City of Norfolk

City of Norfolk Employer Reviews

I have had the pleasure and ongoing experience of working with stellar people, both coworkers and taxpayers.
Commissioner of the Revenue (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 17, 2014
Pros: too many to speak of.
Cons: can't think of any.
My husband works out of Sanford and the commuting has become difficult. I am looking to relocate to North Carolina perferably with involvement in fiduciary taxes, business licenses, assessments and or tax compliance.
Typical city job
Full time Lifeguard (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: free updates on my cpr certification
Cons: management hierarchy was a little disheartening.
I worked here for 7 years and used my CPR/AED and First Aid certifications in other parts of my life. I was able to work directly with the police and Fire Department, which taught me a lot about public safety and safety in the work place. However, I did not always work with team players and had trouble with the laziness of some of my co workers.
Community outreach for youth
Library Aide (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 1, 2014
I've learned what programs and services are available for youth in my community.
Easy going work place
Special Projects Assistant (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 25, 2014
Pros: felxibility
Cons: n/a
A typical day was very busy, I learned to multi-task efficiently, my co-workers were great, there was no "hard" part to the job and overall the responsibilities were perfect
Great work place
Maintenance worker (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 23, 2014
Pros: knowledgable staff
Cons: very hard work in bad weather
I really enjoyed working with the City of Norfolk. My co-workers were the BEST.
Program review
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAAugust 22, 2014
Loved working here. Worked with my schedule while in school. Allowed me to work on my experience and gave great training.
City Of Norfolk Review
Recreation Aide (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 21, 2014
Pros: meeting and interacting with different people, helping people to get towards their life goals, helping children with school work, seeing the results of people you once helped.
Cons: no benefits or pay advancement, need of security guards for night shift.
A typical day at work I would come in and set up all the computers so that the users can come in and use them for various reasons. I learned that it is many rules and regulations that come with the handling of one's vital information and rules have to be obeyed. Our management team is one that cares for their workers with various check up and keeping – more... us updated on many activities. The co-workers are all close to each other and the company's mission. The hardest part of the problem is not being able to fulfill someone's individual need. The part that I enjoy the most is the satisfaction that I get when I help someone to receiving a scholarship or getting a job is the best part of my job. – less
productive and fun work environmet
Office Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 20, 2014
A typical day at the office for me was running the front desk and assisting the office manager. I learned how a small office is ran and how to deal with teens. I enjoyed planning events and working hands on with teens. We had a great team that was always there for one another which made my job a very pleasant and enjoyable experience.
Worked in the Library
Computer Aide (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 19, 2014
When the main branch was moved due to the light rail system the city put us into an old building. The computers where in the basement of the building. We ended up being baby sitter for the homeless population. I enjoyed it for the most part but it was mainly for high school/college students. I believe my position does not exist anymore.
Hard worker, reliable and dependable
Flex Team Ambassador (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 13, 2014
i get along well with others, work well with no supervision, I love working with others and get along well with others, work good under stress, complete all task to the best of my ability
Challenging and rewarding work
Division Head of Business Services (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 28, 2014
There is no typical day in the Recreation Division of Business Services. My day ranges from payroll to accounting to budgeting to presentation to problem solving to data extraction to recreational programming issues.

My team is customer service focused and our primary mission is to provide factual information with outstanding customer service skills.

Although – more... I like my job, I love doing budget formulation, execution and management that helps an company/organization maximize it revenue potential and minimize its expenditure exposure. – less
Fun work environment
Recreation Aide (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 22, 2014
· Incorporated programs and activities for youth between the ages of 5-17.
· Facilitated female only prevention programs for troubled teenage population dealing with issues such as drugs, peer pressure, and many other things teens are faced with.
· Administered personal, social and academic counseling.
· Organized weekly statistics for monthly reports.
· – more... Answered telephones, took messages, responded to inquiries by phone and e-mail, and provided comprehensive secretarial and clerical support to center staff and management.
· Greeted visitors, conducted tours as needed, provided basic information to visitors. – less
City of Norfolk
Finance Manager (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 13, 2014
Great place to work, enjoyed all aspects learned a lot.. It was time to retire and take up another career.
Awesome place to work
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAApril 8, 2014
Pros: teamwork, moral, and training/education.
Cons: pay, working conditions vary but overall still good, respect comes with job most of the time, and the overall job itself!
A typical day a work is knowing that you come to a place where the employees focus on personal development (education and classes that help them better themselves as a Deputy). What I learned is that you have to be on your Ps and Qs because if not that could be your life. Management of course cared a lot for not only the staff but making sure that the – more... inmates who were unruly were given the necessary punishment. The hardest part of the job for me was transferring to another department because of the pay. The most enjoying part of the job for me was training. – less
ok
Police Officer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 27, 2014
It was ok. Low salary as the city is struggling for money. Jobs are always available as a result.
No comment.
Retired from the City of Norfolk (Former Employee), Retired from the City of NorfolkMarch 5, 2014
A very good working environment. Administrative work. Senior Management work. Co-workers excellent. Enjoyed work, and all of the challenges. Most enjoyable area of the job - the guests, the staff, and the members of the board.
Productive and close to home.
Equipment Operator II (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2014
I have learned alot in my 2 and a half years with the City of Norfolk. A typical day is laid back until you have to deal with management.
Love the Security
Accounting Tech- Accountant I Work Performance (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: great parking
Cons: would like to get a yearly raise to go with the rising cost to live.
Nice having the security but want to learn more. My co-workers are great . Mangers well lets just say all are different, not all work on same page. The hardest part is because of my work ethics I get asked to perform more work each year and don't get compensated for it.
Productive and detailed environment
Support Technician (Current Employee), NorfolkDecember 4, 2013
I like everything about the city the pay and everything. The job is exciting.
Excellent for beginning law enforcement
Deputy Sheriff (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 22, 2013
Very irrating to work swing shifts. Down played home life as if it was not important enough.

1 2 3