a
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 26, 2015
No comment. I have nothing to say about this employer that would be relevant or helpful to anyone wanting to work there. As long as you don't take a job in the Technology Solutions department, you should be just fine.
Pros
Cordial interactions among staff, decent gym, plenty of good restaurants nearby, excellent coordination of efforts between departments and internal sub-segments
Cons
Incompetent upper management, culture of fear, employees afraid to speak up for fear they'll get fired, micro-management, clunky change management processes, nepotism
Great Development
Emergency Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 16, 2015
The City of Durham offered great career development and opportunities. The City provided growth very wages at fair market value.
Pros
Great Wages
Cons
stressful work
Very productive and I would love to go back
SCALE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 9, 2015
I would come in the work with a smile on my face becasue I loved going there and there were many, many customers waiting on us to get there. I learned how to multi-task the best at this job by answering phones, talking to customers in vehicles and talking to customers as they walked up with questions. My immediate supervisor was awesome and never left us out of anything and we even had luch together. My co-workers were very nice and I love the atmosphere. THe hardest part of my job was saying good bye. I was laid off due to budget cuts. The most enjoyable part of my job was that we all got along each and every day. We love to go to work to see each other. Then we would close out the day by counting our tils and processing reports.
Pros
Not being watched 24-7 and handling things on my own when I had to work by myself.
Administrative Assistant
Data Entry, Staff (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 3, 2015
Data Entry, Clerical, Assisted with mail distribution, Staff meeting, Answered phones, Customer Service worked eight to four thirty Monday thru Friday
Benefits
Great job
Revenue Agent, Collections Division (Former Employee) –  Durham NCJune 1, 2015
Great job and great group of people to work with. The pay isn't that great, but otherwise I loved this job. Lots of room for growth in other departments
Modern City Government Employer
Public Works Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 8, 2015
Durham is a good place to get your "foot in the door" in the public sector field. There are a substantial amount of managers and not enough laborers/technicians to balance out, but if you can configure yourself around that challenge, you can be fine to work here. My opinion is I am sound but don't consider myself wanting to retire from The City of Durham.
Pros
Shift Schedule, Technology, Paperless systems
Cons
Management can be intimidating, Turn over rate is higher than other reputable city's of the same class/size.
Great Place to work
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Durham NCApril 30, 2015
This was an excellent working environment. I enjoyed working with the youth and the community.Iit was a very rewarding experience.
Pros
Cons
Low pay
A great place to work with interesting coworkers
Solid Waste Attendant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 25, 2015
The environment is family orientated with management trusting their staff to do the work they were hired to perform. It allows employees to be creative and innovative. There's a quiet peace that flows as one goes about doing their prospective responsibilities. Management does follow up and it is expected.
Creating programs
Environmental Educator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 22, 2015
There was a lot of autonomy in this position to create new programs and to figure out what the general public was looking for in environment education. I used evaluations to determine this.
Pros
lots of flexibitiy
Cons
supervisor was not great with administrative detail
Fun place to work.
City of Durham Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 26, 2015
Very structured, lots of social interaction. Parking is good. Great retirement, Very diverse working environment and great place to retire.
Pros
good benefits, good hours, social activity.
Cons
too structured.
Forward moving organization
Division Manager (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 1, 2014
The City of Durham is an organization with lots of opportunity for process improvement. The national recognition for a variety of awards has placed the City in a positive light compared to other cities of similar size.

The leadership is open to change and passionate about the City's forward movement in an urban setting. The employees range in tenure from 6 mos to 20+ years. The retention rate of new hires under 35 years old is 3.8 years and for employees older than 35 years is approximately 4.3 years. Key contributors to this are the stringent education requirements, limited upward mobility, and compensation structure.

The challenge of working in the municipality is the bureaucracy associated with 'change'. The most enjoyable part of the job is the work/life balance. There is a huge opportunity to balance work and life activities such that work is not all consuming.
Pros
growing city passionate about community, businesses, and residents
Cons
bureacracy
Meaningful work within the City
Loan Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 7, 2014
We have done and continue to do great work within the city and communities. Projects are on-going throughout the City to help improve the quality of life not only the community as a whole, but each individual within that community.
fun ,outgoing
Heavy equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  city of durham/solid wasteOctober 31, 2014
I love this job & the co-workers that work there. I done a lot of Different things on one job.
Productive and fun workplace
Impact Team Member (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCOctober 7, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was picking up trash off the side of the road. It makes you feel like you are doing a great deed.
Pros
great crew