City of Houston Employee Reviews

Unpaid Intern
ADMINISTRATIVE INTERN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I really enjoyed my time working for the city even though I was an unpaid intern the benefits of learning were worth being there for the time.
Pros
A lot of events were being held while I was there.
Cons
Unpaid intern
City
I.T. Helpdesk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2016
If You're someone that has a family or has managerial experience, or just starting off in the work field after college looking for somewhere to settle the city would be a great place for you. But if you;re some one that has been working the corporate America for a while you will not grow here. It is unorganized and behind on technology by a decade. Here its every man for them selves and co-workers want hesitate to throw others under the bus. the departments treat other departments as if they're enemies.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
unorganized
Public Health Educator/Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  3611 EnnisFebruary 1, 2016
Great co-workers
Flexible Schedule
Great working atmosphere
There is a great opportunity to grow through interacting with people
Pros
Working with people
Calm but productive work place
Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 31, 2016
My typical work day is coming into work and doing analysis and financial accounts. Co-workers are great. The most challenging part of my job is being able to multi task. Most enjoyable part is having empowerment to make decisions.
political environment
Treasurer/Personnel Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, AKJanuary 20, 2016
This is a small city government with the possibility of the mayor changing every year. In the eight years I worked there I worked under five different mayors.
City of Houston
Water Service Inspector (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2016
 Connects and disconnects water service for delinquent accounts and for tenants moving in and out.
Performs field investigations and inspections for water and sewer service related billing inquiries.
Overall cool place to work when everything is smoothly
Parking Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 18, 2016
I learned a lot about the rules and regulations for the City of Houston parking. Days were pretty simple while driving around various neighborhoods, but it became a hard task at night. The hardest part of the job was trying to explain to the citizens why they were getting parking citations. I really enjoyed getting to know the Mayor and all of her workers.
Pros
Meeting vaious people in the Houston area
Cons
Being threatened by citizens
Only reason to stay is the pay
Navigator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 5, 2016
This was a temp job with an opportunity to advance, which I later come to find out is only a lie to continue to draw temp workers in. To work for the health department, you must either be related to someone who works there or have a connection on the inside. My work/life balance was terrible, but I do attribute that to me living 30 miles away from my work site. The supervisors talk about permanent positions being available, but that was not the case.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Good but takes forever with everything
Criminalist (Current Employee) –  HoustonDecember 31, 2015
The City of Houston is a good job, but every process takes forever. Whether you are waiting on an interview, transfer, salary increase etc. they will not expedite any process. Although the pay is not great, the benefits may make up for it. The quality of management depends on which department you are assigned to.
Work at your own pace
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2015
Municipal job positions are well known for its "laid-back" setting. Some positions are a 24/7 operation and require more focus and attention to detail. I happen to be a part of that section. My work ethic was molded by this essential section. Because everyone in my division has to cover each other, regardless of job titles, no job is ever "not part of my job description."
Pros
Balanced work hours to 15 minute break ratio
Cons
Healthcare benefits
great
Cherry Picker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2015
Employment with this company was very interesting due to the high demand. you get a chance to work with diversity. It was very competitive with company places bet and games for the group who brought in the heaviest loads.
Excellent company good benefits met a lot of people.
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 3, 2015
I enjoyed working their but I was a Temp only.uniforms , company vehicle just didn't get hired on full time.Left on good terms with company.
Really enjoyed the company
East Ridge Light Industrial/ City Inspector (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2015
Though my time there was limited I enjoyed networking with people who were nice and offered competitive work and great incintives.
Pros
the pay
Cons
contracted work i was with a temp agency
Poor Management
Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2015
The managers do not hire the right people for the job. They do not communicate with their employees and then spring things on them. They only offer poor management practices and downgrade their employees. Worst place I have ever worked.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
awful place to work.
Working with other and teaching other on what i have learned
Sr Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2015
Work hard at what I do. But have never gave a chance to move up in the city. Spent to many year working hard need a change. To better my self.
Pros
Close to the house
Cons
Health Care
Manage the day-to-day operations
IRM Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2015
• Preside over the implementation of technology/business processes to increase information accessibility and integrated systems management
Productive place with a friendly enviroment.
Wastewater Supervisor (Former Employee) –  5400 MangumOctober 15, 2015
Very productive and always kept busy throughout the day. Management was always very helpful to their employees.Coworkers willing to help others.
Looking for a positive extension to showcase my skills and talents.
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
I truly enjoy my job, due to the creative field and I have a fondness for the individuals I work with on a daily basis. I also have an outstanding schedule that I appreciate more and more everyday.
Pros
Enjoyment, Co-Workers
Cons
Advancement, Politics
Least Productive Job
Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2015
I interned for this company for six months and hardly did any work. I wasn't able to gain any real experience or knowledge due to lack of work.
This is a good company to start off with it could be a place for a retirement as well
Records Technician (Former Employee) –  611 walker stOctober 1, 2015
I work for this company for 7-years I moved 2 times of job location.But I enjoyed my time the pro of this company is not room for advancement this is even with a degree this should be a matter that is taken in consideration but this could be due to the level of management.The pro to this company is it can become a permanet place for retirement it has good health benefits the compensation can depend on what level you may be or classfication another con to this company is it takes to long of process to inform you of the status of hiring this is to lenghthy of process.I did not here anything thing from my application until 6 momths on the status this is too long .An individual should be notified within a least a month no longer.
Pros
good company to look for permanentacy and retirement
Cons
the length of time of hiring to notify the status of ones application