City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews in United States

allways somthing to do
Maintenance & Construction Helper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 4, 2014
leared a lot while working here.
co-workers were great to work with and learn from.
typical management bi weekly safety meetings but have a lot of usefull info.can learn more from other shops an works threw group projects.advancment is difficult at times due to having to take tests an wait for a job to open an hope there isn't 5000 other people wanting the same job.
Pros
benifets
Cons
comute time home
Large variety of work to perform
senior construction inspector (Former Employee) –  City of Los Angeles, CAOctober 26, 2014
Good place to work. Training was excellent. Co workers were easy to work with and we had a high number of knowledgable employees.
Great Benefits
Clerk Typist III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2014
Great job for stability. Great coworkers. Holidays off. Hard to promote.
great place to work
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2014
I've been working for the city for 14 years as a crossing guard although I have enjoyed this job over the years the hours been cut would really like to carry on with the city but in a more full time basis.... the city has been a great place to work for I had the opportunity to work alongside some great people, had great experience working with the public.... the most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the children and parents I enjoy the friendly atmosphere....everyone knows who I am and I like that about this job. then a typical day consists of watching the traffic surveying it and when it is safe to do so escort my children safely across the street.... I've learned a lot on this job and is always great to learn something new
Pros
great people skills type job...
Cons
the hours have become less..
The opportunity to work and make a difference in the community is amazing.
Field Representative/ Senior Citizen Section (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 10, 2014
I thoroughly enjoy working for the Senior Citizen Section. Planning citywide multicultural events is both challenging and rewarding.
Pros
development of a limitedness knowledge base.
Cons
there are no benefits for part time employees
always something interesting to work at.
Maintenance Painter (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 28, 2014
I had a very challenging and interesting work career at the City of Los Angeles.
Pros
interesting people to work with
Cons
a few difficult personalities at times, but overall positive experience.
Fast paced office environment. Requires the ability to multi-task.
Principal Clerk Police Levels I- III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2014
A typical day at work would start with resetting security passwords for those returning from vacation or staff that would simply forget their login passwords. I would check all telephone messages and respond to them. Check supplies to ensure all office supplies were in stock and not running low. I would check the incoming work tray to ensure priority reports were being processed in a timely manner. If there was no staff available I would process the priority reports. Afterwards I would check sign-in sheets and enter the previous day attendance records. When needed I would assist in answering incoming telephonic requests for help and information on how to obtain copies of reports. I was liaison to outside law enforcement entities as well as liaison to supply division and sister stations. I spent my entire career attending workshops on supervision, management, leadership, and effective communication skills offered through the Cities resource programs and classes.
Pros
developed excellent rapport with co-workers and supervisors. learned to be a team player.
Cons
continuous hiring freezes, extremely difficult to replace staff, and large work loads with reduced staff.
A place when the growth of the youth is in your hands
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 1, 2014
Walking into the center where the kids are happy to see you because they know your there to provide them with developmental and fun filled activities. They know that you'll be there when they get hurt as well as when they need someone to talk to. The most important part is leading youth in the right direction. The hardest part is going home at the end of the day .
Pros
being a role model, field trips and working with a family
Cons
gets really hot sometimes
I really ejoyed working with my co-wokers
Correctional Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 14, 2014
With each job I have enjoyed working with my coworkers,and I enjoyed the freedom that can with job since this was a prison facility.
Pros
able to schedule your work days.
Cons
better health benefits
Very productive
Senior Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 8, 2014
Loved the people. Great place to work for. Opportunity to promote. Great benefits. Flexible schedule.
Productive and potential experience
Admissions Park Attendant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 13, 2014
Very busy work place when it comes to the time of the season where it picked up. Cultural visitors and interactive responsibilities. Interesting people to work with from different places and varies ages. the hardest part of the job was not being able to multiply myself to help the visitors more. The most enjoyable part of the job was putting smiles on peoples faces. Learning a few things each day from either the visitors or coworkers.
Pros
free access to the zoo
Cons
working conditions, short breaks, no access to clean, cold water on hot days, no break room.
Fast paced work environment; flexibility important.
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 10, 2014
The City of Los Angeles - Bureau of Sanitation. I would interface with the public by phone taking requests to start service; to receive containers; to pickup and replace broken containers; to investigate containers overfilled; or containers missed on pickup, besides handling walk-in's for container pickup. I interfaced with drivers by dispatch to check locations, truck breakdowns, injuries, and accidents; printed out and distributed requests for drivers. Other requests taken are special collections for bulky item pick up of furniture, appliances; metal; wood, and yard trimmings. I scheduled hearings for truck drivers Accidents and Injuries for disciplinary actions. I filled out forms and kept records of both Accidents and Injuries of drivers, and maintained reports on both. I did data entry of 6541 dump slips at the end of each day on the SCRMIS system. After completing all entries, a print out needed to be done and each was checked for balance, corrections made and a new printout made, and distributed for each supervisor and one set for the District Manager.
Pros
enjoyed talking to people on the phone and enjoyed people i worked with.
Cons
it took 3 hours travel time to get (to and fro). job too far from home.
Productive and fun workplace.
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Granada Hills, CAJuly 6, 2014
A typical day consists of varying jobs. I work both in the office and out on the grounds with our Summer Camp. I collect and process payments - manage spreadsheets and go over data to know when and how many people are in the camp at all times. Supervise counselors and staff. Hardest part of this job would be dealing with all ages from small children ages 3 and up and adults and seniors too. I enjoy the challenges of this job and all the varying aspects.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
1040 hours per year
Complies with work instructions and is observant of Division rules including safety and his crew.
Worker II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2014
Always busy in the field. I learned to be a good crew leader. Managed my crew in rules and safety. I got along with my co-workers and complete the work on schedule. The hardest part of my job is setting up the cones and directing the traffic. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that no-one get hurt and job was done in a safe manner.
Legislative Deputy (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2014
I learned how politics really work from boss and co-workers.
Need to rotate you in volunteer positions
Engineering Intern, Environmental Eng Division (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 6, 2014
Need more communication between different departments and allow you to move to wherever you choose.
Diverse, Fun, Professional
HR Coordinator/Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 28, 2014
The City of Inglewood is where it all began for me career wise. Here I was able to gain career direction. I loved this position as I was able to gain skill by being not only employed but mentored by some of the most successful attorney's in the Los Angeles County.
Pros
professional, growth, great experience
Cons
furlough days required by government
Kind and understanding
Project Engineer Internship (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2014
Most of the job is typical desk work. The project was amazing and expansive. Employers and bosses are very understanding that it is a learning experience. They ensured that they did what ever possible to enjoy your field of work. Even as an unpaid intern my mentors pitched in for an end of internship pay bonus. Left me with great networking afterwards.
Pros
lenient hours
Cons
fast paced work schedule leaves little time for learning
Great professional atmosphere
Office Clerk/ Phone Operator/ Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 1, 2014
Gained a lot of valiuble experience working for the City Of Los Angeles.
Great palce to work
City Manager Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los AngelesMarch 31, 2014
very rewarding place to work and grow professionally. I have had great opportunities for crossing training and learning new things in such a short time.

4.4