City of Huntsville

City of Huntsville Employer Reviews

City of Huntsville
Detention Officer (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJune 21, 2014
Pros: helping the residents of huntsville
Cons: certain life and death situations within the job.
The City of Huntsville has many job opportunities. The pay is very good along with the benefits.
Something to do for the summer
Irrigation Systems Management (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJune 3, 2014
On a typical day i would dig holes outside and try to discover where a leak or break in a pipeline might be. Also we would make plans to make new pipes in small areas of a piece of land like greenhouses
i enjoy what i do.
Secretary I (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALDecember 23, 2013
a typical day at work is mainly taking phone calls from resident's, and relaying the calls to the supervisor of that route. also relaying information about our services, filing, payroll, doing work orders.

we are a team, my co-workers and I, we help each other out at all times if it is needed, the hardest part about this job is some of the resident – more... can be very rude, but that's part of the job, you handle it the very best way you can, the most enjoyable part of the job is you know you are actually helping people, and you know what you are doing, and just being here, in this position. – less
okay company
City of Huntsville Athletic Director (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJuly 8, 2013
Pros: great hours
poorly managed but overall they have great benifits excellent work hours so I cant complain
Had alot of fun learning different jobs while I was there.
Water Department Crewman (Former Employee), Huntsville, TXJune 19, 2013
Pros: great hours and benefits.
Cons: low salary.
Worked in Solid Waste and the Water Department. Learned alot and had great co-workers.
Best job ever
Traffic Safety Aide (Crossing Guard) (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJune 11, 2013
Pros: positive, meaningful work
Cons: only part time work available and the occassional rude driver
As a Crossing Guard for the City of Huntsville, I had the opportunity to serve the city, enjoy fair compensation, provide a safe environment for our kids and drivers as well as be a part of a very positive and professional group of people.

Typical morning starts at 7:10 and ends at 8:05. You return to your post whatever time school lets out and leave – more... half hour or one hour later, depending on the school. You always get paid for 4 hours, but usually work about 2 hours.

Post vary as far as traffic, pedestrians, etc

The hardest part of the job is when someone is unnecessarily rude or tries to slip by you when you are trying to control traffic/cross children. I literally almost got ran over a couple of times at a very busy post. (Please be nice to your crossing guard...she really is just trying to do her job)

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the many smiling faces and waving hands of children and drivers.

Extra hours are available as traffic patrol for races, parades, etc – less
What I've Learned...
Fixed Route Driver (Current Employee), Public TransitMay 12, 2013
Cons: everything...including low pay for high risk jobs!
"It's not what you know, it's who you know!" That just about sums it up for this place of employment. It doesn't matter how smart or talented you are or what qualifications or degrees you have, you will not advance unless you are part of the "good-old-boy" network. There are people in management positions here that do not even have the required bachelor – more... degrees. Yet, they are supervisors only because of who they know and how easily they can manipulate others to get to what they want. I would never recommend working here. – less
Good Learning Environment
Secretary II (Current Employee), Administration/Office of MayorMay 10, 2013
Typical day at work can be very busy which is good, because it keeps you sharp and ready for anything based upon the political atmosphere.
I am continuously learning more and more with each day because you never know what to expect with each new day. It also shows me different aspects of the job, such as economics, administration, communications, and – more... multicultural affairs etc.
I work with a diverse group of people that come from different walks of life and I enjoy learning from each person, which helps me to grow personally and professionally.
The hardest part of the job for me is not being able to satisfy each person that I assist but that is the nature of the beast, because you cannot please everyone. There are many times in which I face some difficult situations but I learn and move on. The next time it presents itself I am ready to meet the challenge head on.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people which can bring more satisfaction to me than anything else. When someone says to me 'thank you so much for your help' I know that I've done my job. – less
Great Co-Workers
Lifeguard (Current Employee), Huntsville, ALJanuary 10, 2013
Great company to work for but difficult to move up in the company.
Productive and Fun work place
Recreation Coordinator (Current Employee), Huntsville, TXJanuary 5, 2013
Recreation is a good department, management is good and doesn't micro-manage. You have to be a self starter.
not bad for seasonal work
Landscape Management -TEMP (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALOctober 26, 2012
nice people to be working around only downside is no fulltime employment only part time or seasonal work

About City of Huntsville