City of Garland Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 30, 2017
I only worked a temporary position which lasted 7 months, but in that time I really enjoyed working for the City of Garland. You don]t get benefits when you're a temp, but once you become full time they offer great benefits. The majority of employees are long time employees, and they're very good at promoting from within. Good pay, good managers, and enjoyable atmosphere.

My only con would be the way they run the Temp positions. Instead of hiring someone full time for a position, they sometimes will hire a temp for 6 months, and after the 6 months are over they will let that person go and hire a new person to start another 6 month in that same position. It would make more sense to just hire one person full time.
Pros
Good Pay, Great Coworkers and Managers, Fun place to work.
Cons
Temporary positions
It's a job
Deputy Sheriff/Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 30, 2017
I would for the police department. It was an enjoyable time there. All equipment that is needed to complete the job is available. They do pay competitive compare to others in the area.
Team work, enjoy working for Garland
School Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 26, 2017
I enjoy working with the other Garland Crossing Guards, we don't have many hours, but that is why the pay is more. This is an important position because we have too many kids being hit do to drivers not paying attention.
Pros
Working with the elementary is pleasant, you meet their parents, etc.
Cons
Almost getting hit by drivers not paying attention & realizing they can't block a crosswalk, whether occupied or not.
Family Oriented enviroment
Contact Center Representative I (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 31, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my day was utilizing all my years of customer service experience to help resolve both external and external customers needs.
Office manager is manipulating and has agenda.
Safety Specialist EWS (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXMay 22, 2017
Office manager is manipulating and has agenda. She micro-manages to the extreme. Operators and supervisors are great folks. I would not recommend working for EWS until management changes. It's a very toxic environment.
Pros
Operators really care
Cons
Office manager
Busy but Good work
Box Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXMay 12, 2017
I work as an aide within a Garland ISD school and it is nice to not have the hectic schedules and paperwork amount of teachers. However, the downside is that I often get pulled to cover classes and that is NOT part of my job description.

Pros: Summers off, spring break, Thanksgiving week off, etc...The employee clinic is WONDERFUL to have and you will never find nicer co-workers.

Cons: The insurance plans are not great, they use you for jobs that do not fall in your job description and you often find out many things last minute.
Pros
lots of school breaks off, employee clinic low cost, lots of teacher discounts
Cons
poor insurance choices, doing things outside your job description without warning or courtesy asking
nice job to be outside
Park Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXApril 9, 2017
It is a good job to be out doors.
To know that what you do is affecting to city in some kind of way.
To see the familys go out and interact with the stuff you repair or put in.
Rewarding and fun work place
Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Garland, TX 75040March 15, 2017
The job is very rewarding because ensure that every guest that enters our park, leaves the park. We provide fun experiences for families to enjoy in the summer.
Pros
Flexible hours
Friendly environment, fun work place, with room for advancement.
Driver/ Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJanuary 12, 2017
The day started at 7 am, and was able to work at own pace with a somewhat flexible time limit. Constantly interacting with the public, serving their needs. I learned customer relations, and the inner workings of the company. Management was very helpful, and able to have one on one interactions. The co-workers were easy to get along with and the camaraderie was unmatched. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the elements. Rain, Shine, Sleet, or Snow was the norm. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with my immediate Supervisor, and other employee's to reach a common goal and the feelings of accomplishment I received after.
Pros
4 Day work weeks, Excellent benefits, healthcare, etc. Employee appreciation.
Cons
Dealing with the elements.
Productive and fun work place
General Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXJanuary 5, 2017
Everyone at the city is very helpful and kind. I work in HR with benefits so I work with the employees, retirees, future employees and citizens of the city. I love being here, however my position is temporary. The City of Garland is an awesome city to work for.

Want to know more about City of Garland?

