City of El Paso

City of El Paso Employer Reviews

Secure, but better pay
Prefer not disclose (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJanuary 31, 2015
Pros: work life
Cons: overall culture
Organizational culture needs serious improvement, mentality is too much us vs. them in reference to leadership teams and hourly employees
Politics is terrible
Pay is terrible and benefits are ridiculously bad
No safety culture
Fun enviroment
Zookeeper (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJanuary 12, 2015
A typical day would start by cleaning the animal enclosures and feeding the animals. Administering medication to the animals that required it. I would continue with the Elephant and Sea Lion training. I learned animal and enclosure maintenance and safety. Elephant and Sea Lion management, how to handle venomous reptiles and received a venomous certification, and how to administer medications. My coworkers were very patient and practiced how to work safely with and around the animals. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the death of an animal. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around the animals.
Very satisfying work place.
Transit Coach Operator (Current Employee), El Paso, TXDecember 9, 2014
Pre-tripping coach vehicle.
logging in to all system.
Learned all routes the Sun metro offers.
Great place to work with children
Youth Activity Specialist (Current Employee), El Paso, TXDecember 7, 2014
20 hours/ per week. Management comes in a few times a week, but great supervision. Worked with co-workers, only a few.
Fun place to work.
Evidence Specialist (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 9, 2014
Pros: laughs
Cons: long hours at times.
I enjoyed the co-workers and atmosphere. Police departments are good to work for.
interacting with great employees
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJune 11, 2014
great job atmosphere. and great employees to work with and great management.
Interesting, fast paced and fun.
Public Safety Communicator (Current Employee), El Paso, TXApril 22, 2014
Pros: work with a wide diverse group of people that you adopt as family.
Cons: shift work, mandatory overtime
It's different yet familiar everyday because depending on the daily assignment and shift, I get to work with very interesting people and the duties differ. I've learned about law enforcement and liability and how important team work can be. As in every job, most co-workers become great friends (family). The hardest part of the job is knowing that even though I've given my all, the outcomes are not always the best. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I've been a small part of saving a life and knowing that co-workers return safely to their loved ones.
City Aquatics
Pool Manager (Former Employee), El Paso, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: schedule, customers
Cons: tediousness
Prepared Staff Schedules, Supervised Staff: Providing Direction, Instruction and Encouragement, Cashier, Cash Deposits, Verified Incoming Shipments, Organized Pool Activities, Regular Chemical Inspections, Inventory Control, Created Monthly Power- point Presentations, Labor/expenditure Budgets, Teach lessons/Coach, and Customer Service Relations
Informative Department
Senior Office Assistant (Current Employee), El Paso, TexasJanuary 9, 2014
Working with the City of El Paso, I have learned to multi task and work well under pressure. I have worked in several departments and have learned a great deal about each department. I have met several different people that have assisted me and have been very helpful. I adapt to my surroundings very well and enjoy working with others.
Engineering Tech.
Engineering Senior Technician (Current Employee), El Paso, TXDecember 22, 2013
Pros: flexability, advancement
Cons: time management
Conduct inspections on all aspect of engineering projects varying from storm water projects to new building construction. My work involves working with architects, engineers, contractors and the general public.
Worked in many Departments - Police, Fire, HR, Sun Metro, Health
HR Specialist (Former Employee), El Paso, TXOctober 8, 2013
Pros: being able to work at my own pace
Cons: parking
I always enjoyed coming to work, Each day was always new and yet enjoyed the schedules and deadlines of timekeeping and payroll.

Management was varied in each department. Some better than others.
Co-workers, again, some departments better than others.
Hardest part, never enough time
Most enjoyable, doing a good job and assisting employees with concerns or issues regarding their payroll or HR needs.
Dont apply for this job its better to work at a fast food restaurant.
pool attendant (Former Employee), El paso texasOctober 5, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: everything
At first you start working there its all good,
Not enough hours to work
Poor Management
Nepotism
No Security
Fun working environment, great knowledge skills, great experience
Office Assistant (Former Employee), El Paso, TXAugust 26, 2013
Office Assistant regular office duties such as answering phones, directing calls, data entry. Great environment, good co-workers.
Great position
PROGRAM ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 30, 2013
Pros: great training opportunities
Cons: long work hours - 10hr workshifts
Work environment was great. Coworkers were very knowledgeable of tasks assigned.
fun place to work at
Youth Activity Specialist (Current Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 26, 2013
Pros: worked well around my schedule
Cons: not enough hours only part time
learned how to be responsible and manage time and people under my supervision. the most enjoyable part was watching and teaching students and workers learn new things.
My first work in the USA
GIS Specialist - Development Services Department (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJuly 19, 2013
Pros: city government process
It was a special place to learn more about the public process and their challenges
No time valued.
Software Specialist II (Current Employee), el paso texasJune 27, 2013
Work at the whim of any city councilman. No respect for working hours.
Great place to work.
Police Officer (Former Employee), El Paso, TXApril 12, 2013
Pros: camraderie
Cons: lesser pay and benefits
The camaraderie and values at this place of employment makes the biggest difference. The community - department connections reaps great benefits.
Museum Life
Service & Security Worker (Current Employee), El Paso, TXMarch 2, 2013
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: some times work is slow.
A typical day at the museum is a simple, quite day. We come in and inspect the building and make any and all preparations needed for the day before opening. I will count the money for the store and make sure merchandiser is stocked properly. I answer calls and direct them to whom the person needs to speak to, or answer any questions the person on the phone may have (such as directions or information on a class). I greet visitors to the museum and inform them of the rooms and what is on display. I also answer any questions about the city itself. depending on the day, I may fold letter, label and stuff envelopes, type up a report, or organize a file, or work on schedules for my supervisor. If new merchandise arrives, I will do inventory and enter the new items into the POS system. At the end of the day, if I am in the store I count out the deposit then secure the building, fill out any necessary paper work and lock the build.
it was a okay place to work
Facilities Maintenance worker (Former Employee), El Paso, TXJanuary 3, 2013
Pros: once in awhile they would give us free lunch
Cons: not really any
most the time i had good days at work , i got along with every one i worked with no problems