City of Olathe Employee Reviews

Awesome workplace
Solid Waste Operator (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 18, 2018
Great work family. Outstanding team unity. Fast paced. Safety first. Follow all DOT and safety rules and regulations. Be prepared for the weather elements.
Pros
Caring coworkers
Cons
Fast paced working in elements
It's a City Job.
Traffic Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 16, 2018
It's an okay job if you're good at fixing things and problem solving under a bit of pressure. I came from a retail background and wanted to try something a lot different with my life. Thought i'd give this a shot with fixing traffic lights. Turns out it wasn't what i expected. You have to be a quick learner and problem solver. At times there could be a lot to do and other times it gets boring. I basically was a helper boy for the technicians and directed traffic in the middle of busy intersections. Eventually left after finding another job. If you have a strong back ground in utilities, electronics, construction, or military then this might be for you.
Pros
Full-time
Cons
No benefits, Can be intimidating at times.
Horticulture Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 2, 2018
Parks and rec has half variety and half repetitive jobs, you move from project to project at times and you will do the same thing such as watering 3 times a week. Both together are a good combination

You learn a lot if you want to learn. Co-workers are usually obliged to answer any work related questions and help out.

Management is pretty relaxed as long as you do a good job and don't slack off, as it should be.

Culture is rated R but that's what makes it fun. It's a blast being around and interacting with co-workers and listening to the smack.

Hardest part is the work whether it's a physically intense project or it's over 100 degrees. Sometimes the ones in charge can become overbearing but it's temporary and any tension goes away quickly.

It's a satisfying job and the people you work for and with are great. Great benefits if you can get full time.
Pros
Great atmosphere, good people, satisfying work
Cons
Hard work
Public Works (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 8, 2017
Good place to work, with good people, benefits, pay, and work environment. Positive culture and work life balance. Would recommend as career starting point and long term.
Relaxed environment
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  City of Olathe, KSNovember 6, 2017
I basically worked on Excel spreadsheets, working under the supervision of one person. The department was a friendly group. Occasionally I would fill in for the front receptionist when she was on vacation and also during her lunch hours. I would greet and help incoming clients and answer telephone calls directing them to the proper department.
Productive work place with amazing benefits and insurance
Utility Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 17, 2017
always busy doing something from a project to cleaning out he truck to organize the shop and yard.
i learned how to fuse pipe together
the management was well organized and very respectful
I enjoyed the people i worked with
Pros
free lunches and good bonuses and very good insurance and benefits
workplace enviroment iffy
Seasonal Stormwater Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMay 12, 2017
The crews are good but management lacks in many ways. very poor low level management. upper management is good but not involved enough. lower management runs wild and drains morale of crews involved on day to day functions
Pros
great crews
Cons
poor management
Over worked and unappreciated
City of Olathe (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 25, 2016
It was great for the first couple years but after a new department supervisor took over it became a micromanaging nightmare . You get no support from your supervisor and you really don't get the support from the HR department. I was hoping I could stay with the city long enough to retire in a couple years but now I'm not sure that will happen.
Pros
Benefits, Shift hours
Cons
micromanagement, not adequately paid for experience.
Fun place to work
Asphalt Worker (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 31, 2016
Milled and overlays streets and put down asphalt after ran heavy equipment like loaders rollers and used rakes and shovels.
decent place to work
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KS 66061March 17, 2016
been gainfully employed for over 5 years good benefits and pay. I mostly enjoy working with my coworkers and definitely appreciate the comradery.
city commissioner
Commissioner (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 15, 2016
fostering an atmosphere of inclusion, by ensuring that all citizens have an equal opportunity and access to employment, housing, public accommodations regardless of color, disability, gender, race, orientation or socio-economic status.
Easy yet time disapointing
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 12, 2015
Once you know what is going on, it is a pretty easy job. The problem with being a first year guard, and under 18, is that you get sent home first if there are no patrons. Also, you get payed less as a lifeguard than people who work in places like walmart, where you dont have to have a certification for.
I work with a great group but management changes are taking place
Senior Desktop Technician (Current Employee) –  100 W Sante Fe, Olathe, KS 66061October 30, 2015
Our group works well together and help each other when needed. The new manager has seperated us and is very hush hush.

We miss being on the ball and knowing what each other are doing and being able to step in when needed.
Pros
Great city and great customers
Cons
Long drive and some times no breaks
City of Olathe
Assistant HR/Risk Management Director (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 26, 2015
Decent benefits. No worklife balance.

