CITY OF OKLAHOMA CITY Employee Reviews in United States

I'm proud to work with the men and women in blue!
Administrative Support Technician (AST) (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 25, 2016
Through my various positions with the Oklahoma City Police Department, I have learned the most effective ways to deal with people of every background. We typically deal with 10% of the population 100% of the time (and it's not usually the better 10%). With that being said, my favorite part of the job is dealing with some of these same people, doing my part to put them in the places they need to be. I also love my co-workers and supervisors. We're all after the same thing, bettering our community and making it a better place to live. I really do love my job and what I do, but am looking for a position with a growing company that is able to offer me a better monetary gain, along with a good challenge.
Pros
Stable work environment with superior benefits and great people to work along side.
Cons
The public is always there to judge our every move, and when one co-worker loses his or her moral compass, it tends to effect us all.
Avoid working with this Director
Systems Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  OklahomaFebruary 5, 2016
I have never worked with a Manager or a Director who knew as little as this Director about the needs and requirements of a functional IT department. There was no communication between the IT support and the Director. Department Managers always sidestepped the Local IT department staff and contacted the City IT department for issues, always leaving the Local IT staff unaware of issues until after the fact. IF you take the job, be sure and CYA at all times.
Pros
Not with the current Director
Cons
Office Politics are #1, even for a small office as this
A great place for engineers
Civil Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 10, 2016
I worked as an engineer in the Utility Department for 8 years, and they were the most enriching years, both professionally and personally, of my life. I got great technical and managerial guidance, a pay scale comparable to private industry, ample opportunity for continuing education, and a professional and welcoming work environment. I was especially encouraged by the City bucking the statewide trend and expanding their non-discrimination clause to include the LBG (though not, alas, T) community.

Beyond my personal experiences, it appeared that the department was very supportive of EIs and young graduates, and provided a great balance of guidance and independent assignments. It's a great place to grow. I'm hoping that the sales tax base improves, because these guys deserve some job security.

As for the people, I miss them all dearly. Maybe in a few years I'll have them all work for me.
Pros
Great benefits, exciting Downtown atmosphere
Cons
Bureaucracy was sometimes mysterious, but not terribly so.
Upper level management.
Unit Operations Supervisor (Management) (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma CityOctober 17, 2015
Really love working with animals, but hate the style of management I was a part of. Went against my political views and goals.
Pros
Meeting people, animals
Good place to work.
Legal clerk (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma CityOctober 11, 2014
It's a good place to work as far as pay and benefits but there are some drawbacks in other areas. First it is highly political (it's a government job after all). You could find yourself in charge of something on one day and subordinate to an unqualified crony the next day. If you don't have very much ambition and don't mind being in the same position for decades, then it's great. But if you have career goals and want to move up then you will not like it. The only way to move up here is to know people. Other than that I really can't complain too much.
Pros
good pay, good benefits, nice co-workers, easy going environment
Cons
good ol' boy system, secret society type management, promotions not based on qualifications
A government IT organization that is a second family.
Systems Support Specialist II- Communications (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 25, 2015
In my role with the city, I have a very good balance between work and life. My position is demanding of my time and I am allowed as much room to develop my skill set as possible. As telecommunications support, my scope of responsibility is wider in this realm than perhaps any other similar role with any company in the city. As a result, I am continuously challenged to learn new technologies or functional requirements for systems I support, nearly every day. There's no time to grow stale in my role. This leads to a more rewarding experience for me.
Pros
Exposure to a more diverse array of telecommunications technologies, I "own" my scope of responsibilities, very talented support team surrounds me.
Cons
Can be more demanding of my time, The pay is average, with no stock options or huge bonuses, I don't travel as much as I did at my previous employer
Great opportunity to be a difference maker in various recreational settings for local citizens and their families.
Operations Supervisor Lake Activities (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 6, 2015
Oversee the day to day operation of the Lake facilities and provide quality insight and direction to the specific site supervisors. Co-workers and staff were exceptional in dealing with citizens and individual daily interactions.
Unfriendly Management
Customer Service Rep. II (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 17, 2013
Learned how the court system works on the front lines. learned how driving school works through the court system. What information is public and what is private. Learned how to navigate through a large amount of information-digital and paperwork.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management
Parks & Recreation: Ground Mgn.
Administr. Tech. (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityOctober 1, 2014
I worked there 6 weeks...the management in the area was hostile, and immature. They area can not keep the clerks that they hire. I believe the City of Okc is good to work for. I did find out that I was still eligible for re-hire, thats great! I might be back in 2015, with new skills to boot added onto what I have already acquired. I will be going to IT school.
Pros
its good to work for the city of okc.
Cons
part time only for the administr. technician.
great work enviroment
Data Tech (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City. OklahomaMarch 7, 2012
The work load is a little tedious, but the enviroment is positive. Will work with you, if you have a schedule conflict. All they ask is you work hard and they will work with you.
Pros
wrok with you on schedule
Cons
no benefits
very stressful
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 7, 2014
It was a great place to work until toe operations supervisor was replaced
Pros
good salary
Cons
management. im not trying to bad mouth
Good place to start
Customer Service Rep IV (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 11, 2014
Answer incoming calls for customers regarding billing concerns. Calculate adjustments and a variety of different duties. First Line Management needs some work. Co-workers are ok. Job isn't hard. The most enjoyable part of the job is solving customer's issues.
Pros
hour lunch, rotating job duties, all shift end at 6pm
Cons
hard to move up, little overtime opportunites
most enjoyable job in years
Crossing guard (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 8, 2012
The most enjoyable part of this job is the students. The job is not hard. I have no co-workers. Management is good. The typical day-crossing the kids.
Pros
students being nice and respectful
This is a great place to work, however, I am ready to relocate back to Sapulpa
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 3, 2013
My day starts out answering telephones to assist customers with setting up new water service or cancelling service. Also answering calls regarding solid waste matters. On days when the telephones are not busy, I spend the day closing service order notifications. This includes charging customers when their water service has been turned off for non-pay. Everyone rotates to different jobs within the department every six (6) months in order to learn the different working of the water department.
Pros
never a dull moment
Cons
no short term disability
Fun place to work
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 8, 2013
A typical day at work was pretty easy and simple. I learned more about kids and how they think. My co workers were pretty decent as well, my manager was decent too.
great place if u like to cut grass
labor 3 (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 8, 2013
i would come in get dress load truck with weed-eaters go to different parks and cut grass
Pros
free food on fridays
Cons
slow pace
It as a good place to work
Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 4, 2012
just get out and get the work done the guys that worked on my truck were good workers
Pros
40 hours a week
Cons
on call