City of Norfolk Employee Reviews

Great working enviorment
Behavior Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 15, 2017
No complaints, nice place to work. Monitor safety rounds for consumers. Responds to and report any incidents and activities during the shift. Complete required program forms including property sheets for new consumers. Ensures the human rights of all consumers and confidentiality of all consumers records. Performs emergency interventions as needed and as specified in the program manual. Leads therapeutic craft/art/game sessions as needed and document accordingly, in accordance with program schedules. Participates in ensuring the units up keep. Monitor consumers between groups. Transports and accompanies consumers to various destinations and programs. Provides recordkeeping, tracking, and reporting of drug testing services.
the office can be very busy and times so you learn how to multi task. other times when it is slow we can catch up on emails, faxes, CO's
Permit Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 20, 2017
My typical day at work is processing permits for contractors that come into our office and permits that are faxed over. Type CO's when we receive all information and email them to contractors. Talk to contractor and home owners on phone. Also take cash,credit card and checks for permits. Balance my drawer and end of day and will make sure deposit is done and correct when sent over to state treasury office. Help contractors and homeowners with questions in reference to permits.
I
Pros
most of contractors are great to work with. I like dealing with people in person and on the phone
Cons
no advancement
Enjoyed my work well suited to it
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 17, 2017
A lot of noisy, gossipy people. Will always try to interfere with your work and your productivity if you don't tell them all of your business right away.
If you come to work to work not just socialize you will not be accepted, and no what your supervisor wants to talk about appropriate or not--look out you will have to listen; including about her stomach problems

Management will retaliate. Its like working in a mine field
fun place to work, great staff and management
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 10, 2017
I opened and created accounts for customers as well as submitted work orders when there were complaints. I setup payment schedules and took payments. The management was excellent and very willing to work with me as well as help solve any issues I may have had. The hardest part of this job was trying to please every customer I came in contact with. I did my best to appease them as much as I could within my limits. The easiest part of working here was working for a great company. Management and other staff were absolutely delightful to work with.
Pros
great staff, great work environment
Cons
no health benefits
management
POLICE OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Park Place, VAJune 21, 2017
Based on my experience as a police officer, the higher ups as the LT, Cpt, Chiefs. They know longer have your back and stand up for there men who are out there trying to make the city a better place. They want you to not be a police officer and arrest people. They want you to shake hands with everyone and, and just be visible but not preform your duties.
Pros
you are your own boss as a cop
Cons
the brass dosnt have your back. leave you out to dry.
fast paced job with lot of learning
Senior Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 18, 2017
work week was tues thru friday each day was different with different part of the city to have they refuse collected on the the day of the week some residents scheduled the big items to be collected by boom truck larger truck with hydraulic claw and dump truck we worked in all types of weather i learned to how to operate all trucks on the yard. i think the hardest part at first was learning the route but once you learned it was breeze to get the route up i enjoyed eating lunch at different restaurants each day
Pros
work boots provided by the company
Cons
sometimes getting soaked with rain or trash can juice
Great job
Staff Technician II (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 11, 2017
8am to 4pm
CDBG and HOME processes
Management very good
Excellent workplace culture
The hardest part of job - nothing
The people, work and overall work environment
Pros
Flexibility
Police Work
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, Va.May 18, 2017
From patrol to various divisions I honed my skills on problem solving.
Learned Data Forensic Recovery as a tool to find erased or hidden data. Was instrumental in creating the departments Data Forensic Unit.
Fun Job
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 4, 2017
Enjoyed this job. I collected payments form patrons entering and exiting the parking facilities. We offered directions, security and were responsible for completing incident reports if any problems occurred.
City Culture
Network Engineer III (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 19, 2017
The overall workplace is always busy. Employees are not rewarded or otherwise recognized for their accomplishments, moral is at all time low for all engineers due to lack of support from management and no financial benefits.
Pros
Usally seen as a stable work place no concerns about work force reductions(R.I.F)
Cons
No way to acheive upward mobility and no salary increases.

Want to know more about City of Norfolk?

Ask a question
Stressful
Software Analyst (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 10, 2017
A typical day at work was very stressful since it was always the customer first before everything else. Required long days at time even early morning at times.
its a fun work place but pay is not worth it
Parking division (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 8, 2017
I like work for them but pay needs to increase with all the weather you are out in and customers that are rude and nasty.Also you can if you win up on it can get tickets to games or shows.
Pros
will work around any other job /school
Cons
more pay
great places to work
Recreational Aide (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 5, 2017
I mentored kids coach football and basketball teach boys and girls how to become young men and women I work hand in hand with some wonderful people that cared for the kids and parents.
Pros
Free lunches and breakfast
Cons
not alot of resorces
It's a job
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 11, 2016
Lowest paid municipal city in Hampton Roads. Little to no room for advancement, unless you're apart of the "clique". Employees are forced to work with faulty, inadequate, mostly inoperable equipment, due to the lack of budget. Not to mention the severe rodent/pest issue. Millons of dollars spent on the HRT LightRail, but can't get rid of the cockroaches and mice in the office. Moving on, most departments are ran like communist dictatorships, with little to no concern about the employees quality of life. Save yourself, DON'T WORK for the City Of Norfolk.
Pros
Fellowship between coworkers. Coworkers have to stick together, because no else will back you.
Cons
Pay, horrible work environment/work conditions, little to no room for advancement. The list is endless, but I'll stop here for now.
Poor work environment
Senior Account Technician (Former Employee) –  City HallDecember 9, 2016
Often hostile, competitive and biased towards personal beliefs. Not a wonderful environment at my time of employment for working mothers. Teams change with every new upper management making it hard to grow a support system.
Fair pay, for a fair day's work.
Forester (Former Employee) –  143 East StreetOctober 13, 2016
Working for the city was an overall fun experience. The pay was good for starting out and the people were fun to be around. The summer heat might draw you away, but other than that, it was a good job.
Amazing place with amazing people
Public Safety Intern (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 23, 2016
This place is amazing filled with amazing individuals filled with knowledge and so much experience. There is always something new and always new opportunities to learn and grow as a persona and professional
Very rewarding expeireince helping others out.
Towing, Refuse Collector (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2016
Currently I'm working in the Towing and Recovery division with Public Works due to the slack of employees. My main job was driving a Back Loading refuse truck picking up yard waste and debris from trees. Since I've been there I have received awards such as Dare To Be Great! which was awarded to me for helping out toddlers when they had got out of there house while their mothers was still asleep. I try my best to put help out others.
Pros
Helping out in the Community
Cons
Pay and Advancemant is not good.
The job was more professional
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 19, 2016
I learned a lot from this job, especially about financial aid. The co-workers were easy to get along with. It;s a behind the desk job, so it's more relaxing.
Pros
behind the desk job
Cons
only can work certain hours
My job was only for three months.
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 2, 2016
My experience there could have been better if a had the help that I needed. The job was very stressful because I did not have the help I needed. The last teacher just give the students grades; without doing the work.