CITY OF PASADENA

CITY OF PASADENA United States Employee Reviews

Good for people looking for stability with little potential for layoffs
Technology Support (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: stable work with little worry for staffing reductions., there are many good people that care about their work.
Cons: pay is typically lower, retention of quality staff is difficult for some job functions., work ethic and passion could be better for some staff.
slower environment then is typical in the private sector. If you're used to a fast paced job this isn't the place you will thrive unless you can adjust to a slower pace. It can become frustrating if you're used to getting the work done at a relatively even pace.

As with any government work, with elections comes changes in top level management as well it brings shift in priorities. This can be both good/bad or neutral depending on where a person resides in the organization. It had no impact on my position or feeling regarding my experience while employed.
Nice place to work
Payroll Accountant (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 7, 2015
I enjoy the atmosphere and the people. Great place to work.
The finance department is well put together and everyone works as a team.
Productive work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: the assignment was over.
The City of Pasadena was a very good experience that changed my life. The people were very pleasant to be around. The employees are very supportive people.
N/A
Volunteer Firefighter I (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXOctober 20, 2014
The mission of the Pasadena Fire Department is to prevent and minimize the loss of life and property of the Citizens and fire service personnel; to mitigate the consequences of natural and man-made disasters; to provide emergency and non-emergency support services; and to safeguard the environment and economic base of our Community. -PVFD Mission Statement
the management needs more training and lead worker
Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee), CASeptember 9, 2014
not a fun place to be on there crew i was on i had to deal with the supervisor and lead worker yell all the time for no reason and then he would look for me to do his job for him. i wasnt lead work thats what his job title was.
Horrible Management/Director
EHS (Current Employee), 1845 S. Fair Oaks Ave., Pasadena CA 91803August 26, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: management plays favorites and will make you suffer if youre not one of her puppets
Management is horrible and far the worst experience I have ever had in my entire life by a manager. Ive never been so attacked by upper management in my life. This individual is very absent minded and constantly blamed me for loosing things I was NEVER given. This was a very stressful job to have. Hopefully the next person doesnt have to suffer as much as I did. If you do consider this position thats available now, make sure that you cater to upper management and verify everything thats given to you with email correspondence so you have proof if a dispute arises.
Productive work environment
Staff at the park (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAAugust 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch, open to the public and etc
Cons: no breaks really
This job consented of working with kids from the ages 4-13 years of age. It was a summer day camp the kids would get drop off from 8-5, was the latest.We provide snacks, games, went on field trips every Friday and went swimming every day, took them to the library and etc. I love this job because i love kids and being around them.
positive and enjoyable
Recreation Leader II (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJuly 24, 2014
the environment was placid when it needed to be but fun and upbeat 80% of the time
Productive Fast paced-enviroment
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAMay 22, 2014
A typical day in Park and Natural resources is start the day with a morning meeting. then we pick up trash in all the 16 parks on the westside of pasadena,ca. We also wash out the restrooms and cut the grass and pull weeds if necessary. Maintaining each park to a high standard is are job
end dump driver/equipment op
Contracted Driver in Transportation (Former Employee), Pasadena,caMay 2, 2014
Pros: always worked with great people
Cons: where was none
up at 4am out the door@5AM Drive to yard ck truck drive to Pasadena start my day@ 630 am .drive loader fill end dump with materials &take to dump.I try to learn something each&every day ,management has never been a problem iv always been a strong work well with others person&my co-workers are people I have always worked very well with.hardest part of my day is to stop at a set time for breaks or lunch when im working.becoming friends and having a great place to work is the best.
Great place
Principal Operations Specialist (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAMarch 31, 2014
Work at the City of Pasadena has been very rewarding and it is a great place to work and grow professionally.
Technical Support Tech II (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Excellent work life balance. A great place to introduce to new technologies.
Had to Leave
Manager (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: great city
Cons: bad leadership
I enjoyed most of my career here but current city leadership really doesn't care about employees and it shows. Some leaders may even be proud of it. If you're looking for a thriving career you may want to look elsewhere. The structure of the org has been consistently chaotic for years.
Highly rewarding
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee), Pasadena, CADecember 12, 2013
Excellent place of employment. Highly recommended. The employees and staff are cordial and are motivated to serve the public with a high degree of motivation and determination.
Great Work Environment with a Various Work Load
Principal Power Dispatcher (Current Employee), Pasadena, CANovember 26, 2013
Pros: flexible lunch times and open communication with management to address any concerns immediately.
Cons: call out requirement and rotating shift work.
This job is the greatest job I have ever had. The work is challenging and fast paced as the work environment is in a dynamic flux. Having a presence in the control center at the hub of an electrical utility power distribution system is quite awe inspiring and very exciting. We work with a crew of two dispatchers monitoring the system with a coordinator and a supervisor to oversee operations, policy and procedures. They make it so the focus of the system operators is uninterrupted and worry free. The upper management is friendly with very clear executive leadership and a dynamic vision. The hardest part of the job is leaving everyday because the level of commitment is so intense by all employees that they just do not want to leave. There is great camaraderie within the crews and open communication is not only essential but encouraged.
As a whole, this field is an exciting field to work in, but at this job site, there is an unique and enjoyable work experience to be had.
Fast pace
Assisting customers (Former Employee), Pasadena CaOctober 16, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: temporary position
This was a temporary position that lasted for some years and they were wonderful. I assisted customer with bills taking as many as 150-200 calls a day. The people I worked with were easy to get along with and the hardest part was when we would get threats because customer electric would get turned off and they would come in and threaten to hurt management but we worked about 100 feet from the police department so we always felt safe.
volunteer (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJune 3, 2013
The city of pasadena is full of culture and history. its full of great people and co-workers.
Municipal Government
Various Clerical/Administrative (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXMay 17, 2013
Pros: fantastic benefits. friendly co-workers. get to work with the public.
Cons: don't have enough job openings to the public. promote internally.
Held various clerical/adminsitrative positions. Typical day of entering purchase requisitions, greeting visitors or vendors, accepting payments, maintaining databases and excel spreadsheets, preparing correspondence and email, answer multi-line phone system, maintain files.
Productive fast paced department at the City
Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAApril 3, 2013
Pros: great benefits and pension plan
Cons: work hours could be long with night community meetings.
Each day was different because of the diversity of the redevelopment being accomplished in the City. All co workers were expert in their field. The management was not far removed. A very personable place to work. Interaction with the community was always a new learning experience.
Worked along with the Sanitation crews
Sanitation Crew Member (Former Employee), 2102 E Southmore Pasadena TXFebruary 1, 2013
I helped pick up the cities refuge. We worked very hard to make sure we kept the city clean.