City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Fast paced office environment. Requires the ability to multi-task.
Principal Clerk Police Levels I- III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2014
A typical day at work would start with resetting security passwords for those returning from vacation or staff that would simply forget their login passwords. I would check all telephone messages and respond to them. Check supplies to ensure all office supplies were in stock and not running low. I would check the incoming work tray to ensure priority reports were being processed in a timely manner. If there was no staff available I would process the priority reports. Afterwards I would check sign-in sheets and enter the previous day attendance records. When needed I would assist in answering incoming telephonic requests for help and information on how to obtain copies of reports. I was liaison to outside law enforcement entities as well as liaison to supply division and sister stations. I spent my entire career attending workshops on supervision, management, leadership, and effective communication skills offered through the Cities resource programs and classes.
Pros
developed excellent rapport with co-workers and supervisors. learned to be a team player.
Cons
continuous hiring freezes, extremely difficult to replace staff, and large work loads with reduced staff.
Fast paced work environment; flexibility important.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2014
The City of Los Angeles - Bureau of Sanitation. I would interface with the public by phone taking requests to start service; to receive containers; to pickup and replace broken containers; to investigate containers overfilled; or containers missed on pickup, besides handling walk-in's for container pickup. I interfaced with drivers by dispatch to check locations, truck breakdowns, injuries, and accidents; printed out and distributed requests for drivers. Other requests taken are special collections for bulky item pick up of furniture, appliances; metal; wood, and yard trimmings. I scheduled hearings for truck drivers Accidents and Injuries for disciplinary actions. I filled out forms and kept records of both Accidents and Injuries of drivers, and maintained reports on both. I did data entry of 6541 dump slips at the end of each day on the SCRMIS system. After completing all entries, a print out needed to be done and each was checked for balance, corrections made and a new printout made, and distributed for each supervisor and one set for the District Manager.
Pros
enjoyed talking to people on the phone and enjoyed people i worked with.
Cons
it took 3 hours travel time to get (to and fro). job too far from home.
An interesting experience
Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2015
For years that I’ve been working for the City of Los Angeles, there are ups and down working for the department that you are working for. There are other days that we can’t have our break time due to the paperwork that we have to deal with. There are times that we are caught which you think you are but are not. I have learned a lot of things in the Workers’ Compensation Division that I’ve been for 16 years. I became the backup person for the Workers’ Compensation Claims Assistant for two years and learned many things while I’m with the team. Co-workers are all interesting. The personality of each person is very different and some co-worker’s personality is difficult. You have to find a way how to deal with them. Regarding the management, there are times that the management is not fair to the whole division. There are times that they are very open on the things that are going on in the division but there are times that they really cannot supply the information to everyone what is really going on with the department and really hurts the division itself. But to think about, management is trying their best to protect the interest of the division and/or the department. The hardest part of the job is the work that is given to us. Mostly from my team, we are given different duties and some can’t handle the pressure of the deadline, so we circulate the duties to one another. That helped one clerk typist from their burden. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have a job security, good benefits, and good retirement.
Pros
Lunch, Member of a Union
Hands on experience learning about irrigation
Special Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles CaliforniaJanuary 7, 2014
We started at 4:00 in the morning every day Monday through Friday. It was tiring because of all the work we had to do from replacing the PVC valves and digging trenches, changing screws, laying sod and the like. The management was awesome and they knew what they were doing because they had years of experience in that line of work. My co-workers were great and fun to work with. No complaints there. The hardest part of the job was getting my engine running that early in the morning, but after I did that, it was smooth sailing. The most enjoyable part of the job was going to all the different parks around the county of Los Angeles and being able to help the people experience a well taken care of park.
Pros
good pay and hands on learning
Cons
extremely early job hours and working in extreme conditions for long periods of time.
One big family!!!
Animal License Cancasser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2012
A typical as a Canvasser was good. I get to work before 7:00am, we

