City of New Haven Employee Reviews in United States

fun and productive work enviroment
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 12, 2016
take attendance
give out daily assignments
supervise team
prepare power points
distribute cash for purchase of inventory
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short program
Fair, once you understand bureaucracy
multiple positions (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTSeptember 9, 2015
Demanding, as are all government positions, but fair. Must understand how bureaucracy works and be patient with multiple layers of red tape.
Produtive workplace
Lunch Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 31, 2014
Nice and full of enjoyment. I learned about what the students like to eat and don't like to eat .The management is really nice . My co-workers and I work very well together. There is nothing really hard about the job. The most part I enjoy is to see the students happy.
Pros
free lunches, the students get a choice of what they want to eat.
Cons
not enough time with the students.
Very good work environment and staff
PEO - PARKING ENFORCEMENT OFFICER (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CT.July 17, 2014
Job was 9 to 5 , sometimes overtime was available. Worked under all weather conditions. Walked for about 8 hours a day and very customer service oriented. Hardest part of the job, trying to please the public. Management was always available when needed even in emergency situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was my co-workers worked well together and also enjoyed working alone most of the time.
I worked with special needs children
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 17, 2014
This job is only a seasonal job that does not allow for advancement in position. However this job was stressful due to the nature of the clients. My manager was pleasant.
Pros
free ride to work
Cons
seasonal job
Great Educational Experience
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 8, 2014
The typical day working as a teacher's assistant at Hillhouse High School was very educational. The Teacher taught on the subject "The Real Game" which would go into depth about real life situation. She taught of budgeting, career planning, paying bills, resume writing, and many other subjects related to real life. I would pass out and collect all classwork and take the class to lunch.

The hardest part of the job was to wake up so early to get to work.

The most enjoyable part was educating teens (13-17) on things they really will need to know and utilize.
Pros
free lunches & free education
Cons
first thing in the a.m.
No retirement benefits for hundreds of employees.
Architect/Project Manager (School Construction) (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTApril 18, 2014
Pros – A well-educated, diverse workforce and committed, dedicated colleagues.

Cons – Hundreds of full-time unionized employees have no retirement benefits (no pension and no match). State and federal grants pay to fund benefits that are not provided to the workers. Surplus grant funds are then used to fatten the City General Fund, keeping the mill rate artificially low (48% lower than Hartford). Decisions about who is covered by the pension plan are sometimes arbitrary. Some employees are misclassified as Special Fund employees and are denied retirement benefits, even though their positions are funded in the General Fund budget. The City reimburses itself for General Fund payroll through municipal bonds, and then treats the affected employees as if they were funded by grants. The unions collude with the City on these decisions, to the detriment of the workers. There are no career paths, no promotions, no advancement through the salary step table, and no training or professional development. There are no employee performance reviews, and performance is not rewarded. If you speak out to correct injustice, you risk layoff.

Advice to Senior Management: Provide good jobs with good benefits and opportunities for advancement. Provide the benefits that the grants pay you to provide. Perform and ethical self-examination.
Enjoyed working here!
Public Information Officer (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 7, 2014
Write speeches, gather information from other departments, write news releases, conduct press conferences, and serve as the spokesperson for the city.

The hardest part of the job was getting the information in time to get my job done.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and for.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
no job security
ok place to work
former employee (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTOctober 29, 2013
Hard to move up, glass ceiling is always up only family members are promoted. A lot of favoritism, political games and unhappy employees.
Good city and good people,to work for.
Protective Service Officer Firefighter (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJuly 4, 2013
Valuble on the job traing
Valuble information from the job,have used some info off the job.
Excellent co-workers ,like a family
Hardest part of job fighting fires and trying to save lives.
When the fire is over and the people are safe.
Pros
working with people that have to work together, to make it work
Cons
fighting a fire in the middle ofa freezing winter at 1:00am in the morning
Easy-going but demanding
Clerk Typist I (Comprehensive Arts Department) (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTJune 14, 2013
I spend most days on the computer corresponding through email
I have obtained a wealth of knowledge from the various department I worked in
I work well with management
Most of my co-workers are great to work with
Working for multiple departments
I don't work weekends
Pros
i work in an office by myself, it's peaceful, i am able to listen to gospel music
Cons
no room for advancement or promotions, limited and low pay increases
Overwhelming Atmosphere
Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMarch 11, 2013
It is a great place to meet people, but there is no growth in the department where I work. I adore my co-workers, but management needs help.
A very diverse and lucrative atmosphere.
Public Health Nurse (Current Employee) –  New HavenFebruary 26, 2013
Interactions from persons from all over the world, learning and appreciating each others cultural difference and similarities.
Once a great place to work!
Mgt & Prof Union Worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 13, 2013
Working for a municipality was exceptional in the beginning and thru the 1990s. However, budgetary restraints affected the workforce into the 21st century causing inadequate staffing, extremely heavy workloads and total disregard for staff morale. Departments were merged and long-term employees were forced into retirement, thereby creating an extremely unprofessional, unskilled working environment.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
unavailability of supervisors, management
Depend on the office your in but productive
ASSESSMENT INFORMATION CLERK (Current Employee) –  NEW HAVENAugust 15, 2012
I have been on my job for 24 yrs and I have some problems with lack of communication among us. Other than that I am good with my co-workers.
Pros
time can be flexible
Cons
when there is lack of communication
fun alot to do and entertaining
youth worker (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTAugust 6, 2012
typical day at work would be play with the kids teach them to read or write play sports and games then as they sleep clean up and make lunch.my co workers loved the job as much as i did and we all got along.
Fun workable atmostphere
Paid Intern (Current Employee) –  New Haven, CTMay 8, 2012
A typical day is being glued to the compter. I've learned alot for this office. I learned the different terms and coding. The manager is very hard working. She is one of the best people you could work for. My co-workers are a blast to work with. They make the office fun to be in. The atmostphere is the best part of my job. Its a joy to work here.
Productive place to work, very fast paced and relaxing environment.
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 12, 2012
The company was a very exciting place to work for. I never knew how the processed ever worked for processing a birth certificate until I started working at Vital Statistics.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
no healthcare benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of New Haven. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3