City Of Minneapolis Employee Reviews in United States

fun place to work
Step­Up Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 1, 2016
I had the chance to work city of Minneapolis Community planning & Economic Development as a step up intern. My role was data entry and scanning files
Pros
longer breaks
Cons
healthcare
Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 2, 2016
This City is very understanding when it comes to family.
Pay is based on Union Contracts which can be a double edged sword.
There is a lot of clicks that aren't always to the benefit of the employee.
The hiring practices are not consistent.

Overall I am happy to have employment and I can't really compare this to another place because I have been here for 20 years.
Pros
good pay
Cons
government
CSR/Treasury Ops (water utility billing)/Business Licensing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 9, 2016
Treasury Operations -

Speak with customers by telephone, and in person to provide information about services.
Take and enter orders, cancel accounts, or obtain details of complaints, and record service.
Refer unresolved customer grievances to designated departments for further investigation.
Resolve customers' service or billing complaints.
Assisted the department through e-bill registrations, having signed up the most customers in one month since the start of the program in August of 2011, saving the Cities mailing costs in excess of $100,000 a year.
Served as trainer for new employees as requested by our managers.

Business Licensing -

Communicate with customers by telephone, or in person to answer questions and provide services they require.
Take and enter orders, cancel accounts, or obtain details of complaints
Check to ensure that appropriate changes were made to resolve customer problems.
Determine charges for services requested, collect deposits or payments, or arrange for billing.
Processed all bonds and insurance, and verify all renewal dates.
Determine cancellations and send out reminders when necessary.
Communicated with the Minneapolis Police Licensing and State of MN Liquor Control Board.
Sent public hearing notices to residences, and businesses that may be affected.
Prepared applications for presentation to the city council for approval.
Assisted the inspector with block event applications, confirming and acquiring approval with Minneapolis
  more... Police, Fire and Public Works to proceed with their events.
Complete contract forms, prepare change of address records, and issue service discontinuance orders.
Pros
The City of Minneapolis is a great place to work with many opportunities. Lots of very nice, helpful, knowledgeable people always ready to support you and see you advance.
Cons
Bitterly cold climate.
Great Place to Work!
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 10, 2015
There is a lot of room for growth and opportunity. I worked with a lot of talented people.

I worked here for about ten years and held 4 different positions; each was step up.
Typical Government environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis MNMay 6, 2015
Leadership is poor in IT. Very poor spending habits, no accountability. No loyalty. Everything you hear about government here is true
Pros
typically government holidays
Cons
bad leaderhip, over spends without accountablity
Minneapolis 911 Operator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 15, 2015
911 Emergency Operator City of Minneapolis. Typical 8 hour shift, average 1 emergency call every 40 seconds. Triage and route call to proper dispatchers (ambulance, fire, etc...). Holidays are busier, 4th of July (and surrounding week or so) is an outlier with shots fired calls and Shotspotter activity combined with fireworks. Constant activity including occasional shift on bait car. Excellent, high energy, high pace operational tempo in a real world overlay. Every second counts.
Pros
rewarding, helpful, meaningful work!
Cons
stress.
Fun place to work
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  MinneapolisOctober 20, 2014
Overall a nice place to work
Mangement knowledgeable
Cooperative coworkers
Near-sighted, too politically motivated management
CPED (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, mnJune 30, 2014
Sr Managers, and many City Council Members, are more concerned about how they and CPED appear to the public; rather than on hard economic development. The city's lending programs are not so effective in creating living wage jobs. Many projects subsidize co-lenders and developers in wealthier areas of the city. Many staffers don't know how to sell. Broader marketing of the city is left to be done by Council Members and the Greater MSP organization.
I liked most of the public I dealt with and some of the people who were in the trenches working with me.
Laborer/Driver (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 10, 2014
I went to work there and repaired streets, repaired and re placed water pipe, plowed streets and used assorted tools to complete my task.
Pros
i worked outside in all seasons.
Cons
no comment.
As a repair technician for many years, this occupation has many attributes that are transferrable towards administrative/management.
Office Support Specialist/ PW Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 9, 2014
My work life, for the most part has been centered around making some type of technical repairs. Whether it be electrical or mechanical, this has been my life's' work. I began as a young child, fooling around with small gas engines. Then as time passed, I became interested in the NHRA. The opportunity to get educated, began when vehicles transitioned to solid state components, and then computers. Most of my education had been learned from my father (Air Force aviation mechanic) who had a repair shop. For a long time working on cars was just a hobby, then I started working on other vehicles when shops would turn them away or the repairs were too expensive for whomever. After about 8 or 9 years of management, I decided to get some formal training, because I made more money on the side than I got paid as a manager. I have worked in other areas, because I really didn't like to get dirty. While attending technical school, I would work on school bus driver's vehicles during school, in the evening I worked a some aftermarket. My jobs have always had some direct contact with the public, until I began to work for entities that were fleet based.Most of my working life has consisted of overlapping workloads,night and day.I put down the wrenches for a few years and drove Class A. At one point in time, I became a single-parent father. I was trying to juggle 3 small children and continue to work my two jobs. Things got a little hectic so I had to take time to care for my family the best way I could. I received help from my family members, then I was able to resume my regular routine in working  more... dual occupations. An opportunity came to apply for the City of Minneapolis. I took action to apply as a truck driver, also the benefits were good and I had three children to be concerned about. I started out in the Solid Waste Dept. for the City. While there I received three offers to become a automotive repair technician. This opportunity took me straight to top pay-scale(no steps). We were working plenty of over-time, which paid well, there was not a need to have to work overtime anymore. The thing that I liked best about working for this municipality was how it brought new challenges everyday. This occupation is an excellent position to have, because nothing about the work is redundant, it was always something new or a different riddle to be solved. With over a hundred different makes and models, which ranged from emergency response to heavy On & Off Road, to passenger, to the non self-propelled equipment. There is always something going on. My children were returned to their mother and I just continued to work. Working at the City of Mpls, gave me the time I needed to return to school after 21 years. The schedule was flexible enough where I coordinated my classes within my work schedule. I received my AA Degree in May of 2012.My intent is to pursue my BA in HR/Labor Relations. I had been a very active member within the union and volunteered to become a Union Steward. There were Leadership that was required prior to becoming a steward. I took courses on Saturday's at the University of Minnesota. I have only had a few jobs, but the skills that I received from school and work are transferable. I believe that I would be a excellent candidate for this position, because of my education, years of overall technical repair, managerial skills and working with the Union, its' members, and the contractual language that a person would need have an understanding of how that works.

