City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Team Activities Picnics
Communications Electrician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Management are project focused only and not on the growth of human resource. Promotions not merit based in most classes but based on friendships.
Pros
has over 42 departments which one should be able to promote with the right qualifications.
Cons
Poor management.
Productive workplace
Warehouse /Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2016
It was a fast paced environment with great co-workers. Overall the job entailed doing a lot of computer work with a database.
cool place to work something different everyday
Street Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, CANovember 13, 2015
A typical day would be receiving job assignment in the morning heading out to the work location to complete the task safely and as timely as ossible working here i learned a lot about construction and other skilled trades something new everyday great co workers and management the hardest part of the job in my opinion is working in bad weather at times and hard working environments at job sites the most enjoyable part of the job were its benefits such as tuition reimbursement and its various employee programs
Great job
Assistant Art Director, SNL Program (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 4, 2015
They were amazing to work with, If i could i would still be working with them but again a seasonal position. I love working with at-risk and gangs and this position gave me the opportunity to do so.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
N/A
Work Life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2015
Great work life balance and good benefits including salary as well as very generous retirement plan. Good positions for advancement within your career.
N/a
Locker Attendant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 14, 2015
love working with my team. great staff will continue to work with them . they make work a enjoyable and a fun place to be. but some time it can be a headache
I love my job
FIELD DEPUTY-ADMINSTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  City of Los angelesOctober 8, 2015
I love my job great atmosphere and a fun place to work.;.
Room to grow and great place to work. Very fun place and supportive management,
Productive environment and a real learning experience.
Clerical Trainee (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2015
Since I have been here I have learned how to be a productive member of society. I have learned how to work on the computer. I have learned how to scan, fax, copy. I am learning how to do excel, Microsoft word, greeting the public. I love working with my co-workers because they teach me a lot of things that I did not know before I came here. The environment is very pleasant and I get along with everybody.
Pros
A good environment and a good learning experience.
Cons
I get short breaks because I work part time.
affordable recreation fun
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2015
Fun and diverse place to work. Everyday i see and meet new people and learn how to work with and accomidate everyone's needs. Unfortunately there is no room for growth.
Pros
amazing work environment
Cons
No room for growth
great
MANAGEMENT ANALYST II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 13, 2015
The City of Los Angeles is a very very nice place to work and it is a very very nice work environment. Very Very excellent Benefits and it is a very very nice place to smile and work.
Poll Worker
Registrar-Recorder (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CAAugust 24, 2015
Poll Worker during Elections, Roster Clerk, Street Index Clerk, Ballot Clerk, Open and Close Polling Place, Mandatory Poll-worker Education
Pros
City, County, Federal Employee
Cons
Long Hours
Good job but..
Land Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 22, 2015
I like my job and I like the work that I do but I think management only cares about management and does not listen to the lower level members of the Survey Division. In addition, I see a lot of favoritism for certain people, who seem to get the good positions. And when it comes to promotions, they seem to make up their mind before you even go into the interviews.

As far as the work goes, it's good most of the time but certain survey work (for example, preserving survey monuments) is subject to different procedures every other week, which I don't get. I do like the pay and the benefits.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
favoritism, micro-management
Provide customer service,answer questions,assist world travelers.
Security Officer - Airport Police (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2015
Working for and with the Airport police as a non sworn officer often a challenge.overcame diversity with professionalism and a very strong work ethic.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
culture of work place neaeds to be changed.
Refuse Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2015
The people are friendly and everybody works together and looks out for one another. Some of the routes are a little challenging which but not impossible.
Recreation Activities
liaison between park patrons, other City employees (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2015
Worked with kids for after school. Summer prepare for summer day camp, cordinate summer activities and field trip for Day Campers.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Working with kids
An interesting experience
Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2015
For years that I’ve been working for the City of Los Angeles, there are ups and down working for the department that you are working for. There are other days that we can’t have our break time due to the paperwork that we have to deal with. There are times that we are caught which you think you are but are not. I have learned a lot of things in the Workers’ Compensation Division that I’ve been for 16 years. I became the backup person for the Workers’ Compensation Claims Assistant for two years and learned many things while I’m with the team. Co-workers are all interesting. The personality of each person is very different and some co-worker’s personality is difficult. You have to find a way how to deal with them. Regarding the management, there are times that the management is not fair to the whole division. There are times that they are very open on the things that are going on in the division but there are times that they really cannot supply the information to everyone what is really going on with the department and really hurts the division itself. But to think about, management is trying their best to protect the interest of the division and/or the department. The hardest part of the job is the work that is given to us. Mostly from my team, we are given different duties and some can’t handle the pressure of the deadline, so we circulate the duties to one another. That helped one clerk typist from their burden. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have a job security, good benefits, and good retirement.
Pros
Lunch, Member of a Union
Governmental Entity
SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA XJune 23, 2015
I have been with the City of Los Angeles for 25 years, so I am familiar with all the rules, policies and regulations. Some times the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing; however, that can be expected. There are about 50 or more departments, here. The employees of the City of Los Angeles work for the people of Los Angeles; after all, they pay us! I have learned a great deal about time management; how to be organized; patience; how caring. others.
Pros
Good benefits, stability
Cons
Politics!
Always something to work on
Administrative Assistant Part Time (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 13, 2015
There is always something to do, never a dull moment when working with your team. Team work is key to this job. People skills and the ability to communicate is essential.
Working for City of Los Angeles
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAMay 10, 2015
I enjoyed my time with the City. I'm a service-oriented individual and the appointment to the satellite was a very positive experience for me. I learned a great deal about people and about myself and was able to use my interpersonal skills to make the public's experience with our office a positive one most of the time. I retired because I grew weary of the commute.
Pros
Interaction with the inspectors and the public being able to make their experience more positive.
Cons
Management in any government situation will always be politically motivated, this is the point at which verstility and adaptability become helpful.
The opportunity to work in the public sector
Board of Directors (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2015
I was able to work with youths from all areas of the city to mentor them and help them prepare for college. I produced the Youth Ambassadors documentary that was used to raise funds and get support for the program.
Pros
working with youth
Cons
navigating the bureaucracy which is natural for a government body

4.4