City of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Productive and enjoyable workplace with great co-workers
Communication Information Representative II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2013
I really enjoyed this job working both with the public and with my co-workers. We had a pleasant and close relationship working and assisting each other daily. I enjoyed assisting the public with their important issues and dealt effectively with there needs; coordinating with other departments when necessary for the information they required. It was a bit of a pressure job; but it kept you motivated and involved.
Pros
good benefits and great co-workers
Cons
commuting so far is very overwhelming.
I enjoyed my time at City of Los Angeles, great job, great people, great ;management. However, this was a 6 month temp. assignment, I knew it would
City Clerk (Temp. position) (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 4, 2013
Arrive to work, we did something different daily, would receive our job assignment, this job is about flexibility, the management was excellent, very easy to get along with. My co-workers were awesome people, felt like a real team. Hardest part of the job would have to be the temperature of the building, cold outside, cold inside, hot outside, hot inside. I love this job, if I had my choice I would have loved to stay permanently
Pros
lots of overtime.
Cons
not full time permanant position
Ok place to work
Wastewater operator 11 (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 4, 2013
I do alot of troubleshooting which is main function. I overlook 5 operators and their processes. Help them and write Work requests and direct trades on equipment needing repair or Lubing or other work. At Hyperion we have constant construction going on. I work with contractors and oversee their work. I make sure all workers I work with are working safe and enforce and perform many safety procedures. I get along with my co-workers well. Most enjoyable part of job is the many friends made and seeing problems solved. I get along with my co-workers operators, trade people and managers really well.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Job Now Boring
If you love the outdoors
Special Program Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 19, 2013
This is a good place to work I have been here for 14 years. If you like the outdoors and interacting with the public you will like working for Rec and Parks.

My day starts at 6am and ends at 10 am being that I am a part-timer (only draw back). I open and prepare child care facility for use by child care staff and the children daily. I ensure the sand box is free from trash and any harmful materials daily.
Pros
It's only part time
Cons
It's only part time
Recreation Center
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 29, 2012
A typical day at work consist of office work, including phone calls, payments for various recreation activities. Depending on the season or day I may work after school programs, day car camps, and classes. My co-working provide a enjoyable environment for everyone to work with. The hardest part of my job is also the most enjoyable because we aim to satisfy the patrons and their children that they leave in our hands to mold.
Cons
lack of hours
City Craft Asst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 14, 2013
- Conveyance of all new City Facility’s: Including but not limited to obtaining all necessary documentation while working in unison with various city departments in ensuring that all new City Facilities have been constructed within all City Building & Safety Rules and Regulations

- LAFD Regulation 4: Assisted with providing proper Fire Life Safety maintenance for all occupied City Facilities; Including but not limited to annual LAFD Regulation 4 inspections to determine the status of any/all Fire Life Safety Systems

- Assisting with the maintenance of City wide used software; Preparing material/work requisitions, time and equipment inventory, tracking and identifying building systems, and work progress reports
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
affordable recreation fun
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 18, 2015
Fun and diverse place to work. Everyday i see and meet new people and learn how to work with and accomidate everyone's needs. Unfortunately there is no room for growth.
Pros
amazing work environment
Cons
No room for growth
Great place to work. Always learning new things and meeting new people.
Assistant Park Services Attendant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 20, 2013
Working at Griffith Observatory has been amazing so far. I deal with all sorts of people, especially tourist. My customer service skills have improved greatly in this place. Working here has prepared me to work in any environment just because of how much diversity there is in this place. I have learned how to work under difficult situations and not panic.
great place to work
Crossing Guard (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 15, 2014
I've been working for the city for 14 years as a crossing guard although I have enjoyed this job over the years the hours been cut would really like to carry on with the city but in a more full time basis.... the city has been a great place to work for I had the opportunity to work alongside some great people, had great experience working with the public.... the most enjoyable part of my job is interacting with the children and parents I enjoy the friendly atmosphere....everyone knows who I am and I like that about this job. then a typical day consists of watching the traffic surveying it and when it is safe to do so escort my children safely across the street.... I've learned a lot on this job and is always great to learn something new
Pros
great people skills type job...
Cons
the hours have become less..
Productive and busy work place enjoyed recruitment and staff.
Senior Election Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 15, 2014
Very detailed, a lot of deadlines to assignments needed to be meet on a timely manner. Learned how to manage staff and special projects, engaged in a lot of manager meeting which was very insightful and mandatory since I was the Senior Clerk. Hardest part of the job was staff due to the fact I was in a new position at an old job (adjustment).
Pros
Every holiday off and pay.
Cons
N/A

Want to know more about City of Los Angeles?

