City of Oakland Employee Reviews in United States

The kids
Rec Leader and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 9, 2016
Typical day with the City of Oakland would be instructing the kids on activities. Co-workers were to work with. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the kids focus throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
long lunches
Fun work environment
Recreation Leader I (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 28, 2016
It's a huge company so I enjoyed the people a lot! You wear many hats with the City of Oakland and there are opportunities for advancement when you get more experience.
Pros
The pay
Excellent experience
Parks & Recreation/Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 9, 2016
What a great experience I had as part of the Oakland Team. I was eager to come to work each day and look for ward to new challenges.
Great ferdual program in child development for low income families and children
Early Childhood Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 6, 2016
Worked 5 days a week, 37.5 hours per day in center based CDC.
Throughout the 5 years working at City of Oakland Head Start/Early Head Start, I learned to understand Head Start Performant Standards, and follow Head Start prod core in daily bases. I learn to use Teaching Strategies, ASQ, ASEAQ, DRDP-2010/2015 as measuring, documentation, and analyzing tools to observe and document each child's development progression. I learned how to prepare and support federal-review. I learned how to follow referral steps to refer a child who needs early intervention and outside helps. I learned how to work with family advocate to scan enrollment documentations.
I felt lucky I met a most dedicated and a positive leader who was my Center Director that 5 years I was an Early Childhood Instructor at City of Oakland Head Start/Early Head Start. I inspired by her positive leadership skills and influenced by her professional knowledge and kind manner. She guided my professional grow and personal grew so I can take the leadership in the class.
I love the Week of Young Child fun events. I have sweet memories of all the fun activities in different holidays with different cultures we had with families, children and community.
All the staff in the center worked very harmony and cohesive. We put children's health and safe and well being as top priority. We treated each other as family members.
I learned some other languages besides Spanish, English, Chinese while working with muti-culture children.
Pros
Great relationship within center staffs. Great manager and CEOs. Great benerfits.
Cons
Long-commutt with busy east bay area traffic daily. Neighborhood safety issues.
I enjoy communications in any environment, home office or in the field.
Licensed Real Estate Contractor (Former Employee) –  City Offices, Oakland CaliforniaAugust 19, 2015
Well trained in professional sales skills both verbal and in personal presentations.
I worked well with colleagues and management staff.
Pros
I can sale!
Cons
I don't see any cons to my ability to sale anything.
have average knowledge of team facuilitated programs and monitoring them.
Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakland,CaJune 24, 2015
I organize ,and leads a wide variety of recreation activities and programs related to playground games with my employees.
What a outstanding intern job the city of oakland
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 19, 2015
Working with the city of oakland parks and recreation was a very good job everyone around me was very warming to my heart from the supervisor to the employees they treated me as if I was they child at home because I was a intern working with lots of older people but over all working with them again will be a very good job placement for me because I am a peoples person and working with nice and good people made me feel very welcome was very warm to be around I will go back any time. The city of oakland.
Completion from start to finish
Revenue Collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 21, 2015
Monies due to City of Oakland from beginning of debt to satisfaction.

The debt was address, contact to customer, verifying employment, references and finances.

If customer refused to pay and will not set up payment plans or other agreements, I would prepare legal documents to set up case for court . I had 99% judgments in all cases. Once judgments were reached, post judgment legal documents were prepared, and salary were garnished and liens were put on property
Pros
ability to complete cases from start to finish
City Of Oakland
Microcomputer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 15, 2015
Lots of help desk tickets. We stayed busy never a dull moment. Great learning environment for me. The management team always tried to do the best they could with little to no money for office budgets.
I enjoyed myself
Sub-teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJanuary 14, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job was to see the centers give back to community with referral and other services. I learned to organize and develop my own classroom.
my positon was great
Recreation Leader I (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 22, 2014
I worked for opr and in special programs division yet the entire organization sucked outside of where i worked. After the grant ended for my program I transferred to other rec centers, etc and just was dissatisfied with how the overall organization is ran along with pay, and staff just was no longer for me so i made a better transition.
great place to work
Parking Control Technician (Current Employee) –  Oakland CaNovember 5, 2014
great place to work I get to be outdoors and give information on the rules of where to park
fun and exciting work environment.
Recreation Attendant I (Current Employee) –  East Oakland Sports CenterOctober 28, 2014
Overall this is a great position, the work environment is fun and safe. There is a constant flow of traffic that comes in on a daily basis, my job entails to assist costumers in signing up for the many different classes and programs we offer for kids and adults. . I have learned how to work with people of different ethnic backgrounds, age, religion. However, i do wish management was more organized when it comes to training new employees, scheduling, required duties and task. The hardest part of this job is when we have not satisfied our customer or members. the most enjoyable part of this job is seeing under privilege kids come to our gym and have a good time for a small cost!
Pros
great work environment, wonderful co-workers
Cons
management is very unorganized, processing time very slow.
productive, educational, informative
Parking Enforcement Technician (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 26, 2014
patrolling the city of Oakland issuing citations for illegally parked vehicles. learning O.M.C and C.V.C to properly and effectively site vehicles. management gave opportunities to grow and room for using own judgement to enforce areas. coworkers very helpful and knowledgeable of areas and vehicle codes. most difficult part of the job was learning the technology.with technology changing everyday it can be a challenge to keep up with all the changes but great challenge it is.
Pros
opportunity to explore the city
Cons
no parking for employees
Great work environment just need something fulltime
(PT) Recreation Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 6, 2014
My jobs includes but not limted to facilty maintenance to customer service and cash handling.
A pleasant and rewarding work environment
Library Aide TPT (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 13, 2014
On a typical day at work, we check in library material that was returned or delivered to our department, restock the items or address items with irregularities. We assist the public with library card registration, checking out items, using the computers, and information.

I've learned many useful customer service tools and techniques, computer related skills, organizational and professional skills, library policies and regular library duties associated with my position.

The management is fair and easily accessible for assistance.

My co-workers are friendly, helpful and great team members.

The hardest part of the job can be balancing workload and customer assistance, when both are in high demand.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of helping a customer to the best of my ability and completing a project/workload. It's also enjoyable to see all of the diverse material that is in the library while working.
Pros
access to library material
Cons
no benefits, temporary part time
My life
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 21, 2014
I love this job so many good times an bad grow with the family. To build so many bonds with people best job to have if you want work with youth an the community look to every one round you
Pros
more funds
Cons
more training
Inspirational company to work for
Office Administration (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 17, 2014
Both office and field work was a lot, working with kids in the community, assisting in after school programs, and all around being a role model to the local kids. The management always listen to the new idea brought to the table and all seniors in office are very helpful.
Pros
game tickets
can be stressful but at same time fun
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  OaklandJuly 15, 2014
riding around giving parking tickets. Needs to work on things with union to get the department back on track
Good job security
Administrative assistant II (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 1, 2014
I like working for the City, it is a great place to work.
Management is fair.