CITY OF MODESTO Employee Reviews in United States

fun place to work
recreation leader lll (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CaJune 9, 2015
a typical day at work would be opening up the city building (key holder) get ready for a busy day . constantly helping children and parents scan membership cards putting memberships into computer. watching the over all view of the center making sure participants are obeying all youth center rules, checking an responding to supervisors emails, decorating office and youth center for holidays an other events. I learned patience working in a fast paced environment was challenging but I accomplished it! management was great always very helpful and fair. my coworkers were the best we grew into a family. the hardest part of my job was definitely making flyers for events or classes. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning all the different duties I was doing I was never just in one spot, I was able to work at other city buildings teaching and helping participants. and loved to see children having fun in my classes. (art, baking, girl time or any other classes I was instructing).
Pros
fun enviorment
Cons
only 5 hr shifts.
great place to work with great people
Administrative Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 26, 2015
Excellent place place to work and great people. Surrounding stores are fun and great places to eat. Everyone offers positive encouragment.
Pros
customers and coworkers
Cons
takes up entire day inside an office setting
Service Worker
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 25, 2014
This place is great to work in. The staff is great and the workload is not heavy. I worked there for about 8 years and I really enjoyed it. The events are really organized and the people holding the events are really nice.
Junior High
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  Modesto,CaDecember 19, 2014
Supervise and provide after school instruction to 70 plus Junior High School Students at La Loma Junior High, perform extracurricular activities in the form of Arts, Science and Math along with sports. Lesson planning for instructional academies geared to promote educational goals for students.
Assisting Students
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 2, 2014
Assisting kids with school work and recreational play. I learned to interact with kids. management was ok. Worked with great people. The hardest part was doing some of there homework, The part that was fun was playing games with them
Pros
breaks, and playing games with the kids
Cons
not enough hrs or money
A wonderful step in the right direction.
Administrative Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 16, 2014
I am learning much needed information regarding current administrative styles and government company structure. I enjoy a professional and warm rapport with management and co workers. I would love to work for the City full time yet I am currently holding a temporary position.
Pros
free bus rides, a foot in the door to work in a government office.
Cons
through a staffing agency so not very secure of a position.
Fun job
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 9, 2014
come in to work, set up for your activity.
set up for check in and snack.
have kids clean up mess and goto homework time for 1hr.
after homework we go right into activities/academy.
after thats over, the students have the option of going to the rec room, outdoor activity, or indoor activity from 5-6
Pros
you get to be a positive influence on young adults' lives
Productive work place with comfortable family culture
Intern (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CaAugust 20, 2014
After working with the City of Modesto I have found that a career in local government is a very rewarding and exciting place to work. co-workers and friendly and everyone is treated as an equal. work load shifts around evenly and even the interns feel a part of the family. If there is ever an opportunity to work here again I would gladly do so.
Pros
good environment; good hours; good location
Cons
n/a
Made an impact
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 5, 2014
Children will always remember how you made them happy. It doesnt take much.
Very sweet coworkers
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 19, 2014
Depending on your function in at the city determines what your typical day is at work.

Most of the co workers are very easy to get along with and want to be at their job.

If working outside, temperature can be hot, windy at various days in the summer.
Pros
community service work
Cons
hours vary
Tutoring children in different age groups
Recreational Leader (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 8, 2014
A typical day would be coming into work early and getting my things ready before I clock in. I would arrange items in my classroom to keep it neat and clean before the children get out of school. My coworkers are always willing to help me clean and set up when I need it. We work great in a team. We communicate with each other carefully and listen to what we each have to say. I tutor the children in all subjects and give them recreational when needed. I have customer service by talking to the children parents. Some parents may have their days but, the key is to be patient and listen to what they have to say. Although the children may be a hand full, knowing that I am their leader and role-model makes me feel very important in their lives. I love what I do and I put my all into it.
Outstanding
Traffic op tech (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 3, 2014
Great place to get your start in a life changing job. Co-workers are great staff an on the job training a plus.
Pros
everything
Cons
very little
city worker
Envionmental Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 20, 2013
i liked to work for the city unfourtunatly this was never to be a full time permanant position.
Great workplace.
Administrative Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CaDecember 4, 2013
I enjoy working with my team. We work hard at processing all the work that is required on time. We work as a team assembling the pieces together.

A typical day at work for me is prioritizing task. I create a check list If needed. If I have a slow work flow I ask my supervisor for work or I find work.

I've learned how to work as a team and work out disagreements.

Since I work part-time - the hardest part of work is having to leave so early, although I have learned time management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is actually being to see results of our work.
Pros
the pros are i have learned a lot during the time i have worked for the city.
Cons
the cons are, since the hiring freeze there isn't a full time position available
Great responsibilities, good pay
Recording Secretary for the PC and BZA (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CaOctober 23, 2013
Providing great service to internal and external customers was my number one priority! Great people.
Learned a lot about local Government, Urban Forestry and how important it is to attend your bargaining unit meetings!!
A great place to work.
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CaFebruary 14, 2013
The City took pride in it's parks and athletic facilities and I was proud to be a part of the team responsible for the upkeep. Great people, great leadership and good opportunity for advancement. Loved working outdoors in California.
Pros
great training and advancement opportunities
Working with the public constantly.
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 3, 2013
I would collect tickets and take payments for parking. Manager at the time was not the best. It has been quite a while since I have been there so I don't think he is there anymore. I enjoyed the public interaction that came with the job.
The company was a place for advancement.
Manager of Budget and Financial Analysis (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 24, 2012
I first started as an account clerk and when up the corporate ladder to manager of budget and financial analysis. The agency gave me the opportunity to implement the software programs for accounting, payroll, fixed assets. I also created budgeting and salary projection on excel and access. I had the opportunity to completely revamp the Capital Improvement program which was awarded excellence in budgeting by GFOA and CSMFO.
active and fun job
recreation leader (Former Employee) –  modesto, CAOctober 3, 2012
I had great co workers who worked as a team. I enjoyed playing the kids and teaching them. the hardest part of the job was moving school sites and the best part was the kids laughter and creativity.
Cons
not enough hours
City
Customer Services Account Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 9, 2012
They don't cover ortho. If you have a family the cost of health insurance is a joke

CITY OF MODESTO Reviews by Location