City of Grand Prairie Employee Reviews in United States

Great atmosphere
Library Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXApril 21, 2016
At the Grand Prairie Public Library system we offer free and equal access to information for people of all means, background and ages through connections, discovery and education/ Services and availability may vary by library.
police officer (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXDecember 28, 2015
Good place to work at and build a career in law enforcement with the latitude to do your job as it should be.

Shift work

Civil Service
Awesome Place to Work!
Signs and Markings Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXNovember 20, 2015
This is an awesome place to work! The City of Grand Prairie is a place where people respect you and treat you like family. The hours are great, and the management is top-notch!
good compensation and benefit.
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXAugust 25, 2015
good place to work for, good compensation and nice benefit. management is alright the culture is ok. Overall rating should be four star
Pros
good benefit
Very informative at making sure you understand your job.
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXAugust 4, 2015
It started out as just a job in 1986, and rapidly turned into a career! I enjoyed the accomplishment of being able to finish my routes when reading meters. Being able to get a better paying job and learn new skills as a maintenance worker was a wonderful accomplishment. and experience, I am grateful to the city for offering me that opportunity since I was the only female doing that job. The office experience made it a full circle as far as seeing how everything is put together from the customer, to the installation and their satisfaction.
Pros
thanksgiving luches, city picnic, yearly banquet
Cons
ice storms, tornado warnings
Great Organization
Communications Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXAugust 2, 2015
Great organization to work for. The work itself is stressful but yet rewarding for you are helping people in critical situations. Co Workers work well together and are like your family away from home. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships I built over the last 25 years and knowing that my work made a difference.
Pros
Great Benefits, job security, good compensation
Cons
Shift work
I like the hours, I also get all holidays off
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJune 26, 2015
I walk children and parents across the street, stop traffic. I have found people do not like to stop. I work by myself. Hardest part is being out in the elements. I enjoy the children.
Pros
Only work about 3 hours a day and get all holidays off
Cons
Being out in the elements
Micro management
Landfill Field Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMay 14, 2015
Not really given the full opportunity to supervise, micro management from manager. True good ole boy organization. Managers hires her favorites not the supervisor. She also writes the terminations as ask you to sign them. Has no clue to maintaining equipment, risk management is through the roof. Has fear of process improvements. You will do great if you kiss the manager's behind. Never oppose her or she will terminate you and you with no rights to appeal. You could be the very best at landfill operations, it will not matter if you do not play the politics and play her mind games. The other person who wrote good ole boy company and race issues was right on the mark. Diversity means having the understanding of different races too. Be ready to deal with "this is how we always did it". They are very comfortable not changing a thing. Their way of making a wet dirt road drivable it to simply put wood chips on it, not to divert the storm water away from the road. Amateurs at storm water control. Better call the engineers, she says before you try to control the rain run off. Manager creates so much unneeded drama!
Pros
great benefits
Cons
good ole boy management, manager has no clue to actually operating the landfill, just book smart.
Very productive and educational enviornment to work in.
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXFebruary 2, 2015
My experience on the ReHabilitation Unit was very educational and kept me on my toes! Different techniques and equipment that was used to aide in the heeling and rehabilitation of a knee or hip replacement peaked my interest, and I continued to attend different free diagnostics that were offered via my employer.
Overall a good experience but needed a few improvements.
Seasonal Vector Technician (Former Employee) –  Environmental ServicesJanuary 7, 2015
It was beneficial while I needed it, the job needed to be more clearly defined and have better guidelines. Management was okay but not always the clearest when handing out daily or weekly tasks.
Pros
work environment was good, and decent hours and pay
Cons
short handed, and not always clear.
good supervisors for the Enviromental Dept.
Landfill Laborer (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXDecember 12, 2014
Worked there two months before they canned me.Higher up management is no good.
Pros
working outside
Cons
picking trash
Don't plan on staying here
Customer service (Current Employee) –  City of Grand Prairie, TXJuly 10, 2014
Awful city to work for very high turn over. Operates on the good ole boy system. Management is very unprofessional, they will keep you for the 6 month probation period that's a guarantee only because they don't want you to get unemployment. No fairness but the City is very diverse, competitive pay. There are some racist people working for the City in high places . I recommend working for Grand Prairie as a last ditch effort.
Cons
racism, discrimination, good ole boy system
Nice outside atmosphere
Sub-Contractor (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie TxJune 17, 2014
Landscaping and nice park scenery. Everybody seemed real nice. Management were fair.
Pros
nice outside
Cons
seasonal
Eric Denson
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MSApril 12, 2013
It was a great experience and i really enjoyed it. We fixed potholes in the street kept street clean. I learned a lot about how to work with others, and the management was excellent. Some of my co-workers were better than others,there was no hard part to me if you can believe that,the most enjoyable part was getting up and going to work.
Customer Service / Outside Technician (Former Employee) –  Grand prairie texasJanuary 8, 2013
great place to work
dependable employment
fast paced
good work place
great company
great place to work
Inventory Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  GRand Prairie,TXDecember 2, 2012
on a daily bases i had to infrom owners on how to get thier vehicles
released both by phone and in person.I learnwed how much people do not handle their paper work correctly and how it affects them when they get thier vehicles impouned.As far as my co workers each one of us have something to pass on to our coworkes.the hardest part to me was seeing someone loose their vehicles.I just like to deal with the publice
Pros
good place to work
Fun place to work
Lifeguard Instructor (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXNovember 30, 2012
Never had any problems here! Customers and patrons were always great!
Great place for short term employment
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  City of Grand PrairieJune 19, 2012
Great place to get basic training. Not recommended for long term, high employee turnover. The highly diverse environment makes it a little difficult to get accepted. Employees are somewhat on guard, which makes it more difficult for you to establish effective working relationships.
Pros
great retirement plan
Cons
poor management communication, no teamwork, favoritism

Comment – August 17, 2012

I worked for the city for a number of years and saw good people come and go due to unprofessional management and favortism. Managment always finds ways to blame their staff for their short comings.

City of Grand Prairie was a great place to work learned new things and met many construction people
Engineer and Chief Structural Building Inspector (Former Employee) –  Grand PrairieDecember 14, 2011
The city was a great place for learning and working. Performed all different types of tasks which included Engineering and Construction.
Pros
good retirement
Cons
never much money