City of El Paso Employee Reviews in United States

Learned about city culture, locations, and landscape
Code Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 15, 2016
I liked working for the City of El Paso. I learned to use maps, GIS, and desert landscape to identify properties. I was provided with training overall to perform the required use of new technology and city vehicles. Only drawback was replacement of temporary supervisor while filling vacant position. Some temporary supervisors did not have people skills and not properly trained which caused problems in communication and service.
Pros
Flex time and tuition reimbursement. Employee recognition
Cons
Public disrespectful to employees
Great Opportunty
Intern then Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 11, 2016
I would go to class then do my internship at Veteran's Park. I really enjoyed reaching out to all the student's I provided them with a way to complete their homework. Then we would talk about their problems and I would provide support and recommend ways to solve them.
Pros
I was doing what I enjoyed and my internship as well.
Cons
It was a short time to help people then I had to leave them not knowing the outcome.
Poor leadership, lots of nepotism
Environmental Services Account and Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 12, 2016
redundant work, while management openly socializes in front of employees, those employees are forced to make up the slack for all the work not done. learned vital computer skills,
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
poor management, poor pay rate, unaffordable insurances
Great management
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 4, 2016
I learned a great deal working for the City of El Paso. It was a very positive experience and I met some great people. The atmosphere is great and I was able to dabble in many aspects of library work.
Pros
It was very educational and the environment was great.
Cons
It is difficult to move up in the City of El Paso.
Great Part-Time and summer job
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 19, 2016
Day usually consisted of interacting with patrons, helping in anyway possible to make their visit more pleasant. When i wasn't tending to a patron, monitoring the pool was my main duty, and providing first- aid , and CPR if an accident or drowning were to occur. One thing I really liked was that were several occasions where a child was drowning, and I had to perform a rescue, becuase of those situations I was always attentive when monitoring the pool. Another interesting advantage of working for the city was the wide range of positions available, such as summer coaches and swimming instructors. All of which I took the benefit of working. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the routine. Staying on our toes helps but, there are days when you have to find something to do.
productive busy place to work
On-Site Technical Support Response Services (Former Employee) –  El Paso TexasFebruary 4, 2016
help desk at el paso texas, overall it keeps an employee busy and all co-workers great .. calls came constant and help me help people i loved working with my partners and helping the city employees
Work with a small but knowledgable staff in the arts that diligently works to improve the quality of life for El Paso residents
Marketing & Production Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Downtown El PasoNovember 14, 2015
The Museums and Cultural Affairs Department is a great opportunity to for an entry level candidate looking to get their feet wet in the arts and learn about many other facets of local government.
Pros
flexible schedule, great location
Cons
limited budgets
It Was Great The First Years, The Last, Too Much Work, Retired.
Traffic Signs Technician (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 20, 2015
I Enjoyed Going To Work At First, I Enjoyed My Work Mates, Getting My Work Done, Cross-Training For Other Assignments, But As I Tried To Advance To Higher Positions, I Saw That Favoritism Was Rampant Throughout The Department And I Decided To Retire.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Favoritism
Professional and Positive Work Environment
Voe Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 18, 2015
A typical day at work was to greet people and refereed them to the proper agent in our department as well as daily secretary skills. Every day was a learning experience as all co-workers were helpful. I enjoyed net working.
Pros
I was able to inprove my skills
Cons
Slow work environment
Fun enviroment
Zookeeper (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 12, 2015
A typical day would start by cleaning the animal enclosures and feeding the animals. Administering medication to the animals that required it. I would continue with the Elephant and Sea Lion training. I learned animal and enclosure maintenance and safety. Elephant and Sea Lion management, how to handle venomous reptiles and received a venomous certification, and how to administer medications. My coworkers were very patient and practiced how to work safely with and around the animals. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the death of an animal. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around the animals.
good place to work if outside person
Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 6, 2015
Good Place to work benefits ok good people all around Just do your job no less no more you should be ok. For me pay is to low no future.
Pros
pension
Cons
cost of benefits and what is discounted from check
Secure, but better pay
Prefer not disclose (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 31, 2015
Organizational culture needs serious improvement, mentality is too much us vs. them in reference to leadership teams and hourly employees
Politics is terrible
Pay is terrible and benefits are ridiculously bad
No safety culture
Pros
work life
Cons
overall culture
Interesting, fast paced and fun.
