City of Hampton Employee Reviews

Lack of EEO Commitment
Employees Relations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 13, 2017
No real commitment to diversity and inclusion. No internal EEO program structure. No Work Force or Utilization Analysis, no assessment of employment practices, no formal written EEO Plan.
Pros
Local government
Cons
Lack of commitment to diversity
Productive place to work
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 17, 2017
City Government
Most enjoyable part of job-- working in Recreation environment
Increased administrative skills
Typical day ... 8 hours
Office management staff easy to work with
City of Hampton
Traffic Electrician (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 15, 2017
The city of Hampton was an alright job but it had too many issues with pay and culture. Management was shaky at best and ego was a major problem. Management changes a lot so almost every few months the city would change direction. the hardest part was having to deal with the low pay and culture.
Horrible place to work!!!
Sign/paint Tech. (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 21, 2017
Public works-traffic division is a bad place to work. Management doesnt play by the rules. No chance for advancement.
NO RAISES. MORE AND MORE DUTIES PUT ON YOU BUT NO PAY INCREASE!
Cons
Awesome place to work with, but...
Police Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 17, 2017
Working as a police officer for Hampton, VA is awesome. I absolutely love it. However, due to the debt I have racked up with over a decade of college schooling and a growing family, the need for a higher paying job is essential. I am not sure of all management within the Hampton Police Department, however, I know my current supervision is astounding and I could not ask for any better. I must over-emphasize my love for this job. Sure it is stressful, but I absolutely love it. The insurance is not the best, compared to other companies I have worked for. The salary is definitely not the best; however, I did not take the job for the salary. I just made the mistake of leaving an excellent paying job for this lower paying job at a less fortunate time in my life where student loans reared its ugly head even more than before.
Pros
coworkers, job security
Cons
pay, insurance, stress
Loved working there
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 17, 2017
Great place to work, many positions available. Great measure of diversity in the workplace. Offer very flexible working conditions to make employees comfortable and happy.
Fun
Election Official (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 6, 2017
This position was for elections (local, state, and Presidential)
it could be a long day waiting for results and polls to close, but was a relaxed pace, very interesting and fun.
Pros
Easy and relaxed
Cons
Long days
The City is a great place to work.
Recorder/Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, ARMay 21, 2017
Overall I am very happy with my elected position at the city. However, I will soon relocate and being an elected position one of the requirements is to live inside the city.
work duties
Golf Course Technician (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 27, 2017
change tee markers
empty trash
drag bunkers
maintenance equipment
friendly working environment
hardest part of the job was the early hours and working in hot and freezing tempertuares
Pros
frequent breaks teamplayer atmosphere
Cons
low pay, weekends
Job
Junior Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 22, 2017
A typical day at work would be helping the kids.Coming up with certain activities for the kids to do. Then on days that we went on field trips we would have to keep a head count of the kids and made sure that we got back to the center safely.
Pros
Fun Environment
Hampton, VA Police Officer
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 14, 2017
A very rewarding position in the sense of providing assistance to citizens requesting and requiring it. Allowed me to feel the missing comradery I had while in the US Navy. Being a police officer placed great strain to my family worrying about my safety, so I left voluntarily for a safer job.
Pros
Recognition, authority, and exposure to all walks of life and cultures and being able to assist when/where necessary
Cons
Domestic calls
After school program
School Aide (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 10, 2017
I typical day is to set up for my students. I learned that kids love positive feedback. Time management was short and tight.The hardest part of the job was none. The most enjoyable part of the job that the job was more like playtime than work.
Reliability Technician (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 31, 2017
I have work with this employer for over 30 year.i have seen good and bad but through it all it has been a good 30 years.The experience that has been given and some that I have gave is outstanding.
Very laid back atmosphere working for Parks and Rec.
Parks and Recreation Associate (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 31, 2017
A typical day working at the museum is very dry and boring. The staff is very nice and management is OK. Does not pay well at all and if you don't record your hours they will not pay you or you have to wait another two weeks. Other than that it is a good job if you are looking for something consistent but not overwhelming.
Pros
Relaxed environment, friendly staff
Cons
management is OK and pay is low
It's an ok place to work
Youth Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 8, 2016
It's a fun place to work and the work is not hard. If they would stop underpaying their employees, it winks be an even better place to work. The staff is wonderful, but management is crazy. However, I'm grateful for the job.
Pros
It's the easiest job to have.
Cons
Underpayment
Great work place
Wastewater Trainee (Former Employee) –  City of Hampton, VANovember 23, 2016
I drove a dump truck every day I also work on sewer pipes I also install new clean out for people sewer pipe after we dug up a customer yard we fix and repair there lawn
Workplace
Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VA 23669November 16, 2016
Great work experience. Excellent team work. Overall a fantastic city to work for.I truly enjoy and believe what the city of hampton stands for being all about the people.
Hard work, little pay
STAFF TECHNICIAN II (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 10, 2016
Hampton needs to pay their employees for what they do. Loyal employees leave due to low pay..
The most enjoyable part of the job is becoming family with others, not just coworkers.
fun job very low pay
EVENT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 3, 2016
job has very little advancement opportunities and starting pay is minimum. job culture itself was great. hours are weekend only so its not ideal for a family.
Supportive work environment
Senior Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 30, 2016
The environment is supportive and encouraging however, the salary is discouraging and the expectations far exceed the compensation. Employees often utilize their own gas, financial resources and time (not compensated) to complete projects and insure customer needs are met. These efforts are acknowledged by administration, however compensation is necessary to continue to provide the minimum job requirements.