City of El Paso Employee Reviews

Horrible Place To Work
Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 23, 2017
The pension for the city takes so much out of your check it's hard to live. They do not give annual pay raises or performance pay raises and there is just no room for opportunity to grow or flourish.
Awesome
Legislative Aide (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 13, 2017
I had a great time working there. all my colleagues were great, they are what i miss the most. It is a great workplace culture and the organization provides great training,
GReat Place
Accounting/Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TX 79901April 3, 2017
Great Place to work at overall is a good place to start pay is not that great but we do have 3 days off and a lot of little events to keep us busy, and you cant get fired unless you do something super bad
Pros
Cons
Pay
Public health
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 23, 2017
Working with the public on health concerns as well as pro action. Great environment to be in. Must have costumer service skills. Working will all age groups.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
10 hour days
government
Accountant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 28, 2017
It is your classic government job, there is a lot of bureaucracy and many individuals who have been there years just waiting for their full pension benefits to
Fun place to work and enjoyed working with animals
Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 8, 2016
Work was always different cause you never new the temperament of the animals .
It was always a learning experiment with so much in this field to know.
Management was as good as can be do to upper management constant changing of ways
Great set of workers to learn from and to be around with
knowing how many neglected animals are out there
Showing the love to them and getting in return was the best
Engineer of City government
Engineering Associate (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 30, 2016
Good place to work.
day are non stressful
work hours are flexible
4 day work week
good management
quality and worthwhile career
been here 5 years and will be here a bit more.
good
bad
Intern (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 11, 2016
In this position, I had the opportunity to experience what really construction management is about, it gave the real life experience.
Poor leadership, lots of nepotism
Environmental Services Account and Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 12, 2016
redundant work, while management openly socializes in front of employees, those employees are forced to make up the slack for all the work not done. learned vital computer skills,
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
poor management, poor pay rate, unaffordable insurances
A great place to work
Zumba Instructor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 4, 2016
I will go to the senior center from the City, and I talk to my students and have fun before my class. When I started y class I instruct my student all of the song, and we dance, sing and have fun at the rhythm of the song. Co-workers were very kind and flexible, what I really enjoy about my job was seeing my students health get better and their life changed just by dancing and having fun
Pros
Very flexible
Cons
No benefits
Great management
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 4, 2016
I learned a great deal working for the City of El Paso. It was a very positive experience and I met some great people. The atmosphere is great and I was able to dabble in many aspects of library work.
Pros
It was very educational and the environment was great.
Cons
It is difficult to move up in the City of El Paso.
Learned about city culture, locations, and landscape
Code Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 15, 2016
I liked working for the City of El Paso. I learned to use maps, GIS, and desert landscape to identify properties. I was provided with training overall to perform the required use of new technology and city vehicles. Only drawback was replacement of temporary supervisor while filling vacant position. Some temporary supervisors did not have people skills and not properly trained which caused problems in communication and service.
Pros
Flex time and tuition reimbursement. Employee recognition
Cons
Public disrespectful to employees
Great Opportunty
Intern then Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 11, 2016
I would go to class then do my internship at Veteran's Park. I really enjoyed reaching out to all the student's I provided them with a way to complete their homework. Then we would talk about their problems and I would provide support and recommend ways to solve them.
Pros
I was doing what I enjoyed and my internship as well.
Cons
It was a short time to help people then I had to leave them not knowing the outcome.
productive busy place to work
On-Site Technical Support Response Services (Former Employee) –  El Paso TexasFebruary 4, 2016
help desk at el paso texas, overall it keeps an employee busy and all co-workers great .. calls came constant and help me help people i loved working with my partners and helping the city employees
Great Part-Time and summer job
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Day usually consisted of interacting with patrons, helping in anyway possible to make their visit more pleasant. When i wasn't tending to a patron, monitoring the pool was my main duty, and providing first- aid , and CPR if an accident or drowning were to occur. One thing I really liked was that were several occasions where a child was drowning, and I had to perform a rescue, becuase of those situations I was always attentive when monitoring the pool. Another interesting advantage of working for the city was the wide range of positions available, such as summer coaches and swimming instructors. All of which I took the benefit of working. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the routine. Staying on our toes helps but, there are days when you have to find something to do.
Work with a small but knowledgable staff in the arts that diligently works to improve the quality of life for El Paso residents
Marketing & Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Downtown El PasoNovember 14, 2015
The Museums and Cultural Affairs Department is a great opportunity to for an entry level candidate looking to get their feet wet in the arts and learn about many other facets of local government.
Pros
flexible schedule, great location
Cons
limited budgets
It Was Great The First Years, The Last, Too Much Work, Retired.
Traffic Signs Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 20, 2015
I Enjoyed Going To Work At First, I Enjoyed My Work Mates, Getting My Work Done, Cross-Training For Other Assignments, But As I Tried To Advance To Higher Positions, I Saw That Favoritism Was Rampant Throughout The Department And I Decided To Retire.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Favoritism
Professional and Positive Work Environment
Voe Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 18, 2015
A typical day at work was to greet people and refereed them to the proper agent in our department as well as daily secretary skills. Every day was a learning experience as all co-workers were helpful. I enjoyed net working.
Pros
I was able to inprove my skills
Cons
Slow work environment
City of El Paso
Youth Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Parks and RecreationJuly 9, 2015
I worked for the City of El Paso for four years. I love kids and I'm really good at my job. This job is only part-time and pays 7.25/hr for 20hr/week.
On a typical day I come in 30min early to a 2-6pm shift. I head to the cabinets and retrieve the items and paperwork I need to start the day. On Mondays, you have to go to the schools office and get a list that was emailed to her/him from your supervisor. The list has the kids that are paid for that week, you call the parents that haven't paid for the kids for that week. The kids come out at 3:15pm, so at that time we feed them and do homework, after homework I set up activities like board games, sports, and arts and crafts. Around 6pm the parents come for there kids.
What I took from this job was communication, curriculum, motivation, and patience.
Management- Good the most part you only see them during training, your supervisor sends coordinators to help or assist you.
Your co-workers very, depending which site/school you go to you may find a lazy co-worker or a hard working one.
The hardest part of the job was the ratio, in the City they push the ratio to kid to adult up. For one adult theirs 19 kids and trust me kids will get hurt.
What I enjoyed the most of my job is kids, for a year time you get attached and fill back when you get transferred to a different location.
Pros
Kids, activities, fun
Cons
Pay, hours, and ratio
good place to work if outside person
Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 6, 2015
Good Place to work benefits ok good people all around Just do your job no less no more you should be ok. For me pay is to low no future.
Pros
pension
Cons
cost of benefits and what is discounted from check

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of El Paso. Our community is ready to answer.

City of El Paso Reviews by Location