City of Houston Employee Reviews

Assistant Public Works Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2017
Good place to work , but the city is so large that each group have different cultures. The hardest part about working at the city of Houston is identifying the obstacles that you have to overcome to get things done efficiently
supportive relaxed workplace
Community Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2017
This was one of the best jobs ive had due to the endless support and interest in seeing transitioning aged youth suceed. They not only made sure i knew my position details and way around the office, they were also very attentive to my needs as an young adult making sure to meet them as best as they could.
Mission
Medicaid and Credential Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 26, 2017
You have the option to help the community . The city helps low income people, who dont have access to health insurance. They provide free dental care, vision, birth control and immunizations.
Pros
Flexiable Schedule
Poor management is driving away good people
School-Based Juvenile Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 17, 2017
The juvenile case manager program could be a great program for schools, but the management of the program is poor and nonsense busy work is taking time away from really making a difference.
Pros
Set work hours
Cons
school based position, but you work when school's out; poor management, micromanagement
Stressful
Field Supervisor (Former Employee) –  9215 Galveston RdNovember 6, 2017
The management doesnt work with you or help in roles that would affect them. Doesnt allow workers to cross train & some upper management wants to be in control of the supervisor. Too many write ups for things they did in the past but wants you to write up an employee for the same exact thing its not fair.
Pros
Good job
Cons
Poor upper management.
Used to be a good place to work, very low morale in IT
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 25, 2017
IT dept used to be great place to work, new management currently have morale at an all time low. Very hostile environment to work in, no advancement and what perks were previously provided have been taken away.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, low pay, and no advancement
excellent to work for
Senior Police Officer - Patrol Division (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 20, 2017
Great place to work for and great place for advancement and would recommend it to anyone, I had a great career and was able to retire, but I wish that I could of continue to work there.
Exciting place to work
Airport Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 20, 2017
I worked at HOU Airport and it was an awesome place to work. I love aviation and was a great way to be around planes and passengers. There are many exciting opportunities within COH for advancements.
Okay place to work
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2017
This was an okay place to work. You will deal with more problems with employees than the actual job. I had lots of problems with advancing due to supervisors.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Employees
The people are nice its a decent place to work
Sideloader Operator- Roll Off Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2017
The city of Houston is a decent place to work u could make a decent living but if u have bigger dream's i feel like it would take a while to get there
Department atmosphere
Painter (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2017
A typical day there is very relaxing and calm atmosphere to work. The people that works there are very easy going and easy to get along with.The supervisors are great!
Pros
hours are great!
Cons
weather at times
fun workplace, lots of activities, community engagement
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 11, 2017
I've worked for that city for 2 years now. My department is very involved in the community. The give wellness days, full 8 hr day for doctor appts, free testing, free shots for whatever you desire. Overall the city is great place to work.
Pros
Full benefits
Cons
pay could be better
Productive workplace but limited resources
Senior Public Health Educator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2017
Overall it was an amazing experience. Awesome and lovely people. Great professional experience with administrative personnel. Unfortunately communication doesn't flow properly and resources to complete projects are very limited. Sometimes you have to leave some special projects unfinished.
Pros
Interaction with community
Cons
Limited resources
Worst Place
Community Liaison (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 29, 2017
The Health Department is the worst department you can work for. The management will not let you move up the latter and will do everything in their power to make you feel small.
Pros
Time Off
Cons
management, pay
fun
Driver/Operator/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2017
great job to work, I would recommend it to any and all who need a job,. Go to workforce solution and sign up for and interview and they will assist you.
Didnt like it
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 22, 2017
City of Houston has some good qualities as some bad however the environment was negative majority of the time. I was resigned for personal reasons and was rehired to be then asked to resign based on from past employment
Fun Place To Work
Trash Sorter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2017
City Of Houston Was Very Enjoyable and fun, and easy to learn new things and meet new people. I thought the job would be difficult my first week as I got through everything was simple and laid back.
Daily work variety
Customer Service Level Agreements (Current Employee) –  2700 daltonSeptember 11, 2017
Joy daily always something new. Al;ways striving to exceed internal and external customer service! Citizens are our priority and safety. It feels intrinsically good to help others. The culture is very diverse to meet with our community.
Productive place that keeps the city of houston Garbage Trucks active and going
MECHANIC HELPER (Former Employee) –  6-10 and ellaSeptember 5, 2017
A typical day at work included assisting the mechanics with anything they needed when working on garbage trucks. I learned how to use tools I never used before. The work environment was up and down with the weather, it could get hot at times in the garage we worked in. Hardest part about the job was having to work with heavy equipment. What I enjoyed most were the people there.
My position was stable, but low pay for a massive amount of work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77002September 4, 2017
The work entailed working with a large number of citizens, most coming to the court angry, because they had received a ticket or citation. Worker morale was low, because of inexperienced management.
Pros
Job stability
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Houston. Our community is ready to answer.