CITY OF FRESNO Employee Reviews in United States

I love working for the City of Fresno
Community Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 4, 2016
I have learned to be more out going. I have made tons of contacts with the people of this community that I would not have otherwise.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits for part-time or advancement in this position.
Very Helpful
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 11, 2016
Helpful in training and assistance.

Hardest part is the first day of employment.

Also, when dealing with the public you need to be prepared, flexible and always treat people with a smile.
Pros
Irate client always customer is first
Cons
I am part-time temporary with AARP. This is work while I still do job search for permanent work.
A excellent range of learning experience's.
Admin. Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJanuary 26, 2015
Working for the City of Fresno was the greatest work experience I have had. Each department is like a Family away from home. Yet they plan events that include Family. Good Benefits.
You are able to advance at your own pace. The have yearly reviews, and raises. When there are job openings you can test for the position. Management was always willing to help. You just have to ask and they are there.
Pros
there is no limit to how far you can advance
Cons
some of the tests are tough.
Great People
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Good and challenging place to work with many opportunity for advancement.

Fantastic coworkers funny and eager to share the knowledge and work experience.
Fun with various activites for the children
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 10, 2013
I worked on school sites in the after school program assisting children in various table games, field activities and helping with there homework assignments. I learned in interact with the children and be involved with them in all sorts of activities. Soccer, track, four square, checkers, volleyball etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I could set the tone for the children who would take part in these activities. The hardest part was kicking the children out of the program who had behavior problems or who didn't want to simply play by the rules.
Pros
i could bring my child to work with me.
Cons
part-time and no benefits.
professional, reliable, works well with people
FAX Temporary Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 24, 2015
Acceptable place to work with the public and meet time for pickup and dropoff locations. management was supportive and motivating
Dedicated Workforce
Utility Sevice Rep 2 (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 19, 2015
It's govt. Need I say more? Red tape and top down management suppresses innovation and efficiency. However through it all the workforce continue to provide the best service possible to the people.
Pros
The people
Cons
It's govt
Productive complex place to work where time goes by fast.
Administrative Clerk II - Records Bureau (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 26, 2014
Hard working knowledgeable staff, who with the right mix of people are very upbeat and fun, and work hard at serving our citizens. Management works diligently at being fair. We have briefing for about 30 minutes in the morning with latest work related news first as well as other news, both public and personal. When there is adequate staff coverage productivity soars and myself and co workers experience a great deal of satisfaction. Ironically when we are understaffed it seems the phones ring non stop, often with only one person to answer for the majority of the day. I am usually at the law counter where we address the faxed requests, insurance, and customers on the phone. Honestly I cant' describe all that I have learned, it seems there is always something new that occurs which makes a 10 hour day go by very fast. It can be very challenging and exhausting sometimes and I find it is very difficult to adjust to being at work as early as 6 am. Also it takes about 5 minutes to walk to my vehicle from the parking lot and I have to pay for parking, One of my co workers got hit by a vehicle one dark morning when, either it was the street or signal lights out
Pros
the time goes by very fast.
Cons
staff shortage with many who will soon retire, early hours.
Great
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  FresnoMay 11, 2015
Great! I liked working there.
Easy, loved working with and for the kids.
• Trained staff to conduct events and safety procedures.
• Coordinated resuscitation and first aid classes. Apply resuscitation techniques when necessary.
• Completed reports for injury, accidents and other incidents.
• All other duties as assigned.
all good ,great place to work at.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 7, 2015
over all great place to work,had a supervisor who felt cheated out of a promotion,let us know how he felt every day.was always angry.
fun work place and thankful for the expirence
Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  fresno, caMay 24, 2012
very easy laid back. would organize daily activities for the special needs programs and events. Would also prep soccer and softball fields to be game ready. i learned how to work with teens and adults with disabilities, i loved every minute of my job!!! the hardest part was seeing the two different sides of the clients when they breakout and also the way people treated them.
