City of Grand Prairie Employee Reviews

Relaxed and friendly work enviroment
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXApril 17, 2017
This is honestly the best job I've had and if it was full time I would have gladly stayed. The compensation that I received for the work I did was more than fair and my coworkers were friendly and always willing to help when asked.
Management was poor
Field Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXApril 4, 2017
Supervisor was somewhat at odds for employees on what daily tasks we were doing
We sometimes did not have the correct tools to do the job when we were on site.
Good place for learning and experience
Environmental Quality Intern (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMarch 30, 2017
The company provides great balance between learning opportunities and working experiences. The manager there was excellent and can wisely allocate jobs which you can learn from or to contribute to the company.
Productive environment!
Public Arts Intern (Former Employee) –  City of Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 27, 2017
Loved working here, You evolve as an individual! You are allowed to give your input and often an important role is all projects!
Pros
Self-time management
Cons
Can't think of any!
Great Internship Program
Intern Designer (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 24, 2017
A typical day at work was non existent because every day was different. I leaned how to work with various other departments to achieve one goal. The management was great below the director. Workplace culture was great. Hardest part of the job was pleasing the citizens. Most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers and the digital billboards I got to design.
Great place to work!
Intern, Budget and Research (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXOctober 21, 2016
This is a great place to work! Management and staff really do care about employee growth and opportunities. They are really great about retaining and coaching up talent.
Productive City to work in.
Sr. Account Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 26, 2016
It is a good city to work in. They are flexible with the work schedules, and assist in getting more education and training.
fun place
Keep Grand Prairie Beautiful Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 11, 2016
awesome job. i love what i do. no complaints at the moment one year working there.learning alot of new things the people are great
productive work place
Senior Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJuly 18, 2016
Overall good place to work. Nice work environment with great benefits. Busy work environment with ability to apply for different positions as they become available.. They provided health fairs to employees. Learned different accounting functions while here over the 25 years I was employed.
Staff team work was great!
City Life Guard, I (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXApril 24, 2016
working at the pool everyone always seemed to have am amazing time. we could all work together and made really good friends while we were there.
Pros
Staff
Cons
too many people during the sumer!!
Great atmosphere
Library Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXApril 21, 2016
At the Grand Prairie Public Library system we offer free and equal access to information for people of all means, background and ages through connections, discovery and education/ Services and availability may vary by library.
police officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXDecember 28, 2015
Good place to work at and build a career in law enforcement with the latitude to do your job as it should be.

Shift work

Civil Service
Awesome Place to Work!
Signs and Markings Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXNovember 20, 2015
This is an awesome place to work! The City of Grand Prairie is a place where people respect you and treat you like family. The hours are great, and the management is top-notch!
good compensation and benefit.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXAugust 25, 2015
good place to work for, good compensation and nice benefit. management is alright the culture is ok. Overall rating should be four star
Pros
good benefit
Very informative at making sure you understand your job.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXAugust 4, 2015
It started out as just a job in 1986, and rapidly turned into a career! I enjoyed the accomplishment of being able to finish my routes when reading meters. Being able to get a better paying job and learn new skills as a maintenance worker was a wonderful accomplishment. and experience, I am grateful to the city for offering me that opportunity since I was the only female doing that job. The office experience made it a full circle as far as seeing how everything is put together from the customer, to the installation and their satisfaction.
Pros
thanksgiving luches, city picnic, yearly banquet
Cons
ice storms, tornado warnings
Great Organization
Communications Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXAugust 2, 2015
Great organization to work for. The work itself is stressful but yet rewarding for you are helping people in critical situations. Co Workers work well together and are like your family away from home. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I built over the last 25 years and knowing that my work made a difference.
Pros
Great Benefits, job security, good compensation
Cons
Shift work
I like the hours, I also get all holidays off
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJune 26, 2015
I walk children and parents across the street, stop traffic. I have found people do not like to stop. I work by myself. Hardest part is being out in the elements. I enjoy the children.
Pros
Only work about 3 hours a day and get all holidays off
Cons
Being out in the elements
Micro management
Landfill Field Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMay 14, 2015
Not really given the full opportunity to supervise, micro management from manager. True good ole boy organization. Managers hires her favorites not the supervisor. She also writes the terminations as ask you to sign them. Has no clue to maintaining equipment, risk management is through the roof. Has fear of process improvements. You will do great if you kiss the manager's behind. Never oppose her or she will terminate you and you with no rights to appeal. You could be the very best at landfill operations, it will not matter if you do not play the politics and play her mind games. The other person who wrote good ole boy company and race issues was right on the mark. Diversity means having the understanding of different races too. Be ready to deal with "this is how we always did it". They are very comfortable not changing a thing. Their way of making a wet dirt road drivable it to simply put wood chips on it, not to divert the storm water away from the road. Amateurs at storm water control. Better call the engineers, she says before you try to control the rain run off. Manager creates so much unneeded drama!
Pros
great benefits
Cons
good ole boy management, manager has no clue to actually operating the landfill, just book smart.
Very productive and educational enviornment to work in.
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 2, 2015
My experience on the ReHabilitation Unit was very educational and kept me on my toes! Different techniques and equipment that was used to aide in the heeling and rehabilitation of a knee or hip replacement peaked my interest, and I continued to attend different free diagnostics that were offered via my employer.
Overall a good experience but needed a few improvements.
Seasonal Vector Technician (Former Employee) –  Environmental ServicesJanuary 7, 2015
It was beneficial while I needed it, the job needed to be more clearly defined and have better guidelines. Management was okay but not always the clearest when handing out daily or weekly tasks.
Pros
Work environment was good, and decent hours and pay
Cons
Short handed, and not always clear.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Grand Prairie. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2