City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews in United States

Fun group of safety professionals
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2016
My time with the LADOT was short, and I have my regrets for leaving, but I hope to one day work with them again. It gives me great satisfaction working with our community and taking the oath to provide safe passage for our children and elders. I was with the company for 1 month and my pay was increased which made for a great reason to encourage others to try and give your free time to the LADOT.
Interesting work, good co-workers
Senior Adminstrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work does not happen often in my office, we have a public counter and different situations pop up every single day. I have learned to roll with the punches but go by the book. Management is ok, they're after their bottom line and numbers and looking good to the public, we all answer to someone but, they are not very flexible when it comes to work/life balance this may be because every office in the City of Los Angeles is understaffed and overworked. My co-workers are personable and hard workers, they do what they can with the resources they are given. The hardest part is balance, because the office is understaffed it is hard to, as a supervisor, delegate more work to an already overworked staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I meet at the public counter and working with my co-workers.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, job security
Cons
Overwhelming workloads, non-flexible management.
Going Above and beyond for your job.
Special Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Venice, CAApril 21, 2016
When you do extra things the job does not require employers notice people start to talk about you put in good reviews for you telling other had good you do your job and you take the extra mile.
Pros
promotions, awards, and bragging rights!
Cons
other co workers don't do things you do so people start to expect more out of them!
Pollworker
Registrar-Recorder (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CAMarch 16, 2016
I work for the County of Los Angeles as a Poll-worker. During City State and Federal Elections. I have served as a Street Index Clerk lining out voters who are legally registered to vote, I served as a Roster Clerk having registered voters sign their name on the official election roster. I served as a Ballot Clerk assisting voters who were legally registered to receive their official election ballot. I assisted the Poll Supervisor collect all Provisional and Mail in Ballots returned to the polling place where I worked. I assisted in opening and closing the polling place.
Pros
Only worked during elections.
Cons
Not a regular or Part Time Career.
Good job...tends to stiffle free thinking
Construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2016
My responsibility was to direct and oversee construction processes and personal---purchase tools and materials----and work with engineers and others to take a job to completion.
Pros
good working conditions and salary
Cons
A great place to work for college students
Recreational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2016
Typically you are taking care of elementary school children. This includes helping with homework and leading enrichment classes such as dance, theatre, chess, and music.
Worked as Surveyor
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  San Pedro, CAMay 26, 2016
I worked as a surveyor for the City of LA working out of San Pedro, west LA, Westminister. It was an enjoyable working experience because of the different jobs involved & different locations
Pros
Different areas
Average Government Job
Management - Below average
Job Culture - Definition of government employees waiting for their pensions
a family atmosphere
Traffic Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 27, 2016
I've worked here for over 25 years and have formed life long relationships that has turned into - well family. A mist any turmoil we stick together during the good and the bad.
Pros
pay
Cons
pay
Team Activities Picnics
Communications Electrician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2016
Management are project focused only and not on the growth of human resource. Promotions not merit based in most classes but based on friendships.
Pros
has over 42 departments which one should be able to promote with the right qualifications.
Cons
Poor management.
Great place to work and learn
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Exposition Park, CAMay 9, 2016
Working for the City of Los Angeles I gained experience in planning events, summer camp, after school club and special events.
Pros
Learning about the community
Cons
N/A
Its Cool
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 14, 2016
They train you for whatever job your going to do with no problem. They are one of the best company's you can work for. I love the staff and everything in between
productive busy enviroment
Sr.clerk v.b.m (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 11, 2016
on the job training, management makes sure all employees understand job tasks,information to take with you to better understand upcoming tasks
cool place to work something different everyday
Street Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, CANovember 13, 2015
A typical day would be receiving job assignment in the morning heading out to the work location to complete the task safely and as timely as ossible working here i learned a lot about construction and other skilled trades something new everyday great co workers and management the hardest part of the job in my opinion is working in bad weather at times and hard working environments at job sites the most enjoyable part of the job were its benefits such as tuition reimbursement and its various employee programs
My Best Job Ever!
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cienega Sports ComplexAugust 20, 2016
There was never a typical day at work. You always had your specific duties but you did whatever needed to be done. Answering phones, transfer calls, take messages, collect payments; you name it, we did it. I learned how to multitask efficiently. This was my real first job and it made me the worker that I am today. Management was amazing. They understood that we wanted to make money, so they made sure that we understood we had to work for it. Management was not only a office of managers, they worked along side of us and guided us throughout the years. There was such a family-like bond between all of us that coming to work was second nature, it wasn't "work". All of my co-workers got along easily and were very determined and goal-driven people, so it made working so much easier and enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is the end of the summer. That's when the Summer Camp program ends and people begin to disperse. Some of the co-workers stay, some go back to school or whatever the case may be. The most enjoyable part of the job is our Summer Camp Program. Spending Monday through Friday from early in the morning to almost 6 in the evening with such amazing people was truly what made it all worth it.
Working here is chill
Civil Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 25, 2016
Job is very relaxed, since it is a government job and not for profit private sector they don't work you like a horse. The work pace is chill and retirement benefits are amazing.
Productive environment and a real learning experience.
Clerical Trainee (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 23, 2015
Since I have been here I have learned how to be a productive member of society. I have learned how to work on the computer. I have learned how to scan, fax, copy. I am learning how to do excel, Microsoft word, greeting the public. I love working with my co-workers because they teach me a lot of things that I did not know before I came here. The environment is very pleasant and I get along with everybody.
Pros
A good environment and a good learning experience.
Cons
I get short breaks because I work part time.
Productive workplace
Warehouse /Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 18, 2016
It was a fast paced environment with great co-workers. Overall the job entailed doing a lot of computer work with a database.
Good job but..
Land Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 22, 2015
I like my job and I like the work that I do but I think management only cares about management and does not listen to the lower level members of the Survey Division. In addition, I see a lot of favoritism for certain people, who seem to get the good positions. And when it comes to promotions, they seem to make up their mind before you even go into the interviews.

As far as the work goes, it's good most of the time but certain survey work (for example, preserving survey monuments) is subject to different procedures every other week, which I don't get. I do like the pay and the benefits.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
favoritism, micro-management
Great job
Assistant Art Director, SNL Program (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 4, 2015
They were amazing to work with, If i could i would still be working with them but again a seasonal position. I love working with at-risk and gangs and this position gave me the opportunity to do so.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
N/A

4.4