City of Oakland Employee Reviews

Review
Administrative Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 26, 2017
Very diverse workplace. They truly encourage and promote equal opportunity for all employees. Management could definitely use some improvement. You must be able to operate with little direction.
Pros
Casual work enviorment
Cons
Long processes
being productive and being positive everyday.
Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 20, 2017
A typical day at my work place consist of me dealing with the fire and police dept. If they need service on any of the vehicles, i am there to help. I have learned that everyone is human. Everyone has problems once in a while. I think the city of Oakland management does not care about the workers who really work hard for the company. They take good workers for granted. The work place is very hard because of the nepotism and the favoritism they allow to go on in the company. Hardest part is knowing the company does not care and will not promote the right way. The most enjoyable part is that I have a job.
No micromanaging and pleasant supervisors
Parking Enforcement Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 16, 2017
Most jobs are pretty straight forward. You'll show up, do your job,and go home. However, your experience will depend on the department you are in. Personally,my supervisor and manger do not micromanage, and I've met supervisors and mangers in other departments and they all seemed to be pleasant to work with.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
salary
Good intro job for youth
Recreation Attendant, Art Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMay 12, 2017
A good introductory position for teens and/or young adults looking to work with the community. Mostly part time positions but with work can move up to full time and management.
Excellent civic environment
Intake Technician/Investigative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 14, 2017
The City of Oakland is an outstanding civic employer. The office of the City Administrator, provides excellent work/life balance and quality. The City benefits are excellent, as is the general culture of the City.
Pros
Efficient and co-ordinated
Cons
Evolving and changing
love this job
Rec Aid/Rec Leader (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 12, 2017
I worked for the City of Oakland Parks and Recs. I loved every moment of it. The kids were the highlights of my days. I got paid to play. Of course sometimes it was challenging because some day the children were not well behaved. Lastly, there isn't enough hours being offered for employees.
Pros
getting paid to play
Cons
not enough hours, no breaks
Good for students.
Parks and Recreation - Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 22, 2017
The job has good scheduling. There are many training sessions to keep you up-to-date with guidelines. The culture is great. The managers have worked there for a long time and are very knowledgable.
Realxed work environment.
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 15, 2017
Very friendly and helpful staff. I was made to feel very welcomed and at home, even though I was contracted personnel. Management treated me very well, and it was an independent work environment
A typical work day included heavy phone contact, supplying information to the public, departmental representatives, and mainly employees of the city regarding benefits, departmental transfers..
The city also allows casual business attire.
Pros
37.5 hour work week
Cons
30 minute lunch break
i would not recommend it to my friends.
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 7, 2016
i advanced very quickly there. i went from a laborer to a truck driver in 6 months to a foreman in 9 months to #1 on the supervisor list in a year and they had me fill in for any supervisor who was off for the next 10 years.
Pros
really good benefits and retirement package
Cons
when the mandatory drug testing came, we lost 50% of the labor force.
work place summary
park and rec (Former Employee) –  oaklandDecember 6, 2016
A normal day at work would be getting things organized , pulling backs and making sure that you are sending the bags to the correct place. Also making sure the bags are pushed out in timely matter
Excellent pay and benefits. Good work environment,
Public Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CANovember 16, 2016
Learned to read and interpret the CA Vehicle Code, Municipal laws and Ordinances pertaining to parking citations issuance and processing. Learned about Scofflaw and booting and towing of vehicles.Working closely with the Hearing Officers and Police Department was insightful. Appeared in Smalls Claims Court on behalf of my employer.
Pros
Close to public transportation, restuarants, Lake Merritt. Employee organizations and discounts
Cons
No upward mobility programs or support. Hiring freeze
parks and recreation
Park Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAOctober 17, 2016
a typical day at work is first starting off with a great atttitude.
i learn communication and team skills, to be detailed and organized, to pay atttenion to work area and space, management is a great help with whatever problem , or solution with clients, very understanding and proffesional, the hardest part of my job is trying to perfect my work. the most enjoyable part of my job is my boss,coworkers, work location, work area, the concern and politeness of others, and we work great together as a team!
Pros
loacation, hosting events
benefits
Productive time sensitive team oriented company
Maintenance Crew Chief (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 28, 2016
Helped me learn many phases of construction and maintenance of commercial and residential buildings. Management taught me blueprint reading by my on the job activities.
Pros
The ability to see the beautification of the city through the worked performed
Cons
City budget
Great company
Senior Oracle Financials Lead (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 26, 2016
This is a great company ot work for . Public Sector. Gasb34 Company and traditional technical upgrade in business process
Pros
Good Place to learn
Cons
Better to grow with
great experience
Recreation Leader 1 (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CA 94619September 9, 2016
my cowrokers were like my family. became close with families i worked with, built life long relationships. gained skills and learned patience.
Cons
no breaks
summer high school intern
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 18, 2016
this job was great i work as a office assistant answering phones,typing memo's. the pay was great and i went to work everyday.
Pros
great pay great hours
Cons
summer school intern temp job
The kids
Rec Leader and Mentor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJune 9, 2016
Typical day with the City of Oakland would be instructing the kids on activities. Co-workers were to work with. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the kids focus throughout the day. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the kids.
Pros
Long lunches
Cons
long lunches
Fun work environment
Recreation Leader I (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 28, 2016
It's a huge company so I enjoyed the people a lot! You wear many hats with the City of Oakland and there are opportunities for advancement when you get more experience.
Pros
The pay
Excellent experience
Parks & Recreation/Intern (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 9, 2016
What a great experience I had as part of the Oakland Team. I was eager to come to work each day and look for ward to new challenges.
Great ferdual program in child development for low income families and children
Early Childhood Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 6, 2016
Worked 5 days a week, 37.5 hours per day in center based CDC.
Throughout the 5 years working at City of Oakland Head Start/Early Head Start, I learned to understand Head Start Performant Standards, and follow Head Start prod core in daily bases. I learn to use Teaching Strategies, ASQ, ASEAQ, DRDP-2010/2015 as measuring, documentation, and analyzing tools to observe and document each child's development progression. I learned how to prepare and support federal-review. I learned how to follow referral steps to refer a child who needs early intervention and outside helps. I learned how to work with family advocate to scan enrollment documentations.
I felt lucky I met a most dedicated and a positive leader who was my Center Director that 5 years I was an Early Childhood Instructor at City of Oakland Head Start/Early Head Start. I inspired by her positive leadership skills and influenced by her professional knowledge and kind manner. She guided my professional grow and personal grew so I can take the leadership in the class.
I love the Week of Young Child fun events. I have sweet memories of all the fun activities in different holidays with different cultures we had with families, children and community.
All the staff in the center worked very harmony and cohesive. We put children's health and safe and well being as top priority. We treated each other as family members.
I learned some other languages besides Spanish, English, Chinese while working with muti-culture children.
Pros
Great relationship within center staffs. Great manager and CEOs. Great benerfits.
Cons
Long-commutt with busy east bay area traffic daily. Neighborhood safety issues.