City of Memphis Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Wellness Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 11, 2017
When I was hire as Wellness Coordinator I developed a wellness strategy for employees and retirees with the City of Memphis. I increased the number of fitness centers for employees and retirees. Also increased the overall participation in wellness while creating an organizational culture of wellness. Good place to work but be careful with the organizational culture changes. Within some Divisions employees are not valued while managers given a pass to not follow policies and procedures set.
okay work place just to many temps not enough full timers
Temporary Crewperson (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 9, 2017
the city is okay but they don't have enough full time workers they don't want to pay insurance so they have a lot of temps including me .I learned a lot in the 6 years I have been with the city . The hardest part of the job is knowing you will only get 56 Hrs. for the whole two weeks . I learned that management hire who they want to be full time only if they know you .
productive and fun work place of the city of Memphis
solid waste management (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 2, 2017
my typical day at work was sunny. Learning how to move and work in a fast place manner, The hardest part of my job was, Garbage been pulled and torn. The most enjoyable part of my job was, working.
Pros
free water, safely gear
Cons
good benefits
Wellness Center is a plus for employee.
CD Analyst/HSN (Current Employee) –  701 N. Main StreetJanuary 12, 2017
Each department is different.
If management is good the staff most likely will follow suit. My co0worker and I have a good working relationship. We are team players.

My Contract Agencies and I have a good working relationship..
Pros
Free training programs, seminars/webinars
Cons
Healthcare Coverage goes up but no raise.
work review
Heavy Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 26, 2016
excellent place to work
good people with a lot of skills
good supervisors
clean enviorment
good pay
typical work was repair equipment and operating equipment
Pros
good benefits
Cons
dirty work
A diverse place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 13, 2016
Working here provides me with an opportunity to meet people from all backgrounds and cultures, it is a place where you will find your work rewarding and interesting. It is like being with family.
Stable Job...Real work
SANITATION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 19, 2016
This was a stable company being a city municipality and all. Management left something to be desired, and could be stressful environment. Pay was okay. Plenty of time to spend with family or on a second job.
Very Productive work environment
Police Radio Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  201 Poplar, Memphis, TNAugust 19, 2016
Beginning the day can be very busy with back to back calls for police service. It is a lot to learn, from knowing the city streets and interstates to mapping; we have to know phone numbers and education the public on various laws, ordinance and getting them to understand and try to stay calm in a serious situation. Helping the citizens is a rewarding job,because once you have done all you know and train to do, the citizens walk away educated and informed and hopefully be able to deal with other situations. Working with a bunch of loving, compassionate,kind, understanding and funny group of people helps make your run a little smoother. Maybe one of the hardest part of the job is receiving calls about children(infants, small or older) and you seem so helpless and learning to separate that incident and not to take the stress of it home..
productive and fun workplace
Dispatcher/Customer Service/Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 17, 2016
Typical day at work consists of back and forth on two way radio with co-workers and management. Filing paperwork such as daily activities completed by the crews are also part of my everyday duties. The day is filled with laughter as crews call in and out over the radio!!!
Pros
day shift
Cons
less pay
Great to work for
GENERAL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 14, 2016
A typical day consisted of a lot of data entry and not a lot of interaction with the public. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you were aware of what was expected of you everyday and were able to work at your leisure.
Pros
Job security
Cons
N/A
Fast Paced and Stable Environment
Technical Analyst/Oracle Advanced Superuser (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 10, 2016
A typical day while working with the City of Memphis is one that is fast paced and constantly changing. Prioritizing is very important and I have learned how to put first things first. My love is being an Oracle Superuser where I get to program the City's policies and procedures to help end-users do their jobs productively. I have worked under three administrations during my fourteen years and each have had their own and goals visions that I have made sure that my team has met and exceeded. I work with a great group of people that are hardworking and loyal to their jobs. I was nominated and won the award by my peers for best customer service and team support. The hardest part of my job is knowing when to cut off for the day. The most enjoyable part is writing new policies and procedures and implementing them to help my team .
Pros
Stability
Outstanding company, training and work schedule
Firefighter/EMT (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 25, 2016
Enjoyed my tenure with the Memphis Fire Department. Work was challenging, tough and always different from day to day. Down town was spent training, mentoring and getting ready for that next call!!
Pros
Great work schedules and time off.
The Memphis Music Commission was a great department to work for
Music Commission Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 14, 2016
I booked artist for our monthly showcase, listening sessions, and helped organized our music business workshops. I also assisted with the programming for our TV and Radio show.
very sociable fun place
Filing and assisting (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 7, 2016
We work as a team to get the work done, while still being able to have fun. Everyone where nice helped others when need it. where i worked really was not a social place for people to come, but people still came by to say hello.
Pros
long breaks, short working hours, good pay
Cons
n/a
Office job, very laid back
Compensation Intern (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 4, 2016
A typical day of work included data entry and reviewing files for different departments. I learned how to use the Oracle system for various departments. Management was generous and very easy to work with. My co-workers were very helpful and a fun-loving group. The hardest part of this position was the routine and mundane desk work. I enjoyed getting to know my co-workers and making friends within the company.
fast paced and high stress
Police Radio Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 30, 2016
I love my job as a 911 operator, but we are being forced to work 12 hour shifts. Management is refusing to hire more employees to relieve the stress. It is an officer and citizen safety problem and I don't want to chance having someone hurt because I am to tired to react properly.
Focus Lifeguard
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 2, 2016
As a lifeguard, it was my duty to ensure the safety of the patrons and make sure the proper guidelines were followed. other duties included the up keep of the pool area as well as the ph balance of the pool.
Pros
Working outside at a pool
Cons
the job was seasonal only
City of Memphis Experience
Grants Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 19, 2016
I thoroughly enjoy my job and department. My department/division has allowed me the opportunity to learn new skills that can and have been applied to my day to day operations.
Pros
Great work environment
Great foundation
Communications Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 12, 2015
Learning how to perform multiple task and adapting to sudden changes in a moments notice has been vital to my overall knowledge. Having that skill and ability has boost my confidence and motivation to achieve higher heights in any potential field. Unfortunately with the uncertainty of city government, placement and opportunities are very selective.
common, predicable and routine.
Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 31, 2015
slight chance of advancement lacking communication between management and employees for some areas of the city work and life balance is good
Pros
salary, environment outdooor charity programs supported
Cons
low rate of advancement, combative employees lack of communication dis orderly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Memphis. Our community is ready to answer.