CITY OF OKLAHOMA CITY Employee Reviews

productive and fun
Administrative Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 19, 2017
I answer the phone, handled customers, put in data entry, I learn something new everyday. Management is great, the workplace culture is amazing there is no drama and everyone gets along with everyone. the hardest part of my job is calming customers down over invoices they get for false alarms. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to work with everyone in my office.
Great job
Supervisor/Recreation Leader II (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 28, 2016
I enjoyed working for the City of Oklahoma City. I worked for the Police Department and Parks & Recreation. Co-workers were great to work with, supervisors were helpful and understanding. I would love to work there again.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Working for the public has always been an extreme pleasure
Admin support tech (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 7, 2016
The economy makes things feel unsettled. The people who make the decisions for the city do that with more than just a little professionalism. I really love working for the citizens and hope the economy improves soon
Pros
When unemployment goes down we can offer more services
Cons
When unemployment goes up. ...well services are cut and sometimes people too
Excellent position as a governmental accountant
Municipal Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 29, 2016
I worked as a governmental accountant for the City of Oklahoma City. Each day could bring a surprise sometimes. Working with the public you always wanted to be respectful to the citizens and do your best to help solve any problems they were having. We had an excellent management team over the various years. My co-workers were a lot of fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was preparing the CAFR at fiscal year end. But this depended on the employee planning and preparing for the year end. The most enjoyable was being able to meet the public and make presentation to the various public projects going on that time.

I would recommend the City of Oklahoma City as a very excellent place to work.
Pros
Excellent working environment, excellent benefits, and retirement
Cons
Hard to schedule vacatons
Working outside is interesting in the summer and winter months.
Oper. Trainee (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 22, 2016
Great place to work, if you like being outside. The hardest part of the time was passing the required CDL test within 6 months of employment.
Pros
starting salary and benefits
Cons
working in the summer heat and the winter cold
excellent place to work
Utility Customer Services Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 14, 2016
My children are about to graduate HS and I am ready to move on and up. The Utility is progressive and gets things done. I would recommend employment with the City of Oklahoma City.
easy summer job
Concessions (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 21, 2016
the job is easy and the hours are flexible. The people are friendly. You can eat the food cheaply. Customers are pleasant.
Pros
easy job
Cons
pay isn't great, upper level people seem to be confused on procedures often.
Boring Office Job
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKSeptember 3, 2016
This consisted of you filing and scanning residential and commercial job plan. You would scan the permits on the computer, then you will file it in a file cabinate.
Pros
Let you set your on schedule
Cons
Not enough hours and pay. Its only part-time!
good job great people to work with
Grounds Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 28, 2016
get there before seven am clock in grab your cooler fill it with ice and water grab your weed eater put gas in put line in roll extra spool get in truck go to a city park weed eat all around the park take 15 min break weed eat take 30 min lunch weed eat take 15 min break go back to shop clock out go home
Pros
work with really nice people
Cons
the heat
Fun and fast paced
Recreation Leader/Technical Director (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 24, 2016
I have worked for the city for 4 years at a performing arts center and I look forward to going to work. The co-workers at most of the centers are lovely and my field supervisor and other upper level management are considerate, organized, and professional.
Pros
Free lunch, fun kids, fabulous work environment
Cons
Unorganized downtown office, slow to get official things done
Temp job that was a learning experience.
Lake Maintence (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 28, 2016
Weedeating around lakes and picking up trash.

How much pride some people take in there jobs.

Management was amazing.

The people I worked with were some of the most interesting and fun people ive ever met.

The hardest part of job was weed eating in the heat.

There were a lot of things i liked about the job it was overall a great experience.
Pros
Great environment, good people and good Management
Cons
Wish it had not just been temp. job.
A great place for engineers
Civil Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 10, 2016
I worked as an engineer in the Utility Department for 8 years, and they were the most enriching years, both professionally and personally, of my life. I got great technical and managerial guidance, a pay scale comparable to private industry, ample opportunity for continuing education, and a professional and welcoming work environment. I was especially encouraged by the City bucking the statewide trend and expanding their non-discrimination clause to include the LBG (though not, alas, T) community.

Beyond my personal experiences, it appeared that the department was very supportive of EIs and young graduates, and provided a great balance of guidance and independent assignments. It's a great place to grow. I'm hoping that the sales tax base improves, because these guys deserve some job security.

