City of Mesa Employee Reviews in United States

Very fun place to work
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 22, 2015
A typical day at work for City of Mesa was Awesome! Great atmosphere. Tons of places to go during the day school to school. Team meetings.
my Managers were the best, very friendly and outgoing.
My favorite part of the job was going to the schools and having fun with the kids, teaching new games and new programs, being a coach and mentor.
Pros
traveling
Cons
healthcare
Caveat Emptor
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Plaza buildingOctober 15, 2015
I would not recommend the City of Mesa as an employer. Mesa may be a great place to work compared to other public entities, however, for anyone coming from the private sector, the City of Mesa is like working in an aggressive shark tank. Job protectionism, lack of trust, withholding information, embarrassing and or degrading co-workers, subordinates, customers, retirees, etc. (basically anyone that walks thru the door) is the norm. If you enjoy swimming with sharks then this is the place to work. It is interesting to note that leadership and management seem to be blissfully unaware of the culture, or the fact that culture is a reflection of leadership or lack thereof.

The workplace culture is severely lacking professionalism, modern management techniques, positive attitudes etc., and there is an overarching impression that there is a very serious disconnect between leadership, middle management, and the workforce. Somewhere in the hot mess, the basic understanding is lost that a 'Mission' is not just a pretty statement but a plan of action and that 'Values' are not just words printed on a business card or poster. Some key words & phrases to keep in mind before accepting a position - unprofessional, shark tank culture (watch your back & your step at all times), unrealistic expectations, obsolete, outdated, archaic software systems (think repackaged 1990's SW) and last but not least, the politics and political wrangling that equates to putting lipstick on a pig. A pig is still a pig no matter how you dress it.

On a brighter note, Mesa does offer many training and development
  more... classes for learning opportunities and the classes are usually very informative.  less
Benefits
Cons
Negative, even hostile at times, workplace culture & unprofessionalism
Family closeness, challenging, BBQ
Court Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 16, 2015
I was thankful for the challenge that each day brought to me. I provided the Judges, staff and customers assistance. I assisted the Judges in extremely heavy case loads and often sensitive cases. I ensured that all cases were prepared and accurately entered into the computer, MS Office and Excel so they were available to use during the court session. During the Court session I prepared Sentencing Documents, Scheduled Jail, Scheduled Court dates, prepared orders, and answered questions by the person or persons I was helping. After court sessions, computers, MS Office, Excel and scanners are used to update Court documentation and records. I answered extensive phones. I was often face to face with angry customers in which my ability to display tact and diplomacy in challenging situations diffused the situation. I Prepared and processed letters, mail, e-mails, Motions, Orders, memos, warrants, Sentencing documents, Appeals and Orders/Injunctions. My time management and prioritizing skills were essential for the Case management of this Court and to assist when needed in other areas.

I have learned about legal processes, procedures, policies and rules.
I am knowledgeable with legal proceedings, State Statues, City Ordinances and legal terminology.

The hardest part of my job was going home. The most enjoyable part of the job was going home. They both provided me with a day of challenges and a sense of accomplishments knowing that I provided 100% of myself to my job.

My thirty years of professional experience with the Court have provided me with the skills, confidence,
  more... devotion and determination in developing strong leadership skills and creating respect, honor and integrity from my co-workers, supervisors, and employer.  less
Pros
Three day weekend
Cons
Four days at 10 hours were sometimes long
Enjoyed the work and people
Senior Library Equipment Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 1, 2015
Enjoyed the work and the people that I worked with. Was able to help Patrons accomplish the task that they were doing on the computers.
A great government organization that cares for it citizens and employees.
Lead Auditor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 13, 2015
The supervisors are well trained to assist employees. The City building is in downtown Mesa with lots of restaurants within walking distance. The City employee benefits are great.
Pros
Nice Location, have lightrail access
Cons
Pay is below private companies
Enjoyed the atmosphere, team. and accomplishments within the department I worked.
AZ - HOUSING & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT INSPECTOR II (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 13, 2015
Responsible for all the contracts and construction aspects of the (NSP) home rehabilitation program praparing write-ups and contracts, inspections, and processing payments. Included is reviewing Davis-Bacon prevailing wage payrolls, conducting interviews, coordinating construction schedules, and completing construction inspections in order to complete work in a timely manner and in accordance with acceptable standards.
The department in which I work, is a very focused team, and always looking to improve and achieve the short and long term goals within the community. I enjoy the atmosphere and accomplishments my department provides for the City of Mesa.
Pros
four (4) day work week.
Cons
my job always depends on annual funding given to the City of Mesa
Productive workplace
Solid Waste Operator II (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 13, 2015
a typical includes working with differant people. You get to know the routes and what is expected of you. Management is helpful also. I would say there is nothing hard about the job. Just get out there and be safe and get your route done.
Pros
Get into events in Mesa
Cons
No overtime is available
Finance / Accounting / Management
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 24, 2015
Leadership lacking skills and professional behavior. Manipulative and bullying behavior backed my management. Difficult to attain personal goals due to financial software limitations, under staffed departments and cut throat activity. Work week is 4-10's. Most enjoyable part of job is co-workers.
Pros
short commute
Cons
limited opportunity for advancement
Mesa Fire/Medical Department
Firefighter/EMT/HazMatTech (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZFebruary 8, 2015
Working at the Mesa Fire Department over the past 28 years has been the most rewarding experience of my life. Work experience, training and professional relationships that I have built will enhance my life for years to come. Words cannot express the sense of accomplishment that I have been afforded in fulfilling my lifelong dream of being a firefighter and helping to save countless lives throughout my career. Being part of a World class fire department has been both stellar and humbling.
Pros
comraderie, sense of belonging, public service.
Cons
upper management's disconnect with first responders
Fun and productive work environment
Police Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 5, 2015
I'm a volunteer with the city not an actual employee. But they do offer flexible schedules, great benefits, and treat the volunteers well.
Pros
free lunches, banquets, happy work environment
Cons
lack of management structure, hectic days in nthe office

Want to know more about City of Mesa?

Ask a question
Fun Summer Work Environment
WSI Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Mesa AZOctober 26, 2013
Lifeguard and teach swim lessons in a fun environment where you work together as a team with all of your co workers.
Progressive advocates of the Mesa business community.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 15, 2013
The Mesa Office of Economic Developement is a proficient cadre of professionals who work diligently to retain and attact businesses of all sizes.
people who should be reprimanded or fired weren't
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 25, 2013
overall a good, challenging job, but the coworkers displayed short term memory loss. Tasks they have already done seemed to have to be learned again. Some of the employees were blatantly gorging them selves on the government tit. laziness, negative attitudes, and always a reason why some task couldn't possibly be completed. Upper management seemed reluctant to train new personnel to replace the few bad employees they should fire. I now have a perfect argument for paranoid types who blame the government for all the wrongs in the world. It's not the government; it's the people who work for the government that cause all the problems.
Pros
challenging, potential for opportunity, good pay
Cons
some of the coworkers
Water resources
Worker (Current Employee) –  Utilities DepartmentMarch 23, 2013
The people in charge of this department have no knowledge or experience in the water business and it truly shows in there very poor decisions. Advancement is based on who you know and if they like you.
Great Place to work
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 24, 2012
I enjoyed the people I worked with and I thought it was really nice it was a different environment that I was able to learn from.
city of mesa
COE Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZApril 4, 2012
city of mesa is a wonderful company to work for it definately has room for advancement and job security.
Great job for a high school student
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZMarch 27, 2012
Had a great time working with kids every day and maintaining the building. As a supervisor I managed the recreation facility and I loved carrying that responsibility.
Pros
great hours
Cons
no benefits