City of Hope Employee Reviews

Educational work environment for all levels of management
Assistant Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 18, 2012
I worked at City of Hope for over 20 years, I learned many business techniques. How to run a business and as well as coordinating sporting, fashion shows, dinner/dance events. Throughout my tenure at the company, I collaborated with many employees in different departments and volunteers outside of City of Hope to represent City of Hope as a professional organization. I achieved many educational certificates and was used as an liasion to help teach new employees about the organization. I take at City of Hope for a long time because, the organization, abide by many procedures and help people in there need of pain and suffering. City of Hope has taught me many aspects of living, and learning.
Pros
the company had educational advancement programs
Cons
management changes
Toxic Environment, Managment is allowed to do as they wish
Lab Assistant (Anatomic Pathology) (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CADecember 10, 2012
Most jobs are union, however, management hates the unions so there's always problems. This place has drug rings operating within, infidelity cases that lead to broken marriages, with their security personell leading the way, those guys don't respect matrimony, they hit on all the women - married or not, they start by offering them rides to and from their cars at the start of the day and at the end of the day. I saw people being fired with NO just cause, simply because they don't like you. Management just not caring or respecting people's rights. Lab mistakes on a daily basis and nursing personell who are just there to make a buck. Leaving this place was the best thing I ever did!
Pros
close to home
Cons
uncaring management (anatomic pathology), outdated equipment, understaffing
Wonderful place to work at
Sr. Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAJuly 21, 2014
Wonderful place to work at.
City of Hope allows to balance work and life.

Compensation and benefits are great

Job security.

Management has a wonderful team

Good job culture.
Growing Lab
CLS/Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAMay 11, 2016
Growing lab and possible room for growth. Day to day duties is fast paced.

The lab itself is outdated and not suitable (safety, space, etc) for all the plans of bringing in new testing and instruments.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
Outdated technology
stressful environment
SRA (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAFebruary 11, 2016
benefits were great. Supervisor was very generous with staff. The hardest part of the job is training doctors from different countries to be humane with the research animals.
benefits
Cons
stressful
A great place to work
CDI SPECIALIST - Full-Time (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAMay 18, 2015
City of Hope is an excellent employer. The company promotes employee education both on the clinical coding level as well as a personal level.

*Great HIM Management Team
*Great staff Team-players
*Peaceful working environment
*Great Salary
*Great Upper Mgmt - visits individual depts
* Productivity based on AHIMA guidelines - 3 charts per hour depending on the complexity of the case.
Pros
Overall a great place to work
Cons
N/A
Positive workplace
Clinical Research (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CASeptember 28, 2015
Overall a good place to work and gain excellent experience. Decent pay and benefits for a non-profit organization. Benefits are below standard.
Pros
Job security
Benefits
Strong environment for team work
Senior Auditor (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAMay 20, 2016
Strong qualities include:
- Good structure to provide 360 feedback for team building;
- Having diverse audit projects;
- Strongly supported continuing education.
Too many people and too little work
Clerical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAMay 19, 2011
When I was employed here, I spent 30 minutes doing actual WORK and spent the rest of the day wondering how I was going to fill up the rest of the day. Computers are slow and running antiquated programs that don't communicate with one another.
Pros
decent medical benefits, on-site cafeteria gift shop, lots of fun activities
Cons
forced unionization for clerical workers, management plays favorites, unfair performance evaluations
Production Artist/Printing operator
Production Artist/Printing Operator (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAApril 25, 2016
Coming to work was a great experience. Being part of a team dedicated to defeating a monster, CANCER, was very inspiring.
Great Company to Work For
Cash Management Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAMarch 25, 2016
Mid-size company. Daily tasks were comprised of Cash Positioning and Investments. Managed endowment funds that with exposure to Equities and Fixed Income. Worked closely with external Investment Managers to monitor performance of funds. Small and intimate team. Great experience
Job security
FRONT OFFICE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAJune 11, 2015
This is a good place to work, but it does not offer room for growth, compensation is pretty low as well. Management is not the best but its ok, doctors are awesome to work with.
Pros
FREE LUNCHES
Cons
LOW COMPENSATION
It was one of my greatest experiences as an employee I have every had.
Customer Service Representative (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAOctober 27, 2014
A typical day at work would involve me meeting many interesting people. I learned patience and lots of understanding, everyone has a story. Management was great, very understanding, kind, knowledgeable and informative. The hardest part of the day was to be empathetic and /or sympathic, without wearing my heart on my sleeve. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that every day I came to work knowing, I was going to help some one in some kind of way. Whether it was just smiling and say a few kind words or simply doing my job helping the patient(s) register for the Patient Portal. I go home feeling GREAT about myself, with a feeling of self worth.
Pros
Work experience in a medical facility and environment to work with patients.
Cons
Knowing the assignment will end soon.
Little hope for career advancement
Staff Scientist (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 16, 2012
The City of Hope is a good place to work if you have a family. The benefits are good and they try to support their employees. However, there is little job security and hope for advancement, at least in the field of research. They hire too many Post Docs who then have few options for further advancement.
Allow you to grow and show your own abiliities.
Biller/Collector (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAMarch 5, 2015
A Wonderful working environment for those who are permanent. For those who are contract- There are no health benefits, no paid holidays, and not included in many day to day functions of the office. Even has a separate section where we sit by ourselves and not with our groups. Absolutely impossible to get in even when overly qualified for the positions. Every position is overloaded and months behind in work due to lack of hiring much needed people.
Pros
Dream job because of how much they do for our community.
Cons
Will never be permanent. Always on a permanent freeze.

Comment – April 6, 2015

I would encourage this person to discuss what benefits are available through the agency that is paying them. They may have health benefits as well as earn paid time off after working so many hours for them.

Great company to work for if person ants to advance
Central Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CASeptember 25, 2014
If someone is truly motivated to work and advance through the different fields this is definitely the company to work for. The compensation is superb and management is very flexible with most schedules.
The company has a long standing culture and values to healing
Property Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Duarte, CAAugust 31, 2012
Great company to work for, has a great culture and strong values in helping patients
Pros
great working environment and great benefits
Cons
company needs to organize within their depts.
The Healthcare Facility is a good place to work because the offer alot of cool programs to their Employees and Patients.
Laboratory Analyst/Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Monrovia, CAMay 2, 2014
A typical day at work for me is to come in each morning and check the agenda to see what needs to be done for the day and do my daily job responiblity. What i learn from working at City of Hope is how to analyize Laboratory Orders. The management here at City of Hope is Excellent when it comes to customer Service for their employees and answer my questions i may have at their best of knowledge. I could say that there is not a hard part of my job because everything is fully explained to me where i understand what they need to be done. The most enjoyable part of the job is being around the PT and building a bond with them to help them above and beyound with any questions they may have any issues they may have.
Pros
There is a cafeteria here that provides Breakfast and Lunch.
Cons
I could say that i have no Cons towards City of Hope
Volunteer Assistance
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Duarte, CAMarch 10, 2015
As a volunteer I filed papers, stocked patients files and wrote new shift for nurses. I learned as a high school project that this facility was very clean and sanitized. Management was very understanding about what I needed out of this volunteering experience. My co-workers were more like supervisors to show me what I was able to do. The hardest part of the job was all the tests and blood work I had to do to volunteer at this facility. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the filing and organizing I got to do for the patients files.
Pros
satisfying feeling of helping out the patients
Cons
Far commute
Excellent company to work for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Hope, ARNovember 27, 2015
It's pleasure place to work,.
I do not have any problems.
There is some fun people that I enjoy working with them.
Good Benefits.
Good Equipment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Hope. Our community is ready to answer.