map out the areawe going to canvass, I(we)walk house to house, block by block informing pets owners about animal lisence or tags, Share information on low cost spay/neuter, collect fee license, just enjoy meeting new people
I've learned how to communicate with all difference kind of peoples
I really love working unsupervised, my coworker are the best, we all were one big happy family, the hardest about the work the weather, it was really hot or raining, i really can't say the most enjoyable part of the because I enjoyed it all
Pros
we went to lunch anywhere!!!!!
Cons
be laid off and city had no other place for us to go.
Productive and fun work environment to work
SPA II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 26, 2014
As an Assistance Manager people expect from you a lot. Your basically in charge of every detail at work. I've learned a lot out of this job. How to run a store from counting drawers, inventory, run shifts and process all information into the computer. I learned how to work with my co-workers, how to grid costumers., learned that costumers are always right and give what they asked for. The hardest part of the job is try to have everybody happy and pleased with what they asked you for. Cover areas that you don't have replacement and give 100% on everything. And the most enjoyable part is getting to know a lot of people and all the knowledge you gain from the job you're doing.
Pros
have free lunches, met new people and gain knowledge
Cons
lunch whenerver possible, variable schedule and deal with angry costumers.
great place to work
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2014
I've been working for the city for 14 years as a crossing guard although I have enjoyed this job over the years the hours been cut would really like to carry on with the city but in a more full time basis.... the city has been a great place to work for I had the opportunity to work alongside some great people, had great experience working with the public.... the most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the children and parents I enjoy the friendly atmosphere....everyone knows who I am and I like that about this job. then a typical day consists of watching the traffic surveying it and when it is safe to do so escort my children safely across the street.... I've learned a lot on this job and is always great to learn something new
Pros
great people skills type job...
Cons
the hours have become less..
Fast paced and deadline driven position requiring wide knowledge of construction.
Contract Administration Inspector (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2013
I worked as a Contract Administration Inspector which entailed an extremely comprehensive knowledge of construction practices, techniques, local and state codes, as well as an ethical, authoritative quality. We were in charge of public works improvements such as paving, curb and gutter, underground pipeline placement, and large-scale municipal improvements, such as civil infrastructure like Police and Fire stations.
We were the on-site eyes and mediator between the contractors and the City of Los Angeles. It was a great experience that forced me to constantly learn and improve and update my knowledge.
Pros
great career and changing environment.
Cons
very heavy responsibility, personal liability.
Great environment
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2014
For me, working for the Department of Water and Power was a wonderful, albeit trying at times, experience. Could not be a better bunch of people to work with or for. Upper management was questionable at best with organizational decisions, but the environment itself worked very well for me.

Typical day was hectic as there were always numerous incoming telephone calls, filing to be done, correspondence to be prepared, information to be located. This made the day go by very quickly most of the time.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was understanding and dealing with upper management's decisions and actions taken.
Pros
co-workers, easy access to work location, compensation and benefits
Cons
understaffing, questionable upper management actions/decisions
Productive and fun workplace
Community Administrative Support Worker (CASW11) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2012
General administrative and support functions; Co-managed receptions desk Answering multi-line and responding to inquiries regarding the WIB and providing information or directing callers to appropriate staff; Maintaining electronic records; Creating and maintaining office files; Receiving, sorting, and distributing inter-office and U.S. mail; Preparation of spreadsheets; Budget preparation and cost analysis; Contract preparation; Reviewing and processing of contractor invoices; Researching media coverage of workforce development issues; Tracking workforce development legislation; Participated in community outreach projects, assist with homework K-12 and Ensuring compliance of non-profit 501(c)(3) with all Federal and State Regulatory agencies
Ok place to work
Wastewater operator 11 (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 4, 2013
I do alot of troubleshooting which is main function. I overlook 5 operators and their processes. Help them and write Work requests and direct trades on equipment needing repair or Lubing or other work. At Hyperion we have constant construction going on. I work with contractors and oversee their work. I make sure all workers I work with are working safe and enforce and perform many safety procedures. I get along with my co-workers well. Most enjoyable part of job is the many friends made and seeing problems solved. I get along with my co-workers operators, trade people and managers really well.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
job now boring
Good job but..
Land Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 22, 2015
I like my job and I like the work that I do but I think management only cares about management and does not listen to the lower level members of the Survey Division. In addition, I see a lot of favoritism for certain people, who seem to get the good positions. And when it comes to promotions, they seem to make up their mind before you even go into the interviews.

