City of Hampton Employee Reviews

It's an ok place to work
Youth Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 8, 2016
It's a fun place to work and the work is not hard. If they would stop underpaying their employees, it winks be an even better place to work. The staff is wonderful, but management is crazy. However, I'm grateful for the job.
Pros
It's the easiest job to have.
Cons
Underpayment
Supportive work environment
Senior Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 30, 2016
The environment is supportive and encouraging however, the salary is discouraging and the expectations far exceed the compensation. Employees often utilize their own gas, financial resources and time (not compensated) to complete projects and insure customer needs are met. These efforts are acknowledged by administration, however compensation is necessary to continue to provide the minimum job requirements.
After school program
School Aide (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 10, 2017
I typical day is to set up for my students. I learned that kids love positive feedback. Time management was short and tight.The hardest part of the job was none. The most enjoyable part of the job that the job was more like playtime than work.
Reliability Technician (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 31, 2017
I have work with this employer for over 30 year.i have seen good and bad but through it all it has been a good 30 years.The experience that has been given and some that I have gave is outstanding.
Hard work, little pay
STAFF TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 10, 2016
Hampton needs to pay their employees for what they do. Loyal employees leave due to low pay..
The most enjoyable part of the job is becoming family with others, not just coworkers.
Great work place
Wastewater Trainee (Former Employee) –  City of Hampton, VANovember 23, 2016
I drove a dump truck every day I also work on sewer pipes I also install new clean out for people sewer pipe after we dug up a customer yard we fix and repair there lawn
Workplace
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VA 23669November 16, 2016
Great work experience. Excellent team work. Overall a fantastic city to work for.I truly enjoy and believe what the city of hampton stands for being all about the people.
fun job very low pay
EVENT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 3, 2016
job has very little advancement opportunities and starting pay is minimum. job culture itself was great. hours are weekend only so its not ideal for a family.
How my day at work goes.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 5, 2015
I go in and i make the salads for the day. Then I help get the fruit and other foods done. Then I go to lunch . When I get back I prepare for the children to come through for lunch. I then make sure they have the proper food on tray then I have them put there lunch number in and take their money if they have any.
Pros
Working with the children
Cons
Time with the children is too short
Hard, stressful job, but always fun and exciting
Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 7, 2015
Working with 911, I have learned that someone has an emergency everyday. I have learned to become more of a leader than a follower. a typical day, you walk in and sit down and take your first call. It can be someone dying or someone being born, you never know whats waiting for you on the other end. My management does very well to make people feel wanted. They do their best to accept leave requests. My co-workers are amazing. we all work together, we help someone smile after a hard call. The hardest part of the job includes the callers. They can be stressed and take it out on you, they can call you mean names and even threaten you. The best part is knowing you helped that person through the worst day of their lives.
Pros
helping people
Cons
stress
Providing information to multiple customers
HRIS Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 25, 2015
Customer service is key at the City of Hampton. Multi-tasking is ongoing. It is a fast paced organization that runs lean and mean.
Pros
Exciting and challenging work that adds value
Cons
Some of the software needs to be updated
Mangement is very poor and they dont care about family
Boom Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VaOctober 15, 2015
a lot of back stabbing going on and to many people in management that don't know what they are doing, need management training.
Pros
wednesday off
Cons
horrible benefits, low pay and terrible mangement
Very productive job
Wastewater tech (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 18, 2014
I get to the job about 5:50 in the morning.we all punch in. And began the work day off by having a meeting and given the work assignment for the day.And i learn that all jobs are not the same.Good management makes the jobs run smoother.All my co-worker are hard worker,easy going,willing to teach each other what one don't know.The hardest part of the jobs is when we are called off a assignment that we need to complete like yesterday for a emergenecy. The most enjoyable is when you complete all assignments of the day and its time to go home.
Productive and Rewarding
Inmate Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 29, 2012
A typical day at work involves providing programs and services for offenders. I have learned thus far that not everyone who is locked-up is guilty,and that inmates are still human beings and should be treated as such. My co-workers are very supportive. We work together as a team to make our day productive. The most hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help someone make a change in their life.
Pros
weekends and major holidays off
Cons
working with different levels of offenders
Stressful and not supportive
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 7, 2012
My day consist of transporting students to & from school. Management has their hands tied for being able to get things done to make our jobs easier. My co-workers are struggling with the done support yet we work well together to get the students to their destintation. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the students that have behavior problems on the bus and having the staff to reprimand them. The most enjoyable part of my job is the love that I receive from some of my student riders and their parents who call in to my job to give compliment on how I deal with the kids.
fun productive work place working with children
Youth Aide (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 5, 2014
Come to work , take attendance and allowing the children to go the bathroom ,set out snack and allow them to eat. After they eat we help them with homework. When homework is done they play games to stimulate there creativity. Management is great and so is my co- worker. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a huge amount of kids. The enjoyable part of my day is seeing the children.
Working With Families
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 7, 2014
Work as a parent educator in child development/ Support Families in being self-sufficient. Assess children for developmental delays , refer for service, advocate for disability compensation, work on goals (IFSP) to ensure children are ready for a primary educational setting, teach parents to do activities that will enable their children to socialize with their peers.
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 3, 2015
excellent opportunity good place to work management team is pleasant overall the culture is well diverse and a great exposure to different things
Everyday I give small businesses helpful information to increase their value
Contract Compliance Specialist-(Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 16, 2012
A typical day at work would be me helping all small businesses to learn more about special incentives offered by the City and State agencies. Seeing the look on business owners' faces when I have informed them of pertinant information to help the growth of thier business is priceless.
I enjoyed the environment; friendly workplace.
Library (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 5, 2012
I would go in and say hello to everyone. Then I would go speak to my supervisor. Next, I would get to work. If I finished early, I would help others in different departments.
I enjoyed my job. It give me the opportunity to meet people of all diversities,and I got along with all the other employees.
Pros
meeting new people.
Cons
i only woeked 8-20 hours a week. i wanted more.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hampton. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9