City of Houston

City of Houston Employee Reviews

I make a difference by assisting the citizens of Houston, Texas
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 20, 2015
Pros: Being able to work to the best of my ability
Cons: N/A
I taking pleasure in assisting the citizens of Houston, Texas. Working for the Houston Police Department has been rewarding because every day a new aspect is discovered. Management is great. Co-workers are are excellent with. Thee is nothing hard about my job. The most enjoyable part of the job is researching and discovering the vehicle for the citizens.
Work hard, it's fun, enjoyable working with people, using different tools
Business Intelligence, Data Analyst (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 16, 2015
Pros: get the job done.
- Always busy.
- Ask direct questions. Look at the big picture, analyze, provide solutions.
- co-workers, peers, are nice. Get along well with the team.
- able to resolve and provide solutions to the problem is the challenging part, and most enjoyable part of the job.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 10, 2015
• Support Mayor and 30+ employees with their daily functions and needs of completing daily work activities.
• Answered and directed incoming calls through switchboard, maintained alpha/numeric filing system and assisted in all major divisions within the Mayor’s Office while upholding a high level of confidentiality:
• Assist Business Office with processing accounts receivables/payables, data entry, and preparing reports for the manager to review and approve for submittal.
• Attended official city meetings with the Chief of Staff, recorded notes as needed for minutes, and ran errands as needed.
• Logged complaints through Excel, using provided qualifying documents.
• Screened mail and distributed according to the needs requested.
• Directed tenants to their destinations and completed and maintained accountability for keys and access card systems
good environment to work
Contract Administrator (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 9, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: lower wages
good atmosphere and less demanding to work at. management is great, a lot less stress than in corporate or private environments
Great place to work for.
9-1-1 Telecommunicator (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 9, 2015
Was a great place to work for. I miss my co-workers, there were happy and sad days. It was a challenge interacting with the citizens during an emergency situation.
productive
Financial Analyst IV / Supervisor (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2015
Pros: good benifits, close to home
Cons: Mangement needed more training on how to manage
. Good benefits, good location, very close to home. The city is very culturally diverse. The hardest part of this job was that you azre on probation for a year and you are sitting on pins a needles for an entire year.
Good start
Technical Hardware Analyst I (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2015
Pros: Benefits, benefits, benefits
Cons: Can be a bit boring depending on how you manage your time.
I had a good time working for this company. It is a good place to start your career and possibly good a place to retire. Benefits are great. Pay is good for the work you're assigned.
I really loved working with customers
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 2, 2015
Pros: bonuses, free lunch
Cons: I really don't have nothing to say on this.
I had good and bad days but i always kept a smile on my face i really took in consideration the customers point of view and even though it was not our fault i will always advice my cashiers and myself that if a customer was upset it usually has nothing to do with us personally and to always be kind.
Excellent Customer Service
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 14, 2015
Cons: 20 hour max for part timers.
Working for the City of Houston has allowed me to gain excellent customer services, communication and people skills. Although I already possessed these skills as an aspiring Social Worker, working for the City has allowed me to enhance these skills even more. My job is fun, easy, hassle free and good paying. I enjoy it a lot.
Good work environment
Receptionist (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 13, 2015
Good company to work with pick up lot of knowledge hands on train room to grow with the company a team group enviorment good hours good pay rate
City of Houston
Electrical Supervisor (Current Employee), Houston, TXMay 12, 2015
My day starts with reviewing incomplete jobs from our night shift, editing and correcting time cards, reviewing open work orders, answering emails, inputting inventory information into spreadsheets and from that point I handle whatever workload comes my way unless I already have scheduled meetings or appointments.

I have learned how to prioritize my work assignments and have gotten better at taking notes since sometimes I am assigned multiple assignments that must be completed with some being time sensitive.

I have had to learn how to deal with the different personalities of the employees that are assigned to me. Dealing with the employees can be uncomfortable at times but I have a good working relationship with my supervisors and employees.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with inexperienced management personnel and citizens. Staying up to date with all the policy changes and construction specifications, trying to keep up with an increased workload, which has made me a better multitasker and communicator, are also difficult parts of my job.

My section is responsible for the quality control of the equipment being installed and I take pride in knowing that my section is directly responsible for the safety of the citizens. I also enjoy the friends I've made.
Very good Place to work
Office Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 5, 2015
Pros: Great place to work
I loved working here but I was only a temp. The coworkers were nice and very friendly. I just wish I could have worked there longer I learned a lot in the short time that I was there.
Great experience with government
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 2, 2015
Enjoyed all aspects of the position. Government is totally different from corporate America. Must learn all the "rules" associated with each department.
Easy going place to work
Administrative Associate (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 29, 2015
Pros: easy, not hard work
Cons: non flexible hours
Kronos system is not fun however attendance has never been a issue of mine. Wish my schedule was more flexible. Easy as long as you complete work assignments in a timely manor.
I like it from the start
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 20, 2015
The people I met on the daily basis were nice and being able to learn how to issue BOP licenses and schedule the test for getting AC licenses was a great experience for me .
I learned how to really lookout and interact with my city
Utility Worker (Former Employee), Houston, TXApril 20, 2015
I learned basic utility operations/plumbing

I also learned how to start, stop, and prime a pump

I learned how to maintain a diesel generator

I learned customer service skills in the field, I truly believe customer service in the municipality field is highly difficult to master.
Workplace is conducive to a positive and healthy lifestyle
NUTRTIONIST CONSULTANT (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 19, 2015
Pros: Supervisors really care for the health and well being of clients.
Cons: Salary range is lower than private sector
I love the opportunity to develop and implement a variety of Nutrition Education and Wellness related project/activities
One of the most challenging task is to be able to provide effective nutrition education/counseling in a limited time as clients come for their certification appointments..
Overall Rating
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 10, 2015
My typical day at work contains assisting the public. My co workers and I work together to make sure we serve the customers with the best customer service. I enjoy working with the customers.
Great place to work.
Utility Worker (Current Employee), 7101 RenwickApril 9, 2015
Most days are the same routine as far as getting the crew together and getting the truck ready which includes daily inspection. working with the city of Houston I have learned how to repair and replace fire hydrants, I've learned how to repair broken water mains and service lines. for the most part my co-workers are great we always got along pretty good but to me the hard part in being able to advance.
Great people to work with
Customer Service representative I (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 8, 2015
GREAT PLACE TO WORK ..friendly people able to ask questions. able to work at own pace, learn the many things how the city works, great co-workers able to be team players

1 2 3 4 5