Ask a question
Up Beat work Place
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 6, 2015
On a daily I can look up well over 100 accounts per day to make sure everything is up to date,it keeps me busy and doing something at all times. The way everything is done now with different systems it's really amazing on how every thing is stored now.
Pros
I learn new things on different case just about every day
Cons
sometimes you have to make breaks shorter to get an dead line done
Complies with work instructions and is observant of Division rules including safety and his crew.
Worker II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2014
Always busy in the field. I learned to be a good crew leader. Managed my crew in rules and safety. I got along with my co-workers and complete the work on schedule. The hardest part of my job is setting up the cones and directing the traffic. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that no-one get hurt and job was done in a safe manner.
The opportunity to work in the public sector
Board of Directors (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 20, 2015
I was able to work with youths from all areas of the city to mentor them and help them prepare for college. I produced the Youth Ambassadors documentary that was used to raise funds and get support for the program.
Pros
Working with youth
Cons
navigating the bureaucracy which is natural for a government body
Fast paced and deadline driven position requiring wide knowledge of construction.
Contract Administration Inspector (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 30, 2013
I worked as a Contract Administration Inspector which entailed an extremely comprehensive knowledge of construction practices, techniques, local and state codes, as well as an ethical, authoritative quality. We were in charge of public works improvements such as paving, curb and gutter, underground pipeline placement, and large-scale municipal improvements, such as civil infrastructure like Police and Fire stations.
We were the on-site eyes and mediator between the contractors and the City of Los Angeles. It was a great experience that forced me to constantly learn and improve and update my knowledge.
Pros
Great career and changing environment.
Cons
Very heavy responsibility, personal liability.
Start of something New
Systems Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 21, 2015
At typical work day starts with overall systems check on the server and peripherals. What I leaned career on ECM solution here, has created a passion for content management. Management is OK, coworkers are great. Hardest part, getting laid off. Most enjoyable riding the train to work.
Pros
ECM education
Cons
Unfinihsed ECM project due to bureacracy
Challenging, yet fun workplace with great supervisors and co-workers.
Recreation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Recreation & Parks, LA KidsAugust 29, 2012
Assisted in the planning, organizing, and execution of the girls’ softball academy. Monitored, supervised and ensured the safety of children while at summer camp when expected. Learned patience, the importance of children's safety, and strengthened work ethic. Supervisors and co-workers were a pleasure to work with.
Productive and fun work environment to work
SPA II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 26, 2014
As an Assistance Manager people expect from you a lot. Your basically in charge of every detail at work. I've learned a lot out of this job. How to run a store from counting drawers, inventory, run shifts and process all information into the computer. I learned how to work with my co-workers, how to grid costumers., learned that costumers are always right and give what they asked for. The hardest part of the job is try to have everybody happy and pleased with what they asked you for. Cover areas that you don't have replacement and give 100% on everything. And the most enjoyable part is getting to know a lot of people and all the knowledge you gain from the job you're doing.
Pros
Have free lunches, met new people and gain knowledge
Cons
Lunch whenerver possible, variable schedule and deal with angry costumers.
Great environment
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 19, 2014
For me, working for the Department of Water and Power was a wonderful, albeit trying at times, experience. Could not be a better bunch of people to work with or for. Upper management was questionable at best with organizational decisions, but the environment itself worked very well for me.

Typical day was hectic as there were always numerous incoming telephone calls, filing to be done, correspondence to be prepared, information to be located. This made the day go by very quickly most of the time.

The most enjoyable part of the job for me was the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was understanding and dealing with upper management's decisions and actions taken.
Pros
Co-workers, easy access to work location, compensation and benefits
Cons
Understaffing, questionable upper management actions/decisions
Productive and fun place to work, great benefits, retirement
Quality Control Analyst (Former Employee) –  Sun Valley, NVApril 28, 2012
Typical lab work, learned and improved laboratory, communication skills, great manager and coworkers of dicerse cutural background, hardest part was long hours of overtime, enjoyed all tasks of lab operation.
Pros
great benefits, retirment, fun place, day care available thru company
Cons
long hours of work needing overtime
Diverse, Fun, Professional
HR Coordinator/Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 28, 2014
The City of Inglewood is where it all began for me career wise. Here I was able to gain career direction. I loved this position as I was able to gain skill by being not only employed but mentored by some of the most successful attorney's in the Los Angeles County.
Pros
Professional, Growth, Great Experience
Cons
Furlough days required by Government

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4