City of Durham

City of Durham Employee Reviews

Great Development
Emergency Telecommunicator (Former Employee), Durham, NCJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Great Wages
Cons: stressful work
The City of Durham offered great career development and opportunities. The City provided growth very wages at fair market value.
Very productive and I would love to go back
SCALE OPERATOR (Former Employee), Durham, NCJuly 9, 2015
Pros: Not being watched 24-7 and handling things on my own when I had to work by myself.
Cons: Nothing
I would come in the work with a smile on my face becasue I loved going there and there were many, many customers waiting on us to get there. I learned how to multi-task the best at this job by answering phones, talking to customers in vehicles and talking to customers as they walked up with questions. My immediate supervisor was awesome and never left us out of anything and we even had luch together. My co-workers were very nice and I love the atmosphere. THe hardest part of my job was saying good bye. I was laid off due to budget cuts. The most enjoyable part of my job was that we all got along each and every day. We love to go to work to see each other. Then we would close out the day by counting our tils and processing reports.
Administrative Assistant
Data Entry, Staff (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 3, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: None
Data Entry, Clerical, Assisted with mail distribution, Staff meeting, Answered phones, Customer Service worked eight to four thirty Monday thru Friday
Great job
Revenue Agent, Collections Division (Former Employee), Durham NCJune 1, 2015
Great job and great group of people to work with. The pay isn't that great, but otherwise I loved this job. Lots of room for growth in other departments
Modern City Government Employer
Public Works Supervisor (Current Employee), Durham, NCMay 8, 2015
Pros: Shift Schedule, Technology, Paperless systems
Cons: Management can be intimidating, Turn over rate is higher than other reputable city's of the same class/size.
Durham is a good place to get your "foot in the door" in the public sector field. There are a substantial amount of managers and not enough laborers/technicians to balance out, but if you can configure yourself around that challenge, you can be fine to work here. My opinion is I am sound but don't consider myself wanting to retire from The City of Durham.
Great Place to work
Group Leader (Former Employee), Durham NCApril 30, 2015
Pros: Great place to work
Cons: Low pay
This was an excellent working environment. I enjoyed working with the youth and the community.Iit was a very rewarding experience.
A great place to work with interesting coworkers
Solid Waste Attendant (Former Employee), Durham, NCMarch 25, 2015
The environment is family orientated with management trusting their staff to do the work they were hired to perform. It allows employees to be creative and innovative. There's a quiet peace that flows as one goes about doing their prospective responsibilities. Management does follow up and it is expected.
Creating programs
Environmental Educator (Former Employee), Durham, NCMarch 22, 2015
Pros: lots of flexibitiy
Cons: supervisor was not great with administrative detail
There was a lot of autonomy in this position to create new programs and to figure out what the general public was looking for in environment education. I used evaluations to determine this.
Fun place to work.
City of Durham Construction Inspector (Former Employee), Durham, NCFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: good benefits, good hours, social activity.
Cons: too structured.
Very structured, lots of social interaction. Parking is good. Great retirement, Very diverse working environment and great place to retire.
Forward moving organization
Division Manager (Current Employee), Durham, NCDecember 1, 2014
Pros: growing city passionate about community, businesses, and residents
Cons: bureacracy
The City of Durham is an organization with lots of opportunity for process improvement. The national recognition for a variety of awards has placed the City in a positive light compared to other cities of similar size.

The leadership is open to change and passionate about the City's forward movement in an urban setting. The employees range in tenure from 6 mos to 20+ years. The retention rate of new hires under 35 years old is 3.8 years and for employees older than 35 years is approximately 4.3 years. Key contributors to this are the stringent education requirements, limited upward mobility, and compensation structure.

The challenge of working in the municipality is the bureaucracy associated with 'change'. The most enjoyable part of the job is the work/life balance. There is a huge opportunity to balance work and life activities such that work is not all consuming.
Meaningful work within the City
Loan Portfolio Analyst (Current Employee), Durham, NCNovember 7, 2014
We have done and continue to do great work within the city and communities. Projects are on-going throughout the City to help improve the quality of life not only the community as a whole, but each individual within that community.
fun ,outgoing
Heavy equipment Operator (Former Employee), city of durham/solid wasteOctober 31, 2014
I love this job & the co-workers that work there. I done a lot of Different things on one job.
Productive and fun workplace
Impact Team Member (Former Employee), Durham, NCOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great crew
The most enjoyable part of the job was picking up trash off the side of the road. It makes you feel like you are doing a great deed.
A great workplace when in the right department
Communications Officer (Current Employee), Durham, NCOctober 6, 2014
Pros: strong benefits package and competitive compensation
Cons: nepotism, poor financial management, poor employee management
The City of Durham is a robust workplace with highly competitive benefits. Unfortunately, specific departments are riddled with nepotism, lack of upward mobility and poor management. Funds are used inappropriately and management is by fear of job loss.

Other departments thrive by actually implementing the City's stated Culture of Service. Promotions are timely and fair and employees are able to have longevity and positive work life balance.
Work Day
Network Analyst (Current Employee), Durham,NCAugust 8, 2014
Its a great place to work and i have great co workers. I really enjoy the schedule hours
Very good company
Parks and Recreation Facility Event Attendant (Current Employee), Durham, NCAugust 5, 2014
Pros: city of durham
Cons: parks and recreation
Provide excellent customer service to client of city-owned buildings
Customer Billing Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCJune 23, 2014
Pros: could attend weekly meetings.
Cons: location
A fun challenge. My co workers were helpful and patient. The hardest part of the job was driving to it. The most enjoyable was being able to work on my own pace without being micromanaged.
Training program was o.k
Carpenter Helper (Former Employee), Durham, NCJanuary 7, 2014
The City of Durham taught me my carpentry skills, the hardest part of the job was climbing ladders. The management, and trainers were great, and co-workers, some good, some bad. The most enjoyable part of the job was, learning. You're never to old to learn something.
Enjoyed working here
Lead Custodian (Former Employee), 101 CityHall PlazaSeptember 20, 2013
My days at work were busy. Always plenty of work to do. I learned how to do employee time and how to deal with all types of personalities. Management didn't micro-manage and that i enjoyed most of all. The hardest part of the job was dealing with multiple personalities that didn't always get along. The most enjoyable part of my job was when the employees were getting along.
Very exciting job if you can handle the calls and pressure.
Dispatcher / 911 (Former Employee), Durham, NCMay 12, 2013
Pros: 6 days off every 4 weeks
Cons: sometimes you won't get a lunch break. hard to get days off work.
The job has 10 hour shifts and your days change each week on a monthly rotating schedule. You will learn how to multi-task and develop a split ear to listen to the phones and the room. Management is not the best. It is hard to get promoted. All the workers are wonderful and some of the best people you will meet. The hardest part of the job is the pressure they put on you to meet guidelines for emergency call centers. You have to meet many certifications but the salary does not compensate. The most enjoyable part of the job is the gratuity of helping people in times of emergency. That is what I enjoyed the most.

City of Durham Salaries