City of Irving Employee Reviews

Productive and Interactive workplace with Children
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 22, 2016
A typical day at work would be coming in and interacting with not only children but regulars that come in. What I have learned from this job is time management on getting events and classes done for the customers satisfaction. Management here is put together well and organized. My co-workers are very friendly and modest about one an others ideas. The hardest part of my job is not being able to speak other languages because the recreational center has many cultures (very diverse). The most enjoyable part about my job is that there is not dual moment with the children (entertaining) and customers (friendly).
Worked here for 6 years last 3 were the worst experience of my career. Management was very vendictive bordering on harassment. Or hostile work environ
automotive tech. (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 28, 2015
Wish I could have stayed longer buy management was not thinking about the employee at all. As long as current management stays there will be a lot of turn over with staff.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
a great sense of helping and dealing with the public
Irving Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 13, 2013
My job is crossing children and teenagers and pedestrians. I have learned to be patient and understanding and also to be stern on occasions. Management is great my boss is a very understanding and helpful individual. I don't really do much interacting with co-workers since I am alone at my post. Hardest part of job is not being able to tell drivers they are speeding. My most enjoyable is helping the children and pedestrians and anybody needing my help. I also enjoy being outside and enjoying the day.
Pros
love the flexability
Cons
no benefits and few hours
Great place to work for
Facilities mechanic (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 30, 2015
I enjoyed working with professional co=workers and customers.
Started out as painters helper but encouraged myself to do more for the company I worked for and to save them money.
A Typical Day at Work
Lead After School/ Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 6, 2015
On a typical day, I come in and help set up the room before the kids get out of school and print out the attendance sheet. Once that is finish, my team and I, go pick the kids up from school, which is semi connected to the Recreation Center where I work. I check them in, and walk back over to the Recreation Center. Once we have all our kids settled and organized, we take them to the gym for about an hour and do gym games with them. After that hour is over, we then go to the Large Activity Room, where we provide them snack and that usually last about 30 minutes. After snack time is over I then separate the kids that have homework from those that don't. When the children don't have homework, I still advise that they read, so that they are not distracting those that do have homework. I then go around and help those that need help on homework. After about an hour of homework time, the kids then gather their belongings and my staff and I get ready to either take them outside or to the game room until their parents come get them. If I am not working with the kids, I am in the office, enrolling people into the various classes that we offer, or taking payments and answering phone calls.
There is a total of 4 staff, including myself that work with the kids in the After School Program. We strive to help these kids be the best that they can be. Each week we pick leaders from each grade level that we feel have followed directions, helped out when needed, and set an example for their peers. I love working with a diverse group of children and look forward to seeing them and hearing all
  more... sorts of crazy stories that they have to tell.  less
good working place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 2, 2015
the environment provide gives one the ability to learn in a office setting and provide ways to grow. i would recommend this to anyone.
City of Irving is a city on the move
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 25, 2012
A typical day is great in interacting with customers, volunteers and co-workers. I learned that if we all do our part then the job is done. I think instead of management pointing fingers, also re-evaluate yourself. Your fellow co-workers are a joy to work with. The hardest part of the job is when you go home thinking about your job and how you can improve it. The most enjoyable part is that I was a part of the City of Irving when it came from the days of old and into the current century. Change is good, especially in this case and will also generate great revenue.
Pros
health program, bonus for being healthy and so on
Cons
no cons to report
Environmental Compliance is the key to Clean Water
Environmental Compliance Specialist/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 31, 2013
There are many aspects of Water quality. There are water quality programs that can be detrimental to any city if they are not compliant. The drinking water, wastewater, total oils and grease, and stormwater programs that must follow the rules and regulations provided in the 40 CFR for environmental protection agency. Making sure that each program follows it's protocol for compliance requires a strategic plan that must be followed.
Pros
no lay offs
Cons
no opportunity for advancement
an organization that provided growth for self-motivated individuals
Retired (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 15, 2012
Strong advancement opportunity for motivated, value - add employees. Offers diverse opportunities to grow and be involved in special projects. Very much enjoyed being a public servant and assisted employyes in recognizing their importance. Very much enjoyed working with and advising City Councils.
Pros
serving citizens and improving their quality of life.
Cons
many meetings
Irving
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 14, 2014
The day is hectic dealing with crime victims
I have learned listening skills, computer skills, and managing those with tempers. I have learned to depend on my co-workers to watch what I cannot see and teach me what I do not know. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the child victims. The most enjoyable is seeing a crying child smile after they receive a teddy bear and a hug.
Pros
helping others in a bad sitution
Cons
the heart break of children
A great place to have had a career
Heavy Equiment Operator / Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 30, 2014
Most of my days were spent outside, driving a truck, while interacting with the public. I really enjoyed working outside and getting to meet new people. I would have to say the most difficult part of the job was operating a boom around low hanging power lines.
Pros
respectible retirement package
Cons
working outside during bad weather
Best place to work
Code Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 3, 2012
I loved working for the City of Irving! Management was very helpful, and very personable, no other place has compared!
Pros
family friendly, they care about their employees
Excellant employer
Accounting Clerk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 11, 2015
City of Irving offered many opporunties for professional growth.
Great place to work, learned alot.
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 12, 2014
Working for the City of Irving was a great place to work, learned a lot in a short period of time. Co-workers were great people.
The hardest part about the job was learning the different bonds and learning Central Control.
Pros
everyone was a team player
Amazing
Umpire (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 3, 2014
I could not have ask for a better opportunity to be able to enjoy umpiring and learning the game the correct way.
Great Place to intern
Intern (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 7, 2014
Great staff with tons on Knowledge. Willing to share and teach
Pros
great people, learn a lot, meet a lot of people
Parks and Recreation available to employees and family.
Recreation Building Maintenance Leader (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 22, 2012
It was a pleasure working at City Of Irving. Very friendly,Team work oriented and excellent work environment.
Productive fun place to work
Recreational Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 27, 2013
The city cares about you as an employee and if something happens to you or your family they give you the time you need to deal with it. I think that this is great place to work!!
Interesting workplace
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 12, 2013
The atmosphere at this place of employment is a unique and interesting one. A city department run like a business.
Pros
make a difference.
Cons
customer environment
Fun workplace
Intern, Housing and Human Services Department (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 13, 2014
I had an internship in the City of Irving and it was a fun place to work at.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Irving. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4