CITY OF PALO ALTO Employee Reviews in United States

Water Resources Engineering/Storm Drain Intern (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 26, 2015
Very relaxed environment with lots of people to learn from. Work is light and management is very flexible with employees.
Pros
Pay is great!
Cons
City is expensive
What to know about me!
pool manager (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 16, 2015
I know how to problem solve on my own and always look for a way to respectfully improve an operation. I have learned how to ask the right questions and coach team members not only on the “how”, but the “why” I was born with the ability to show up everyday with a positive attitude, lots of energy and a consistent urge to learn new things.
A really nice place to work
Admin Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJune 3, 2015
I enjoyed working in the Parks Department. I worked with wonderful people, I learned a lot on this job, I have wonderful management.
Pros
Great people, wonderful job
Very productive opportunity
Interim OES Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 22, 2014
The role of Emergency Manager for any city requires a varied skill set along with patience and a true love for the job. Managing the Emergency Operation Center, writing Emergency Operation Procedures, representing the city with various groups and councils, managing the dedicated and disparate citizen volunteers are just a few of the tasks a manager deals with. I was sad when the contract ended.
A challenging but satisfying place to work in.
Planner (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 24, 2014
A challenging but satisfying place to work in. Smart environment to work in. Location is excellent, in Palo Alto downtown.
I like to work with customer's computer problem/error
Intern (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 18, 2014
Working as an IT technician position learns so much new things which never ends. That how I like it. Working as a team give me motivation because I get to share if I know the answer and the other people get a chance to share too. When I solved the customer's problem, that gives me happiness and motivation. New day, new problems dealing is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Scrutinizing, Secretive and Weird
police (Former Employee) –  city of palo altoNovember 9, 2013
There's a creepy HR system they use to secretly decide things about the employees. They will lock you out of everything and refuse to tell you why. WEIRDOS.
Pros
good government benefits
Cons
paranoid and non-communicative management
Flexible, Professional, generous with hours
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAAugust 13, 2013
My supervisor was always courteous, asking me if I needed or wanted additional hours each week. I was given excellent opportunity to teach and coach athletes in the fundamental skills and strategies of various sports, such as football, basketball, tennis and track. I learned to communicate with the parents through email, eliminating any delay with responses to scheduling questions. The parents were always appreciative of my leadership and respect for their children, rewarding me with gifts at the end of each season.
Local government
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAMarch 6, 2013
City Hall is a very interesting place to work, and, when I was there, Palo Alto city employees were almost all awesome people.
It is productive place but depends to much on person to do many may things. No backup provided.
Sr. NETWORK ENGINEER/Sr. SYSTEM ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAFebruary 20, 2013
City is one of the innovator and user of technology. A great place to work but lately it has become a corporate environment and the culture has changed to extreme stress and fear. I perform dozens of technical solutions and provide them everyday. The hardest part of my job is getting materials on time. My co-workers are great and very helpful.I have learned patience working with City PD & FD departments. I have done over 200 project for the City since I joined.
Pros
offers opportunity to move around
Cons
i wear too many hats and do many projects at the same time
hard work
TEMP MAINTENANCE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 12, 2013
• Labor work golf course maintenance
• Mowed greens and raked sand traps
• Worked with many different types of heavy equipment
Pros
good pay
Cons
lots of workers
it was a good contract job
meter reader (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 17, 2012
nice people, nice environment- but only a contract- walked approx 10 miles a day reading meters.
Pros
staying active walking 10 miles a day
Cons
contract
years of experience
System Water Operator - State Licensed D3 / #27786 (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 1, 2012
cpa invested a lot of time and money into my education, that is very important to me, advancement should be a part of the culture in all places of work, my time with the city was mostly very good.
Pros
learned a great deal, great city

CITY OF PALO ALTO Reviews by Location