City of Oakland

City of Oakland Employer Reviews

my positon was great
Recreation Leader I (Former Employee), Oakland, CADecember 22, 2014
I worked for opr and in special programs division yet the entire organization sucked outside of where i worked. After the grant ended for my program I transferred to other rec centers, etc and just was dissatisfied with how the overall organization is ran along with pay, and staff just was no longer for me so i made a better transition.
great place to work
Parking Control Technician (Current Employee), Oakland CaNovember 5, 2014
great place to work I get to be outdoors and give information on the rules of where to park
fun and exciting work environment.
Recreation Attendant I (Current Employee), East Oakland Sports CenterOctober 28, 2014
Pros: great work environment, wonderful co-workers
Cons: management is very unorganized, processing time very slow.
Overall this is a great position, the work environment is fun and safe. There is a constant flow of traffic that comes in on a daily basis, my job entails to assist costumers in signing up for the many different classes and programs we offer for kids and adults. . I have learned how to work with people of different ethnic backgrounds, age, religion. However, i do wish management was more organized when it comes to training new employees, scheduling, required duties and task. The hardest part of this job is when we have not satisfied our customer or members. the most enjoyable part of this job is seeing under privilege kids come to our gym and have a good time for a small cost!
productive, educational, informative
Parking Enforcement Technician (Current Employee), Oakland, CAOctober 26, 2014
Pros: opportunity to explore the city
Cons: no parking for employees
patrolling the city of Oakland issuing citations for illegally parked vehicles. learning O.M.C and C.V.C to properly and effectively site vehicles. management gave opportunities to grow and room for using own judgement to enforce areas. coworkers very helpful and knowledgeable of areas and vehicle codes. most difficult part of the job was learning the technology.with technology changing everyday it can be a challenge to keep up with all the changes but great challenge it is.
Great work environment just need something fulltime
(PT) Recreation Leader (Current Employee), Oakland, CAOctober 6, 2014
My jobs includes but not limted to facilty maintenance to customer service and cash handling.
A pleasant and rewarding work environment
Library Aide TPT (Current Employee), Oakland, CASeptember 13, 2014
Pros: access to library material
Cons: no benefits, temporary part time
On a typical day at work, we check in library material that was returned or delivered to our department, restock the items or address items with irregularities. We assist the public with library card registration, checking out items, using the computers, and information.

I've learned many useful customer service tools and techniques, computer related skills, organizational and professional skills, library policies and regular library duties associated with my position.

The management is fair and easily accessible for assistance.

My co-workers are friendly, helpful and great team members.

The hardest part of the job can be balancing workload and customer assistance, when both are in high demand.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of helping a customer to the best of my ability and completing a project/workload. It's also enjoyable to see all of the diverse material that is in the library while working.
MY LIFE
Recreation Leader (Former Employee), Oakland, CAAugust 21, 2014
Pros: more funds
Cons: more training
I LOVE THIS JOB SO MANY GOOD TIMES AN BAD GROW WITH THE FAMILY. TO BUILD SO MANY BONDS WITH PEOPLE BEST JOB TO HAVE IF YOU WANT WORK WITH YOUTH AN THE COMMUNITY LOOK TO EVERY ONE ROUND YOU
Inspirational company to work for
Office Administration (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: game tickets
Both office and field work was a lot, working with kids in the community, assisting in after school programs, and all around being a role model to the local kids. The management always listen to the new idea brought to the table and all seniors in office are very helpful.
can be stressful but at same time fun
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), OaklandJuly 15, 2014
riding around giving parking tickets. Needs to work on things with union to get the department back on track
Good job security
Administrative assistant II (Current Employee), Oakland, CAMay 1, 2014
I like working for the City, it is a great place to work.
Management is fair.
Great work culture and good experience with enter the work field.
RECREATIONAL LEADER I (Current Employee), Montclair, CAJanuary 27, 2014
I have loved working for the City of Oakland for the last 7 years. Its great to have a hands on approach to help raise the future of Oakland, a great and prosperous city within America.
Productive and Fun work place
Sports Official PT (Current Employee), Oakland C.A.October 5, 2013
Pros: see review
Cons: see review
Part time working for a city can be very complicated not because of the pay. 18.50 hour is above average; however, the hours that are given are not acceptable for an adult who is looking to pay off school and afford mortgage/rent.
Well known large company to work for and gain experience with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Oakland, CAOctober 3, 2013
Pros: several job promotions. great pay, great benefits, a lot of knowledge gained
Cons: lay offs
Our all the company is a all around decent company. There are many departments which make up the company so it is a lot of team work that goes into keeping such a large and relevant house hold name a float. The co-workers I worked with were nice people, but the managing team for that particular department was sometimes difficult to work for. The positive thing is that you learned a lot, this department did promote a lot and if you were fortunate enough to dodge the lay offs then it was great job stability and benefits. The hardest part was the work related stress that came from those in superior positions as well as the "not knowing" if I will be working today and laid off tomorrow environment.
Good Summer Job
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Oakland, CASeptember 27, 2013
Pros: friendly staff ennviroment
Cons: constantly in the sun
The most enjoyable part of the job is being in the sun and by the pool. The hardest part is when it gets too hot and the pool gets overpacked with people. the job taught me important responsibilities that slacking off will results in patrons getting injured.
A grate place to work with a nice recording studio
Master Control Operator (Former Employee), Oakland ca.August 28, 2013
Pros: lots of over time
Cons: the city of oakland just did not know how to apply budgets.
My job was to record video over the air.Every day i learned a different posistion
Empowering work place for recreators
Recreation Leader (Current Employee), Oakland, CAJuly 12, 2013
High level of engagement with the community and youth. Great opportunity to contribute to the eff
Not alot guaranteed hour for Partime
Recreational leader 1 (Former Employee), Oakland CAJuly 5, 2013
Sometime i had good hours sometimes i had 5 hours a week.
The best part of the job was that i got speed alot of time helping children
Professional
Paid Internship (Former Employee), Oakland, CAMay 18, 2013
Pros: coworkers are helpful
Cons: tasks are routine
Filing, Making labels, Maintained Files

Coworkers helpful

Tasks are manageble
It was a summer job
Office Clerk (Former Employee), Oakland, CAJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: everything!!!
Cons: n/a
I had a great time working at The City of Oakland there is nothing bad i can say about this job. I learned sooo much.
Environmentally concious workplace with innovative ideas.
Environmental Services Clerk (Current Employee), Oakland, CANovember 20, 2012
Most of my day consists of answering the City of Oakland's recycling hotline, data entry and staff support. I have learned about the major impact waste and recycling has on the environment. The management is helpful and organized. Most of the office works with little supervision. The hardest part of the job is event organizing when it is prepared at the last minute by the organizer. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that i am helping educate residents on recycling practices.