As for the people, I miss them all dearly. Maybe in a few years I'll have them all work for me.
Pros
Great benefits, exciting Downtown atmosphere
Cons
Bureaucracy was sometimes mysterious, but not terribly so.
I had learned to worked along with employers and co-workers and share fun as putting my passion in the jobs.
Utility worker 1 (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OK, 73107March 12, 2016
I have built many skill and experience in all my previous job and I had learned to share my passion with customer, and employees on the jobs.
Pros
I have learned to works independently or with craws members as Utilities Worker 1.
Cons
There are times that I have a bad days but sharing it with others help me
Avoid working with this Director
Systems Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  OklahomaFebruary 5, 2016
I have never worked with a Manager or a Director who knew as little as this Director about the needs and requirements of a functional IT department. There was no communication between the IT support and the Director. Department Managers always sidestepped the Local IT department staff and contacted the City IT department for issues, always leaving the Local IT staff unaware of issues until after the fact. IF you take the job, be sure and CYA at all times.
Pros
Not with the current Director
Cons
Office Politics are #1, even for a small office as this
I'm proud to work with the men and women in blue!
Administrative Support Technician (AST) (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 25, 2016
Through my various positions with the Oklahoma City Police Department, I have learned the most effective ways to deal with people of every background. We typically deal with 10% of the population 100% of the time (and it's not usually the better 10%). With that being said, my favorite part of the job is dealing with some of these same people, doing my part to put them in the places they need to be. I also love my co-workers and supervisors. We're all after the same thing, bettering our community and making it a better place to live. I really do love my job and what I do, but am looking for a position with a growing company that is able to offer me a better monetary gain, along with a good challenge.
Pros
Stable work environment with superior benefits and great people to work along side.
Cons
The public is always there to judge our every move, and when one co-worker loses his or her moral compass, it tends to effect us all.
Upper level management.
Unit Operations Supervisor (Management) (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma CityOctober 17, 2015
Really love working with animals, but hate the style of management I was a part of. Went against my political views and goals.
Pros
Meeting people, animals
Great opportunity to be a difference maker in various recreational settings for local citizens and their families.
Operations Supervisor Lake Activities (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 6, 2015
Oversee the day to day operation of the Lake facilities and provide quality insight and direction to the specific site supervisors. Co-workers and staff were exceptional in dealing with citizens and individual daily interactions.
A government IT organization that is a second family.
Systems Support Specialist II- Communications (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 25, 2015
In my role with the city, I have a very good balance between work and life. My position is demanding of my time and I am allowed as much room to develop my skill set as possible. As telecommunications support, my scope of responsibility is wider in this realm than perhaps any other similar role with any company in the city. As a result, I am continuously challenged to learn new technologies or functional requirements for systems I support, nearly every day. There's no time to grow stale in my role. This leads to a more rewarding experience for me.
Pros
Exposure to a more diverse array of telecommunications technologies, I "own" my scope of responsibilities, very talented support team surrounds me.
Cons
Can be more demanding of my time, The pay is average, with no stock options or huge bonuses, I don't travel as much as I did at my previous employer
Good place to work.
Legal clerk (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma CityOctober 11, 2014
It's a good place to work as far as pay and benefits but there are some drawbacks in other areas. First it is highly political (it's a government job after all). You could find yourself in charge of something on one day and subordinate to an unqualified crony the next day. If you don't have very much ambition and don't mind being in the same position for decades, then it's great. But if you have career goals and want to move up then you will not like it. The only way to move up here is to know people. Other than that I really can't complain too much.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, nice co-workers, easy going environment
Cons
Good ol' boy system, secret society type management, promotions not based on qualifications
Parks & Recreation: Ground Mgn.
Administr. Tech. (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma CityOctober 1, 2014
I worked there 6 weeks...the management in the area was hostile, and immature. They area can not keep the clerks that they hire. I believe the City of Okc is good to work for. I did find out that I was still eligible for re-hire, thats great! I might be back in 2015, with new skills to boot added onto what I have already acquired. I will be going to IT school.
Pros
Its good to work for the City of Okc.
Cons
part time only for the Administr. Technician.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CITY OF OKLAHOMA CITY. Our community is ready to answer.

CITY OF OKLAHOMA CITY Reviews by Location