City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Job security that comes with typical government employees and hostile management.
Tax Auditor II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 21, 2017
hostile work environment
discriminatory workplace
pay for your water
employees have to donate items that break in the kitchen
no break room provided
City Of LA Golf
Park Attendant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, CAJanuary 13, 2017
The Golf division of the city of Los Angeles is run well with good pay and decent part time hours. the free golf is a good bonus as well as the cafe
Pros
free golf once a week, flexible hours
Cons
hard to become full time, limited hours
Enjoyable job
Traffic Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2017
This job was a great experience but did not promise full time postions even after being an employee for two years, besides that I loved the joy, supervisors and coworkers.
It was a good work place
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  5860 Wilton pl la CA 90044January 6, 2017
I am a equipment operator I have 17 years of experience operating all types of equipment all so drive tractor trailers loading equipment on to trailers moving from job site to job site
Pros
Lunch
Cons
2 brakes
Great work environment
Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 21, 2016
I enjoyed working for the city of Los Angeles because everything I worked for along with everything that was offered was highly beneficial to me and my family
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Difficult advancement
Great diverse company to work for
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 20, 2016
Great company to work for great benefits. Company is very outgoing with employees needs. Everyone is nice and helps you out. Managers are very nice and understanding.
Fun workplace nice enviorment
Messenger clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 15, 2016
Typical days at work was very fun, I enjoyed working with employees who are also good friends. I also liked the extended lunches given.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Standing on feet all day
Good Benefits
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2016
Benefits are good, was better prior to the recession. City just out of a hiring freeze so hopefully more jobs and room for advancement opportunities are created and you don't spend nearly 15 years waiting for someone to die or retire in order to promote or transfer.
loved it
Locker Attendant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 20, 2016
Recommends

Positive Outlook

Pros

Trained me as if I were a new hire and tried to give me as much experience as possible. Truly wanted me to learn the ins and outs and gain knowledge while I interned.
Fun place to work for the summer
Pool Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2016
Extremely competitive to become a lifeguard, must be a very good swimmer and the job comes with excellent pay and hours. Out door and indoor facilities that are possible to be assigned at .
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Hot days
City of Los Angeles; Clerical position
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 14, 2016
It was great working with the City of Los Angeles. The staff was very great to work with and I love the downtown Los Angeles atmosphere. I learned so much and I had a awesome opportunity to deliver confidential documents whiling enjoying the walks I took several blocks away.
Pros
I loved the atmosphere and everything I learned
Cons
It could never become a permanent positon
Grueling hours with low compensation
Senior Field Deputy (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesNovember 13, 2016
This review is for that of an elected staffer- the hours are often in excess of 50 hours per week, with no overtime compensation.

This is not ideal for anyone who is married and has a family.
Fun place to work
Assistant Park Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Griffith Park, CAOctober 13, 2016
Working for the city is great! A typical day at work involves meetings and working with the public. It is important to represent the city with a smile and provide the best customer service.

I have learned how to communicate to the public very well.

Hardest part of the job is leaving because there are many benefits!

Most enjoyable part of the of job is unless opportunities the city can bring
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Fast paced but alot of friendly people
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 20, 2016
It is a very good seasonal job with GREAT city perks. One you get hied with the City, you are able to apply for other positions while you are there and they will give you time off to go to the various testing sites.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Seasonal
Large Local Government - Easy to get lost
Election Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2016
The City of Los Angeles is a large and very impersonal entity. I wish you well in your journey there. Every department has a different culture and different rules. I worked in a temporary position and the full time staff treated us as if we were lepers.
Very Productive and friendly place
TAX RENEWAL ASSISTANT (TRA) (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 16, 2016
Hello,

A typical day at work, I learned to process business applications,
time management.
My co-workers are very informative and the hardest part of my job,
arriving to work without delay while using public transportation.
The most enjoyable part of the job is completing my work.
Pros
Pleasent environment
Cons
I sit all day.
work condition
Contracts and Specifications / Apparatus Engineer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 14, 2016
LADWP is great company to work with great retirement plan ..they have a lot of work opportunity within department to learn many skills and many people absorb outside of employment because of good experince in DWP.
My Best Job Ever!
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cienega Sports ComplexAugust 20, 2016
There was never a typical day at work. You always had your specific duties but you did whatever needed to be done. Answering phones, transfer calls, take messages, collect payments; you name it, we did it. I learned how to multitask efficiently. This was my real first job and it made me the worker that I am today. Management was amazing. They understood that we wanted to make money, so they made sure that we understood we had to work for it. Management was not only a office of managers, they worked along side of us and guided us throughout the years. There was such a family-like bond between all of us that coming to work was second nature, it wasn't "work". All of my co-workers got along easily and were very determined and goal-driven people, so it made working so much easier and enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is the end of the summer. That's when the Summer Camp program ends and people begin to disperse. Some of the co-workers stay, some go back to school or whatever the case may be. The most enjoyable part of the job is our Summer Camp Program. Spending Monday through Friday from early in the morning to almost 6 in the evening with such amazing people was truly what made it all worth it.
Its Cool
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 14, 2016
They train you for whatever job your going to do with no problem. They are one of the best company's you can work for. I love the staff and everything in between
Fun group of safety professionals
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2016
My time with the LADOT was short, and I have my regrets for leaving, but I hope to one day work with them again. It gives me great satisfaction working with our community and taking the oath to provide safe passage for our children and elders. I was with the company for 1 month and my pay was increased which made for a great reason to encourage others to try and give your free time to the LADOT.