CITY OF LAREDO Employee Reviews in United States

good work enviorment
Water Utilities (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMay 18, 2015
Typical day at work for me is to start my day from 8-5 inspected the utility truck and tools ,then repair broken water lines around the city.
you learn how to install water line pipes, pluming main water lines on city streets. friendly environment, team of four, overnight plumbing fixing several broken water lines. Learning new techniques.
Good benefit
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXApril 23, 2015
Great benefit and good communication overall. Some director are underrate. Its a great place to a career and learn for a better future.
benefits
Cons
Management lack knowledge
Great work environment
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMarch 20, 2015
I worked for this governmental entity for 12 years and I had a great experience in working with all departmental directors, city council, city manager and city attorneys.

I enjoyed my work during the time I was at my position however was looking for more of a challenge since I had already fulfilled my goals at this work setting.

Management was good and I learned a lot over the years.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
monday to friday job/work life balance
Safety disissions would most of the time be made by Utilities Safety Specialist.
Safety Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXJanuary 10, 2015
A work day was never the same and always had unpredictable endings.
Safety is never an ending learning experience. Safety is to resolve issues and unsafe conditions to prevent employees from committing the sane mistake twice.
Department director was the most understandable, honest person that would never allow to be lied to.
Had never worked with such fine individuals.
Seen injured employees.
A day with out incidents.
Pros
allowed to do the job the right way.
Cons
been call during the night while sick.
Great Job
Wastewater Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXNovember 24, 2014
Working here wasn't bad at all. They work schedule was very good and I had a lot of freedom to handle my business the way I saw fit. The pay wasn't up to par for the amount and type of work I did. The supervisors was also a very big problem. Sometimes they were understanding and polite and other times (most of the time) they were rude and insulted you indirectly. I would've stayed here longer, but the fact that your coworkers are out to back stab you and that your supervisors see you as dispensable made me leave.
Pros
unsupervised work
Cons
rude coworkers, rude supervisors, bad pay, shift work
Productive and fun with great team work
Clerk III (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXJune 24, 2014
With in the first few months our time was able to collect over 4,000,000,00 dollars from past accounts as well as current.
Pros
team work
Productive and fun place
Parks and Leisure Recreation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMay 28, 2014
I was able to communicate with children, play games, sports, do crafts with them, also helped out with school assignments.
Also had classes in self defense for battered women.
Co-workers were efficient and helpful.
Pros
in touch with the community
Cons
no chance for advancement
Average place to work
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXOctober 19, 2013
Average place to work. I learned a variety of different things having to do Accounts Payable/Receivable, how to send yearly 1099's, payroll, clerical.
Work is enjoyable, educational and second home.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXJune 17, 2013
Safety first an foremost. Prepare for the start of a new day. Every day is a different day, we do actually do the same thing and always learning something new. Management keeps up with changes and informs us about them plus any changes we need to be aware of, so proper procedure be implemented. Team work is how we work here, we step it for each other and get the job done or try to finish it on the deadline that was given. All of sudden changes, where as more work added during the day and we have to decide how to plan to get it done, plus are regular work schedule routine. Knowing that we did our job the best we could and were able to help our consumers in the process of the day.
Pros
safety enviroment, helpful workplace.
Cons
more recognitions.
slow pace work
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMarch 4, 2013
High pace in the morning in the afternoon slow but was very
rewarding. Co-workers and Supervisor great to work with.
Pros
just had on duty to do.
Cons
had to work on saturday a month .
Excellent place to work if you stay far away from politicians and department directors.
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXOctober 10, 2012
As a municipality, you are dedicated to your assigned work.
I learned to performed chemical tests on water and soil samples.
Median management is great, they understand co-workers and help in completing the assigned jobs. Top managemet are politicians y they don't know the job and how to be done.
Co-workers are dedicated to help and supportive to complete the assigned job(s).
The hardesty part of the job is when top management wants something and they don't know anything about the job, which it is the daily situation; and also, when they try to satisfy his/her supervisor and ask for unethical or inmoral actions and threaten you to fire you.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working along with co-workers.
Pros
job security (if away of directors) and continuing education.
Cons
politics play a huge role on carreer advancement.

4.2