City of Norfolk

City of Norfolk Employer Reviews

productive and fun work environmet
Office Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2014
A typical day at the office for me was running the front desk and assisting the office manager. I learned how a small office is ran and how to deal with teens. I enjoyed planning events and working hands on with teens. We had a great team that was always there for one another which made my job a very pleasant and enjoyable experience.
Worked in the Library
Computer Aide (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 19, 2014
When the main branch was moved due to the light rail system the city put us into an old building. The computers where in the basement of the building. We ended up being baby sitter for the homeless population. I enjoyed it for the most part but it was mainly for high school/college students. I believe my position does not exist anymore.
Hard worker, reliable and dependable
Flex Team Ambassador (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 13, 2014
i get along well with others, work well with no supervision, I love working with others and get along well with others, work good under stress, complete all task to the best of my ability
Challenging and rewarding work
Division Head of Business Services (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2014
There is no typical day in the Recreation Division of Business Services. My day ranges from payroll to accounting to budgeting to presentation to problem solving to data extraction to recreational programming issues.

My team is customer service focused and our primary mission is to provide factual information with outstanding customer service skills.

Although – more... I like my job, I love doing budget formulation, execution and management that helps an company/organization maximize it revenue potential and minimize its expenditure exposure. – less
Fun work environment
Recreation Aide (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 22, 2014
· Incorporated programs and activities for youth between the ages of 5-17.
· Facilitated female only prevention programs for troubled teenage population dealing with issues such as drugs, peer pressure, and many other things teens are faced with.
· Administered personal, social and academic counseling.
· Organized weekly statistics for monthly reports.
· – more... Answered telephones, took messages, responded to inquiries by phone and e-mail, and provided comprehensive secretarial and clerical support to center staff and management.
· Greeted visitors, conducted tours as needed, provided basic information to visitors. – less
City of Norfolk
Finance Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 13, 2014
Great place to work, enjoyed all aspects learned a lot.. It was time to retire and take up another career.
Awesome place to work
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 8, 2014
Pros: teamwork, moral, and training/education.
Cons: pay, working conditions vary but overall still good, respect comes with job most of the time, and the overall job itself!
A typical day a work is knowing that you come to a place where the employees focus on personal development (education and classes that help them better themselves as a Deputy). What I learned is that you have to be on your Ps and Qs because if not that could be your life. Management of course cared a lot for not only the staff but making sure that the – more... inmates who were unruly were given the necessary punishment. The hardest part of the job for me was transferring to another department because of the pay. The most enjoying part of the job for me was training. – less
ok
Police Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 27, 2014
It was ok. Low salary as the city is struggling for money. Jobs are always available as a result.
No comment.
Retired from the City of Norfolk (Former Employee), Retired from the City of NorfolkMarch 5, 2014
A very good working environment. Administrative work. Senior Management work. Co-workers excellent. Enjoyed work, and all of the challenges. Most enjoyable area of the job - the guests, the staff, and the members of the board.
Productive and close to home.
Equipment Operator II (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2014
I have learned alot in my 2 and a half years with the City of Norfolk. A typical day is laid back until you have to deal with management.
Love the Security
Accounting Tech- Accountant I Work Performance (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: great parking
Cons: would like to get a yearly raise to go with the rising cost to live.
Nice having the security but want to learn more. My co-workers are great . Mangers well lets just say all are different, not all work on same page. The hardest part is because of my work ethics I get asked to perform more work each year and don't get compensated for it.
Productive and detailed environment
Support Technician (Current Employee), NorfolkDecember 4, 2013
I like everything about the city the pay and everything. The job is exciting.
Excellent for beginning law enforcement
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 22, 2013
Very irrating to work swing shifts. Down played home life as if it was not important enough.
Working for the City of Norfolk for three and a half years was a great opportunity and after awhile I needed a change, so I left in April 2013.
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 15, 2013
Pros: i could swim & work out in the gym during my lunch breaks or after my work shifts for free.
Cons: short breaks, healthcare not provided to pt workers even though they'd work ft hours, favoritism/poor management, not paid for sick days, weren't aloud to get off of work when needed, shift covers were hard to find, had to work over hours per week, only had certain hours we could work per year which limited our hours each week/month.
A typical day at work consisted of a 6-8 hour shift, if not less, in the heat up in a lifeguard chair for an hour. The winters weren't as harsh as the summer temperatures were. Some co-workers were easy to work with and some were not. I was one of the dependable employees since I worked the opening shift at 6 am every morning. I learned new skills such – more... as CPR, AED, First Aid and how to be a Water Safety Instructor in 2012/2013. Management could be good at times, but there were times that there was too much favoritism in the work place and sometimes management wasn't there when we needed them or some employees concerns weren't always listened to to the full extent. The hardest part of this job was working in the heat every day, staying in mental and physical shape for the requirements for the job. The most enjoyable part about having this lifeguarding job was that I could swim before, during or after work because I loved swimming so much. But after awhile, being around the pool so much made me just want to go home after work each day and not swim as much as I used to. I was always tired when I got home from work each day when I came home to my family. – less
Wonderful Place to work
BENEFITS PROGRAM SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 10, 2013
Wonderful Place to work. Management and co-workers were outstanding team players.
Very organized and relaxed place to work
Receptionist (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 25, 2013
During the work hours that I am working at the Retirement office I am very relaxed and comfortable around my employees. That atmosphere is very calm and organized. My manager has a very good approach within herself and displayed throughout the job.
good workplace
laborer (Current Employee), Virginia Beach, VASeptember 23, 2013
temp service finds work fast. Never a lay off for a long time. Very good work environment
Good Review
Day Laborer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 13, 2013
Gained valuable expierence while employed with the city of Norfolk.
Free membership for employees after 30 day probation
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: free membership for employee
Cons: two many supervisors not all on the same page
Wonderful place to work if you are a student... the Virginia Zoo have hours that work around your school schedule. Downfall are having to work on every event that the zoo have.... bummer!
Glad I dont work here anymore.
Computer Aide (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 8, 2013
Cons: staff, hours and work
This is an okay job for someone looking for work. Otherwise I would do something else. I was hired as Computer Aide but they made to take on two jobs (Coputer Aide and Library Aide).

1 2 3