CITY OF MESQUITE Employee Reviews in United States

Good Place to work, but beware. (Budget Analyst)
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXMarch 23, 2016
A typical day at work for the Budget Analyst consisted of approving invoices for contracts, going over contracts, helping others with issues that they might have with the budget. Year long cycles consist of setting up budgets and helping the departments set up for the next fiscal year.

I learned the MUNIS system very well.

Management for the budget office could work on their communication skills. More often than not the management staff would not communicate their desires effectively. Co-Workers are some of the best people that you will work with.

The hardest part about this job is keeping busy. There are times that you will be done with work and there will be nothing that you can help with. If you can't find anything to do they will hit you with a "loafing" violation.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the work life balance. The job is 8-5 and once it hits 5, you can go home and not worry.
Pros
The employees are some of the best people that you will work with, Work is mainly 8-5 with an hour break for lunch
Cons
The compensation is lacking, the benefits are lacking, there is no upward movement within the city, You will have to stay in a position at least 10 years before you can be considered a higher position, Lateral movement is limited, Training at the City of Mesquite is almost nonexistent
Great Career
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 27, 2016
Wonderful place to build a career. A lot of room for advancement and you can easily switch departments. Job security. Great Training.
Pros
Great hours and benefits
Cons
Less pay than in private sector
Not going to fill out this review
Shop Superviosor (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 5, 2016
good old boy management, friends of management get away with murder. Take vehicles home for break and on unscheduled days. Theft is rampant
demanding
Air conditioning tech (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 9, 2015
nights and weekend on call at the time.
good relationships with fellow workers and good managers
enjoyed the challenge of a wide variety of different types of equipment.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
many hours
Laid back environment
Chemical Applicator (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 24, 2015
Working at the city of mesquite is very laid back and the average age of workers there is 45. Although laid back im looking for something more challenging. My typical day consist of clocking in and driving from park to park spraying herbicides.
governmemt
Accounts Payable Coorinator (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJune 25, 2015
•a typical day at work - busy
•what you learned - new software
•management
•your co-workers - small business
•the hardest part of the job - keeping up with 15 plants
•the most enjoyable part of the job not being micro manager
Hard to get but well worth the effort
Community Services (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TexasMay 24, 2015
Getting a job with a city is very hard but the benefits are great. I work full time, hands on training, love my co workers. City has it's on health insurance that you are qualified for after 30 days of full time employment. City matches retirement. City has it's own health clinic and free membership to the recreation center.
Pros
Cons
Watch how you treat people on and off duty
Fun and energetic staff, very creative and organized.
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 12, 2015
A typical day at work is easy going, all instructions are clearly demonstrated and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I have learned stellar communication skills as well as how to be a leader and handle management duties. Fortunately, there are no hard parts to this job in my opinion and the most enjoyable part of it is being able to interact with the parents/customers on a daily basis.
Pros
high hourly pay, family environment
Cons
low hours, weeks of at a time with no pay
Have been able to run the Code Enforcement Division with little or no direction from the Department Director.
Manager of Environmental Code (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 15, 2015
My typical day starts at 6:00am when I come in and review all of the web complaints that have come in for Code Enforcement during the night. I approve any invoices for Code Enforcement and check the invoices sent by the property preservation contractor along with photos for review. I have 7 code officers and 1 field supervisor that report to me on a daily basis. I've worked for the City of Mesquite for the last 6 years, but have been in municipal government for the last 30 years. The hardest part of this job is making sure that all code officers are doing what they need to be doing on a daily basis and tracking their cases to be sure nothing slips through the cracks. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with people on a daily basis.
Pros
good insurance and benefits
Cons
dealing with day-to-day politics
na
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXNovember 21, 2014
It's awesome. People are awesome and enjoy making money. Everyone seems to be having a lot of fun.
a great place to work and awesome people who love animals
Animal Control Officer (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, NVAugust 23, 2014
I never stop learning. I start out cleaning all dog kennels and cleaning food and water bowls. prepare food and give medication as needed.
we patrol the streets for animals that are stray or have lost their way. go on bite calls, set traps for critters, and rescue all the animals we can. we talk to people and educate them on rules and regulations and give citations as needed.
my co workers,and volunteers are wonderful to work with.
Great experence
Food Licensing Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 21, 2014
Learned new experience with code enforcement procedures and Food licensing processes. I gained an absorbent amount of knowledge.
Great place
Recreation Leader/Front Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJanuary 19, 2014
Greetings, I'm Jarvis Harden. I really have a passion for working with the youth,planning programs, and supervising. I have managerial experience. I bring great enthusiasm to the workplace, great team player and always willing to assist in any capacity needed. The hardest part of my job is saying no to a fellow team member because if I see a team member in need I want to help but in the end if I keep helping he or she will not get the concept of the job. The most enjoyable part of the job being around people and being the assistance that customers need and want.
Pros
being around sports and youth
Cons
not enough hours and not enough money
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXDecember 11, 2013
This is a fun and great place to work,with a lot of people that knows what to do
Pros
great and fun place to work
Cons
wages were frozen by politicians
Wonderfull job
Swimmer and Coach for summer competitive swim team (Former Employee) –  mesquite TXOctober 25, 2013
I taught kids to swim and helped others get ready for the competitions. This is where I learned how to communicate well and be a good leader. I loved this job more than any other. The best part was watching someone get their best time and record at a competition and knowing you had a part of helping them achieve that. There was no part that I did not like. The managers and co-workers were such wonderful people, we all got along great and became a family.
Physically demanding, but very rewarding
Tennis/Arts Center Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXOctober 17, 2013
Worked great hours, management was great to work for. Sometimes co-workers were hard to understand. The hardest part of the job was setting up the stages and the most enjoyable was the people I worked with. Area I worked was hard to advance.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
micro managing
Misleading
Police candidate (Former Employee) –  City of mesquiteSeptember 29, 2013
Not pro female in the police department. Very good ole boy mentality. Misleading in all aspects of the interview process. The interview board was belittling and degrading. Not a friendly place to work and this department does not follow the state motto....
Pros
not pro female
benefits
Great experience
Management Analyst/Assistant to Director (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJuly 8, 2013
great place to get experience but eventually you may have to leave. I hate to leave but there is no room for advancement and the pay is at the low end of the scale.
overall good work enviroment
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJune 20, 2013
I worked as a "recreation leader," and it was a pretty good job overall, except for my supervisor. She was very unfair and whenever there was a chance for me to work some extra hours I was always kept in the dark. She didn't like me and honestly I don't know why. I had been transferred from my orignal "workstation" to where she was located. My co-workers weere great and my other superiors were good. I had fun working with the kids. KMy only issue was my supervisor and til this day I still don't know what I did wrong for her not to "accept" me.
Pros
great kids, great coworkers
Great people and something new each day
Park Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXApril 8, 2013
Take care of parks, weed eat, mow and blow. During winter the jobs where different everyday. I learned how to drive and use many vehicles and equipment. Management was military like, all work and no play but they weren't bad people. My co-workers were a rag tag bunch of people but I learned a lot through them. The hardest part would be the hot Texas sun during summer with all the work being outside. The most enjoyable part was the pay and the activities I got to do each day.
Pros
get out of tickets from local police.
Cons
hard work and troubleshooting situations.