Public Safety Communicator (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXApril 22, 2014
It's different yet familiar everyday because depending on the daily assignment and shift, I get to work with very interesting people and the duties differ. I've learned about law enforcement and liability and how important team work can be. As in every job, most co-workers become great friends (family). The hardest part of the job is knowing that even though I've given my all, the outcomes are not always the best. The most enjoyable part of the job is when I've been a small part of saving a life and knowing that co-workers return safely to their loved ones.
Pros
work with a wide diverse group of people that you adopt as family.
Cons
shift work, mandatory overtime
Worked in many Departments - Police, Fire, HR, Sun Metro, Health
HR Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 8, 2013
I always enjoyed coming to work, Each day was always new and yet enjoyed the schedules and deadlines of timekeeping and payroll.

Management was varied in each department. Some better than others.
Co-workers, again, some departments better than others.
Hardest part, never enough time
Most enjoyable, doing a good job and assisting employees with concerns or issues regarding their payroll or HR needs.
Pros
being able to work at my own pace
Cons
parking
Great Position for those seeking part time work.
Youth Activities Specialist (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 30, 2012
Typical day come in at 2 pm start setting up the recreational facility for after school program, children come in at 3:15, play games, do homework, do an arts and craft, have snack if they provided one, go outside and play on the playground or a pre planned activity such as tennis, scoccer, tag. Ocassionally depending on weather watch a movie, and on particular days of week we taught tennis or a health program. Co-workers were great, I loved the management as well. Hardest part of job is having patience to work with these children. Most enjoyable part of the job is the Kids. They make you laugh and smile.
Pros
working with kids, 4 hrs 5 days a week
Cons
there are none.
City Aquatics
Pool Manager (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Prepared Staff Schedules, Supervised Staff: Providing Direction, Instruction and Encouragement, Cashier, Cash Deposits, Verified Incoming Shipments, Organized Pool Activities, Regular Chemical Inspections, Inventory Control, Created Monthly Power- point Presentations, Labor/expenditure Budgets, Teach lessons/Coach, and Customer Service Relations
Pros
schedule, customers
Cons
tediousness
Informative Department
Senior Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TexasJanuary 9, 2014
Working with the City of El Paso, I have learned to multi task and work well under pressure. I have worked in several departments and have learned a great deal about each department. I have met several different people that have assisted me and have been very helpful. I adapt to my surroundings very well and enjoy working with others.
Nice place to work
Senior Office Assistant - CRCC (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 5, 2015
Everyday you learn something different very interesting place to work. Great co-workers. Excellent working environment and management.
Productive and a great working environment
Senior Secretary (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 3, 2015
The City of El Paso is a fun and fast paced place to work at. The management staff are great people to work with and very supportive.
Pros
flexible
Cons
non
City of El Paso
Youth Activity Specialist (Former Employee) –  Parks and RecreationJuly 9, 2015
I worked for the City of El Paso for four years. I love kids and I'm really good at my job. This job is only part-time and pays 7.25/hr for 20hr/week.
On a typical day I come in 30min early to a 2-6pm shift. I head to the cabinets and retrieve the items and paperwork I need to start the day. On Mondays, you have to go to the schools office and get a list that was emailed to her/him from your supervisor. The list has the kids that are paid for that week, you call the parents that haven't paid for the kids for that week. The kids come out at 3:15pm, so at that time we feed them and do homework, after homework I set up activities like board games, sports, and arts and crafts. Around 6pm the parents come for there kids.
What I took from this job was communication, curriculum, motivation, and patience.
Management- Good the most part you only see them during training, your supervisor sends coordinators to help or assist you.
Your co-workers very, depending which site/school you go to you may find a lazy co-worker or a hard working one.
The hardest part of the job was the ratio, in the City they push the ratio to kid to adult up. For one adult theirs 19 kids and trust me kids will get hurt.
What I enjoyed the most of my job is kids, for a year time you get attached and fill back when you get transferred to a different location.
Pros
Kids, activities, fun
Cons
Pay, hours, and ratio