City of Norfolk Employee Reviews

It's a job
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 11, 2016
Lowest paid municipal city in Hampton Roads. Little to no room for advancement, unless you're apart of the "clique". Employees are forced to work with faulty, inadequate, mostly inoperable equipment, due to the lack of budget. Not to mention the severe rodent/pest issue. Millons of dollars spent on the HRT LightRail, but can't get rid of the cockroaches and mice in the office. Moving on, most departments are ran like communist dictatorships, with little to no concern about the employees quality of life. Save yourself, DON'T WORK for the City Of Norfolk.
Pros
Fellowship between coworkers. Coworkers have to stick together, because no else will back you.
Cons
Pay, horrible work environment/work conditions, little to no room for advancement. The list is endless, but I'll stop here for now.
Productive and plenty of opportunities
Senior Refuse Driver (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 8, 2016
A typical work at the city of Norfolk was fun but gruesome at times each day was different. My co-workers were friendly and hard workers. From my experience with management depending on your manager it could be smooth or overwhelming. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the different elements of the weather. the most enjoyable part of the job was everlasting friendships I made there.
benefits
Cons
pay
Poor work environment
Senior Account Technician (Former Employee) –  City HallDecember 9, 2016
Often hostile, competitive and biased towards personal beliefs. Not a wonderful environment at my time of employment for working mothers. Teams change with every new upper management making it hard to grow a support system.
Very rewarding expeireince helping others out.
Towing, Refuse Collector (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 18, 2016
Currently I'm working in the Towing and Recovery division with Public Works due to the slack of employees. My main job was driving a Back Loading refuse truck picking up yard waste and debris from trees. Since I've been there I have received awards such as Dare To Be Great! which was awarded to me for helping out toddlers when they had got out of there house while their mothers was still asleep. I try my best to put help out others.
Pros
Helping out in the Community
Cons
Pay and Advancemant is not good.
Fair pay, for a fair day's work.
Forester (Former Employee) –  143 East StreetOctober 13, 2016
Working for the city was an overall fun experience. The pay was good for starting out and the people were fun to be around. The summer heat might draw you away, but other than that, it was a good job.
great places to work
Recreational Aide (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 5, 2017
I mentored kids coach football and basketball teach boys and girls how to become young men and women I work hand in hand with some wonderful people that cared for the kids and parents.
Pros
Free lunches and breakfast
Cons
not alot of resorces
City Of Norfolk Review
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 21, 2014
A typical day at work I would come in and set up all the computers so that the users can come in and use them for various reasons. I learned that it is many rules and regulations that come with the handling of one's vital information and rules have to be obeyed. Our management team is one that cares for their workers with various check up and keeping us updated on many activities. The co-workers are all close to each other and the company's mission. The hardest part of the problem is not being able to fulfill someone's individual need. The part that I enjoy the most is the satisfaction that I get when I help someone to receiving a scholarship or getting a job is the best part of my job.
Pros
Meeting and interacting with different people, helping people to get towards their life goals, Helping children with school work, seeing the results of people you once helped.
Cons
No benefits or pay advancement, need of security guards for night shift.
Amazing place with amazing people
Public Safety Intern (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 23, 2016
This place is amazing filled with amazing individuals filled with knowledge and so much experience. There is always something new and always new opportunities to learn and grow as a persona and professional
Great and productive work environment
Ticket Seller Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 27, 2016
Gather all concrete and material pricing for bids. Assist Engineers and other Estimators. I learned so much from this company and all the employees in it. The management was amazing and they were always teaching me. My coworkers were down to earth and always let me help them so I could continue to learn. The hardest part of this job for me was walking in not knowing anything about the trade. I sure did enjoy learning.
Social services
Benefits Specialist II (Current Employee) –  NORFOLK, VASeptember 21, 2015
The best place to learn how benefits are administerd to general public. The hardest part of the job is not being able to help those persons that don't meet criteria. The best part is being able to meet and communicate with people from all walks of life.
Pros
ABILITY TO HELP OTHERS
Cons
CAN BE OVERWHELMING
Good Place
Utility Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2015
Great place to work. Great benefits and great work / life balance. schedule doesn't really change. Will always have the same work schedule.
The job was more professional
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 19, 2016
I learned a lot from this job, especially about financial aid. The co-workers were easy to get along with. It;s a behind the desk job, so it's more relaxing.
Pros
behind the desk job
Cons
only can work certain hours
Employee Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 24, 2013
Most morning start by corresponding and sending emails in reference to different benefit subject matters, returning calls from employees and retirees. Start the processing of applications and claims. Collect payments for deposit to the City''s Treasurer Office during the first two weeks of each month. Once payments are receive, information is entered into the AFMS system for payments to the vendors and sent along with a Excel spreadsheet Daily correspondence with employees walk-in's. Input FMLA info. into system for monitoring of the employee's FMLA 380, 381, and 382 forms. Notify employee's when FMLA has been approved or denied and also when their 12 weeks of FMLA has ended. I work well and close with two other benefit specialist in my office. We are backups for each other when needed. I would say the hardest part of my job is to stay on top of everything in a timely manner. I work most nights late in order to catch up because I don't like falling behind in my work. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping employees in the processing of their benefits or disability claims.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Daily Breaks
My job was only for three months.
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 2, 2016
My experience there could have been better if a had the help that I needed. The job was very stressful because I did not have the help I needed. The last teacher just give the students grades; without doing the work.
Love the Security
Accounting Tech- Accountant I Work Performance (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 6, 2014
Nice having the security but want to learn more. My co-workers are great . Mangers well lets just say all are different, not all work on same page. The hardest part is because of my work ethics I get asked to perform more work each year and don't get compensated for it.
Pros
Great parking
Cons
Would like to get a yearly raise to go with the rising cost to live.
Great!
Sherwood Recreation Center Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 3, 2016
Very family oriented atmosphere! Various opportunities to engage with children and adults in regards to keeping a well run recreation center.
Pros
Fun atmosphere and decent hours
Cons
Pay scale not to strong
one of the best for health benefits, advancement.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 29, 2012
great place to learn new things and advancement was good if you just wanted to apply yourself, lots of recognition for a job well done.
Pros
great benefits, great opportunities.
Cons
was hot in summer.
Lots of advancements
Parking Attendant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 24, 2016
This job was one of the best jobs I have been employed at. Management was very organized with putting up schedule for employees. Everyone was friendly and outgoing.
Pros
Sit down and collect payment
Cons
No cons
Team atmosphere generally prevalent
Construction Inspector (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 18, 2016
My experience has been with a group of Engineers and technical staff support that really knows the job and all it takes to keep this function of the City's Service to the Citizens going well.
I do see small irregularities in ownership of responsibilities that can be a hindrance to full support of service to the citizenship.
Pros
private retirement system, fair medical insurance, steady pay
Cons
too many chiefs worried about being politically correct.
productive and fun work envirerment
Sanitation worker (Former Employee) –  parks and open spaceMarch 1, 2016
I learned that even at a place such as a cemetery can be a fun work place and it's also quiet. not to mention it a nice place to sit and get your thought together on a lunch break. And the co-workers are very helpful when you need help with your job, and its peaceful
Pros
it's outside, no work in rain, very safe
Cons
seasonal job, when off you dont want to here the sound of any tools you work with

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Norfolk. Our community is ready to answer.