City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Interesting work, good co-workers
Senior Adminstrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2016
A typical day at work does not happen often in my office, we have a public counter and different situations pop up every single day. I have learned to roll with the punches but go by the book. Management is ok, they're after their bottom line and numbers and looking good to the public, we all answer to someone but, they are not very flexible when it comes to work/life balance this may be because every office in the City of Los Angeles is understaffed and overworked. My co-workers are personable and hard workers, they do what they can with the resources they are given. The hardest part is balance, because the office is understaffed it is hard to, as a supervisor, delegate more work to an already overworked staff. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I meet at the public counter and working with my co-workers.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, job security
Cons
Overwhelming workloads, non-flexible management.
Good Benefits
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2016
Benefits are good, was better prior to the recession. City just out of a hiring freeze so hopefully more jobs and room for advancement opportunities are created and you don't spend nearly 15 years waiting for someone to die or retire in order to promote or transfer.
Great work environment
Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working for the city of Los Angeles because everything I worked for along with everything that was offered was highly beneficial to me and my family
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Difficult advancement
Fun place to work
Assistant Park Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Griffith Park, CAOctober 13, 2016
Working for the city is great! A typical day at work involves meetings and working with the public. It is important to represent the city with a smile and provide the best customer service.

I have learned how to communicate to the public very well.

Hardest part of the job is leaving because there are many benefits!

Most enjoyable part of the of job is unless opportunities the city can bring
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Average Government Job
Professional Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 11, 2016
Job Work/Life Balance - Excellent
Compensation/Benefits - Excellent
Job Security/Advancement - Excellent
Management - Below average
Job Culture - Definition of government employees waiting for their pensions
My Best Job Ever!
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cienega Sports ComplexAugust 20, 2016
There was never a typical day at work. You always had your specific duties but you did whatever needed to be done. Answering phones, transfer calls, take messages, collect payments; you name it, we did it. I learned how to multitask efficiently. This was my real first job and it made me the worker that I am today. Management was amazing. They understood that we wanted to make money, so they made sure that we understood we had to work for it. Management was not only a office of managers, they worked along side of us and guided us throughout the years. There was such a family-like bond between all of us that coming to work was second nature, it wasn't "work". All of my co-workers got along easily and were very determined and goal-driven people, so it made working so much easier and enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is the end of the summer. That's when the Summer Camp program ends and people begin to disperse. Some of the co-workers stay, some go back to school or whatever the case may be. The most enjoyable part of the job is our Summer Camp Program. Spending Monday through Friday from early in the morning to almost 6 in the evening with such amazing people was truly what made it all worth it.
Very Productive and friendly place
TAX RENEWAL ASSISTANT (TRA) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 16, 2016
Hello,

A typical day at work, I learned to process business applications,
time management.
My co-workers are very informative and the hardest part of my job,
arriving to work without delay while using public transportation.
The most enjoyable part of the job is completing my work.
Pros
Pleasent environment
Cons
I sit all day.
Fun place to work for the summer
Pool Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2016
Extremely competitive to become a lifeguard, must be a very good swimmer and the job comes with excellent pay and hours. Out door and indoor facilities that are possible to be assigned at .
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Hot days
Great diverse company to work for
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 20, 2016
Great company to work for great benefits. Company is very outgoing with employees needs. Everyone is nice and helps you out. Managers are very nice and understanding.
Grueling hours with low compensation
Senior Field Deputy (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesNovember 13, 2016
This review is for that of an elected staffer- the hours are often in excess of 50 hours per week, with no overtime compensation.

This is not ideal for anyone who is married and has a family.
Large Local Government - Easy to get lost
Election Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2016
The City of Los Angeles is a large and very impersonal entity. I wish you well in your journey there. Every department has a different culture and different rules. I worked in a temporary position and the full time staff treated us as if we were lepers.
Fast paced but alot of friendly people
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 20, 2016
It is a very good seasonal job with GREAT city perks. One you get hied with the City, you are able to apply for other positions while you are there and they will give you time off to go to the various testing sites.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Seasonal
City of Los Angeles; Clerical position
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2016
It was great working with the City of Los Angeles. The staff was very great to work with and I love the downtown Los Angeles atmosphere. I learned so much and I had a awesome opportunity to deliver confidential documents whiling enjoying the walks I took several blocks away.
Pros
I loved the atmosphere and everything I learned
Cons
It could never become a permanent positon
City Of LA Golf
Park Attendant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, CAJanuary 13, 2017
The Golf division of the city of Los Angeles is run well with good pay and decent part time hours. the free golf is a good bonus as well as the cafe
Pros
free golf once a week, flexible hours
Cons
hard to become full time, limited hours
Busy fast paced with alot of overtime.
City Craft Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 10, 2017
I was content with my job and the associates I worked with. The position was very challenging, due to the fact that a high degree of attention had to be focused on equipment and safety.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
no work on rainy days
interesting and uplifting
Community Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Every task was meaningful as it impacted the lives of Angelenos. Understanding all parties involved helped me to respect and run the extra mile to reach the goals of the team.
loved it
Locker Attendant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 20, 2016
Recommends

Positive Outlook

Pros

Trained me as if I were a new hire and tried to give me as much experience as possible. Truly wanted me to learn the ins and outs and gain knowledge while I interned.
Great Place!
Pool Manager I (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 19, 2017
I have been here for 9 years and am only leaving due to my schooling coming to a conclusion soon. Time for me to move on to bigger and better things with my degree.
Job security that comes with typical government employees and hostile management.
Tax Auditor II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 21, 2017
hostile work environment
discriminatory workplace
pay for your water
employees have to donate items that break in the kitchen
no break room provided
Fun workplace nice enviorment
Messenger clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 15, 2016
Typical days at work was very fun, I enjoyed working with employees who are also good friends. I also liked the extended lunches given.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Standing on feet all day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4