CITY OF PASADENA Employee Reviews

Working by Choice and Not by Force
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 7, 2015
As I worked in a department of 80 employees; it wasn't difficulty to be able to get along well. Our department consist of carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, mechanics, management and secretaries. We understood that we are human beings which lead to team players. This created a fun and enjoyable work environment. Sure there were disagreements but there was mutual respect for one another as human beings. We had weekly committee meetings such as Management, Employee Advisory, and Organizational Training, etc. We became familiar with each section job responsibilities in case of short coverage. The meetings kept us focus on the "Big Picture". You know, the organizational vision and value. Every job responsibility exerts a high level of effort and perseveres towards goal attainment.
Pros
Employee Appreciation Day, parties, extra day off, free lunches, promotions
Cons
agree to disagree
City of pasadena
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Transportation Dept / Customer ServiceMarch 1, 2016
Fast paced upbeat environment with great people to work with, and
there's always more to learn. Classes for self advancement are always available for employees via email wich is awesome.
The hardest part about this employer is my assignment ending.
Pros
Great working Enviroment
Cons
Assignment ending
Ok.
City Marshal (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXMarch 10, 2016
Looking to start a new career. Enjoy working with the general public, enjoy out door sports, boating and hunting. Would enjoy working at Cabela's.
Pros
Enjoy working.
Cons
none.
Productive and fun workplce.
Child Attendant (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXAugust 6, 2016
A day at work is never boring. I learned to have much more patience. My coworkers are hardworking and outgoing. The hardest part of the job is getting kids to listen. The most enjoyable part of the job is hearing kids stories about anything and everything.
Pros
hour lunch break
Cons
not many kids go sometimes
Great job.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXAugust 25, 2016
A typical day at work was enjoying the sun and nice cold swimming water, but also being on guard and making sure everyone at or in the pool is safe. Management was great, co-workers were friendly, and everything about the job seemed enjoyable to me.
Main career, worked there for 18 years from clerk to collections manager.
Collections Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TxSeptember 5, 2012
A very busy workplace, fast paced, municiple court balanced work schedule in that half day spent interacting with public and half day spent on paperwork and computer system updates. I learned many things in 18 years please see resume. Management good, co-workers good. Hardest part of job was preparing warrants for arrest, but necessary for position. I enjoyed my final few years there when I saw the revenues coming in a visual reward for hard work.
Pros
good benefits, retirement, opportunity to advance.
Cons
politics.
Work enviorment has changed
Construction Inspector II (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 19, 2015
Pasadena is a great place to work. Culture, diversity and history make Pasadena a challenge. There is never a day that doesn't have something interesting going on.
Great job
Maint Tech 1 (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, TXFebruary 22, 2016
This is a great job, the only problem this that I don't like the rotating schedule and working at night. If it wasn't for the schedule it would be ok.
Productive environment with room to learn and grow
Community Youth Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJuly 9, 2015
A typical day consisted of picking up members, signing them in, and helping them with homework.
I learned how to work on my interpersonal skills, organization, mentoring, filing paperwork, and assessing situations.
Management was effective.
The hardest part of the job was establishing rules and respect for members at the center and not having parents follow through at home.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I made a difference in the lives of the children I was mentoring.
Productive environment
Mash Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  pasadenaSeptember 20, 2015
very organized and clean warehouse. loved being able to chose my own schedule. many opportunity for advancement there
A fantastic place to work
Sr. Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXSeptember 25, 2015
answer phone, service public, and contractors, I have learned how to issue city licenses, business licenses., The manager was to much of a push over, they would just run over her. So of my co-workers in the office were ok, The hardest thing for me was to know where I stood as a assistant manager ( Sr. Office assistant)., I enjoyed getting to know my customers and contractors.
Pros
We would get to gether and have a pot luck
Cons
Sometimes it was hard to get a vacation.
Productive fast paced department at the City
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 3, 2013
Each day was different because of the diversity of the redevelopment being accomplished in the City. All co workers were expert in their field. The management was not far removed. A very personable place to work. Interaction with the community was always a new learning experience.
Pros
great benefits and pension plan
Cons
work hours could be long with night community meetings.
Good for people looking for stability with little potential for layoffs
Technology Support (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TXJanuary 16, 2015
slower environment then is typical in the private sector. If you're used to a fast paced job this isn't the place you will thrive unless you can adjust to a slower pace. It can become frustrating if you're used to getting the work done at a relatively even pace.

