CITY OF ODESSA Employee Reviews

Great team environment and advancement oppotunities
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 5, 2016
I worked for the police department for 2 years; the only reason I left was to further my education. The advancement opportunities in the Police Department are great, and there are so many different areas in which to serve. The people of OPD were and are great, and promote not only a team atmosphere, but a great family atmosphere. Specifically for the police department, the salary continues to be competitive, and they have instituted a take home car program. The current mayor of Odessa is a great man whom I know pwlersonally, and is very pro-police. The police department also enjoys a great relationship with Odessa Fire/Rescue, the Ector County ISDPD, the Hospital District PD, the UT System Police Department at UT-Permian Basin, and other local, state and federal agencies in the region, so there is a lot of interagency cooperation. It's one big family, and the people are great!!!
Pros
Family balance, promotional opportunities
Great Place Awesome Benefits
Driver (Former Employee) –  Solid WasteOctober 1, 2016
Worked for Solid Waste The route Supervisors are pretty Cool but Upper Management is a Joke. They only care about one race!!!
Public Safety Communication
Public Safety Communications Officer (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 11, 2016
The actual job is hard enough and the added stress that they put on the dispatchers can be very stressful. The hardest part of my job was having to remember to say things as scripted. The most enjoyable part was knowing and hoping I helped someone at the end of the day.
Gis
Engineering GIS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 18, 2013
I learned a lot to work on different programs on GIS. The most enjoyable part of the job is to work on aerial mappings. The hardest part of the job is to put curve/arc/points on the mappings that need to be exactly right points but learned faster. I love to work with my co-workers and boss. I worked from Monday to Friday 8 to 5 pm. I enjoyed their wonderful benefits. I had to leave City of Odessa for family emergency reason.
Good experience
Assistant Golf Pro (Former Employee) –  odessa, txMarch 24, 2016
Handled operations for the shop; sold merchandise, scheduled tee times and aided customers with equipment use. Served on the maintenance crew; repaired irrigation leaks and preventing future instances
Pros
free lunch
Cons
bad hours
Fun place to work.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXMarch 31, 2014
Great retirement benefits and fun place to work. Good management team.
Great for retired person.
Code Enforcement Inspector (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 7, 2013
Great benefits, free clinic for city employees. the only negative about the city is they dont pay enough.
great benefits
Garbage Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 19, 2013
loved working here with all the great benefits, but came home smelling like garbage, blah!
Public service work that is very satisfying.
Director of Equipment Services (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 12, 2012
The typical day is spent building up morale and taking interest in my employee's life and work challenges and successes. If I don't learn something every day, there is always something that reminds me of something I once learned, but had forgotten. I like my job, I'm very good at my job. The hardest thing is knowing that my department is very low on the organizational ladder, and we are treated such by management most of the time.
Not a great place to work in general.
Operator/Parks and Recreration (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 28, 2015
Bad management skills and horrible hiring, HR is just as bad, and no one actually runs the store. Its more of a job if you are 16 and need one just for some fun cash. do not recommend ever seeking it for a carrier.
A good place to start out in the Permian Basin
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJanuary 26, 2014
I loved this job and the environment in which I worked. My co-workers were all a part of a team that wanted to give the service possible to our customers. The hardest part of this job was trying to explain why services were slowly deteriorating because of unpreparedness for the staggering growth of the city.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Services are falling short because of city's growth
Productive job
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 21, 2015
Tractor trailer and stage trailer, set up. Front-end and skid loaders. Tanker truck, riding mower and tents. Pick up trash, plant trees, flowers and fertilizer.
Pros
Productive outside work
good fun
Waste Water Operator III (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 1, 2013
the hardest part was seeing the pay and understanding the years get better and so does the pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CITY OF ODESSA. Our community is ready to answer.

CITY OF ODESSA Reviews by Location