Management needs training and coaching on how to manage people.

The onsite clinic is a definite benefit.
Pros
On site clinic
Great Management
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Olathe,KsJanuary 20, 2015
If I need anything management is on top of the issue, I work independently and ask for assistance if needed. I work alone so I do not have any coworkers I work with daily, except contact with my supervisor if I need assistance with something or need supplies.
Setting the standard for excellence
Assistant Director (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 29, 2014
Olathe is serious about developing employees and ensuring their well-being. They routinely solicit employee input and measure engagement.
Pros
Many learning and wellness programs.
Cons
Tight budget that requires innovative solutions
Excellent Place to work
Signs and Marking Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 9, 2014
A full day of planned and response work

Learned infastrcture process

Co-Workers were fair to excellent

Management was basically hands free and expected you to do your job w/ little supervision

Maintaining data base

Quitting time
Pros
A lot of freedom to do your job
Cons
Not always a lot of support when known problems reoccured
City of Olathe Water Plant/Process Operator
Water Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJuly 31, 2013
I was hired on as a Process Operator with no prior experience because of my technical abilities and aptitude to pick up quickly and contribute efficiently. Well after 6 months of employment, a partially torn knee ligament, and a car accident (none due to negligence) I only missed 1 and 1/2 days of work, so attendance was never an issue. I worked 40 hours in three days, Friday and Saturday 13.5 hrs. and Sunday 13 hrs. and did so being the only Operator most days. So this left my list of duties very long, a short list for example would be (2) plant checkouts (looking at every single gauge and instrument and documenting all the readings), washing up to (6) carbon based filters that filtered millions of gallon of h20 daily, sample collection from the source (Kansas river) and the numerous collection wells, then different water towers around the Olathe area, performing chemical analysis on all water samples (2) times per day as well, documenting all findings, plus weekly and monthly auxiliary duties and monthly and weekly computer training as well as studying information for Process Operator Certifications and this literally is just a very quick, short list and all of this was done for the hefty hourly wage of $13.67 or less than $30,000 a year. Not to mention working with this older man who was extremely lazy and very rude, never short on put downs or saying I needed to work faster. So anyways, what I'm getting to is that I was a good consistent worker and one morning as I was driving into work less than 1/4 mile from the plant I hit a deer, causing my car to veer and hit a telephone  more... pole as well, leaving me with a fairly bad concussion and bruising. Well, I subsequently suffered a seizure about a week later and was taken to the Veterans Hospital in KCMO, since I'm a vet as well. I wasn't found to have any drugs or alcohol in my system, they simply tied the seizure to the car wreck and after that I was given restrictions for 6 months from driving, climbing ladders, working around water unsupervised, basically most things my employment consisted of. So the City of Olathe instead of bringing a second operator on my shift as they had done in the past they simply fired me. So, not only was I fired for something that was totally out of my control, I also was denied Kansas State Unemployment Insurance because my VA Doctor filled my paperwork to the Dept. of Labor wrong, saying my return to work date was "Unknown" instead of simply stating I could return to work in any other occupation that didn't include my restrictions (which are numerous jobs). So, basically, I worked hard, had a non-fault accident and because they didn't want to speed up their hiring process for another operator or rotate other ones from other shifts (which there were ALWAYS volunteers for extra shifts aka Overtime, since the pay was so low) they simply fired me and fed me to the wolves.  less
Pros
Enjoyed the work in general a mix of tech, chemistry, labor, etc
Cons
Pay, shift hours, lack of organizational direction from management especially as the superitendent was retiring
Fast Paced
Human Resources Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Olathe KSMarch 5, 2013
A very busy place to work but it makes day moves very fast...I love that you stay busy all day so time goes by quickly. I love the diversity of the co-workers and the ability to meet new people everyday!
good place to work, if your single
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  City of OlatheDecember 7, 2012
Good place to work if your SINGLE. Good pay, however with the economy there is a pay freeze with no raises for several years. Good insurance. Can be fun at times. BUT If you have a family you can expect a very high divorce rate, no family time during the holidays and weekends, several midnight shifts, a very long time before you get good days off and forced overtime. You can also count on alot of stress, constant micro managing from your supervisors, citizen complaints, politics affecting your decissions, monday quarterbacking from your co-workers and the trouble of balancing your personal life. I guess if you can handle it then go for it, but its not for everyone.
Pros
ok pay/benefits, independent work, being outside
Cons
balancing family/personal life, shift work and management