City of Hope Employee Reviews

Great learning environment.
Patient Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CASeptember 5, 2016
City of Hope is a research and teaching hospital. I learned many new skills and information about the health care industry. As a Patient Safety Assistant, the job is on-call/per-diem. There is no full time/set position for that title but working one-on-one with the patients was a wonder experience.
Pros
Great learning experience.
Cons
Not a secure postion.
A great place to work. They give back to the community in a big way
Non-Employee Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 31, 2016
City of Hope is a wonderful organization with a great social mission. They are growing and making rapid changes to keep up with Technology. There are about 5000 employees.
Pros
Opportunities to get involved in Diversity organizations and community activities and events
Great place, benefitz
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 30, 2016
At The time I left, I was looking for 10-12 hr shifts closer to home to accomodate family. Very accomodating with school, also many surgeries and technology you won't see in a community hospital.
Pros
Benefits, union
Cons
8 hr shifts
Amazing vision for patients
Finance Administrator (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAApril 29, 2016
While compassion for patients is outstanding, management doesn't have any for their staff. Job security is non-existent and everyone is stressed out every year around budget time to see who will be let go. Staffing levels are too low in some areas, requiring employees to do the work of 2 or 3 people.
Pros
Knowing what you are doing is making a difference in cancer patients' lives.
Cons
Management is unreasonable in their expectations.
Compassionate, Caring
Senior Administrative Support, Patient Advocacy (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 15, 2016
City of Hope is a great place to work. The campus is beautified to fit the compassion and caring it prides itself on, as well as having great physicians who really care about their patients.
Be aware
Sr. Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAApril 18, 2016
Be aware of this place. It is very dysfunctional, unorganized, and your job security..... well you can hope a pray. I left a full time job to come to City of Hope thinking it was going to be a good fit boy was I wrong. I have never been to a job where Policies and Procedures change like you change your underwear, management doesn't want to help train you, and the lack of help from your co workers. If you are doing it for the money it won't last long. I just got hired December 2015 and after my first day I was already looking for another job. There are better opportunities out there then coming here. I hope I can hurry up and leave because I am miserable everyday. Don't let the orientation or the comfort of some Business Managers fool you it is an act.
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else
Great Place to work
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 22, 2016
In the summer time my supervisor let me bring my kid to work to save on daycare cost.

The parking on campus is terrible. They have a great work life balance
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Parking
Extremely Progressive. Proud to be a part of this organiztion
Development Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 28, 2016
Progressive health organization that is truly people oriented. This organization is constantly researching, treating and helping people.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
NA
Satisfaction in serving patients
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAMarch 16, 2016
Typical day was very busy. Assisted up to 5 recruiters through the hiring process. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with high levels of hires, 25-50 a month, in addition to other clerical duties and keeping deadlines and meeting quotas. Friendly environment and at the end of day satisfaction of being part of the hospitals mission to serve our patients.
Pros
Wellness program and benefits
Cons
No overtime allowed to complete high level of hires per month
Growing Lab
CLS/Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAMay 11, 2016
Growing lab and possible room for growth. Day to day duties is fast paced.

The lab itself is outdated and not suitable (safety, space, etc) for all the plans of bringing in new testing and instruments.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
Outdated technology
Great Company to Work For
Cash Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAMarch 25, 2016
Mid-size company. Daily tasks were comprised of Cash Positioning and Investments. Managed endowment funds that with exposure to Equities and Fixed Income. Worked closely with external Investment Managers to monitor performance of funds. Small and intimate team. Great experience
Strong environment for team work
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAMay 20, 2016
Strong qualities include:
- Good structure to provide 360 feedback for team building;
- Having diverse audit projects;
- Strongly supported continuing education.
Good company, low compensation and growth
PROGRAM COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAJanuary 29, 2016
Great hospital with great mission, going through major change (good change). Employees can seek out professional development and growth often, but many managers are against employee development. Compensation is poor compared to industry standards.
Pros
nice campus, promotes wellness
Cons
power struggles, unfair practices, poor compensation (monetary and total)
Production Artist/Printing operator
Production Artist/Printing Operator (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAApril 25, 2016
Coming to work was a great experience. Being part of a team dedicated to defeating a monster, CANCER, was very inspiring.
Very enjoyable work environment.
Intern (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAFebruary 8, 2016
Although is was only an intern for the City of Hope I was treated as a real employee. The people were very nice and helpful towards one another. They always kept me busy and learning new things.
stressful environment
SRA (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAFebruary 11, 2016
benefits were great. Supervisor was very generous with staff. The hardest part of the job is training doctors from different countries to be humane with the research animals.
benefits
Cons
stressful
Overworked
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAFebruary 25, 2016
Unable to have a work/life balance. Hetic days, lack of support and understanding from management. Co-worker has goal for best patient care but lack of resources
I worked on Policies and Procedures and assisted the CNO.
Special Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAOctober 7, 2015
Working at the City of Hope was also meaningful and very detailed. I worked on Policies and Procedures Manuals and assisted the CNO with any and all administrative responsibilities. I also managed special events and Nurses Recognition Week.
Pros
Very educated and competent people. Good work force.
Cons
There were no cons other than we occasionally lost some patiencts.
Typical office job
Temporary Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAFebruary 16, 2016
Only worked here like a month since it was temporary, but it was a typical office assistant job. Answered phones, copied things, did filing, etc.
Better work life balance, but not challenging work
IT Employe (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAOctober 6, 2015
Bad management and user group, not ready for a change and lack of advance thinking

Still using old project management patterns, even consulting people also misleading by old style management team. No vision or no power to implement visions to action
Pros
Better work life balance
Cons
Not a challenging environment to grow.