City of Norfolk Employee Reviews

Employees are great
Human Resources Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 11, 2016
I enjoyed working with the team I work with for the most part. However, management team is another story and there is lack of communication. The people who are actually doing the work are the ones that get the least money. Overall it is not a bad place to work if you know the right people in the right places.
Pros
The employees
Cons
The salaries
Productive environment always room for advancement
Recreational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 8, 2015
Wonderful work environment. and working with the City one must always abides by policy and procedures therefore leading to growth and knowledge that can only advance ones journey up the corporate ladder.
Fun and Energetic workplace
Dance Instructor and Choreographer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 4, 2015
A typical work day would look like, saying hello to my manager, checking my mailbox, and looking at my teaching syllabus for the say. Then I would greet the students at the door as they come in. I start class with a check in with each of my students in a circle (this helps to get all the talking out and telling me about their days in the middle of class. Mainly for the little ones). Then we would stretch, depending the age group and class, we would begin our warm ups and barre. Then we would go to the teaching portion of class where students would learn fundamental dance skills through combinations and drills. Lastly we would end with a short combination combining the skills that were learnt during class. I would have my little ones line up at the door and when they were quiet, I would have them show me something that they are working on (plie, positions etc.) so that they could be permitted to leave. For the older students, I would give them instructions on what to continue working on at home. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the lightbulbs and excitement go off when a students who has been fighting to get a step down, finally gets it. To see the growth in students is the most rewarding thing and the reason why I am here. To ignite their passion for dance in new, fun, and creative ways.
Productive Place to work
Public Safety Telecommunicator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 9, 2015
Overall we work as a team to give the citizens of Norfolk the help and service they need in a timely manner. We also give advice and the guidance the citizen need and direct them to the proper people.
Good Place
Utility Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2015
Great place to work. Great benefits and great work / life balance. schedule doesn't really change. Will always have the same work schedule.
Very busy always had work.
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2015
Good place to work with a wonderful manager,working there i learned about how important it is to have life insurance. It wasn't about numbers it was about helping family's and caring about other people and not just yourself. It was very educational to me in and out of the fields. I always loved customer service work, cause i care about making changes in other's life.
Pros
Loved that job!
Cons
Only was part-time
SOCIAL SERVICES
Benefits Specialist II (Current Employee) –  NORFOLK, VASeptember 21, 2015
THE BEST PLACE TO LEARN HOW BENEFITS ARE ADMINISTERD TO GENERAL PUBLIC. THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB IS NOT BEING ABLE TO HELP THOSE PERSONS THAT DON'T MEET CRITERIA. THE BEST PART IS BEING ABLE TO MEET AND COMMUNICATE WITH PEOPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE.
Pros
ABILITY TO HELP OTHERS
Cons
CAN BE OVERWHELMING
Productive and rewarding placeto work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2015
I enjoyed working their very much co workers were great. Learned how to be sympathetic to the needs of others. Management was great. The hardest part of the job was leaving m temporary position. the most enjoyable part of the job was helping others.
Pros
Fun.exciting, rewarding, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Temporay position
great learning opportunities
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 26, 2015
I love volunteering for the city. They are helpful and understanding. I love working with people and their resumes and helping them with applications.
Pros
friendly customers
Cons
i dont get paid
EOC
Telecommunication II (Former Employee) –  EOCJuly 27, 2015
Typical day in EmergencyTelecommunications, rotation shifts, high stress. Management needs to be more balanced out and the people who run the center should have knowledge of what is done on a minute to minute basis. Hardest part of the job is usually not knowing the outcome of a situation you are in constant fight or flight mode.
Substance abuse treatment
Clinician I (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 2, 2015
I work with substance abuse clients in a crisis stabilization unit. Clients get short term treatment for their co-occuring issues.
Nice place to work
Water Treatment Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 10, 2015
The best part of the job was the moral of the co workers and being able to work well with other workers in management. I learned to work with others in a team invironment
Pros
Great retirement plan
City of Norfolk
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 14, 2015
While employed with the City of Norfolk through the Norfolk Emerging Leaders program, I gained valuable work experience during the summer. I enjoyed the versatility of the program.
Work life balance
Accountant IV (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Amazing place with work at. Team spirit and work life balace to ensure the highest level of productivity. I enjoy working on the financial statements and seeing the end of it, that is when the CAFR is issued.
Pros
amazing team
Cons
under-staffed
Comfortable work enviroment
Library Computer Aide (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VirginiaJanuary 12, 2015
Although the position could be fast paced at times. This position is suited more for retired people and college students. Management and Co-workers were a dream.
Pros
steady schedule, co-workers, understanding management
Cons
limited forward mobility, repetetive, and at times boring
Great Place to Work
I.T. Project Manager (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 14, 2014
Senior Management trusts and empowers project managers to perform their jobs. My role interfaced with network engineers, CIO, Program Managers, vendors, and contractors.
NA
Human Services Aide (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 12, 2014
The City of Norfolk is an okay place to work. Certianly looking for something better.
a great place to work
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 20, 2014
i loved working for the city of Norfolk just wish they paid more
Pros
great work enviorment
Cons
pay
I have had the pleasure and ongoing experience of working with stellar people, both coworkers and taxpayers.
Commissioner of the Revenue (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 17, 2014
My husband works out of Sanford and the commuting has become difficult. I am looking to relocate to North Carolina perferably with involvement in fiduciary taxes, business licenses, assessments and or tax compliance.
Pros
too many to speak of.
Cons
can't think of any.
Typical city job
Full time Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 9, 2014
I worked here for 7 years and used my CPR/AED and First Aid certifications in other parts of my life. I was able to work directly with the police and Fire Department, which taught me a lot about public safety and safety in the work place. However, I did not always work with team players and had trouble with the laziness of some of my co workers.
Pros
free updates on my cpr certification
Cons
management hierarchy was a little disheartening.