As with any government work, with elections comes changes in top level management as well it brings shift in priorities. This can be both good/bad or neutral depending on where a person resides in the organization. It had no impact on my position or feeling regarding my experience while employed.
Pros
stable work with little worry for staffing reductions., there are many good people that care about their work.
Cons
pay is typically lower, retention of quality staff is difficult for some job functions., work ethic and passion could be better for some staff.
Challenging work environment
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 19, 2015
Working for the City of Pasadena was a very big challenge. The city is extremely busy from January 1st to December 31st. There was a lot of activity in all departments. The challenge forced you to be organized and disciplined. This was the positive aspect of working for the city. On occasion there were times were work was not completed on time. This was not on purpose but due to the workload. I enjoyed the excitement of the city and the employees who managed all the departments.
Pros
Beautiful city
Cons
heavy work load
Great
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CANovember 18, 2015
Great company to work for great group of people who trained me and helped me alot they where very understanding and greatful of my services..
Management is Terrible
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena,CAJanuary 10, 2013
Until we get a new city manager and management team, I wouldn't recommend it. Fantastic place to work if you can stay as far away from management as possible.
Pros
great healthcare, benefits, hard working colleagues, smart people
Cons
management is terrible
Goal oriented with an empahsis on teamwork
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 13, 2012
Typical day at work consisted of Case Management for clients who were dislocated from their jobs and seeking new employment and/or training opportunities. Conducting workshops and doing administrative work to ensure that they were attached back to the labor force. I learned so much from my job, most importantly it taught me how to facilitate and implement government programs and run them successfully. My co-workers were great and we worked well as a team unit. The hardest part of my job was dealing with hard to serve population who had multiple barriers to employment. The most enjoyable was watching clients get excited and overjoyed when they find employment and are able to provide for themselves and their families.
Horrible Management/Director
EHS (Current Employee) –  1845 S. Fair Oaks Ave., Pasadena CA 91803August 26, 2014
Management is horrible and far the worst experience I have ever had in my entire life by a manager. Ive never been so attacked by upper management in my life. This individual is very absent minded and constantly blamed me for loosing things I was NEVER given. This was a very stressful job to have. Hopefully the next person doesnt have to suffer as much as I did. If you do consider this position thats available now, make sure that you cater to upper management and verify everything thats given to you with email correspondence so you have proof if a dispute arises.
Pros
pay
Cons
management plays favorites and will make you suffer if youre not one of her puppets
Interesting and fun workplace
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 6, 2012
A typical day is very fast-paced working with great managers and co-workers to really progress and the most enjoyable part of my position is learning new information consistently from various team members and the hardest part of my role is just getting acclimated to the organization's structure and departments which will take time during my internship duration learning recruiting, staffing, onboarding, benefits, and HR administration.
Pros
free parking, close to restaurants, ex: cpk, starbucks and a lot of good retail stores.
Cons
long walk to car
end dump driver/equipment op
Contracted Driver in Transportation (Former Employee) –  Pasadena,caMay 2, 2014
up at 4am out the door@5AM Drive to yard ck truck drive to Pasadena start my day@ 630 am .drive loader fill end dump with materials &take to dump.I try to learn something each&every day ,management has never been a problem iv always been a strong work well with others person&my co-workers are people I have always worked very well with.hardest part of my day is to stop at a set time for breaks or lunch when im working.becoming friends and having a great place to work is the best.
Pros
always worked with great people
Cons
where was none

4.3