City of Hampton Employee Reviews in United States

supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 3, 2015
excellent opportunity good place to work management team is pleasant overall the culture is well diverse and a great exposure to different things
Mangement is very poor and they dont care about family
Boom Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VaOctober 15, 2015
a lot of back stabbing going on and to many people in management that don't know what they are doing, need management training.
Pros
wednesday off
Cons
horrible benefits, low pay and terrible mangement
How my day at work goes.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 5, 2015
I go in and i make the salads for the day. Then I help get the fruit and other foods done. Then I go to lunch . When I get back I prepare for the children to come through for lunch. I then make sure they have the proper food on tray then I have them put there lunch number in and take their money if they have any.
Pros
Working with the children
Cons
Time with the children is too short
Hard, stressful job, but always fun and exciting
Telecommunications Technician (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 7, 2015
Working with 911, I have learned that someone has an emergency everyday. I have learned to become more of a leader than a follower. a typical day, you walk in and sit down and take your first call. It can be someone dying or someone being born, you never know whats waiting for you on the other end. My management does very well to make people feel wanted. They do their best to accept leave requests. My co-workers are amazing. we all work together, we help someone smile after a hard call. The hardest part of the job includes the callers. They can be stressed and take it out on you, they can call you mean names and even threaten you. The best part is knowing you helped that person through the worst day of their lives.
Pros
helping people
Cons
stress
Widespread and interactive work place
Farm Technician (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJuly 31, 2014
A typical day at the farm consists of feeding and taking care of the animals in the morning and afternoons. The mid day usually involves any repair work needed to be done to any of the buildings enclosures or landscape. Ive learned several thing while being employed, such as animal husbandry, heavy equipment operating, leadership of a team and public interaction skills. The management is a bit lacking. It could be improved if it was allowed because the facility does hold a lot of potential. My coworkers are fun to work with and we make a great team. We work well together to accomplish the daily tasks and any project assigned. The hardest part of the job is completing a task with no directive from the supervisor. The lack of communication leads to confusion on every aspect of the project details. The most enjoyable part is dealing with animals on a daily basis, seeing as I am an animal lover myself.
Pros
animal interaction, public interaction
Cons
pay rate, hours, manager quality
Working With Families
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 7, 2014
Work as a parent educator in child development/ Support Families in being self-sufficient. Assess children for developmental delays , refer for service, advocate for disability compensation, work on goals (IFSP) to ensure children are ready for a primary educational setting, teach parents to do activities that will enable their children to socialize with their peers.
fun productive work place working with children
Youth Aide (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 5, 2014
Come to work , take attendance and allowing the children to go the bathroom ,set out snack and allow them to eat. After they eat we help them with homework. When homework is done they play games to stimulate there creativity. Management is great and so is my co- worker. The hardest part of the job is dealing with a huge amount of kids. The enjoyable part of my day is seeing the children.
Very productive job
Wastewater tech (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 18, 2014
I get to the job about 5:50 in the morning.we all punch in. And began the work day off by having a meeting and given the work assignment for the day.And i learn that all jobs are not the same.Good management makes the jobs run smoother.All my co-worker are hard worker,easy going,willing to teach each other what one don't know.The hardest part of the jobs is when we are called off a assignment that we need to complete like yesterday for a emergenecy. The most enjoyable is when you complete all assignments of the day and its time to go home.
Amazing place to work
Youth Program Aide (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMarch 5, 2014
The most enjoyable part of this job was the children being able to learn so much and watching them grow as individuals.
Be conscious
Intake Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAFebruary 17, 2014
I would recommend anyone applying for human services department to be very conscious on what department you look into for employment.
Pros
short commute from my home
Great immediate supervision, training is top notch
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJanuary 30, 2014
Great place to work. Family type of environment with emphasis on the officer family life. Will make the reasonable accommodations in order to provide a better quality of life.
Pros
great supervision and highest level of training
Cons
no compensation for the raise in the cost of living in quite some time.
A wonderful balance between work and play.
Reference Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VASeptember 20, 2013
My typical day at work includes answering questions on anything and everything that the general public can come up with (both over the phone and in person) and helping patrons do whatever they need to do on a computer.

