City of Orlando Employee Reviews

REC LEADER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 19, 2016
Seasonal work, no benefits learned a lot about tennis from pro point of veiw, the orlando tennis center hosted by a 10,000 womans tournament 03/2016 & also have up coming tournaments
Pros
RELAXED WOEK CONDITIONS
Cons
NO BENEFITS
Work Procedures
Code Enforcement Officer III (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL 32802August 2, 2016
A typical day at work consist of taking a look at your daily task as far as the inspections that have been called in by citizens. Then following up with the complaints that have been called in. If the violation is present then the notices must be created with the proper violations listed. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with family's who are struggling just to keep the lights on. Then having someone like myself give you 48-72hrs to comply by getting the lights back on, if not the location is deemed uninhabitable forcing the family out of the house until the utilities are back on.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help family's when it comes to getting the property owner to correct violations that provide a safe environment for the family.
Confidence (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 25, 2015
Love the experience but need to continue to develop professional.
Great job work/life balance.
Indirect compensation is exceptional.
Direct compensation is good but upward mobility is limited.
Co-workers are well experience and educated but training is limited.
Hardest part is the lack of opportunity to lead and move up into management.
Exceptional work environment with a great Wellness Program with Executive level leadership setting the example of Fitness.
Pros
Work / Life balance
Cons
Limited mobility ... stuck in City Hall
Amazing
FPR (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 15, 2016
I love my job! Being fairly new to this industry I have adjusted quite well with the help awesome leadership. I feel supported & I am allowed to have work/life balance.
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  orlando floridaNovember 18, 2016
Great environment. Plenty of room for advancing in the workplace. If you enjoy meeting new people and expanding your horizons and from time to time working wih children then this is a great place to get involved.
Great job for inexperienced lifeguards
Lifeguard City Of Orlando Aquatics (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 30, 2016
Great company to work for and I enjoyed being able to work with different people. Hardest part of the job in my opinion is trying to get patrons to understand the rules, sometimes they just flat out ignore you. Overall it has been and still is a great experience.
Pros
Great Training, awesome co-workers
Cons
being a minor isnt so great, patrons sometimes won't agree with you.
Effectively partner (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 27, 2016
A typical day at work I will Make sure ever body and the facility is safe and nothing is wrong or going wrong in the building.
Great organization to work for!
Code Enforcement Officer II (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 30, 2015
My typical day is arriving at 7:30am, I first check my email. After, I check my daily to see what type of complaints I have received that day and began researching these complaints of previous incidents. Once I have my daily organized I then go to the field and enforce potential code violations. I return to the office several hours later and I return any calls that I may have missed throughout the day. After that put together the necessary paperwork together to send out Notice of Violations. Day is complete at 4:40pm.

I have learned so much about the housing codes since starting with City of Orlando,

My boss is very intelligent, respectable, and most understanding boss that I have ever had.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with many different personalities out in the field.

The most enjoyable part of my job is working with such great co workers each day. Could not ask for better co workers.
Pros
Benefits, hour lunches, and great environment to work in.
Cons
The work becomes repetious, does not challenge me mentally.
Not enough hours
Recreation Specialist/Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 11, 2016
It was watching kids during the summer and afternoon. However it wasn't a lot of hours and no enough pay. I love dealing with the kids.
Good
Maintenance Worker -Recreation October (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 27, 2015
The City of Orlando has good benefits and the employees are able to get teh job done. In order to see how the City Of Orlando operates, you have to become a employee.
Junior Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 28, 2016
If you love working with children, this is a great job for you. It's also a good way to pick up community service hours. Your duty is pretty much to supervise children and to interact with them.
Challenging fast paced company
Accounting Specialist Senior (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 31, 2013
Fast paced, staff shortage, no day ever the same. Good IT support, training available, excellent benefits package.

Management amiable and fair, co-workers friendly.

Very challenging environment, multiple tasks with limited staff to complete.

Assisting customers with their queries.
Pros
Free gym with classes, benefits package, longevity pay
Cons
Long overtime hours
Stable
Staff Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 11, 2012
This is a stable job, but little to no advancement. Good benefits and work conditions. Co workers are great, managers are acceptable; would like to see more interaction between the staff members.
Pros
learning about the commnuity, talking with the community
Cons
doing other people's and other department's jobs as per manager with no compensation
Has a good attendance record
Site Supervisor/Program Director Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 7, 2013
I often offers workable solutions to problems. I also use good judgment in solving problems and working with others. Quickly learns new software programs. Maintains and monitors progress of project plan in order to stay on target. Encourages staff to improve knowledge, abilities and skills.
Pros
no positions to excel into
Cons
no benefits
Great place to work: Good benefits, opportunites to advance if you're interested.
Community Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 21, 2012
Excellent place to work. I was able to advance when the opportunities to were available. I started as a word processing systems operator. I retired as a Community Service Officer.
Pros
good healthcare benefits
Exciting and Fun place to work and I always met great people...
Neighborhood Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLDecember 19, 2014
This was the best job ever; however, I've since retired and am looking to move on to another area in the work field. I honestly loved working with the children, families and the senior citizens and have developed a close relationship as I continue to keep it touch with a lot of the children, families and seniors, I've come to know.

This was a fun job with plenty of room to grow! The Management team allowed Supervisors to develop a sense of ownership as we managed the facilities we oversaw. I had the awesome opportunity and privilege to design the "floor plan" of the Ivey Lane Recreation Site. Now that's ownership!

I will always feel that I'm a part of the City of Orlando's family!
Pros
Working with and always meeting great people
Cons
Long hours, but because it was a fun job to have, at the end of the day it was all worth it!
it's a productive work place that provides fun and games ping pong tables pool tables
Maintenance Worker I (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 13, 2014
working in a recreation center is a fun loving invironment working with the on a daily bases.
Pros
serve lunchs
Cons
healthcare benefits
Not what you think
Lead Recreation Worker (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 2, 2015
The City of Orlando is beautiful, but not so great to work for. Once you have a certain position, it is very difficult to advance farther. You will be stuck in that position for years. The pay is decent but with all the budget cuts they do yearly, the hours are ridiculous. My department managers were very rude and terrible at their jobs. Their feedback was always vicious and had no constructive criticism behind it, just negative remarks. They were very snotty as well, of course, because they are the ones making the high pay checks above us "regular" employees. They don't take care of office issues, they leave it on the seasonal employees to take up all the duties they are suppose to handle. All in all, it's a great job if you need the money quickly and intend on not wanting to rank up. If you seek further advancement with a company, avoid this one.
Pros
great office experience, meet lots of people, own office cubicle
Cons
terrible management, low hours
na
RECEPTIONIST (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 1, 2016
care for children, create relationships with others of the community and be a role model to others, learned how to multitask due to fast pace career with many children to care for at once
counseling and mentoring kids
Mentor/Counselor (Current Employee) –  orlando, S.C.March 24, 2016
I enjoy making a difference in peoples lives, helping kids achieve goals. Working with teachers and parents to make the children get motivated to graduate and prepare for college.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Orlando. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3