City of Irving Employee Reviews

Ok for a retiree
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 25, 2017
This is excellent for a retiree who does not need to make too much to affect their pension.

Working with children and mothers is enjoyable. So it is a friendly environment. Unfortunately there is no room for advancement or increased hours.
Pros
Friendly environment, easy hours
Cons
No benefits, no advancement, little compensation.
long hours but fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMay 13, 2017
A typical day is spent talking to customers and taking care of the pool.
I have learned self control at the pool, and managment.
The work place is fun enviorment especially for the customers that come often.
The hardest part about the job is the summer heat.
the enjoyable part is that it is a pool and we have fun while working.
The managment at the pool owned by the city is great.
Pros
get to swim for free
Cons
heat
Positive Work Environment
Opportunities for advancement
Cross training
Stress for on call
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 4, 2017
There were never enough employess to cover a 24 hour on call shift being the job was a high turnaround in employment. Although pay was good it was stressful working so much overtime.
Nice Place to work
Recreation Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 3, 2017
Amazing Opportunity fun environment, work atmosphere good and a great job for moving up quickly. Great benefits and city matches you 2 to 1...........
nice place to work with great people
Activities Leader, (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 24, 2017
My typical work day would be walking into a clean and fun environment with plenty of people who love their job. I learned how to maintain and manage at the work place due to some awesome coworkers who helped guide me.
Pros
great coworkers, fun work celebrations, and the kids are so much fun
Cons
not enough hourly pay, hours are limited
HR Clerk
Housing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 27, 2017
All duties of payroll clerk. Answered all calls from employees regarding background checks. Entered all payroll inquires to the oracle system. Prepared all reports for the Controller.
Might be a good place to work.
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 19, 2016
The director of the department at the time, had his own ideas of what he wanted regardless of federal and state regulations, and attempted to push these ideas through which cost him his job in the end.

The IT department is a good group to work in now, and has been able to provide for the community and workforce.

The work was hard, but rewarding. Limited staff to work with, but very good, trained, and able to perform the task required.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Poor Management at the time.
Municipal Government
Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 15, 2016
The City of Irving Texas is a growing community that has seen it's better days when the Dallas Cowboys were in town. Still has a lot going for it and could be doing a better job of getting companies to move in.
Pros
Cost of living
Cons
Lack of good goverment responsibility
City of Irving
Summer Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 26, 2016
•Supervised summer camp attendants in recreational activities, led field trips, supervised swimming activities, and ensured the camper’s safety in a fun environment.
•Successfully acquired the skills and knowledge necessary to perform the front desk responsibilities.
•Accepted any/all challenges given to me by the department director.
•Enthusiastically operated within all special events put on by the City in connection to the recreation center.

Want to know more about City of Irving?

Ask a question
Productive and Interactive workplace with Children
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXMarch 22, 2016
A typical day at work would be coming in and interacting with not only children but regulars that come in. What I have learned from this job is time management on getting events and classes done for the customers satisfaction. Management here is put together well and organized. My co-workers are very friendly and modest about one an others ideas. The hardest part of my job is not being able to speak other languages because the recreational center has many cultures (very diverse). The most enjoyable part about my job is that there is not dual moment with the children (entertaining) and customers (friendly).
Great place to work for
Facilities mechanic (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 30, 2015
I enjoyed working with professional co=workers and customers.
Started out as painters helper but encouraged myself to do more for the company I worked for and to save them money.
A Typical Day at Work
Lead After School/ Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 6, 2015
On a typical day, I come in and help set up the room before the kids get out of school and print out the attendance sheet. Once that is finish, my team and I, go pick the kids up from school, which is semi connected to the Recreation Center where I work. I check them in, and walk back over to the Recreation Center. Once we have all our kids settled and organized, we take them to the gym for about an hour and do gym games with them. After that hour is over, we then go to the Large Activity Room, where we provide them snack and that usually last about 30 minutes. After snack time is over I then separate the kids that have homework from those that don't. When the children don't have homework, I still advise that they read, so that they are not distracting those that do have homework. I then go around and help those that need help on homework. After about an hour of homework time, the kids then gather their belongings and my staff and I get ready to either take them outside or to the game room until their parents come get them. If I am not working with the kids, I am in the office, enrolling people into the various classes that we offer, or taking payments and answering phone calls.
There is a total of 4 staff, including myself that work with the kids in the After School Program. We strive to help these kids be the best that they can be. Each week we pick leaders from each grade level that we feel have followed directions, helped out when needed, and set an example for their peers. I love working with a diverse group of children and look forward to seeing them and hearing all
  more... sorts of crazy stories that they have to tell.  less
good working place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 2, 2015
the environment provide gives one the ability to learn in a office setting and provide ways to grow. i would recommend this to anyone.
Worked here for 6 years last 3 were the worst experience of my career. Management was very vendictive bordering on harassment. Or hostile work environ
automotive tech. (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 28, 2015
Wish I could have stayed longer buy management was not thinking about the employee at all. As long as current management stays there will be a lot of turn over with staff.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Excellant employer
Accounting Clerk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 11, 2015
City of Irving offered many opporunties for professional growth.
Amazing
Umpire (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 3, 2014
I could not have ask for a better opportunity to be able to enjoy umpiring and learning the game the correct way.
A great place to have had a career
Heavy Equiment Operator / Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 30, 2014
Most of my days were spent outside, driving a truck, while interacting with the public. I really enjoyed working outside and getting to meet new people. I would have to say the most difficult part of the job was operating a boom around low hanging power lines.
Pros
respectible retirement package
Cons
working outside during bad weather
Great Place to intern
Intern (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXNovember 7, 2014
Great staff with tons on Knowledge. Willing to share and teach
Pros
Great people, learn a lot, meet a lot of people
Irving
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXOctober 14, 2014
The day is hectic dealing with crime victims
I have learned listening skills, computer skills, and managing those with tempers. I have learned to depend on my co-workers to watch what I cannot see and teach me what I do not know. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the child victims. The most enjoyable is seeing a crying child smile after they receive a teddy bear and a hug.
Pros
Helping Others in a bad sitution
Cons
the heart break of children