City of Jacksonville Employee Reviews

City Work
Driver Coordinator/ Safety Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 16, 2017
Management was well trained we knew what had to be done and it had to get done in a timely manner the to supervise over 100 people and to watch over 60+ vehicles and heavy equipment and make sure the job site was prep to OSHA standards. While inspecting all vehicles according to DOT standards at the start and the end of the day.
Pros
Time Off, benefits
Cons
Health care plans
ok but you never move up in the city unless someone knows you.
Logistics Event Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 16, 2017
The job is fine but nowhere to move up and no raises. Everywhere in the city the good paying jobs are all in who you know. Not by experience. The city tends to be gender specific for high paying jobs. males get higher pay than females.
Pros
insurance and days off
Cons
have to no someone to get your pay moved up
Dismal and dead end no chance for advancement
Animal Control Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARJune 2, 2017
Day to day work varied on the staff ,they dictate your day if they don't like you they make things hard, I learned a lot from school at ASACA was awarded multiple certifications but they only send you twice and never again they are very strict and cheap with budget money and often use only people they knew growing up to fix things. Management didn't care about the staff and claimed to have an open door policy but if you utilized it and spoke your mind on a subject they didn't like or wanted to address you were told to let it go or to find a job elsewhere.They were very adamant about keeping things the same, workplace culture not very diverse, was very limited only 2 peoples opinions were ever valued everyone else was told to shut up the hardest part of the job was dealing with the high levels of stress associated with the staff and management as they were all clearly burnt out on the job and all on antidepressants, painkillers, aspirin and short tempers the public and the animals were very easy to deal with and usually easy going. The most enjoyable part of the job was going in to work and never knowing what kind of adventures awaited you that day in the world while I was there I dealt with quite a few animals and have lots of stories to tell my kids.
Pros
Very nice facility
Cons
breaks are non existent, and you are always working even when off the clock and not on call
Knowledge of the city street and location
Driver/Operator of both garbage (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 4, 2017
The typical work day is driving on your designated routes picking up recycling bins and trash. I got to learn different parts of the city and the workplace culture enhanced my team member spirit.
Benefits
Cons
Outdoor weather
pay is low promotions are few
not say (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 28, 2017
The pay is below standard for a privately held company. Many people go years with no promotion or pay raise. Also seems to be held back by lack of change to anything modern.
City of Jacksonville
Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 14, 2017
I enjoyed my time with the city utilizing my CDL License. I learned a lot of new things and also took tests to be promoted and passed. Overall the City of Jacksonville was a great experience for me.
I choose not to write anything since I am still employed.
Tax Collector (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32202March 20, 2017
At this time, I choose not to write anything since I am still employed with the City of Jacksonville and have fears about retaliation if I put down my experiences.
It's a nice place to work.
Tax Collector's Office, Revenue Collector Senior (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 18, 2017
Working at the City Of Jacksonville was Awesome. It has room for advancement. It's a environment to keep you busy dealing with customer with all kinds of complaints.
Pros
Free Insurance for employee's
Cons
shorts breaks
Nice work environment
Police Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 17, 2017
When I was an employee, this was a nice place to work. The work/ life balance was fine. It was the usual M-F 8-5 work life. The management was awesome.
love it
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 15, 2017
I loved working for the city nice wonderful co-workers as well as managers. great chill job also it deals with kids so you have to like children.
Rewarding
Fire Rescue Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 10, 2017
A typical day on the fire department begins with arriving at 8 am, working for 8 or 24 hours. I learned that being a team player is important but retaining your own identity is vital.
Pros
Saving lives
Cons
internal department issues
Real productive workplace great equipment
Street Department (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, TXJanuary 30, 2017
Good job. There was always something to do! Somedays were about troublesome due to the weather but we always managed to figured out a way.
physically strenuous
Seasonal Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARJanuary 29, 2017
Typical outdoor maintenance work, a lot of long days and hard work but overall it taught me what it means to work. I learned basic plumbing skills and small engine repair as well as how to prepare sports fields.
Forward Movement Culture
Manager - Housing Services (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 17, 2017
The job gives you what you put into it. Provides a support and professional development culture for all. Full accountability is expected. Opportunities to do more for the community is abundant.
Internship with a lot of field experience
ADA Surveyor (Paid Internship) (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 3, 2016
a typical day would include a morning briefing with light chatter. We would come up with a plan of action for the day. We would break into teams to conquer our task for the day.

Team management was well executed.
Supervisor was very reliable.
The hardest part of the job was data entry.
Fun work environment.
Pros
Free Lunch.
Cons
short break
Great place
DISPATCHER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, AROctober 25, 2016
Challenging work for a serious person wanting to help others. Great place and able to help people. People are great and security is a huge plus.Helping other is always a great benefit.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Stressful Work
Great Experience
Information Specialist & Front Desk Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 4, 2016
One of the best jobs!!!! I enjoyed speaking to the citizens of Jacksonville on a daily basis. Although most were complaints and reporting of neighbors and animals it felt good to help them with their issues
Pros
Working downtown on the plaza, close to all the city events and enetertainment
Cons
parking
very fun place to start of career
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 22, 2016
excellent enviroment.great people.beautiful pools an nice pool deck.we get free life guard equipment.helps us to get better with our people skills fun trips an... etc
Pros
free lunches.free food.free hangout
Cons
very short breaks
Watching kids
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Grand Park, FLSeptember 14, 2016
I learned how to be patience and how to work with people as a team and to be the best you can be.The hardest part of the job was siting in the sun. The most enjoyable part of the job was coming to work.
Pros
Had fun
Cons
Short breaks
Exciting place to work
Certified Police Bailiff (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 18, 2016
Typical day at work was getting prepared for the inmates to come before the judge. I've learned to work with lawyers and judges. Management was understanding. Coworkers we stuck together like family. Hardest part of the job was listening to the family of victims during trial. Enjoyable part was hanging out with the judges
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Listening to victim stories during trial

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Jacksonville. Our community is ready to answer.