The one great thing I learned at this job is patience. I used to get frustrated with others very quickly until I realized that everyone learns at their own pace and trying to rush that learning ability is only going to cause unneeded stress.

My management and coworkers are amazing. We've never had any arguments, we've always gotten along and they always make work fun. I know I'll probably never get that lucky again and I try to thank them on a regular basis for helping work not feel like work.

The hardest part of the job I would have to say is having to deal with demanding and disrespectful people each and every day.

The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be joking around throughout the day with my coworkers. They never fail to bring a smile to my face, no matter how bad of a day I'm having.
Pros
hour long lunches, happy and fun coworkers
Cons
no benefits for part time people
fun place to work but they are cheap
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 26, 2013
typical day was easy not alot of drama work was tough but was manageable, learned leadership, co-workers were honest and dependable, hardest part of the job was doing the work for the little amount of money they paid, most enjoyable part was the freedom to work and be heard
Pros
almost everything
Cons
just didnt want to pay their workers what they deserved
311 Call Center
Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 31, 2012
I thoroughly enjoy working at the City of Hampton' s 311 Call Center. I have learned a lot about city services and operations. I enjoy helping the customers and we have fun in the office.
Pros
free membership to city' s community centers and city discounts
I enjoyed the environment; friendly workplace.
Library (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VADecember 5, 2012
I would go in and say hello to everyone. Then I would go speak to my supervisor. Next, I would get to work. If I finished early, I would help others in different departments.
I enjoyed my job. It give me the opportunity to meet people of all diversities,and I got along with all the other employees.
Pros
meeting new people.
Cons
i only woeked 8-20 hours a week. i wanted more.
Stressful and not supportive
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 7, 2012
My day consist of transporting students to & from school. Management has their hands tied for being able to get things done to make our jobs easier. My co-workers are struggling with the done support yet we work well together to get the students to their destintation. The hardest part of my job is dealing with the students that have behavior problems on the bus and having the staff to reprimand them. The most enjoyable part of my job is the love that I receive from some of my student riders and their parents who call in to my job to give compliment on how I deal with the kids.
Productive and Rewarding
Inmate Programs Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 29, 2012
A typical day at work involves providing programs and services for offenders. I have learned thus far that not everyone who is locked-up is guilty,and that inmates are still human beings and should be treated as such. My co-workers are very supportive. We work together as a team to make our day productive. The most hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help someone make a change in their life.
Pros
weekends and major holidays off
Cons
working with different levels of offenders
City of Hampton
LDS Right of Way Technician (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 28, 2012
Working for the City was not pleasant, They do not care about employees only tax dollars.
City of Hampton
Substance Abuse Screener/CCD & Pre Trial Back-up (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 25, 2012
The City of Hamptonis an interesting place of employment. There is room for growth within the City, if you work in the right department. Due to budget cuts there have been many positions that have been deleted from the City and are no longer available which makes it hard to move up. For those that are in a Permanent Full Time position with the City it is good, on the other hand for those who are in whats called a WAE position are not as valuable. During my time with the city I have learned a great deal of patience,which is needed when working in the justice system and I have also learned so much more about being responsible and getting all work done on time. The co-workers make the work day a little easier because we are able to work together and laugh together at the sametime.
Pros
agency parties-team building activities
Cons
no paid holidays, vacation, sick leave
Everyday I give small businesses helpful information to increase their value
Contract Compliance Specialist-(Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 16, 2012
A typical day at work would be me helping all small businesses to learn more about special incentives offered by the City and State agencies. Seeing the look on business owners' faces when I have informed them of pertinant information to help the growth of thier business is priceless.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hampton. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8