Pros
the expierence is like no other
Cons
upper management didnt care as much as staff
Serving the public as a sworn officer was a remarkable experience.
Police Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 17, 2012
Being a first-responder to emergency and non-emergency situations throughout the City of Fresno was often hectic yet rewarding. Investigations of criminal activity from homicides to petty thefts, accidents involving vehicles or industry, and helping residence and business owners feel safe. I learned that most people are good hearted and want the best for their families and communities. Our managers were tasked with setting attainable goals to lower crime and maintain order. The most difficult part of the job was seeing people hurt or deceased. The most rewarding part of the job was helping people and leaving them in a better situation than you found them
Project Proposals & Reviews Ca Be Controversial
Housing & Community Development-Commissioner (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 3, 2012
I work for the City of Fresno as a Commissioner where I sit on a panel with six amazing community leaders. On a bi-weekly basis, we are presented with various development projects, usually affordable income multi-family rehab and new developments requesting grant and city funding. The best part about this position is to provide input on how these projects can best benefit the community it is serving and enhance the greater community. Reading each proposal has broadened my knowledge base on multi-family development and the time it takes to see these projects come to fruition.
Pros
stipened meetings
Cons
heated community members pro-long meetings
Interesting and challenging work place is a plus.
Police Detective/Financial Crimes (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 20, 2012
During college I was hired on at the Fresno Police Department and found helping others very gratifying and rewarding. Being employed there for the last 37 years has led me to fascinating experiences, ranging from being in a marked patrol vehicle as a uniformed police officers and as a field-training officer. I enjoyed transferring the skills that I obtained to new officers. I have investigated nearly every type of case imaginable from homicides to financial crimes. Furthermore, I have been a member of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team. I have also been assigned to the air support unit where I obtained my helicopter license. Furthermore, I am privileged to have had the opportunity to teach investigative report writing and weaponless defense at the advanced officers police academy. I believe that these experiences provide me with the practical knowledge of the law enforcement filed.
uncertain work schedule
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 16, 2013
At any given time or day, constituents could walk in and demand to speak with the council member. So with that being said, other than my day to day obligations which was provide assistance to the staff and council member, I learned to deal with a variety of personalities, elected officials, city employees, and co-workers. Hardest part was being understanding to many different groups and/or individuals. Most enjoyable was working in a public service that and the end of the day, was very satisfying to me because I did my best daily.
Pros
many invitations to local events within the district
Cons
not a salaried position
great company to work for they take care of you
Maintenance constrution worker (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 19, 2012
The supervisor is a good guy he remembers how it is in the field so he does what he can to make the job safer and easier, I learned how to do concrete and pave streets , the manager of the department is a good guy too he does what he can to make us know how good of work we do . The hardest part of the job would be working in the heat , the enjoyable part is not working in the same spot every day .
Pros
to work four 10 hour day and having three days off
Cons
the summer gets very hot when we had to pave, and watching traffic
Productive and fun work place.
FAX Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 21, 2014
A typical work day is driving the city bus for 8-10 hours a day full of passengers. Picking up and dropping off different, interesting people and taking them to their destinations in a timely manner. My co-workers are an awesome and exciting bunch of drivers! The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to talk to and be apart of my passengers lives.
it was terrible
Service Aid (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 22, 2012
no review, because we got laid-off , so we didnt have much job security once the new mayor came in
Pros
didnt have to clock out for lunch
Cons
we got laid-off
Okay
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 4, 2012
Very Fun good job for a student
i learned how to teach swim lessons the management was awesome
Pros
customer service skills
Cons
seasonal positions
Positive and fun workplace
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 2, 2012
typical day consists of arriving at elementary schools to fun filled and enthusiastic children ready to play games, school employees were great to work with, i learned how quickly get children to comply, hardest part? none.
Pros
great balance between work and personal life

CITY OF FRESNO Reviews by Location