City of Durham Employee Reviews

A lot of dishonesty
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 19, 2017
Keep to yourself and just do your job. They do not want to see you advance a lot of discrimination going on. Just do your job and go home. You can learn a lot if they are fair.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Work you and do not promote accordlingly
Productive, easy going.
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 26, 2017
Typical day at work was very laid back on most days. Great staff, friendly, approachable and worked very well as a team. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the teens in the program.
Lan Analyst
LAN ANALYST (Local Area Network) (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 25, 2017
Maintain the overall performance of 300 Windows Servers. The environment was a 2003 server farm. The management of these units was shared with a staff of 2 people. The workplace culture was stressful because the size of the support team the management style of the Infrastructure Manager. Most enjoyable part of the job was when I retired
Pros
stable pay check
Cons
too many to list
Great Place
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 11, 2017
Great Place to work nice schedule and great people. Great benefits but very demanding. Job security and room for advancement
Fun group to work with. Learnt much interacting with colleagues.
GIS Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 9, 2017
Enjoyed working with the Engineering-GIS group supporting the whole of Public Works. Was able to interact with various group and gain experience participating in other areas and assisting co-workers in various situations. Attended several job training classes to updated my skills and learn new things Very fulfilling despite the low salary and lack of advancement unless you change divisions.
Flexibility was the best asset that work hours were individualized with much freedom as long the job was done and responsibilities kept. Good working experience and an accommodating supervisor.
Pros
Good Place to work.
Cons
Lack of growth.
Ok place to work
Certified Fork Lift, Scissor Lift & CPR Instructor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 10, 2016
There seems to be favoritism when it comes to promotions, but overall good place to start to learn your trade...then take to a better paying city or private contractor.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
do your homework first
Great benefits
Collector/Driver (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 11, 2016
The benefits are great. For the work,the pay could be a lot better. I am ready to advance my career. My goal is to relocate to Charlotte.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Pay
Steady employment and great benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 3, 2016
City of Durham provides multiple fields of profession. Pay is less than in private sectors, but benefits make up for the minimal compensation. The organization is a bit unorganized, but is making honest efforts to improve. Technology never seems to work as it should,and the system used is not compatible with the level of growth in the city.

Work-life balance depends on the department you work in.
Compensation- could make more doing the same thing in a private sector, but benefits are great-make up for the pay

Job Security- Stable job market, but advancement can be slow depending on department.

Management depending on Dept.

Job Culture- work in progress.
A good place to work.
Lake Attendant (Former Employee) –  Little river Lake, Lake Michie, Durham ncJune 7, 2016
Two or Three 12 Hr. shifts per week, Generally good people to work with, Some management decisions are not the best for the long term.
Pros
Free fishing in your down time
Cons
Some of the rental equipment is old and not in as good of shape as it should be
Titanic
Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 2, 2016
The center needs a major management overhaul. Everyone who is there is always a call away from having their career ended. Management does not stand behind their employees. Reporting to upper management is a waste of time.
Good place for a career minded person
Inventory Specialist (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCApril 6, 2016
Good place to work for a career and future. The compensation plan is very good for the employee and their family. There is job security at the City, with opportunities to advance where you are or move into other areas and departments. I would give the City a 4.5 rating.
Pros
All pros
Cons
No Cons
Management issues
Datacenter Engineer (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 23, 2016
No room for advancement in the Technology Solutions Department. Culture of fear. Co-workers are afraid to speak up. Upper management in TS rules by fear and are micro-managers. Morale is at an all-time low and good people are leaving. Not recommended for any IT professional.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Incompetent upper management in TS.
Good
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 26, 2016
A day at work was very diversified. The customers were diversified. The day usually resulted in being of assistance to someone in need of a job or in need of a smile to cheer their day. The day was usally enjoyable. Management and co-workers always pleasant and knowledgeable and willing to assist when asked.
Pros
Helped People in Need of a Job
city of durham
operator (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 26, 2016
working for the city of Durham is fantastic, great benefits and salary. Working for emergency communication is stressful and hard to maintain.
Great work place.
Technical Analyst Support Intern (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 4, 2015
Learned alot using ArcGIS, and how companys hire people. This is just a temp job but I am looking for a full time job. Would be better if they would help me fine a job.
Meeting different people
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 1, 2015
I like this job because of the super customer service that we have to provide it ensure a smooth transition thru out the event
Pros
working with different people
Cons
no benifit
Fast-Paced, High Intensity Job
Telecommunicator/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 28, 2015
A typical day at work is different everyday. Upon arriving for your shift, you are assigned a job duty for the day (ex. call taker, dispatcher). If I am a call taker then I answer all 911 lines for Police, Fire and Ems emergency's and protocol the caller following company policies while maintaining caller and field unit safety. The information is to obtained in a fast paced timely manner while providing excellent customer service. If I am a dispatcher for the day, I dispatch Durham City Police officers to the routed calls while prioritizing calls and constantly maintaining officer status.
I have learned how to further my customer service skills in times of urgency and to become even more time efficient in a fast paced work environment. I also value team work and enjoy helping others when I can. Working at 911 is a high stress job and having a great team beside you makes the job run like a well oiled machine.
The hardest part of the job is not getting closure on the hard calls that are taken in the center. For example, as a call taker, we may spend several minutes on a life threatening emergency and once the medics get on scene, the caller hangs up with the call taker and we don't know what has happened to the patient.
The most enjoyable part of the job is getting the help that the citizens need and being able to give them a sense of relief and hope while together to insure the best possible help for whatever the situation maybe until a field unit can get on scene and take over. A good outcome always makes for a better day.
Pros
Work 16 days a month, Company Benefits
Cons
Work Holidays and Weekends, Often assigned mandatory overtime even on days off
N/a
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 26, 2015
No comment. I have nothing to say about this employer that would be relevant or helpful to anyone wanting to work there. As long as you don't take a job in the Technology Solutions department, you should be just fine.
Pros
Cordial interactions among staff, decent gym, plenty of good restaurants nearby, excellent coordination of efforts between departments and internal sub-segments
Cons
Incompetent upper management, culture of fear, employees afraid to speak up for fear they'll get fired, micro-management, clunky change management processes, nepotism
Great Development
Emergency Telecommunicator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 16, 2015
The City of Durham offered great career development and opportunities. The City provided growth very wages at fair market value.
Pros
Great Wages
Cons
stressful work
Very productive and I would love to go back
SCALE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 9, 2015
I would come in the work with a smile on my face becasue I loved going there and there were many, many customers waiting on us to get there. I learned how to multi-task the best at this job by answering phones, talking to customers in vehicles and talking to customers as they walked up with questions. My immediate supervisor was awesome and never left us out of anything and we even had luch together. My co-workers were very nice and I love the atmosphere. THe hardest part of my job was saying good bye. I was laid off due to budget cuts. The most enjoyable part of my job was that we all got along each and every day. We love to go to work to see each other. Then we would close out the day by counting our tils and processing reports.
Pros
Not being watched 24-7 and handling things on my own when I had to work by myself.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Durham. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9