City of Lancaster Employee Reviews

Excellent work experience
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 8, 2016
This position has taught me how to deal with problems independently and without supervision. I get to work with numerous employees and practice my ability to accomplish tasks with people of different backgrounds. Largely a small-team based position.
Pros
Interaction with the public. Ability to supervise sporting events.
Cons
Lack of hours (Part Time)
Great Place To Gain Experience
Maintenance Aide (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 29, 2016
I worked for the city of Lancaster for nearly 2 years . i enjoyed the somewhat flexible schedule and all the new people i met along the way. The work load was a bit laborious but still manageable. but working conditions can be very extreme since your working outside 90% of the time.
Pros
Government agency, consistent staff, good benefits
Cons
Strict budget makes it hard to move up, limited hours
Very well run organization
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CANovember 6, 2015
Working there is an excellent way of developing writing skills needed such as learning to write press releases which many organizations use to disseminate information.
great place to work
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAOctober 12, 2015
fun work place with supportive management. I enjoyed working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day.
Pretty Cool
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, TXSeptember 11, 2015
The city was a pretty cool job. You sat at a desk all day and answered the phones, took messages, made reservations, and did cashier duties. I enjoyed this job because it did not require a lot of muscle or lifting, but that also maybe the reason I didn't like it as much. I often found myself bored until the after school children arrived about 3:30, then it was a party. My manager at the time of hire, was amazingly cool, understanding, and easy to get along with. Right before I left, a whole new crew of managers and leaders came in and things quickly changed.
Pros
Sitting at a desk all day
Cons
sitting at a desk all day, no benefits, no raises
Assistant Utility Billing Supervisor, City Hall (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, SCFebruary 18, 2015
Loved working with the City Employees and co workers. Very close net environment. Supervised two clerks who was very smart and dependable. Customers would come in and pay their water bill monthly. It was nice seeing so many friendly faces. Married and moved to NC.
Exciting Cutting Edge Place
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJanuary 28, 2015
A City that understands their constituents and strives to make the area a great place to live. A location that believes in their employees and strives to ensure they have a great work/life balance.
Depends WHERE you work within the City
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, KYAugust 11, 2014
It all depends on what department you work for with the City of Lancaster. Some departments are mellow, driven, motivated, and drama-free. Other departments are drama filled, low moral, and unprofessional.
Pros
good benefits, banker hours (if office worker), small workforce
Cons
drama, unprofessional, no/little advancement, favoritism
Good part-time job for students
Recreation Leader I (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 28, 2014
Most days in my specific department sees me and one to two others preparing softball fields for community leagues. This typically includes placing bases, watering the infield, leveling the batters area and chalking the foul lines. We also provide services for larger softball organizations during the summer months.

As city employees we also participate with other community events such as our yearly Poppy Festival, Christmas on the BLVD, and BooLVD for Halloween. These events have us serve in a variety of capacities, anything from taking tickets at the front gates of events, cleanup, providing directions, running family games, security, set-up, tear-down, escorts, traffic direction, to parking enforcement.

Because of certain working hour restrictions it is typically very easy to work around another job or school. Bosses and supervisors are generally easy-going as long as your doing your job and don't shy away from getting dirty or helping with tasks.

My favorite part of the job is the fact that I get to spend several day of the week outside at the park (easily the best looking part of our desert) and being active in my community, even if its just chalking fields for others to play on.
Pros
flexable work schedule, good for students
Cons
restricted hours, work during holidays
great job
Maintenance Aide 1 (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 20, 2014
City of Lancaster back me while I am working for the Air National Guard. Everyone I work was good workers toward me.
good
flexible hours
Recreation Leader I (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAMarch 12, 2014
Conducts and assists in the organization of community recreation programs, park activities and special events. Assists in the planning, implementation and promotion of recreation programs for youth and adults. Supervises the distribution, use and care of recreation supplies, equipment and facilities; promotes the safety of patrons who utilize the parks and its programs; and maintains order at recreation facilities during organized activities.
Demanding, good start for entry level
Performing Arts Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, SCJanuary 22, 2013
Enjoyed my employment but no room for advancement. I have worked as a manager for many years. All managers within the City of Lancaster are micromanaged. This is a body of government.
Pros
state benefits
Cons
no room for advancement
Educational
Public Safety Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CANovember 20, 2012
When I am on the job I always find new ways to look at ideas. I find that working with someone already in the field gives me the advantage I need to learn how to approach problems from different ways.
Not the best but not the worst
Airport Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, TXAugust 29, 2012
Working for the city is ok except there always short on money. so they cut corners every where. Even though i was full time. I was never offered any benefits nor overtime. typical 8 hr work day and since its a goverment body you have holidays off.
Pros
good hours
Cons
no benefits for full timers except if your in the management position
Active and fun to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 24, 2012
Responding to emergencies calls, cleaning streets, street construction and on winter removing snow.
Pros
healthcare
productive challedging rewarding
maint wrk 1 (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAAugust 23, 2012
prepare tools and plan and organize for days work depend on location at parks open clean restrooms get pre schools ready clean park trash and vandlism prepare ballfields at city hall clean offices carpet restroom at activty bldg prepare auditorium ongoing repair of bldg and grounds the job was interesting and always different
Pros
outside work and inside one was there own boss
Cons
extreme weather
Fun and active position
Peace Officer - Under PC 832 (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJuly 23, 2012
A typical day would consist of getting vechile and equipments for the shift including : shift report, keys, radio, and vechile for the shift. Patrol all City of Lancaster facilities and provide safety and security. I was responsible to ensuring that all park facilities were closed and secured. I learned to deal with people and provide customer service. The management staff was and has always been supportive. The hardest thing about the job, is sometimes dealing with rude and angry citizens in the community. The most enjoyable is helping and assisting others..
Pros
people i work with and people in the community.
Cons
dealing with rude and disrespectful people.
A Beneficial Program
Recreation Leader II (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, CAJune 9, 2012
A typical day starts at around 3:00 pm. The Rec Leaders set up snacks for the children who get out at around 3:15 pm. The children eat their snacks and then it is academic time. From around 3:45pm to 4:30pm is homework time, where the children are able to get some or all of their homework done. I am there to help them with their studies. 4:30-5 pm is academic time, where we play academic games, read or write depending on the day. 5-6 pm is recreation time where we either do arts and crafts or play outdoor games. I learned that children, no matter what age, love and need acceptance, inspiration and a well done for their effort. The management was very supportive and helpful and my co-workers were great. There was no real difficult part of the job, however, the most challenging was finding ways to aid the different personalities in their specific needs; which was also the most rewarding and enjoyable part. Finding new and interesting ways to challenge the children academically was very fulfilling.
Pros
my co workers
Cons
no benefits
good place to word
heavy equipment op (Former Employee) –  with in the cityFebruary 28, 2012
Good place to work at, my Supervisors knew what they wanted and encouraged workers to give opinion
Pros
supervisors would listen to the workers
Cons
no work on rain days