City of Hope Employee Reviews

The Miracle of Science with Soul
Business Manager - Department of Hematology (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAMay 12, 2017
A typical day at work consists of me putting out fires. I've learned a lot in the Pre & Post award arena. I don't think the learning ever stops! City of Hope Management is transparent, listens and makes sure you have what you need to do your job efficiently. The work culture is healthy. Employees are cordial to one another and give a little extra when dealing with patients.The hardest part of my job is when there's a multi-project grant submission. The most enjoyable part of my job is when we receive notification that a grant was awarded.
Conducive place to work
LVN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Radiology Department (PET scan)May 4, 2017
Good ratio of patients and nurses. You will come to Morning to work with a smile in your face and you will go home with much bigger smile .Patient are very cooperative and the Doctors work with the nurses side by side.
Pros
Help you to grow academically
Cons
Expose to radiation
One of the worst organization, disconnect service
NP (Former Employee) –  Monrovia, CAApril 24, 2017
Between the hiring process and the hiring management, there was a disconnect. No communications between department whatsoever.
Nobody knows what was done by the other departments. Apparently it was the organization's culture.
Between the management and employee, they like to belittle people. So glad I am not working at that place anymore. Feel sad for the patient that they have subpar service and they did not even know it.
Pros
Cons
culture of rudeness
Non profit organization
Assistant Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CA 91010April 19, 2017
The organization as a whole was a great hospital in helping patients with cancer and diabetes. The volunteers were also great in supporting the corporations efforts. The organization always invest in their employees with paying portion of higher education tuition.
Pros
Great hospital, would recommend patients to go to for excellent care.
Cons
Management in Operations are not sympathetic with employee emergency situations
Rewarding
Receptionist/Secretary (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAApril 16, 2017
Positive work environment, rewarding job, management is supportive. Patients are friendly. Opportunity to grow. Leadership and team coaching. Non union, overall great work experience.
Pros
Positive work environment, recognition and encouragement
Cons
Low wages
great job
Patient Safety Assistant (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAApril 3, 2017
I have been working here for about a year. So everything is great about working here. no problems whatsoever. The pay is great for my job position and they are great with breaks and having a very flexible schedule for your busy lifestyle.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Enable to become productive and it was a fun place to work with.
Administrative Analyst (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAFebruary 14, 2017
The beginning of the week started with a work review conducted by the department head/director. Commendation on work productivity would be given to boost working attitude. Each personnel contributed ideas or suggestion and worked as a team. Constant communication within the department made the hardest part of the job easier to achieve it's common goal. As company initiates family events and holidays, I feel that it was the most unforgettable working experience not only for me but for my family as well.
Pros
Free breaksfast during meeting and lunches each time the company hosted an event.
Cons
Healthcare benefits as I worked on contractual basis.
Amazing organization but little employee support
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 13, 2017
It feels good to work for such an incredible organization. The research coming out of City of Hope is second to none; the doctors and scientists here are incredibly passionate, knowledgeable, and talented, and I am proud to speak to that aspect of working for such an organization.

However, appropriate resources and technology for employees in non-medical roles is severely lacking and outdated. This negatively impacts donor-facing events and programs. There is some movement from management to improve on these things, but everything moves at a glacial pace. Leadership also doesn't seem to care about personalized career development or communicating departmental changes to their employees in a timely and transparent manner.
Pros
Passionate employees who are dedicated to the cause
Cons
Terrible management, no career development, lack of resources, low pay
great
Stem Cell Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAFebruary 3, 2017
co workers and hospital was great. everyone worked hard and played hard. the hospital was at a great location and everyone was friendly. I will definitely miss this hospital
Love working here
Clinical Nurse I (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAFebruary 1, 2017
I love working here. For the most part, the culture of work is difficult, it's often emotionally tolling but the support you get from management and fellow nurses is incredible.
Great hospital to work for
Central Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAJanuary 23, 2017
This job is a new story each day. Escorting patients anywhere from room to room, or to procedures. An extremely humbling experience to see how lucky you really are to have your health. Hardest part is having to see people suffer and you being unable to help them
Pros
Humbling experience
Cons
Tough situations you get thrown into
very rewarding job
Clinical Nurse II, Medical Oncology Unit (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAJanuary 23, 2017
rewarding job due to helping a very vulnerable population of patients with cancer. Not all units are manage the same and sometimes it feels like some are forgotten.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
very busy difficult to take breaks
great place to work
Electronic Health Record Implementation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CADecember 15, 2016
Worked IT and was compensated very well. All staff was great to work with and it was easy to get the job done. There is room for advancement. Many employee are there for 20+ years.
Pros
pay, people
Fun workplace
Patient safety assistant (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CANovember 17, 2016
I love my job. Everyone was warm and welcoming. Staff are all great to work with and their is always room for advancement. City of hope has excellent doctors and nurses.
Great learning environment.
Patient Safety Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CASeptember 5, 2016
City of Hope is a research and teaching hospital. I learned many new skills and information about the health care industry. As a Patient Safety Assistant, the job is on-call/per-diem. There is no full time/set position for that title but working one-on-one with the patients was a wonder experience.
Pros
Great learning experience.
Cons
Not a secure postion.
A great place to work. They give back to the community in a big way
Non-Employee Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 31, 2016
City of Hope is a wonderful organization with a great social mission. They are growing and making rapid changes to keep up with Technology. There are about 5000 employees.
Pros
Opportunities to get involved in Diversity organizations and community activities and events
Great place, benefitz
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 30, 2016
At The time I left, I was looking for 10-12 hr shifts closer to home to accomodate family. Very accomodating with school, also many surgeries and technology you won't see in a community hospital.
Pros
Benefits, union
Cons
8 hr shifts
Great Place to work
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 22, 2016
In the summer time my supervisor let me bring my kid to work to save on daycare cost.

The parking on campus is terrible. They have a great work life balance
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Parking
Compassionate, Caring
Senior Administrative Support, Patient Advocacy (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 15, 2016
City of Hope is a great place to work. The campus is beautified to fit the compassion and caring it prides itself on, as well as having great physicians who really care about their patients.
Extremely Progressive. Proud to be a part of this organiztion
Development Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 28, 2016
Progressive health organization that is truly people oriented. This organization is constantly researching, treating and helping people.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
Na

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hope. Our community is ready to answer.