CITY OF MEMPHIS Employee Reviews

Field Service Technician
Field Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 18, 2013
I was a great experience working for the City of Memphis. I wear many hats at this job. A typical day will involve trouble shooting laptops, desktops, and printers. Remoting in to users systems and resolving tickets. Mangement is revolving door in this enviroment. As soon as relationship the hierarchy would change. I did enjoy meeting the many different people involved in this job. Co-worker are great, could not work around a better bunch. The hardest part for me is to say no to someone important asking me to work on something that is beyond my scope of work. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with all the different entities and people that make up Information Services. Also gaining the knowledge from all specialized groups.
Pros
understanding how local goverment works.
Cons
lack of benefits.
Enforcement of State, Federal and local laws and ordinances
Police Officer / Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 26, 2013
The job was that of a police officer for the City of Memphis. A typical day would involved arriving at my assigned area (ward, high school) patrolling and/or observing to prevent or enforce violations of the law. I learned to observant, to listen to opposing viewpoints and observations in order to make good decisions. Management training was vital for the work, and not all managers were properly trained. Co-workers were acceptable. The hardest part of the job was that at times it was tedious. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you knew that your actions really helped someone and made a difference in their life.
Pros
confidence gained, decision-making skills improved, respect of people.
Cons
management, lack of promotional opportunity
Really enjoy working and helping the public in various communities
Code Enforcement Officer (Housing) (Current Employee) –  125 North MainJuly 22, 2013
A typical work day: Report to the work site location to pick up the vehicle next I would gather paper work to address the open violations in the community. Input violations into the data base to generate a notice to be mailed to make the corrections.

Learned: how to adapt to the different personalities within the communities.

Management: Of time as it relates to court appearances and re-inspecting violations in a timely fashion.

Co-Worker: Great group of employees

Hardest part: Citizens refuse to bring their property into compliance before court date, getting managers to put directives in instructions in writing.

