City of Hope

City of Hope Employer Reviews

Prejudice against minorities, especially blacks
Research Asst (Former Employee), DuarteNovember 12, 2013
Cons: above
Only good place to work if you are philipino, white, or other asian. Very much a clickish atmosphere, not open to hispanics or blacks unless you are mainteneance or service worker
Caring and Compassionate Cancer Center
Pain and Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Duarte, CAOctober 10, 2013
Pros: independant learning, self-directing, good working relationships
Cons: no follow through with patients once on hospice
I have out-patient clinic two days a week and I see patients for complications from their chemotherapy and manage their chronic pain. I assess them holistically and obtain consults as needed. I prepare patients for acepting hospice and remain available for emotional and spiritual support.
I maintain a phone triage for all patients in our pain and palliative – more... care practice for adjustng medications, assisting with concerns, and evaluating need to come to the hospital for examination.
I work with an interventional pain specialist and see the patients in the greatest pain unresponsive to traditinal therapy. I arrange intrathecal pain pump placements, and provide reprogramming and refills.
I have learned how poorly trained nurses are when caring for a dying patient. As part of my DNP program I developed an acronym organized pocket tool to prompt nurses on the most common needs of the dying it is called CARES (Comfort, Airway, Restlessness, Emotional support, and Self-Care). I want to improve hospital based care to be more in-tune with what Hospice provides.
My co-workers and management are all very supportive and easy to work with.
The hardest part of my job is to transfer care to Hospice and cease all involvement with patient's and families that I worked closely with for a year or longer. I seem to want more direct involvement in the teaching and training of staff on care of the dying.
The most enjoyable part of my job is my patients. I am so humbled by their courage and strength. I like feeling I make a difference and feel providing quality of life must be a primary focus. – less
Analyst
Vendor Management Coordinator (Former Employee), Duarte, CAOctober 2, 2013
Running reports for staff, trouble shooting computer issues, vendor management....
good place to work
Senior Internal Auditor, Internal Audit (Former Employee), Duarte, CASeptember 10, 2013
good work life balance, good people, collaborative environment
OK place to work
Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Duarte, CASeptember 9, 2013
The people are nice.
Low-key environment.
Large cubicles.
No manager in charge of my group.
My co-workers do not work well together.
hospital setting
phamacy technician (Former Employee), Duarte, CAAugust 28, 2013
had the best 8 yrs working for this company. pay is low, but it's nice to work with everyone. everyone is nice and very pleasant.
Culture of Life
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee), CAAugust 10, 2013
Pros: wages, benefits, retirement benefits
Cons: not enough beds in the clinic or hospital for the patient population we serve
I loved working at the City of Hope. It was a challenge but I was constantly learning new things. The culture of the City of Hope is to encourage learning and helping you advance in your career through education. It is also a culture of life and hope. It is a beautiful serene setting. At lunch my favorite thing to do was walk through the campus. I would – more... be refreshed upon returning to my work unit. The hardest thing about working in my clinic was the bed space. Not enough beds. There were always people waiting in the lobby. The most enjoyable part of the job was to ease suffering (pain, n/v, fear) and to see the gratitude in our patients and their families. – less
productive and learn something new everyday
Clerical Specialist II-Surgery Division (Current Employee), Duarte, CAJune 28, 2013
Pros: dental and health care benefits
i handle a high volume of phone calls and maintain a positive attitude along with managing incoming and outgoing faxes, sort mail, data entry. help coordinate appointments, my job is clerical/administrative work with customer service however it is more like a compassion specialist because i deal with so many angry, scared,nervous patients so i usually – more... have a way of calming them down and helping them feel better about the situations they are in. – less
Good place to develop your people skills.
Volunteer (Current Employee), Duarte, CAJune 14, 2013
I've only been there for about 2 months but so far it's a great place to volunteer at.
Best job ever!!!!!
Film Clerk (Former Employee), Duarte, CAMay 19, 2013
Pros: fun work environment.
Cons: they were downsizing and a few of us had to go, computers replaced us :0(
Worked in x ray file room, you have everyone from Radiologists, patients, nurses, employees from other departments coming in. Worked with great people who made you laugh everyday, nothing hard about this job, I loved coming in everyday.
Learned alot from working there
Sous Chef (Former Employee), Duarte, CAMay 7, 2013
Pros: paid bennifits
Cons: n/a
Great place to work if there were hiring I would like to go back
Patient centered care at its best!
Hematology/Oncology Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee), Duarte, CAMay 6, 2013
Pros: great staff, researched based institution with evidence based practice
Cons: poor work life balance, my commute
This place is amazing. the Doctors and NPs here are great. There is somuch to learn and so any people to learn from.
Research Fellow (Current Employee), Duarte, CAApril 23, 2013
work and life, nice balance
easy and overwhelming, balance
Great environment with positive people doing great deeds for the community.
Speakers Bureau (Current Employee), Los AngelesMarch 20, 2013
Pros: people are great. fun events.
Typically, when asked to give a speech I am given anywhere from 1-3 months advance notice. I will get some information about the crowd I am going to be speaking too. It is very inspiring to be able to share my story in front of hundreds of people. People truly want to hear where there money is going when they donate to the City of Hope, and I am the – more... face of where there money is going. Sometimes it is hard to tell my story of being a cancer survivor, but when I think about all of the people that I am helping, I never think twice about it again. – less

