City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews in United States

cool place to work something different everyday
Street Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, CANovember 13, 2015
A typical day would be receiving job assignment in the morning heading out to the work location to complete the task safely and as timely as ossible working here i learned a lot about construction and other skilled trades something new everyday great co workers and management the hardest part of the job in my opinion is working in bad weather at times and hard working environments at job sites the most enjoyable part of the job were its benefits such as tuition reimbursement and its various employee programs
Working here is chill
Civil Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 25, 2016
Job is very relaxed, since it is a government job and not for profit private sector they don't work you like a horse. The work pace is chill and retirement benefits are amazing.
Good job but..
Land Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 22, 2015
I like my job and I like the work that I do but I think management only cares about management and does not listen to the lower level members of the Survey Division. In addition, I see a lot of favoritism for certain people, who seem to get the good positions. And when it comes to promotions, they seem to make up their mind before you even go into the interviews.

As far as the work goes, it's good most of the time but certain survey work (for example, preserving survey monuments) is subject to different procedures every other week, which I don't get. I do like the pay and the benefits.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
favoritism, micro-management
Work Life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 29, 2015
Great work life balance and good benefits including salary as well as very generous retirement plan. Good positions for advancement within your career.
Pollworker
Registrar-Recorder (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CAMarch 16, 2016
I work for the County of Los Angeles as a Poll-worker. During City State and Federal Elections. I have served as a Street Index Clerk lining out voters who are legally registered to vote, I served as a Roster Clerk having registered voters sign their name on the official election roster. I served as a Ballot Clerk assisting voters who were legally registered to receive their official election ballot. I assisted the Poll Supervisor collect all Provisional and Mail in Ballots returned to the polling place where I worked. I assisted in opening and closing the polling place.
Pros
Only worked during elections.
Cons
Not a regular or Part Time Career.
Interesting work, good co-workers
Senior Adminstrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work does not happen often in my office, we have a public counter and different situations pop up every single day. I have learned to roll with the punches but go by the book. Management is ok, they're after their bottom line and numbers and looking good to the public, we all answer to someone but, they are not very flexible when it comes to work/life balance this may be because every office in the City of Los Angeles is understaffed and overworked. My co-workers are personable and hard workers, they do what they can with the resources they are given. The hardest part is balance, because the office is understaffed it is hard to, as a supervisor, delegate more work to an already overworked staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I meet at the public counter and working with my co-workers.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, job security
Cons
Overwhelming workloads, non-flexible management.
Governmental Entity
SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA XJune 23, 2015
I have been with the City of Los Angeles for 25 years, so I am familiar with all the rules, policies and regulations. Some times the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing; however, that can be expected. There are about 50 or more departments, here. The employees of the City of Los Angeles work for the people of Los Angeles; after all, they pay us! I have learned a great deal about time management; how to be organized; patience; how caring. others.
Pros
Good benefits, stability
Cons
Politics!
Team Activities Picnics
Communications Electrician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Management are project focused only and not on the growth of human resource. Promotions not merit based in most classes but based on friendships.
Pros
has over 42 departments which one should be able to promote with the right qualifications.
Cons
Poor management.
great
MANAGEMENT ANALYST II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 13, 2015
The City of Los Angeles is a very very nice place to work and it is a very very nice work environment. Very Very excellent Benefits and it is a very very nice place to smile and work.
Provide customer service,answer questions,assist world travelers.
Security Officer - Airport Police (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2015
Working for and with the Airport police as a non sworn officer often a challenge.overcame diversity with professionalism and a very strong work ethic.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
culture of work place neaeds to be changed.
An interesting experience
Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2015
For years that I’ve been working for the City of Los Angeles, there are ups and down working for the department that you are working for. There are other days that we can’t have our break time due to the paperwork that we have to deal with. There are times that we are caught which you think you are but are not. I have learned a lot of things in the Workers’ Compensation Division that I’ve been for 16 years. I became the backup person for the Workers’ Compensation Claims Assistant for two years and learned many things while I’m with the team. Co-workers are all interesting. The personality of each person is very different and some co-worker’s personality is difficult. You have to find a way how to deal with them. Regarding the management, there are times that the management is not fair to the whole division. There are times that they are very open on the things that are going on in the division but there are times that they really cannot supply the information to everyone what is really going on with the department and really hurts the division itself. But to think about, management is trying their best to protect the interest of the division and/or the department. The hardest part of the job is the work that is given to us. Mostly from my team, we are given different duties and some can’t handle the pressure of the deadline, so we circulate the duties to one another. That helped one clerk typist from their burden. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have a job security, good benefits, and good retirement.
Pros
Lunch, Member of a Union
Going Above and beyond for your job.
Special Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAApril 21, 2016
When you do extra things the job does not require employers notice people start to talk about you put in good reviews for you telling other had good you do your job and you take the extra mile.
Pros
promotions, awards, and bragging rights!
Cons
other co workers don't do things you do so people start to expect more out of them!
It is a wonderful experience to work for the City of Los Angeles
Park Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 14, 2015
As with any career, working for the City of Los Angeles offers the individual an incredible opportunity to be the best you can be. It is up to the individual to pursue the opportunities to advance. With proper personal motivation, anyone can achieve their dreams. The city offers benefits corporations can't. The retirement system is the best I've ever seen.
Pros
great family-like environment to work
Cons
juggling between union and management needs
Good job...tends to stiffle free thinking
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2016
My responsibility was to direct and oversee construction processes and personal---purchase tools and materials----and work with engineers and others to take a job to completion.
Pros
good working conditions and salary
Cons
A great place to work for college students
Recreational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2016
Typically you are taking care of elementary school children. This includes helping with homework and leading enrichment classes such as dance, theatre, chess, and music.
Worked as Surveyor
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  San Pedro, CAMay 26, 2016
I worked as a surveyor for the City of LA working out of San Pedro, west LA, Westminister. It was an enjoyable working experience because of the different jobs involved & different locations
Pros
Different areas
a family atmosphere
Traffic Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 27, 2016
I've worked here for over 25 years and have formed life long relationships that has turned into - well family. A mist any turmoil we stick together during the good and the bad.
Pros
pay
Cons
pay
Average Government Job
Professional Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2016
Job Work/Life Balance - Excellent
Compensation/Benefits - Excellent
Job Security/Advancement - Excellent
Management - Below average
Job Culture - Definition of government employees waiting for their pensions
Great place to work and learn
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Exposition Park, CAMay 9, 2016
Working for the City of Los Angeles I gained experience in planning events, summer camp, after school club and special events.
Pros
Learning about the community
Cons
N/A
productive busy enviroment
Sr.clerk v.b.m (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 11, 2016
on the job training, management makes sure all employees understand job tasks,information to take with you to better understand upcoming tasks

4.4