City Of Minneapolis Employee Reviews

Open to remote work
Sr. Oracle BPM, SOA Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteSeptember 16, 2017
Excellent work location if commuting and working remote. Not cutting edge technology as most government facilities. But dependable work and technology.
Pros
Open to remote work
Cons
Onsite if needed
Intern for City of Minneapolis
Urban Scholar Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2017
I worked at the Minneapolis Convention Center for the City of Minneapolis Urban Scholars Program ! My job duties consisted of working with various departments such as Event Services Human Resources, and Security! I worked with HR to develop a job shadowing program for employees looking to move up the ladder in the work space and also hired contractors to come in to do decorating with my ideas to create a better work environment. I created spreadsheets for Security to create a more cohesive security procedure while also acting as a administratve assistant !
Great
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 23, 2017
I worked as a research assistant with the city of Minneapolis. This position involved GIS work and helping set up data for the City's Comprehensive Plan.
great work culture
Criminal Investigator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 9, 2017
Great office to work for. Continually challenged and asked for input on implementing changes within the organization.

Management is striving to better the culture and work environment and offers several office sponsored gatherings allowing for a connected workforce.
Fun environment
Recreation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 28, 2017
I love my job and the things i do with the company. the kids are amazon, they love when i cook and help them with their homework. I just wish i can be a full-time employee instead of part time. but i love my work and i do it well.
Pros
some down time.
Cons
having a lot of rentals in one day.
Helpful fun laid back workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 2, 2017
Summer intern only, but I enjoyed the opportunity to work for the city just to see what they deal with on a day to day basis. And how much work actually goes into fixing vandalized property. I gained appreciation for my city even more
Pros
Opportunity, calm workplace, small group
Cons
Intern only
A supportive environment
Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 6, 2017
A good work group where people support each other. A small team of 5, my daily duties to support them include daily bank reconciliation, research lost checks, and process change orders.

The best part of my job is the variety of things I get to do. No two days are the same.

The hardest part is that our accounting staff is spread out over a few buildings. This is being taken care of by the construction of a new facility that will put us together in one building.

Leadership is kind, thoughtful and supportive.
Little Bummed
Payroll Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 7, 2017
City had great benefits but lot of people stressed out. There was mandatory overtime trying to get work finished on time and people were very upset by it.
Volunteer work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 19, 2017
This was volunteer work so I wasnt paid however it was fun to explore the city of minneapolis looking for abandoned lots to clean. The supervisor was also a good character so he made it a lot more enjoyable than it would have been.
Open and fun environment!
Election Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 5, 2016
I had a chance to get to know my co-workers. It was not a formal setting thus that helped in creating a fun environment for everyone as well as the customers we served.
Exciting and professional workplace
Concierge Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 11, 2016
The Minneapolis Convention center is a face of Minneapolis and they center their work environment with nothing but professionalism and hospitality.
fun place to work
Step­Up Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 1, 2016
I had the chance to work city of Minneapolis Community planning & Economic Development as a step up intern. My role was data entry and scanning files
Pros
longer breaks
Cons
healthcare
Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 2, 2016
This City is very understanding when it comes to family.
Pay is based on Union Contracts which can be a double edged sword.
There is a lot of clicks that aren't always to the benefit of the employee.
The hiring practices are not consistent.

Overall I am happy to have employment and I can't really compare this to another place because I have been here for 20 years.
Pros
good pay
Cons
government
CSR/Treasury Ops (water utility billing)/Business Licensing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 9, 2016
Treasury Operations -

Speak with customers by telephone, and in person to provide information about services.
Take and enter orders, cancel accounts, or obtain details of complaints, and record service.
Refer unresolved customer grievances to designated departments for further investigation.
Resolve customers' service or billing complaints.
Assisted the department through e-bill registrations, having signed up the most customers in one month since the start of the program in August of 2011, saving the Cities mailing costs in excess of $100,000 a year.
Served as trainer for new employees as requested by our managers.

Business Licensing -

Communicate with customers by telephone, or in person to answer questions and provide services they require.
Take and enter orders, cancel accounts, or obtain details of complaints
Check to ensure that appropriate changes were made to resolve customer problems.
Determine charges for services requested, collect deposits or payments, or arrange for billing.
Processed all bonds and insurance, and verify all renewal dates.
Determine cancellations and send out reminders when necessary.
Communicated with the Minneapolis Police Licensing and State of MN Liquor Control Board.
Sent public hearing notices to residences, and businesses that may be affected.
Prepared applications for presentation to the city council for approval.
Assisted the inspector with block event applications, confirming and acquiring approval with Minneapolis
  more... Police, Fire and Public Works to proceed with their events.
Complete contract forms, prepare change of address records, and issue service discontinuance orders.
Pros
The City of Minneapolis is a great place to work with many opportunities. Lots of very nice, helpful, knowledgeable people always ready to support you and see you advance.
Cons
Bitterly cold climate.
Great Place to Work!
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 10, 2015
There is a lot of room for growth and opportunity. I worked with a lot of talented people.

I worked here for about ten years and held 4 different positions; each was step up.
Typical Government environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis MNMay 6, 2015
Leadership is poor in IT. Very poor spending habits, no accountability. No loyalty. Everything you hear about government here is true
Pros
typically government holidays
Cons
bad leaderhip, over spends without accountablity
Minneapolis 911 Operator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 15, 2015
911 Emergency Operator City of Minneapolis. Typical 8 hour shift, average 1 emergency call every 40 seconds. Triage and route call to proper dispatchers (ambulance, fire, etc...). Holidays are busier, 4th of July (and surrounding week or so) is an outlier with shots fired calls and Shotspotter activity combined with fireworks. Constant activity including occasional shift on bait car. Excellent, high energy, high pace operational tempo in a real world overlay. Every second counts.
Pros
Rewarding, helpful, meaningful work!
Cons
Stress.
Fun place to work
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  MinneapolisOctober 20, 2014
Overall a nice place to work
Mangement knowledgeable
Cooperative coworkers
Near-sighted, too politically motivated management
CPED (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, mnJune 30, 2014
Sr Managers, and many City Council Members, are more concerned about how they and CPED appear to the public; rather than on hard economic development. The city's lending programs are not so effective in creating living wage jobs. Many projects subsidize co-lenders and developers in wealthier areas of the city. Many staffers don't know how to sell. Broader marketing of the city is left to be done by Council Members and the Greater MSP organization.
I liked most of the public I dealt with and some of the people who were in the trenches working with me.
Laborer/Driver (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 10, 2014
I went to work there and repaired streets, repaired and re placed water pipe, plowed streets and used assorted tools to complete my task.
Pros
I worked outside in all seasons.
Cons
No comment.