City of Norfolk Employee Reviews in United States

My job was only for three months.
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 2, 2016
My experience there could have been better if a had the help that I needed. The job was very stressful because I did not have the help I needed. The last teacher just give the students grades; without doing the work.
Great!
Sherwood Recreation Center Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2016
Very family oriented atmosphere! Various opportunities to engage with children and adults in regards to keeping a well run recreation center.
Pros
Fun atmosphere and decent hours
Cons
Pay scale not to strong
Productive and plenty of opportunities
Senior Refuse Driver (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 8, 2016
A typical work at the city of Norfolk was fun but gruesome at times each day was different. My co-workers were friendly and hard workers. From my experience with management depending on your manager it could be smooth or overwhelming. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the different elements of the weather. the most enjoyable part of the job was everlasting friendships I made there.
benefits
Cons
pay
Great and productive work environment
Ticket Seller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2016
Gather all concrete and material pricing for bids. Assist Engineers and other Estimators. I learned so much from this company and all the employees in it. The management was amazing and they were always teaching me. My coworkers were down to earth and always let me help them so I could continue to learn. The hardest part of this job for me was walking in not knowing anything about the trade. I sure did enjoy learning.
Lots of advancements
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 24, 2016
This job was one of the best jobs I have been employed at. Management was very organized with putting up schedule for employees. Everyone was friendly and outgoing.
Pros
Sit down and collect payment
Cons
No cons
productive and fun work envirerment
Sanitation worker (Former Employee) –  parks and open spaceMarch 1, 2016
I learned that even at a place such as a cemetery can be a fun work place and it's also quiet. not to mention it a nice place to sit and get your thought together on a lunch break. And the co-workers are very helpful when you need help with your job, and its peaceful
Pros
it's outside, no work in rain, very safe
Cons
seasonal job, when off you dont want to here the sound of any tools you work with
Team atmosphere generally prevalent
Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 18, 2016
My experience has been with a group of Engineers and technical staff support that really knows the job and all it takes to keep this function of the City's Service to the Citizens going well.
I do see small irregularities in ownership of responsibilities that can be a hindrance to full support of service to the citizenship.
Pros
private retirement system, fair medical insurance, steady pay
Cons
too many chiefs worried about being politically correct.
nice job
Events support crew member I (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 21, 2016
• In charge of keeping equipment clean and in good working condition.
• Carried out routine deliveries and pick-ups of equipment throughout the city
• Responsible for transporting both of the city’s mobile sound stages, which require a class A CDL
• Maintained and updated an equipment rental spreadsheet along with an inventory of equipment.
Employees are great
Human Resources Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 11, 2016
I enjoyed working with the team I work with for the most part. However, management team is another story and there is lack of communication. The people who are actually doing the work are the ones that get the least money. Overall it is not a bad place to work if you know the right people in the right places.
Pros
The employees
Cons
The salaries
Productive environment always room for advancement
Recreational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 8, 2015
Wonderful work environment. and working with the City one must always abides by policy and procedures therefore leading to growth and knowledge that can only advance ones journey up the corporate ladder.
Fun and Energetic workplace
Dance Instructor and Choreographer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 4, 2015
A typical work day would look like, saying hello to my manager, checking my mailbox, and looking at my teaching syllabus for the say. Then I would greet the students at the door as they come in. I start class with a check in with each of my students in a circle (this helps to get all the talking out and telling me about their days in the middle of class. Mainly for the little ones). Then we would stretch, depending the age group and class, we would begin our warm ups and barre. Then we would go to the teaching portion of class where students would learn fundamental dance skills through combinations and drills. Lastly we would end with a short combination combining the skills that were learnt during class. I would have my little ones line up at the door and when they were quiet, I would have them show me something that they are working on (plie, positions etc.) so that they could be permitted to leave. For the older students, I would give them instructions on what to continue working on at home. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the lightbulbs and excitement go off when a students who has been fighting to get a step down, finally gets it. To see the growth in students is the most rewarding thing and the reason why I am here. To ignite their passion for dance in new, fun, and creative ways.
Productive Place to work
Public Safety Telecommunicator (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 9, 2015
Overall we work as a team to give the citizens of Norfolk the help and service they need in a timely manner. We also give advice and the guidance the citizen need and direct them to the proper people.
Good Place
Utility Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2015
Great place to work. Great benefits and great work / life balance. schedule doesn't really change. Will always have the same work schedule.
Very busy always had work.
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2015
Good place to work with a wonderful manager,working there i learned about how important it is to have life insurance. It wasn't about numbers it was about helping family's and caring about other people and not just yourself. It was very educational to me in and out of the fields. I always loved customer service work, cause i care about making changes in other's life.
Pros
Loved that job!
Cons
Only was part-time
Social services
Benefits Specialist II (Current Employee) –  NORFOLK, VASeptember 21, 2015
The best place to learn how benefits are administerd to general public. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help those persons that don't meet criteria. The best part is being able to meet and communicate with people from all walks of life.
Pros
ABILITY TO HELP OTHERS
Cons
CAN BE OVERWHELMING
Productive and rewarding placeto work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 9, 2015
I enjoyed working their very much co workers were great. Learned how to be sympathetic to the needs of others. Management was great. The hardest part of the job was leaving m temporary position. the most enjoyable part of the job was helping others.
Pros
Fun.exciting, rewarding, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Temporay position
great learning opportunities
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 26, 2015
I love volunteering for the city. They are helpful and understanding. I love working with people and their resumes and helping them with applications.
Pros
friendly customers
Cons
i dont get paid
Eoc
Telecommunication II (Former Employee) –  EOCJuly 27, 2015
Typical day in EmergencyTelecommunications, rotation shifts, high stress. Management needs to be more balanced out and the people who run the center should have knowledge of what is done on a minute to minute basis. Hardest part of the job is usually not knowing the outcome of a situation you are in constant fight or flight mode.
Substance abuse treatment
Clinician I (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 2, 2015
I work with substance abuse clients in a crisis stabilization unit. Clients get short term treatment for their co-occuring issues.
Nice place to work
Water Treatment Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 10, 2015
The best part of the job was the moral of the co workers and being able to work well with other workers in management. I learned to work with others in a team invironment
Pros
Great retirement plan
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Norfolk. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Norfolk Reviews by Location