Ask a question
Fun & Enjoyable
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXDecember 28, 2016
Worked at the Bradfield pool as a swim instructor. It was a great and wonderful experience. I felt fulfilled and I felt safe and able to express my concerns with the aquatics director. I would go back if needed!
Good job if you want to be the average joe
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXOctober 22, 2016
Good place to be if you are just a mediocre operator and want to barely get by on money. The plus side is you have tons of free time and can have a side business
Pros
Benefits and of course city hours
Cons
Not enough money and takes 20 years of employment to move up to a management position
Disorganized
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 1, 2016
Working for the City of Garland was crazy to say the least. The attitude was "If its not broke, don't fix it." We used paper work that was made in 1987. Management would micromanage you every second of the day. I always felt as if I was going to lose my job. The pay is probably the lowest around. Very under staffed and the list of projects keep getting listed but nothing is ever getting crossed off. Also at my interview I was asked 1 question "Can you do that?" and that was after the job description was read to me.
Cons
short monitored breaks, low pay, micro-management
Great atmosphere!
Contact Center Representative II (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXMarch 28, 2016
Fun! Fun! Fun! Everyone is great! Convenient! Call Center
dept. everyone works as a team, and gets along great. Lots of great potential, great minds, and hard working individual.
Cons
shore break- not flexible- no OT
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXNovember 14, 2015
This company offers excellent benefits and provides opportunities for development though working with other departments. I would recommend this place to work.
Terrible atmosphere
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  TexasOctober 16, 2015
I work in a place where the management is contentious, difficult, and poorly executed. Family is not considered, not is the individual. Severely understaffed and nothing is being done about it. However, the clientele are fantastic.
Very Nice workplace.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXAugust 30, 2015
Assisting customers who came to the facility.
Cleaning the facility when it closed and cleaned facility.

My coworkers were very skilled and hardworking.

I really enjoyed the ease of the job, and being knowledgeable and able to help people out.
Pros
Part Time Flexible Schedule
Fun workplace, that teaches a lot of great skills
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Garland, TxAugust 11, 2015
A great place to work that teaches you how to work as a cohesive team member. Its a fun place to work, you are sure to meet a lot of great coworkers. Work load is not to much, but you cant just slack off all the time either.
Pros
Teaches a lot of great job, and life skills
Cons
Competition for work hours, Limited advancement
great place to work/ great people
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Code EnforcementAugust 1, 2015
• Applications Acceptance/Renewals/data entry processing/payment processing over the phone and in person
• Scheduling inspections for inspectors
• Landlord Training Class Research/Preparation/registrations
• Incoming Email Response to Applications and open records(receive/research/deliver)
• Deposit Closing/Processing
• Data Entry Quality Control
• Daily Filing
• Red Tags (commercial & residential)
• Phone Calls (back to back in Spanish and English: taking complaints, payments, and )
• Payroll
• Payables
• Notarizing
• Responding to daily Phone Messages on 4 lines (Main line/Spanish line/my line/rental registration line
• Ordering Office Supplies
• Uniform processing for embroidery
• Ordering Cartridges
• Monthly Report Totals (red tags/ work orders/ citations/rental/finance)
• Office Machine Maintenance/Supplies
• Ordering/Auditing Citation Books, ordering business cards and envelopes
• Notices of Violation (printing/stuffing/stamping) avg of 2000 per day
• Graffiti, land care work orders for properties with violations
• Federal Lawn Care Assistance Program/ admissions
• COG Property Mowings
• Weekly Finance System Reports
• Citations (sending to citizens)
• Incoming Mail distribution
• Vehicle Tags/ printing and or ordering
Pros
one hour lunch/ family like environment/ two weeks vacation pay intially/ TMRS
Cons
stressful
Assisting Residential and Commercial customers with trash collection.
EWS - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 23, 2015
I enjoy working for the City of Garland Environmental Waste Services. I enjoyed public interaction and the "Service On Unbelievable Levels" is not just our slogan but our pleasure! I am currently Dispatcher to communicate residential and commercial inquiries and requests to the Field Supervisors. The Direction of this department is very good. I also enjoy the fast paced and quick response time necessary to carry out day to day functions. The City of Garland promotes a TEAM attitude.
Pros
Employee Recognition
Cons
Lack of training new hires for all job functions.