City of Orlando Employee Reviews in United States

counseling and mentoring kids
Mentor/Counselor (Current Employee) –  orlando, S.C.March 24, 2016
I enjoy making a difference in peoples lives, helping kids achieve goals. Working with teachers and parents to make the children get motivated to graduate and prepare for college.
na
RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 1, 2016
care for children, create relationships with others of the community and be a role model to others, learned how to multitask due to fast pace career with many children to care for at once
Good
Maintenance Worker -Recreation October (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 27, 2015
The City of Orlando has good benefits and the employees are able to get teh job done. In order to see how the City Of Orlando operates, you have to become a employee.
Great agency!
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 2, 2015
Great agency to work for! I enjoyed working here and I could not think of a better police department. Lots of room for growth and excellent team environment. Amazing support!
Pros
Competitive pay!
Cons
N/A
Confidence (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 25, 2015
Love the experience but need to continue to develop professional.
Great job work/life balance.
Indirect compensation is exceptional.
Direct compensation is good but upward mobility is limited.
Co-workers are well experience and educated but training is limited.
Hardest part is the lack of opportunity to lead and move up into management.
Exceptional work environment with a great Wellness Program with Executive level leadership setting the example of Fitness.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Limited mobility ... stuck in City Hall
the overall filing system was a nightmare
Permit Technician II (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 13, 2015
In the permitting process, while filing plans it is much easier to go in grid layout to file plans because the City of Orlando did not file them this way they actually filed them by street name which was a nightmare filing system and that was enough stress where I decided to draw my retirement out of Nevada and resign from the City of Orlando. The upper management had no desire to change it to grid layout and make it easier for us to do our job.
Cons
pay is not worth what you have to do
Im not happy
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 7, 2015
Working as a counselor for the city of orlando has taught me a lot. I now have the ability to independently manage a large group of children all at one time. I've also learned great time management skills but I'm unhappy because theres no room to go in the company. I want something that better suits my career goals.
all in all it is a good place to work great benefits
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 3, 2015
we start early in the morning and get a lot done before it gets hot and you learn to deal with people. most of guys are easy to work with. the hardest part of the job is doing the roll outs. when you come to the end of the shift
Great organization to work for!
Code Enforcement Officer II (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 30, 2015
My typical day is arriving at 7:30am, I first check my email. After, I check my daily to see what type of complaints I have received that day and began researching these complaints of previous incidents. Once I have my daily organized I then go to the field and enforce potential code violations. I return to the office several hours later and I return any calls that I may have missed throughout the day. After that put together the necessary paperwork together to send out Notice of Violations. Day is complete at 4:40pm.

I have learned so much about the housing codes since starting with City of Orlando,

My boss is very intelligent, respectable, and most understanding boss that I have ever had.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with many different personalities out in the field.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with such great co workers each day. Could not ask for better co workers.
Pros
Benefits, hour lunches, and great environment to work in.
Cons
The work becomes repetious, does not challenge me mentally.
Only if you love kids
Recreation Instructor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 18, 2015
The politics of this work place is not for the faint at heart. You will be punished by lack of hours if you question the management, just question not go against. There is a blatant lack of consistency and show of staff favoritism.
Pros
kids, working out doors
Cons
lack of consistency, no breaks, scheduling
Great opportunity to become a leader.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 22, 2015
Working for the City of Orlando gave me leadership skills by giving me the opportunity to lead swim lessons with youth camps.
Pros
long breaks.
Cons
not enough hours per week.
Not what you think
Lead Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 2, 2015
The City of Orlando is beautiful, but not so great to work for. Once you have a certain position, it is very difficult to advance farther. You will be stuck in that position for years. The pay is decent but with all the budget cuts they do yearly, the hours are ridiculous. My department managers were very rude and terrible at their jobs. Their feedback was always vicious and had no constructive criticism behind it, just negative remarks. They were very snotty as well, of course, because they are the ones making the high pay checks above us "regular" employees. They don't take care of office issues, they leave it on the seasonal employees to take up all the duties they are suppose to handle. All in all, it's a great job if you need the money quickly and intend on not wanting to rank up. If you seek further advancement with a company, avoid this one.
Pros
great office experience, meet lots of people, own office cubicle
Cons
terrible management, low hours
Exciting and Fun place to work and I always met great people...
Neighborhood Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 19, 2014
This was the best job ever; however, I've since retired and am looking to move on to another area in the work field. I honestly loved working with the children, families and the senior citizens and have developed a close relationship as I continue to keep it touch with a lot of the children, families and seniors, I've come to know.

This was a fun job with plenty of room to grow! The Management team allowed Supervisors to develop a sense of ownership as we managed the facilities we oversaw. I had the awesome opportunity and privilege to design the "floor plan" of the Ivey Lane Recreation Site. Now that's ownership!

I will always feel that I'm a part of the City of Orlando's family!
Pros
working with and always meeting great people
Cons
long hours, but because it was a fun job to have, at the end of the day it was all worth it!
youth counselor
Youth Counselor/Mentor/Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  orlando flDecember 14, 2014
 *Addressed mental issues for youth with emotional difficulties or health issues
*Supervise and interact with children or teenagers, assisting them in resolving problems and ensuring their physical and emotional needs are being met
*Specialized in working with people with disabilities, and substance abuse youth counselors help youngsters overcome addiction issues
*Scheduling and coordinating activities, meeting with social workers and other professionals, writing reports and completing client paperwork
Pros
free lunches
Cons
very short breaks
Productive and Fun
BUSINESS SERVICES GROUP - Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FlOctober 31, 2014
I enjoyed working for the City of Orlando from 2011- to present. They always treat me like family and if I need anything they are accommodating to my schedule.
E-mail support and mobile device support
Application Administrator (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 26, 2014
I manage (3) applications that the City Of Orlando needs to function. The e-mail system, our ticketing system and our mobile devices. My day is spent ensuring these applications don't crash.

I've learned that applications crash.

Management has done there best to support our needs

The co-workers do their best to minimize downtime

The hardest part of the job is troubleshooting an issue with multiple people

The most enjoyable part is being the one who got it right when troubleshooting an issue with multiple people.
Pros
knowledge
Cons
overwhelming
Social Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Orlando,FLSeptember 17, 2014
Nice Experience Assisting the community
Good team work
Good management and co-workers
Fun work environment.
Marketing/Public Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 11, 2014
Worked independently, laid back management, nice co-workers.
it's a productive work place that provides fun and games ping pong tables pool tables
Maintenance Worker I (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 13, 2014
working in a recreation center is a fun loving invironment working with the on a daily bases.
Pros
serve lunchs
Cons
healthcare benefits
good
Assistant Auditor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 11, 2014
I enjoyed my time working there. Everyone was a harder worker and very nice.

4.2