City of New York Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Deputy Director, Facilities (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 1, 2017
Nice place to work , fast paced but has many union employees who are stuck in the past.
The new technology and education and training provided will definitely help.
it was boring
supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
i didnt like the environment. too many unprofessional people. no room for growth. it was very slow at times. lack of interest. just worked there to recieve a pay check honestly
Fun for me
Custodian (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
Work for the City of NY was a great experiance. You learn on different levels from the people you work with and also the people you work around. Security, administrative workers..ect.
Benefits
Cons
Short break
Very Exciting and fullfilling
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2017
I enjoyed my work environment and my co-workers/supervisors a great deal. I valued the discipline and structure that was part of the experience at this job.
Pros
Structure and discipline
Ok to work at
Database Consultant (Former Employee) –  NYAugust 10, 2017
Wokrload is very high. Culture is ok. Worked as consultant providing support for development/production systems and POC on different cloud architectures
A good career
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2017
It's a good place to break into the industry of your choice and work your way up the proverbial food chain. Can be highly competitive at times, other times not so much.
Friendly and productive
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 2, 2017
As supervisor my day consisted of overseeing workers. Assure work is being produced with excellent quality in a timely pace. Ensure that all clients leave feeling their purpose has been fulfilled and their request granted. At times dealing with unhappy clients who become hostile at times. This requires that I take over the interviews and conduct the interview so that the client is satisfied. I enjoyed my job because I had a group of workers under my supervision that conducted themselves in the professional manner required.
Pros
advancement opportunities
Cons
wages
Very stressful and no room for growth
Job Opportunity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 23, 2017
Upon accepting the job position , I was egar to help people in need. The job became stressful. Co workers are burnt out and there isnt any team work. The city of new york offers great benefits for families. Transit check and pensions. It would be a great company if there were room for growth and educational advancement assistance.
Pros
Benefits and flexible schedule
Cons
N/a
Dynamic environment
Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 28, 2017
Providing SNAP benefits to applicants across the five boroughs is a tumultuous task considering the limited and or antiquated resources, consistent changes to intently increase efficiency not working properly and a low morale amongst staff who feel overworked, underpaid with little or no recognition.

It takes a people person like myself to understand these dynamics, separate the truth from the heresy, and recreate a culture that best suites the goals of the Agency as well as the staff. It is doable.

Leadership changes often which in turn changes the course towards established goals abruptly, all the while attempting to maintain standards and efficient outcomes on the case determination.

A manager in this role must wear several hats to mobile the motivation, of staff and reflect it within the measured stats.
Pros
Unlimited overtime
Cons
Poor IT system
Worked with many wonderful people over the years.
Principal Administrative Associate II (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 21, 2017
A typical day would consist of helping my immediate boss with numerous tasks depending or which position I help over my 25 years of service with DEP. I worked with many wonderful people who I still call friends.
Pros
the people
A day in the life of a NYC detective
Detective, N.Y.P.D. Grand Larceny Division / FCTF (Former Employee) –  Joint Cyber Task ForceJune 20, 2017
Drive in to work, fight for parking and pray you don't get a summons or towed. Deal with a schizophrenic supervisor who changes their mood and direction daily, if not hourly. Balance case load and collars.

The money and benefits are great, but sometimes not worth the headache...
Pros
salary, benefits, early retirement
Cons
too much supervision from different levels.
It's a good work place with lot of people
QA Quality Automation Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
I enjoyed working here. It is a competitive work environment and I did learn a lot of new things. The hardest part to me in New York is the cold wind in winter.
Very professional
Project Manager / Technical Architect (Current Employee) –  LIC NYJune 13, 2017
Enjoyed 6 years at DDC, very challenging and rewarding. Very professional and cooperative. Implemented a Capital Construction Management system throughout DDC replacing 8 desperate systems.

System was deployed in 16 months for their two divisions Infrastructure and Public Buildings
Motor Vehicle Operator (Current Employee) –  Springfield Gardens, NYJune 7, 2017
Great work enviroment. The culture is very professional. Everyone gets along and are there for you when extra help is needed. Would reccommend others to apply.
Great Place to Work
Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 31, 2017
The city is filled with hard workers who do what they do because they love what they do. It isn't always easy, but these civil servants do their jobs with kindness and professionalism. Always.
fair but biased
Porter Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2017
you can worker than every body and they still will look over you to the friend or a close family member ultimately if it wasn't for benefits I wouldn't have stayed.
Cons
sho
City Jobs
Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2017
City jobs can be stressful. At times there is no room to take a break during the day because of all the work that needs to be done, but at the end of the day, it can be rewarding. There is some flexibility with schedules, but at times Saturdays and Sundays there is work.
great job to have. it has great benefits, one of the best if not the best unions with DC37 and plenty of chances for advancement and growth
Clerical Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2017
typical work day is 9am to 5pm. depending on your position determines your work load. you have plenty of opportunity for career growth and advancement in whatever field you qualified to work in.They have easy access locations spread out throughout the NYC metropolitan area
Pros
career growth and graet benefits
Cons
none really
Great Colleagues, Great Principal, Terrible Central Office Staff
Bilingual Teacher (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYApril 17, 2017
Wonderful School to work at. Great colleagues who are excited to collaborate. Easygoing staff and administration (Principal is fantastic!), but Dept of. Ed Central Staff are not effective.
Proficient
Retired firefighter (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 17, 2017
Loved working for the city , did everything from fighting fires to getting cats out of tree's . Dealt with the public , try to make their life easier . Loved my job
Pros
Helping