As far as the work goes, it's good most of the time but certain survey work (for example, preserving survey monuments) is subject to different procedures every other week, which I don't get. I do like the pay and the benefits.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
favoritism, micro-management
Productive and potential experience
Admissions Park Attendant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2014
Very busy work place when it comes to the time of the season where it picked up. Cultural visitors and interactive responsibilities. Interesting people to work with from different places and varies ages. the hardest part of the job was not being able to multiply myself to help the visitors more. The most enjoyable part of the job was putting smiles on peoples faces. Learning a few things each day from either the visitors or coworkers.
Pros
free access to the zoo
Cons
working conditions, short breaks, no access to clean, cold water on hot days, no break room.
I enjoyed my time at City of Los Angeles, great job, great people, great ;management. However, this was a 6 month temp. assignment, I knew it would
City Clerk (Temp. position) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 4, 2013
Arrive to work, we did something different daily, would receive our job assignment, this job is about flexibility, the management was excellent, very easy to get along with. My co-workers were awesome people, felt like a real team. Hardest part of the job would have to be the temperature of the building, cold outside, cold inside, hot outside, hot inside. I love this job, if I had my choice I would have loved to stay permanently
Pros
lots of overtime.
Cons
not full time permanant position
Working for City of Los Angeles
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAMay 10, 2015
I enjoyed my time with the City. I'm a service-oriented individual and the appointment to the satellite was a very positive experience for me. I learned a great deal about people and about myself and was able to use my interpersonal skills to make the public's experience with our office a positive one most of the time. I retired because I grew weary of the commute.
Pros
Interaction with the inspectors and the public being able to make their experience more positive.
Cons
Management in any government situation will always be politically motivated, this is the point at which verstility and adaptability become helpful.
Productive and fun workplace.
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Granada Hills, CAJuly 6, 2014
A typical day consists of varying jobs. I work both in the office and out on the grounds with our Summer Camp. I collect and process payments - manage spreadsheets and go over data to know when and how many people are in the camp at all times. Supervise counselors and staff. Hardest part of this job would be dealing with all ages from small children ages 3 and up and adults and seniors too. I enjoy the challenges of this job and all the varying aspects.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
1040 hours per year
Lapd
Los Angeles Police Department, Police Officer II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2014
Everyday was a new experience. I learned alot as a new police officer. I learned so many things from working on the streets of Los Angeles. I am grateful for all the lessons I learned. I loved my co-worked and was an integral part of a wonderful organization. LAPD will forever be a valuable part of who I am. My work ethic and morale character are engrained by my training and experience. The hardest part of being a police officer is the criminal element in which you deal with however it is the best job in the world.
Pros
variety in daily duties
Workplace with a a view and friendly atmosphere
Park Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Every day I travel up the mountain I can see a beautiful view of my wonderful city.

I have learned how to cater to people from all around the world to create a first class experience at Griffith Observatory.

Griffith Observatory has a 5 star rating on most visitor websites because of the amazing programing and floor staff.

I enjoy interacting with people from all over the world and making their visit a pleasant and unforgettable one.
Pros
excellent view, productive staff, friendly visitors
Cons
rainy days cause mud slides
City Craft Asst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2013
- Conveyance of all new City Facility’s: Including but not limited to obtaining all necessary documentation while working in unison with various city departments in ensuring that all new City Facilities have been constructed within all City Building & Safety Rules and Regulations

- LAFD Regulation 4: Assisted with providing proper Fire Life Safety maintenance for all occupied City Facilities; Including but not limited to annual LAFD Regulation 4 inspections to determine the status of any/all Fire Life Safety Systems

- Assisting with the maintenance of City wide used software; Preparing material/work requisitions, time and equipment inventory, tracking and identifying building systems, and work progress reports
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Productive place to work with a great environment to learn
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 1, 2012
Overall I enjoy my day of work. I enjoy the projects that I work on as well as working with my co-workers. I get the chance to go out in the field and learn the practical knowledge that I need to learn as well as working from the office to work on the administrative detail. The challenging aspect about the job are interacting with different personalities and different opinions but from that challenge, it has also been the most enjoyable because it has allowed me to learn an abundance of tremendous information
Pros
working and interacting with my co-workers
Cons
the cafeteria and career opportunity for advancement is stalemate

4.4