City of Evanston Employee Reviews in United States

Great with room to grow
Intern (Current Employee) –  very nice college townMarch 25, 2016
The company encourages you to apply to positions within the company

You can find all different areas of work

I liked meeting different people from different departments
Very good workplace environment
Facility Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 17, 2016
I supervised the other workers, drove the Zamboni Machine, helped with keeping the facility clean, also had to lock up the facility some nights.
Pros
Able to dictate when I took a break or lunch
Cons
Working weekends would have preferred a Monday thru Friday job
good
PT Custodian/Back-up Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  evanston illinoisOctober 2, 2015
fun place to work with supportive management not all but the numbers but how you enjoyed working for the people you were with all the time as a part time worker
Productive workplace with friendly people.
Public Works Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILMay 6, 2015
A typical at the City of Evanston was answering phones, helping Evanston residents with any questions or concerns. I learned about my community and how to work Microsoft excel. Since this is the City of Evanston with many departments, as far as management I can only speak from the department I was exposed to. Management was organized and supervisors were easy to get along with. They always kept me busy, and presented me with new projects on a day-to-day basis.
Everyone at the Civic Center were friendly individuals. Whether they were a field worker or an office assistant, everyone was open-minded and created a laid back environment. The most difficult part of my job was when I was given work, with minimal directions or none at. Dealing with residents who were hostile was a challenge, but then I'd transfer them to higher authority.
I enjoyed days working with the Cit of Evanston. It was very mellow, and interacting with my co-workers was the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Laid back environment, hour lunch breaks
Cons
Angry customers, slow days
Diverse City
Police Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 23, 2015
A diverse community with a goal to improve the lives of its residents by offering a transparent and accountable government. A beautiful downtown and lakefront offering a wide array of activities for families in addition to singles.
Nice place to work
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Evanston, ILFebruary 6, 2015
Everyone is very supportive, nice, and friendly. I love the benefits. We do not get paid during the summer break. The parking enforce staff are very supportive.
Pros
nice benefits
Cons
sometimes it is very difficult to work during the winter outside
Enjoyed learning how to work on a team and with juveniles.
Juvenile Drug Court Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYJuly 25, 2014
A typical day working as a juvenile case manager was keeping track of each of my clients day to day activities, working with probation officers, school resource officers, treatment teams, and parents to assist each individual in progressing successfully through the program. Facilitated weekly staff meetings to discuss each client and worked on assisting them through the program. Most enjoyable part of my job was working with each juvenile helping them set goals and watching them progress through the program.
Pros
enjoyed working with juveniles and working with the team members.
Cons
contract was not renewed so i was no longer able to do my job.
Good Job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILFebruary 3, 2014
Being a seasonal thing it was a good experience. Love kids and it was almost easy as it gets besides cleaning up after 5 year olds.
Productive and Field Trips
Camp & Afterschool Counselor (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILOctober 5, 2013
The day usually started at 8:00 am, the kids usually would arrive at 8:30-9:00. As they arrived they would go in the gym after their parents signed them in, they would play with the other kids they were already there. At about 9:30 or so we would do the morning verse and exercises. Then there would be some thing educational for the kids to do or we would get ready to go on the field trip that was planned for the day. I learned to handle multiple children at once, even though I had another person helping me. My co-workers were good to work with didn't have any problems with anyone. Hardest part would have been when I was left alone with the group alone and the would get completely out of control. The most enjoyable part of my job was being around the kids and having fun.
Good people
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 6, 2013
Patrolling the city parks of my home town, what's not to like? The only problem that I had, is that it was only a seasonal position.
Pros
compensation
Cons
only seasonal
GIS Department
GIS Intern (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILSeptember 5, 2012
This job dealt with digitizing sewer and water information to be used by the maintenance crew.
Fun work place and productive
Community Clean-Up (summers only) (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILAugust 21, 2012
A typical work day consisted of cleaning debris from alleys and parks. The hardest part of the job was learning to operate new tools and waiting for other team to finish their job.
Very fun environment for young adults
Lakefront Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILApril 11, 2012
A community of young adults working together and supervising each other everyday. We basically got paid to get tan unless we were actively on duty in the lifeguarding chair. We were always ready to respond, but it was a relaxed job environment.
Pros
working with other young people/friends/classmates, easy job unless an emergency situation arose
Cons
always in the sun, popularity effected harshness from supervisors
Government
Supervisor for Streets and Sanitation Department (Former Employee) –  Evanston, ILMarch 9, 2012
A good place to work, good health care package,fine people to work with.
Pros
health care
Cons
politics

4.3