City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Poll Worker
Registrar-Recorder (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CAAugust 24, 2015
Poll Worker during Elections, Roster Clerk, Street Index Clerk, Ballot Clerk, Open and Close Polling Place, Mandatory Poll-worker Education
Pros
City, County, Federal Employee
Cons
Long Hours
Good job but..
Land Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 22, 2015
I like my job and I like the work that I do but I think management only cares about management and does not listen to the lower level members of the Survey Division. In addition, I see a lot of favoritism for certain people, who seem to get the good positions. And when it comes to promotions, they seem to make up their mind before you even go into the interviews.

As far as the work goes, it's good most of the time but certain survey work (for example, preserving survey monuments) is subject to different procedures every other week, which I don't get. I do like the pay and the benefits.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
favoritism, micro-management
Provide customer service,answer questions,assist world travelers.
Security Officer - Airport Police (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2015
Working for and with the Airport police as a non sworn officer often a challenge.overcame diversity with professionalism and a very strong work ethic.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
culture of work place neaeds to be changed.
Refuse Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 24, 2015
The people are friendly and everybody works together and looks out for one another. Some of the routes are a little challenging which but not impossible.
Recreation Activities
liaison between park patrons, other City employees (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2015
Worked with kids for after school. Summer prepare for summer day camp, cordinate summer activities and field trip for Day Campers.
Pros
Working with kids
Cons
Working with kids
An interesting experience
Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 20, 2015
For years that I’ve been working for the City of Los Angeles, there are ups and down working for the department that you are working for. There are other days that we can’t have our break time due to the paperwork that we have to deal with. There are times that we are caught which you think you are but are not. I have learned a lot of things in the Workers’ Compensation Division that I’ve been for 16 years. I became the backup person for the Workers’ Compensation Claims Assistant for two years and learned many things while I’m with the team. Co-workers are all interesting. The personality of each person is very different and some co-worker’s personality is difficult. You have to find a way how to deal with them. Regarding the management, there are times that the management is not fair to the whole division. There are times that they are very open on the things that are going on in the division but there are times that they really cannot supply the information to everyone what is really going on with the department and really hurts the division itself. But to think about, management is trying their best to protect the interest of the division and/or the department. The hardest part of the job is the work that is given to us. Mostly from my team, we are given different duties and some can’t handle the pressure of the deadline, so we circulate the duties to one another. That helped one clerk typist from their burden. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have a job security, good benefits, and good retirement.
Pros
Lunch, Member of a Union
Governmental Entity
SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA XJune 23, 2015
I have been with the City of Los Angeles for 25 years, so I am familiar with all the rules, policies and regulations. Some times the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing; however, that can be expected. There are about 50 or more departments, here. The employees of the City of Los Angeles work for the people of Los Angeles; after all, they pay us! I have learned a great deal about time management; how to be organized; patience; how caring. others.
Pros
Good benefits, stability
Cons
Politics!
Always something to work on
Administrative Assistant Part Time (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 13, 2015
There is always something to do, never a dull moment when working with your team. Team work is key to this job. People skills and the ability to communicate is essential.
Working for City of Los Angeles
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  West Los Angeles, CAMay 10, 2015
I enjoyed my time with the City. I'm a service-oriented individual and the appointment to the satellite was a very positive experience for me. I learned a great deal about people and about myself and was able to use my interpersonal skills to make the public's experience with our office a positive one most of the time. I retired because I grew weary of the commute.
Pros
Interaction with the inspectors and the public being able to make their experience more positive.
Cons
Management in any government situation will always be politically motivated, this is the point at which verstility and adaptability become helpful.
The opportunity to work in the public sector
Board of Directors (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2015
I was able to work with youths from all areas of the city to mentor them and help them prepare for college. I produced the Youth Ambassadors documentary that was used to raise funds and get support for the program.
Pros
working with youth
Cons
navigating the bureaucracy which is natural for a government body
fun place to travel
driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 16, 2015
cool company, they have a christmas party every year, people can sometimes help you if you get behind. the trucks work most of the time, great company to get started in customer service, it helps you learn to read people. fun rewarding work.
Fun Place
Recreational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 11, 2015
I enjoy working here because I am able to create and help the youth in the community. Best part of the job is seeing all the children laughing.
Fun all the time
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 6, 2015
I love this job! I have so much fun. I am changing lives everyday! Parks make life better. I love my job! This company is hard to get hired for and I was lucky to get a job here.
Hard Work but Great Community Reward
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 6, 2015
Very challenging yet rewarding job.
Working with at-risk youth is tough.
Successful days make the job worth it!
Odd hours but evidence-based.
Job Review
City of Los Angeles (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 24, 2015
Worked processing the City of Los Angeles parking Meter Revenue. I learned math & writing skills & how to supervise employees. Co workers were happy when kept working & busy. Hardest part of my job was dumping heavy canisters & most enjoyable was knowing that I had contributed my skills as best I could.
It is a wonderful experience to work for the City of Los Angeles
Park Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 14, 2015
As with any career, working for the City of Los Angeles offers the individual an incredible opportunity to be the best you can be. It is up to the individual to pursue the opportunities to advance. With proper personal motivation, anyone can achieve their dreams. The city offers benefits corporations can't. The retirement system is the best I've ever seen.
Pros
great family-like environment to work
Cons
juggling between union and management needs
Start of something New
Systems Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 21, 2015
At typical work day starts with overall systems check on the server and peripherals. What I leaned career on ECM solution here, has created a passion for content management. Management is OK, coworkers are great. Hardest part, getting laid off. Most enjoyable riding the train to work.
Pros
ecm education
Cons
unfinihsed ecm project due to bureacracy
I love my job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesJanuary 19, 2015
I love working for the City of Los Angeles, I have been working part time as a pool clerk for 9 years now, I enjoy the people I work with and the hours are very flexible.
fun workplace
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2015
a typical day at work was fun day management was great my coworkers and supervisors were a helpful hand very reliable. work for the city was one of my favorite jobs to be apart of
Up Beat work Place
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2015
On a daily I can look up well over 100 accounts per day to make sure everything is up to date,it keeps me busy and doing something at all times. The way everything is done now with different systems it's really amazing on how every thing is stored now.
Pros
i learn new things on different case just about every day
Cons
sometimes you have to make breaks shorter to get an dead line done

4.4