CITY OF PASADENA Employee Reviews

The most enjoyable part of the job
RECREATION LEADER (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAAugust 26, 2015
Pros: flexable hours
Cons: no healthcare
It is a fun place to work for the company with a supportive manament. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Challenging work environment
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Beautiful city
Cons: heavy work load
Working for the City of Pasadena was a very big challenge. The city is extremely busy from January 1st to December 31st. There was a lot of activity in all departments. The challenge forced you to be organized and disciplined. This was the positive aspect of working for the city. On occasion there were times were work was not completed on time. This was not on purpose but due to the workload. I enjoyed the excitement of the city and the employees who managed all the departments.
Productive environment with room to learn and grow
Community Youth Advisor (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJuly 9, 2015
A typical day consisted of picking up members, signing them in, and helping them with homework.
I learned how to work on my interpersonal skills, organization, mentoring, filing paperwork, and assessing situations.
Management was effective.
The hardest part of the job was establishing rules and respect for members at the center and not having parents follow through at home.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I made a difference in the lives of the children I was mentoring.
Library
Pasadena Public Library (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXJune 20, 2015
It was a good environment to work, helping customers if needed, cleaning my work space and others, organizing event or books in their proper shelf's
very easy going
Recreation Representative (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXJune 17, 2015
Pros: very easy job
Cons: none
everyone was super nice and fun to work with. there wasn't anything hard about this job. everyday was so much fun. i loved interacting with the children each day and playing games with them. we got to make up new games and teach them to the kids.
Great job to grow in
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJune 11, 2015
great environment loved to work with others and accomplished my job duties. loved challenges and completing my job assignments that where given
Really great place to work and have fun you get to be out in the sun by the pool and get a tan
Manager/Certified Pool Operator (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXJune 9, 2015
i was a manager so I would I come and test the pool chlorine level, check the deck and water for any debree. Open up the pool to the public and make sure everyone is doing fine.

I learned the necessary skills to save a life such as CPR, First Aid.

Learned to be a Certified Pool Operator, as well as a Lifeguard Instructor

Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to teach people life saving skills.
Good for people looking for stability with little potential for layoffs
Technology Support (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: stable work with little worry for staffing reductions., there are many good people that care about their work.
Cons: pay is typically lower, retention of quality staff is difficult for some job functions., work ethic and passion could be better for some staff.
slower environment then is typical in the private sector. If you're used to a fast paced job this isn't the place you will thrive unless you can adjust to a slower pace. It can become frustrating if you're used to getting the work done at a relatively even pace.

As with any government work, with elections comes changes in top level management as well it brings shift in priorities. This can be both good/bad or neutral depending on where a person resides in the organization. It had no impact on my position or feeling regarding my experience while employed.
Nice place to work
Payroll Accountant (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 7, 2015
I enjoy the atmosphere and the people. Great place to work.
The finance department is well put together and everyone works as a team.
Productive work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: people
Cons: the assignment was over.
The City of Pasadena was a very good experience that changed my life. The people were very pleasant to be around. The employees are very supportive people.
N/A
Volunteer Firefighter I (Former Employee), Pasadena, TXOctober 20, 2014
The mission of the Pasadena Fire Department is to prevent and minimize the loss of life and property of the Citizens and fire service personnel; to mitigate the consequences of natural and man-made disasters; to provide emergency and non-emergency support services; and to safeguard the environment and economic base of our Community. -PVFD Mission Statement
the management needs more training and lead worker
Maintenance Worker II (Former Employee), CASeptember 9, 2014
not a fun place to be on there crew i was on i had to deal with the supervisor and lead worker yell all the time for no reason and then he would look for me to do his job for him. i wasnt lead work thats what his job title was.
Horrible Management/Director
EHS (Current Employee), 1845 S. Fair Oaks Ave., Pasadena CA 91803August 26, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: management plays favorites and will make you suffer if youre not one of her puppets
Management is horrible and far the worst experience I have ever had in my entire life by a manager. Ive never been so attacked by upper management in my life. This individual is very absent minded and constantly blamed me for loosing things I was NEVER given. This was a very stressful job to have. Hopefully the next person doesnt have to suffer as much as I did. If you do consider this position thats available now, make sure that you cater to upper management and verify everything thats given to you with email correspondence so you have proof if a dispute arises.
Productive work environment
Staff at the park (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAAugust 14, 2014
Pros: free lunch, open to the public and etc
Cons: no breaks really
This job consented of working with kids from the ages 4-13 years of age. It was a summer day camp the kids would get drop off from 8-5, was the latest.We provide snacks, games, went on field trips every Friday and went swimming every day, took them to the library and etc. I love this job because i love kids and being around them.
positive and enjoyable
Recreation Leader II (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJuly 24, 2014
the environment was placid when it needed to be but fun and upbeat 80% of the time
Productive Fast paced-enviroment
Maintenance Assistant (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAMay 22, 2014
A typical day in Park and Natural resources is start the day with a morning meeting. then we pick up trash in all the 16 parks on the westside of pasadena,ca. We also wash out the restrooms and cut the grass and pull weeds if necessary. Maintaining each park to a high standard is are job
end dump driver/equipment op
Contracted Driver in Transportation (Former Employee), Pasadena,caMay 2, 2014
Pros: always worked with great people
Cons: where was none
up at 4am out the door@5AM Drive to yard ck truck drive to Pasadena start my day@ 630 am .drive loader fill end dump with materials &take to dump.I try to learn something each&every day ,management has never been a problem iv always been a strong work well with others person&my co-workers are people I have always worked very well with.hardest part of my day is to stop at a set time for breaks or lunch when im working.becoming friends and having a great place to work is the best.
Technical Support Tech II (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 16, 2014
Excellent work life balance. A great place to introduce to new technologies.
Had to Leave
Manager (Former Employee), Pasadena, CAJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: great city
Cons: bad leadership
I enjoyed most of my career here but current city leadership really doesn't care about employees and it shows. Some leaders may even be proud of it. If you're looking for a thriving career you may want to look elsewhere. The structure of the org has been consistently chaotic for years.
Highly rewarding
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee), Pasadena, CADecember 12, 2013
Excellent place of employment. Highly recommended. The employees and staff are cordial and are motivated to serve the public with a high degree of motivation and determination.