CITY OF KILLEEN Employee Reviews

Alright job, not for everyone.
Ground Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJune 5, 2017
It was a good job, however it is not for everyone. If you can't handle outdoor weather/ grass cutting, you will not have a good time. Many times an event would be scheduled 2 days in advance with little choice in working or not.
Part time rec assistant
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 2, 2017
Work with the City of Killeen was a great opportunity, with advancement options available. I did not work there long, but I can tell you that the benefits are wonderful, and the people are great to work with.
Productive and A Friendly Place
Solid Waste (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXOctober 26, 2016
I love my job the people wad awesome and polite. Good surroundings and employees.We used the City Vehicle to so our job and they supplied the gas for the vehicle.We had to keep them clean ourselves and I really miss this job.Sorry they discontinued it. But a wonderful experience I had with this job.
Pros
three days off a week
Cons
lost of job
Learned valuable information on the growth of a city
Principal Secretary - Planning and Zoning Division (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 31, 2016
at typical day at work I would have worked directly with at least one of the following: general public,contractors, Public Officials, and other City Departments. Perform a variety of clerical and administrative work, provide customer assistance, data processing, mail distribution and accounting. manage ledger of budgetary expenditures; checking for errors and compiling comprehensive reports. Prepare purchase orders/payment requisitions for Department, posts payments received in person or through mail, with cash, check or credit card payment, and made daily deposits.
Nice For Beginner
Public Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMay 1, 2016
It was a great place to get my feet wet in the law enforcement arena. I learned a lot for the officers, the judges, and other staff. Work locations could change daily or by the week. There was no difficult part to me. It was a family once you get use to everyone on your shift.
Pros
Multiple shifts available, Pay rate, Benefits
Cons
Shift Work
Fun work place with lots of pools and slides
Recreation Assistant / Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXApril 11, 2016
Watch over young kids and likely to save somebody from drowning, Every one is always happy because they work at a water park and get to swim when ever they get hot on a Texas summer day.
Pros
Get to swim for free when ever you feel like it
Cons
You get super burnt during the summer
Excellent benefits but late hours and weekend work.
Airport Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 20, 2016
Great job as a long term career. Not so much for family life or a social life. Retirement options are the best but you have to put in at least 30 years to make it work. Family life will suffer unless you get a 9-5 job there.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Late hours. Work on weekends which leaves no time for family.
The Pros of the City of Killeen
Community Development Assistant (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJuly 22, 2015
The best part of working for the City of Killeen was the knowledge I acquired. The paid holidays and flexible spending benefit were great. I am proud to be a part of the TMRS as well.
Love the Job
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 1, 2015
Easy job ... Supervisors are at your disposal at any given time ... Great job security ... Weather permitting job gets done easy as pie
Water/ Wastewater Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXFebruary 27, 2015
Typically I Was Repairing Sewer Main break's, Learned many things, backhoe operation's, street cutting, vactor truck operation's, pipe bursting technique's, driving flatbed truck with flatbed trailer, and more. My co-workers were great fun and funny. Hardest part was being waist deep in poopy. Most enjoyable was hanging with the co-workers on our friday end of the month bar-b-que's
Pros
the knowledge you learn
Cons
low pay for the job
Making our community better
Code Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXNovember 27, 2014
My day is full of state laws and city ordinances, attempting to make the city a better place to live. Patrolling the streets of Killeen to ensure that the citizens have complied with the ordinances and to bring those who are not in compliance into compliance. I've learned to have compassion for all people and have increased my customer skills. I've learned how to carry myself in a professional manner with appearing in court and facing our judge for citations I have written. Our department has many different types of management, so I have had to learn how handle each manager in their own unique way and how to take their advice and criticism in the way they know how to express it. The hardest part of my job has been trying to stay compassionate and firm with all the different kinds of citizens and having to put myself in dangerous situations. I have enjoyed working on the dangerous building program and I have really enjoyed making Killeen a better place to live or visit for it's citizens and for future citizens.
Pros
The benefits and the freedom to do my job.
Cons
The management team isn't trained very well, the management are not on the same page with running the department.
Favorite Job Thus Far
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXOctober 9, 2014
Working for the water park was probably the best jobs i have had thus far. only bad thing is the heat. Loved it here!
Pros
City discounts
Cons
heat, summer hire only
easy going
Building and Grounds Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXJune 21, 2014
good place to work,good flexable hours sometimes able to work with you on your hours
Amazing
Sean Gilliland, Golf Course Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJune 3, 2014
The workplace was very relaxing and comfortable . Made me feel like I actually do my job without being forced. Free flowing and had a great schedule.
this job was great.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 13, 2014
loved my job an just a great job to have working for the city. just wish i didnt have to move because i would still be working there.
Steady
Environmental Specialist/Code Enforcement Officer (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXSeptember 28, 2013
The City of Killeen has afforded me with the training to create a career in the Code Enforcement/Construction Inspection field. The benefits and flexibility allowed in scheduling makes this a steady and reliable employer. I have also created some life long friendships through this organization.
Benefits
Cons
Inconsistencies in management
Productive and Safe Work Place
Operator / Worker (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXSeptember 25, 2013
A typical day at work would be to have a meeting in the morning discuss what objectives would need to be completed, and how could we get the job done by the dead line. After the crews leave the shop we would head out to the job sites that where asighned to each crew, set up signs for our safty, on coming and on going traffic safty. After we set up equiptment we meet up with the crew leader that gives the instructions on what need to be done. The hardest part of the jobs is not being able to complete the job by the assignd date, because people would complain about the road not being done or how its causing backup on the road ways. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to get the job done with no complaints.
Pros
You get to work with as a solid team and long breaks
Cons
if you start a project in the rain we have to finish it, work through breaks, someone could get hurt if not wareing the proper safety aquiptment
Dream Job for Admin Assistance
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXAugust 26, 2013
Wonderful place to work, every inch of the building is welcoming and quiet. Friendly management and professional.
I enjoyed working with the customers
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXAugust 4, 2013
My day started at 5AM and ended at 1PM, I really like them hours and I worked at a gym and there were a steady stream of customers, that was enjoyable. My immediate manager was awesome, but the guy over him was not that great of a leader, a good person but management was not his thing. It's crazy that the hardest part is the part I liked most and the only reason why it was hard is because I worked 2 jobs at the time, it was the hours.
Pros
healthcare, retirement fund
Cons
no breaks, management
A place I would love to retire with...great people.
Street Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXMarch 19, 2013
City of Killeen was a wonderful place to work. A typical work day was get to the job site,set up the work zone,do as much as you can before the day ends.It had great benefits. I learned experience in concrete,welding, asphalt,street painting,backhoe,bobcat. There was nothing to hard about this job. I enjoyed working with my coworkers and learning the new things with each job that was assigned to us.Management was great to work under, always there when you needed them or had a problem. The most enjoyable part was all the experiences I learned and the friends I gained.
Pros
hour lunchs
Cons
longer hours