In summary: I possess the qualities that this position calls for, the management, great employee and vendor rapport, administrative skills, inventory knowledge and experience, the technical analyzing; diagnosing, troubleshooting steps, skilled repairs, and IDEAS.
This has been a very rewarding job
CSA 1 311/911 (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 27, 2014
I enjoyed working for the city. Great benefits and very educated people to work with.
data entry
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 13, 2013
i worked this position on a summer season. i had great co-works and great manager ,what i use to do was data entry and manage files.
Professional but fun workplace with great coworkers.
COLLEGE INTERN (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 8, 2013
I had a lot of fun working with this company. Even though we had to keep our job professional, my coworkers and I had a lot of fun laughing and chatting on the job. We even had potlucks every once in a while. My manager was great as well. She didn't mind that we had a little fun just as long as we got our work done. I kind of saw my coworkers and manger as friends. Sometimes we would all take a lunch break together.
Providing sound for musical performances
Sound Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 6, 2013
set up sound
run mixing board
tear down
customer service for local commmunity
Pros
listening to great music
city of mpls
Adminiatrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  mpls,mnAugust 15, 2013
working with human resources filling collating packet together, making coping.
Excellent entry level office assistant experience.
Office Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 6, 2013
This company has opened my eyes to the responsibilities of an office assistant. I really enjoy being able to interact with constituents over the phone and occasionally going out in the community to research different situations or complaints. Being able to network with different offices and being able to communicate with different department has helped me understand the corporate world and the bigger picture.
Pros
fast paced environment, good learning experience
Great place to work at.
Real Estate Analyst, Assessors Department (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisMarch 17, 2013
Great place to work, excellent downtown location, everything is within walking distance, etc but if you drive, parking will cost you an arm and a leg.
Cons
parking will cost you an arm and a leg.
Challenging work place
Project and Public Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 1, 2013
Challenging work place. Work rewarding. However management/leadership need to be educated and held accountable for fairness and respect in the work place. Very unethical environment, employees of color treated differently. Serving the public is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
flexible work schedules
Cons
office morale-environment unhealthy
Productive and exciting workplace
Youth Violence Prevention Executive Committee (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 17, 2012
I really enjoyed working for the City of Minneapolis because everyone there was so kind and I learned alot. There was some challenges but I am a very ambitious person and it made the job more interesting.
Pros
co-workers, my own desk
Cons
air-conditioning
Lots of hands on opportunity for video editing
Video Production Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 24, 2012
I was an intern that got to use Avid editing software as well as work with hi end digital cameras and work on video shoots. The work itself was kind of dull (then again, most video shooting is), but the environment was low key enough so that I was able to get hands on experience with video editing and filming coverage.

4.5