City of New Haven Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Custodian (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutApril 26, 2017
I would strip and waxs floors in the summer and clean schools winter, summer, and fall. I also cleaned bathrooms and grounds while preforming other maintenance duties.
Job Summary
Business Manager\Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 22, 2017
My daily routine is as follows: I have two offices one office is in the Budget Office where I assume the duties of a Financial Analyst. I put together the City's Five Year Capital Spending Plan. My other main function is doing expenditure forecasting for the City on a long term basis.

I also have an Office in The New Haven Public Library. I am the Business Manager for the City's five branch library system. I am in charge if Procurement, Payroll, Budget, Treasury and Facilities Management.

So my time is split in between these two major functions for the City.
productive
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 7, 2017
i enjoyed working at these company only wish i could have been permanent. management was great enjoyed working for them. the time was flexible. the work was challenging
Pros
birthdays had off with pay
Cons
short breaks
No Room for advancement
Fiscal (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 17, 2017
Unless you move to another Department or Change job titles there is absolutely no room for advancement.
-If you are a special Funds employee you have no pension.
Extra ordinary work place with great comand staff.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 10, 2017
Amazing learning experience with incredible staff that go above and beyond to ensure everyone's success. A company that strives on education for the betterment of the future.
Pros
Education
Cons
unexpected long hours
Academic Coordinator in a learning lab
Academic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTNovember 2, 2016
Typical day involves working with students who come into the learning lab in need of extra help with any subject or to have a quiet space to take a test and to be focused on their tasks. Usually no more than 10 students come to the learning lab a day. The High School where I am currently working has four different academies. The Business and Fine Arts academy is the academy that I work for, and part of my responsibility is to make sure that the students in the BFA academy are on track to having a successful school year. Other responsibilities are to remain in contact with the Assistant Principal for the academy as well as the Student Intervention Specialist and the guidance counselors to make sure that we are all on the same page with regards to our students. The hardest part is bringing the students into the learning lab. It was a very slow start in the beginning of the year and the pace has been picking up. To stay busy, I have created a spreadsheet for the Asst. Principal of the academy showing the students who need to build up their credits, and students who are in ninth grade who are failing more than three classes. The data shows what we need to work on as a team to better guide our students in the right direction.
Pros
Relationships and alliance being built with students.
Cons
only a part-time job; not very challenging
They have a staying alive program
Parks and Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 12, 2016
The program was about keeping people alive and we have luncheon also.Every body got along well. Never any conflicts.We worked and got the tasks done.
Pros
We have to buy our own lunch
Cons
30 minutes
Very productive atmosphere
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 7, 2016
- Cleaning up each street.
- I've learned structure of a team.
- Met a lot of influential people.
- Keeping the streets the way we left them
- the learning expierence
Pros
Free lunches, Extra lunch, and Decent breaks
Cons
Job ended to early!
fun and productive work enviroment
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 12, 2016
take attendance
give out daily assignments
supervise team
prepare power points
distribute cash for purchase of inventory
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short program
It was an ok place to work
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 16, 2015
My only enjoyable part of work with CAA was being able to help the community. I enjoyed being a Case Worker but the staff at times weren't too friendly. I learned to have lots of patience working in an environment like CAA.
Fair, once you understand bureaucracy
multiple positions (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 9, 2015
Demanding, as are all government positions, but fair. Must understand how bureaucracy works and be patient with multiple layers of red tape.
Produtive workplace
Lunch Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 31, 2014
Nice and full of enjoyment. I learned about what the students like to eat and don't like to eat .The management is really nice . My co-workers and I work very well together. There is nothing really hard about the job. The most part I enjoy is to see the students happy.
Pros
Free lunches, The students get a choice of what they want to eat.
Cons
Not enough time with the students.
Very good work environment and staff
PEO - PARKING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CT.July 17, 2014
Job was 9 to 5 , sometimes overtime was available. Worked under all weather conditions. Walked for about 8 hours a day and very customer service oriented. Hardest part of the job, trying to please the public. Management was always available when needed even in emergency situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers worked well together and also enjoyed working alone most of the time.
I worked with special needs children
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 17, 2014
This job is only a seasonal job that does not allow for advancement in position. However this job was stressful due to the nature of the clients. My manager was pleasant.
Pros
Free ride to work
Cons
Seasonal job
Great Educational Experience
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 8, 2014
The typical day working as a teacher's assistant at Hillhouse High School was very educational. The Teacher taught on the subject "The Real Game" which would go into depth about real life situation. She taught of budgeting, career planning, paying bills, resume writing, and many other subjects related to real life. I would pass out and collect all classwork and take the class to lunch.

The hardest part of the job was to wake up so early to get to work.

The most enjoyable part was educating teens (13-17) on things they really will need to know and utilize.
Pros
free lunches & free education
Cons
first thing in the a.m.
No retirement benefits for hundreds of employees.
Architect/Project Manager (School Construction) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 18, 2014
Pros – A well-educated, diverse workforce and committed, dedicated colleagues.

Cons – Hundreds of full-time unionized employees have no retirement benefits (no pension and no match). State and federal grants pay to fund benefits that are not provided to the workers. Surplus grant funds are then used to fatten the City General Fund, keeping the mill rate artificially low (48% lower than Hartford). Decisions about who is covered by the pension plan are sometimes arbitrary. Some employees are misclassified as Special Fund employees and are denied retirement benefits, even though their positions are funded in the General Fund budget. The City reimburses itself for General Fund payroll through municipal bonds, and then treats the affected employees as if they were funded by grants. The unions collude with the City on these decisions, to the detriment of the workers. There are no career paths, no promotions, no advancement through the salary step table, and no training or professional development. There are no employee performance reviews, and performance is not rewarded. If you speak out to correct injustice, you risk layoff.

Advice to Senior Management: Provide good jobs with good benefits and opportunities for advancement. Provide the benefits that the grants pay you to provide. Perform and ethical self-examination.
Enjoyed working here!
Public Information Officer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 7, 2014
Write speeches, gather information from other departments, write news releases, conduct press conferences, and serve as the spokesperson for the city.

The hardest part of the job was getting the information in time to get my job done.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and for.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
No job security
ok place to work
former employee (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 29, 2013
Hard to move up, glass ceiling is always up only family members are promoted. A lot of favoritism, political games and unhappy employees.
Good city and good people,to work for.
Protective Service Officer Firefighter (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 4, 2013
Valuble on the job traing
Valuble information from the job,have used some info off the job.
Excellent co-workers ,like a family
Hardest part of job fighting fires and trying to save lives.
When the fire is over and the people are safe.
Pros
Working with people that have to work together, to make it work
Cons
Fighting a fire in the middle ofa freezing winter at 1:00am in the morning
Easy-going but demanding
Clerk Typist I (Comprehensive Arts Department) (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 14, 2013
I spend most days on the computer corresponding through email
I have obtained a wealth of knowledge from the various department I worked in
I work well with management
Most of my co-workers are great to work with
Working for multiple departments
I don't work weekends
Pros
I work in an office by myself, it's peaceful, I am able to listen to gospel music
Cons
No room for advancement or promotions, limited and low pay increases

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of New Haven. Our community is ready to answer.

City of New Haven Reviews by Location