Unome – April 5, 2013

It would be good to tell the truth, where are our donations goes. But, you know for a fact that all the Board Members all earned a bonus of approximately $500.000.00, this is half a million. Are we donating to pay people for Bonuses, beside their regular salary? My tiny dollars is not enough for them. Get real and start to see this is not a Non Profit Agency, The make a profit to pass out large sum of Bonuses to the Board of Directors.

Great place to work, sense of family with co-workers and management that that listens to you.
Clinical Nurse III - Evaluation and Treatment (Current Employee), Duarte, CADecember 30, 2012
Pros: great work enviroment
Cons: growing very quickly due to more patients getting dx with cancer
Attending to the urgent needs of the oncology patient post transplant can become complicated, but working as a team and communicating with each other as professional makes this process seamless.

Unome – January 10, 2013

As for Sense of Family, it's only when you are in the Some Race & Culture of those nurses, otherwise they avoid helping other workers when in need of help. "Code Blue". I realized how phony those people are,. Mngt, will listen, but no action is taken to correct the lazy workers, Mngt will fail to follow up with your concern with neglience of the staff. Next, you will not be schedule, your phone calls are being ignored, then a surprise letter arrived to ur home "You Are Terminated" & they fail to give your last pay check. You have to Beg for your pay check.

Good values, but poor management
Application & Program Mgmt Lead (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 13, 2012
The management here, at least where I worked, isn't interested in helping their employees to get ahead. The values of the company overall are good, and if you work on campus the environment is better than in the philanthropy office. Very very old school, top down management style in the philanthropy office.
A very positive enviornment to work in.
Hostess, Main Event (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 12, 2012
Working with different people from all over the world was one of the best parts of working here. I really had the opportunity to meet many wonderful people from around the world.
Toxic Environment, Managment is allowed to do as they wish
Lab Assistant (Anatomic Pathology) (Former Employee), Duarte, CADecember 10, 2012
Pros: close to home
Cons: uncaring management (anatomic pathology), outdated equipment, understaffing
Most jobs are union, however, management hates the unions so there's always problems. This place has drug rings operating within, infidelity cases that lead to broken marriages, with their security personell leading the way, those guys don't respect matrimony, they hit on all the women - married or not, they start by offering them rides to and from – more... their cars at the start of the day and at the end of the day. I saw people being fired with NO just cause, simply because they don't like you. Management just not caring or respecting people's rights. Lab mistakes on a daily basis and nursing personell who are just there to make a buck. Leaving this place was the best thing I ever did! – less
I enjoyed working with proj management
Electrician (Former Employee), Duarte, CADecember 10, 2012
meetings with engineers,review plans,explain campus layout and requirements.I learned from many engineers how they view utility layout and requirments .The project managers werehelpfull and open to ideas.The hardest part was coordinating the end users whenpower outages were required......theres never a good time! The best part was earning trust and – more... working together so we got the job done – less
Only work there for a Quick Buck $, not a long term job.
No longer there (Former Employee), management cover upDecember 2, 2012
Pros: caring for real sick people, that needs you.
Cons: working with incompletent and unlicense staff.
What you are actually doing is covering up mistakes from RNs and other workers. They don't know the simple basic thing to vital signs to medication. And all management from Personnel to Staffing are dodging the truth of the problem. You will lose you license, because the blame always goes toward lower level.

About City of Hope

Founded in 1913, City of Hope is one of only 41 comprehensive cancer centers in the nation, as designated by the National Cancer – Read more