City of Jacksonville Employee Reviews in United States

Energetic and learned experiences.
Seasonal Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Atlantic Beach, FL 32233April 7, 2016
A typical workday would include learning more on first aid, reviewing first responder skills, and utilizing CPR certifications. Gained knowledge on working with diverse populations and handling stressful and chaotic situations in a professional manner. Management and co-workers made the job have the energetic atmosphere. The hardest part of the job would be a 10 hour day in the heat. The most enjoyable part of the day was the satisfaction in helping others.
productive office and friendly enviroment
Tax Collector (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaOctober 13, 2015
The management was nice. The staff was friendly and nice to their co-workers which made it a nice place to work. Management was always trying to reduce stress levels, by cooking breakfast for her employees before the start of business. I enjoyed working their, but I needed room to grow.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
Administrative Asst./ Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCFebruary 9, 2016
l enjoyed giving a smile to each and every customer. l was able to give information & be a Notary Public. Each day working there was never a dull moment. l was given many tasks & was a trusted employee. My coworkers were like family & we all got along well. l will miss my coworkers but the experience there was worth it all.
Pros
Great benefits
Great Benefits
Senior Customer Service Representative/CSAIII (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FloridaJuly 18, 2015
A typical day with the City of Jacksonville consisted of talking with disgruntled customers on a day-to-day basis. Customers called in concerning problems in their neighborhood, such as: Missed garbage, potholes, animals at large or even a malfunctioning traffic signal. My job was to enter the concern in our "CARE" (Citizens Active Response Emergency) to the correct department for the issue/concern to be addressed.

Management in the call center was not supportive of the representatives and constantly tried to cause confusion between the staff.

The enjoyable part about working with the city was the pay, benefits and holidays.
Benefits
Planning Dept Receptionist
Planning Dept Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 4, 2016
Oversee calendars and schedules including personal and professional events.

Make all senior executive travel and entertainment arrangements

Prepare written and electronic correspondence: maintain phone and correspondence logs.
Horrible place to work when it comes to compensation
Solid Waste Worker II (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 29, 2015
They don't take care of their employees. The equipment doesn't function properly. You're overworked and underpaid. Management doesn't report your time correctly for proper compensation.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Compensation, management, dysfunctional equipment
Awesome career
Worker's Compensation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 29, 2016
If you're a citizen of Jacksonville and would like to give back to the community this is the place to be. This employer has a full range of job opportunity but its political.
Pros
Great work enviorment
Cons
Pay not as great as private sector however job stability is.
Great environment and people to be around.
Scorekeeper (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ALMay 22, 2016
I learned patience and how to deal with confrontations with people properly. Working here for the most part was a great environment, there were occasional downs but we fixed any problems we had and everything was moving smooth again.
Great work place, had good working equipment,
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ORJune 7, 2016
It was a great place to work employees got along with one another work orders were always in order paper work was easy to understand
Pros
Work vehicle was provided along with all the equipment needed
Cons
Money is good for less work
Weigh Master (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 21, 2016
sitting in a weigh booth for long hours of the day weighing in trucks and personal vehicle to dump waste. learned how to operate a commercial scale. not really a hard job to do.
Pros
its an easy job ...
Cons
long hours and rotating shifts
good place to work
WeighMaster (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 21, 2016
working with the public mostly youth but a nice day at work. Been able to make a difference in the community and being a positive role model to others.
Pros
good benefits and a good place to work
Cons
job security is sometimes scar
amazing summers
Ocean Rescue (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 5, 2015
The City of Jacksonville Beach has more than 4.1 miles of sandy beaches which offer recreational opportunities year round.

The City of Jacksonville Beach Ocean Rescue Division and the American Red Cross Volunteer Life Saving Corps provide ocean safety to residents and visitors along our beach year round. Beach staffing is weather dependent. In case of severe weather, lifeguards will continue monitoring the beach via truck patrols.

Beach wheelchairs for the disabled are available upon request at our lifeguard station.

Jacksonville Beach offers free Ocean Safety education upon request for individuals, groups, organizations, schools, or your family.
Lifeguard
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 17, 2016
City of Jacksonville provided me with the best opportunity in the Jacksonville workforce during the summer. being lifeguard gave me many opportunities. I earned certifications in CPR and first aid. plus the pay and hours were good and consistent.
Pros
Good Pay Good hours
Cons
no cons
Great experience
Military Personnel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 7, 2016
The City of Jacksonville is great organization to work for. Great people. The only negative is that in some instances there is no room for advancement and no raises.
Wasted too much time
Deployment Engineer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 11, 2016
Never had an image ready to deploy and sat around waiting for days and weeks. Users, (City consul personal) were very rude and impatient.
Pros
Time to work on networking
Cons
Wasting time
Great Summer Job
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 8, 2016
The is a fun easy summer job with fun co workers and a good work atmosphere. The task which you are asked to complete are not tough and you also get a chance to help the local community.
learning Experience
Supervisor of Elections (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 15, 2015
I am in charge of Absentee Ballots that are to be sent in the mail to voters and also when they are returned in the mail. I have learned a lot about computers and specified mailing equipment. Management has been up and down in the past few years but all in all they have been supportive and beneficial. I love working with my co-workers they have been very interesting and great to get to know and work with. The hardest part would be just making sure I keep every returned absentee ballot in the correct location and verified and tabulated. NOT MISSING ANY! The fact that I have learned something new practically every day.
City worker
Maintenance II Worker (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 28, 2016
love my job, enjoy landscaping, mowing and dealing with the public. Seeing what you have accomplished and being recognized by the public.
Pros
work for the city
Cons
weather in the summer
Fast paced and very demanding
Trial Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 28, 2016
You meet all kinds of people on a daily basis and worked with great people that we all considered our family. I created life long friends.
Productive environment that provides morale boosters
Clerical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 1, 2015
Generally speaking, I would handle phone calls (internal and external), general office duties to include accounts payable and accounts receivable. Bi-annual city auctions that would permit me to meet external customers and make their auction partificaption exciting. Being a leader is an important role if you want production to continue to rise and satisfy customers. Our management always took care of their employees and always asked for our input how to solve issues or how to boost morale.
Pros
Unscheduled office parties, healthcare, breaks
Cons
pay for parking too expensive