Enjoyable: When I was able to help the citizens address their concerns.
Pros
off on weekends
Cons
pay-cut
great work place
PROPERTY AND EVIDENCE ROOM ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 24, 2013
typical day at work was coming in tagging evidence and interacting with a large variety of people.
i learned how to be patient, what certain drugs were and what they looked like, i learned more about a police officers' job and the different things they experienced, how to tag evidence, and what kind of people were in the City of Memphis (criminal wise).
my supervisors were friendly. they did not make it seem like they were superior to me. they got on a more personal and friendly level with everyone.
my coworkers were great. we all enjoyed working together. we knew when to work and when we could joke around.
the hardest part was learning all the details that go with the job.
and i cant really name a specific enjoyable part. i loved everything about my job.
The job is different than any other, no one day is ever the same. Some days are fast paced and others are quiet.
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 31, 2012
A typical work day for me is that it starts slow and provides customer the minute you walk thru the door. The management all handle every day different and all employees in different ways. There is little room for advancement after supervisor. The co-workers are a good group of people that have grown together and learned how to appreciate each other. The hardest part of the job is there is no one correct way to process and input data. But, the most enjoyable part of the job is that I'm comfortable and feel very confident in my skills for this job.
Pros
job security, we maintain 24 hours a day work, no lay off in ten plus years
Cons
no overtime and little room for advancement
Professional and family oriented company
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TnNovember 7, 2012
A day at work for me consist of checking my boss's calendar for meetings, submitting all request for leave forms and updating the departments spreadsheets. Keying payroll every other Friday, ordering supplies as needed, answer phones, and direct calls.
I've learned to prepare and process Business Travel. Management in this department is very different. I love my co-workers we all get along wonderfully. The hardest part of the job for me is remembering to sign in and out for reasons other than lunch, such as comings and goings, breaks, etc. The most enjoybable part of the job is just enjoying what I do.
Pros
vacation, sick, and bonus day accurals
Cons
paycuts, higher insurance rates
An enjoyable place to work, with children and adults.
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 25, 2015
A typical work day at will consist of a 3-5 hour shift. Help maintain the safe and clean environment of the Community Center. Monitor the children or young adults during free play in the gym. I learned the daily routine it takes to operate a community center. The management want to citizen in the community to utilize the center for their enjoyment. All the staff work together as a team to ensure that all the community center activities operate smoothly. The hardest part of the job is not enough work hours. Meeting new people is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Working with young adults and meeting new people
Cons
Part-time/ no benefits
Government Does Work
Human Resources Benefits Specialist (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 21, 2013
A typical day at work allows the employee to interact directly or indirectly with thousands of city workers and establishes an effective professional relationship. The job is team oriented, and trust among leaders that depict exemplary leadership in fairness, support, and recognition. Learning to do things right, save time, the first time every time. The hardest part of the job is working with bias management among some leaders. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you provided excellent customer service to the people that count on you.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
I.T. contractor
PC support technician Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 1, 2014
• Remote PC administration: Windows XP / Win7 – various management tools.
• V.O.I.P. telephone service including Memphis Police, Military, Fire Department..
• Solving issues with modems, scanners, cameras, digital imaging, graphics and all types of electronic and communications hardware and software.
• Active Directory administration and Group policy (GPO) tools.
• Technical end user training and high-level support: multiple mass upgrades and re-imaging government/industrial systems with 100% data integrity.
Pros
able to use skills to benefit a large organization
Cons
culture of little advancement
A day in my Life
Grant Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis TNMay 17, 2014
My day begins with deciding the order of the tasks that I must accomplish for the day. I have learned about Grants compliance, claim reimbursements and the ins and outs of the "Grant World".The management in my office is a remarkable person with so much knowledge concerning Grants. My co-workers are good people who perform their jobs to the best of their abilities. The hardest part of my job is all the research that I do on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I find the missing link and "Bingo" have solved the problem.
Cons
pension plans, no incremental raises.
Very productive and quiet workplace. With very friendly co-workers.
Receptionist/Secretary/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 29, 2013
Answering inbound calls from different citizens of Memphis about their garbage services. I learned different and easier ways to use Microsoft Office. The hardest part of the job was dealing real mad customers when it nothing I can do without calling management. If I could solve every problem with out management I would have loved that. The most enjoyable day was ending such productive work day.
Pros
good bonuses.
Cons
better management skills
Productive workplace
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 22, 2015
I filed and entered confidential documents into databases for the City of Memphis. As an telephone operator, I consulted with customers inquiring about billing information and court dates, often scheduling new court dates. I prepared letters to be sent to residents. I enjoyed working in a friendly up-beat environment. I worked as a team to tackle large quantities of paperwork. The hardest part was not having enough hours.
Pros
government holidays and weekends off
Cons
short hours
Stressful
Golf Foreman (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 12, 2013
I was a foreman and worked at three city courses. I worked for the city for 28 years. I was called on by management personnel to assist other managers. I was on call for seven days a week for 28 years. The hardest part was accepting the fact that I was not paid a salary that compensated for the work and time I put in. I was never given an explanation on why I was unable to reach top pay in my area.
Pros
good team work
Cons
no overtime, loss of sick time
Great working environment but stagnant
Middle Management (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 29, 2015
Due to shrinking budgets, There is a strong need for increased sense of urgency in government all of the nation. Memphis is no exception. However, we are working very hard to move towards becoming a more progressive City by shifting our operation practices.
Pros
Great staff, great employee wellness programs
Cons
Low opportunity for promotion, nepotism
Great foundation
Communications Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 12, 2015
Learning how to perform multiple task and adapting to sudden changes in a moments notice has been vital to my overall knowledge. Having that skill and ability has boost my confidence and motivation to achieve higher heights in any potential field. Unfortunately with the uncertainty of city government, placement and opportunities are very selective.
Life Saving & Public Education
Fire Suppression Specialist (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 3, 2014
24 hours, 3 days a week work schedule
Public interaction and public service provider
High impact work environment
Repetitive heavy lifting
Fast paced work environment
Life changing opportunities
Teaching opportunities
Hazardous work environments
Work in both in and outdoors
Pros
several days off
Cons
continuous loss of benefits
Productive organizational culture and workforce
Grants & Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 6, 2013
Developed analysis and presentations for senior management regarding financial and/or operational performance on such issues as productivity, operational statistics, cost trends and revenue trends. Provide regular reports to the departmental and divisional management on projects and programs.
Productive and fun
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Memphis, MIJuly 20, 2013
Typical day at work was; helping kids cross the road.
I learned that there is such a thing as a great work environment
Management is amazing, and the co-workers are great
The hardest part of the job was saying good bye
Most enjoyable part of the job was; helping kids, and the great long term relationships you build.
Pros
meeting great people
common, predicable and routine.
Equipment Operator/Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 31, 2015
slight chance of advancement lacking communication between management and employees for some areas of the city work and life balance is good
Pros
salary, environment outdooor charity programs supported
Cons
low rate of advancement, combative employees lack of communication dis orderly
Good work environment with good benefits.
Solid Waste Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 4, 2015
Challenging, everyday you never knew what the day would bring; rewarding - enjoyed the different parts of town that I had to explore to get the job done; and dependable even though it was a temporary job. Company tried to keep me on, but no positions available.
Pros
being independent.
Cons
temporary tour.