City of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Professional place to work
Customer Service Rep/medical clerk (Former Employee) –  Customer Service RepresentativeMarch 14, 2017
Worked for City of Philadelphia 33 yrs, Advanced all my skills during my employment. Was able to advance to higher salary through promotions. During my time in the Finance dept I learned payroll skills and other advancement skills to enhance my future promotions. During my time at the Health Dept. I was able to communicate in a very professional manner working with Drs and nurses. The hardest part of my job was when I had to call patients in for an abnormal test. I had to learn to listen and comfort patients.
Is was a great place to work. My co workers were great work with it was just a great environment.
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 9, 2016
I had to check customers out at customer service and go over their orders to make sure thins were accurate before delivery,also answering phones and taking call from customers who may have a problem and I would do my best to get it solved so that the customer could satisfied.counting and handling large sums of money daily, working on computers daily. Calling customers to ask some questions on their deliveries and if they were satisfied or were they any problems daily.
Pros
Great environment, office parties
Cons
Didn't have full time so no benefits
It's a great place to expand your knowledge
Heavy Truck Driver 1 (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 11, 2017
Great place to work benefits great and very nice management you have to be very invested when working here because this is a full time job. The hardest part of working here is you don't get to choose where you want to live meaning you have to live in the county
City of Philadelphia
Wage Compliance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 8, 2017
I enjoyed working for the City of Philadelphia and also the people I worked with. There were lots of room for job advancement, and learning opportunities.
Pros
Guaranteed work
Cons
Salary for city workers
Little room for advancement
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 2, 2017
A job that offers typical benefits and little room for advancing or pursuing professional development endeavors. There is good job security however.
Crabs in a barrel.
LABORER (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 17, 2016
The job itself was simple enough. the work is very hard on the body. Long days. the benefits were really good at one point but started to diminish around the time i resigned. the pay should definitely be more base on the conditions your are required to work under. the day goes as follows:
You come into your area and sign in with your sup.
You get your truck assignment and head out to start your collection. Once your assignment is completed and you have reached your min weight requirement you head to the designated dump then back to the yard to either go home or do overtime.
The job has its ups and downs
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 24, 2016
I was a driver/labor. You had your cold days and your hot ones. I learned how to drive a truck with airbrakes and how to matinees your vehicle. Management was cool my co-workers were great the hardest part was working on a 90 degree day the most enjoyable was talking to the public while working.
Pros
benifets
Cons
no raise and annual cost of living raise was bad
Great environment
Clerical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 13, 2016
This company is a good company and the benefits are great. It is more like a family environment and if there is a problem everyone helps out.
Productive and enjoyable working experience.
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2016
I retired from the City of Philadelphia after 23 years of crossing guard

I enjoyed every minute of it. I think the City of Philadelphia was a wonderful employer. I had good health benefits which carried over for five years after I retired. A typical day of work was dealing with children, and parents and the public. I had many friends and felt very important keeping these children safe.. I met many interesting people and learned how to get along with many different people.

I had many holidays and administrative days also enough sick time.

The hardest part of my job was the weather. The most enjoyable was the children.
Pros
Healthcare, paid holidays, paid sickdays. pension.
Cons
Weather
productive
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 21, 2016
its an experience, i would recommend people to serve the public.
you are able to manager yourself while working 8 hours a day and your offered overtime.
benefits
Cons
short breaks
Day to Day work
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 2, 2016
Breaking the city floor while using a jack hammer was really fun.
I learned how important this job was to work and fix up the roads.
Management was strict but pushed me to my high potential.
Hardest part was i was getting paid Per day instead of a weeks check.
Pros
great first time job for a teen
Cons
benefits, free lunches, day pay
Potential good transition job
Senior Director (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 8, 2016
This is a very difficult culture to adapt to after working in the private sector. Accountability and results are replaced with self-promotion and agree-ability. If you blindly agree with everything management says, you will do well in this environment. If you dare to think outside of the box or suggest alternative directions, you will find your career stagnates.
Pros
easy work schedule, no accountability
Cons
Low pay, limited chances to advance without a political sponsor
Great Opportunity
Administrative Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 24, 2016
Hard work pays off. 1st you take a civil service test, then interview foir an opening. Advancement is through civil service testing
Pros
great benefits
Cons
pay scale is on lower side
This is a very reputable and stable employer
Title Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 14, 2016
Work will vary within each department and with vary with experience. Unionized and Non Union positions are posted each week. Benefits will vary with each Union.
Pros
Stable, Steady work
Cons
HR time managers sometimes are unknowledgable with rules regarding time off
secured and enjoyable workplace
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 3, 2017
* greeting and assisting employees and visitors that entered the building.
* I learned how to check the whole building in 15-20 mins per day to make sure building was secured.
* management was great. Always available if needed further assistance; and worked well with security to assure the safety of the building.
* workplace culture was like a revolving door.
* the hardest part of the job was trying to stay warm in the winter, because the temperature in building dropped at night.
* the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and greeting the people.
Pros
managed security of building alone - no supervision
Cons
sometimes got lonely being by ones self.
Horrible Workplace
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 22, 2016
Typical work day consist of verbal abuse and harrassment. I learned discrimination still exist. Management is a cult of old (senior) employees who are not productive in any way, come to work to play games on cells, eat, cigarette breaks, and to steal company time. The coworkers that have seniority of 5+ years are horrible, miserable old ladies who treat patients like dirt. The ones that are younger and have less seniority are great.

The hardest part of the job is know this abuse carries on and there is no one to report to because the union and managers work together to get rid of people who talk.

The most enjoyable part of the job is trying to make a difference in someones life.
benefits
Cons
horrible bosses
The City can be a fun job
Communications Center Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 5, 2017
As with any Municipal Government, it can be challenging, but it is what you make it.Keep your eyes open and work hard. I learned a lot about the workings of Goverment.
Great Team
Assistant City Solicitor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 29, 2016
Worked with a great team of attorneys. Not a competitive environment. Everyone helped each other out and we all problem-solved together. Excellent management.
It is an excellent work environment and room for growth.
CORA (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2016
I wouldn't change anything about what I do or the people I work with. It is a very rewarding career. Working with the public some may say is strenuous at times but due to having supervisors that are caring and have an open door policy, it makes it wonderful.
City of Philadelphia
Customer Collection Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 14, 2016
Was fortunate to have the opportunity to serve and help the public on behalf of the City Of Philadelphia. From answering questions, resolving tax debts, an reassuring smile, that all concerns will be addressed properly. Begin career in the Tax Discovery Unit and received promotions within three City Of Philadelphia Departments. Have administered a variety of City Hiring Exams, issued Tax Clearance Certificates, Tobacco License, etc. Exposed to a fast, confidential environment, where respect, integrity and professionalism, is what the public deserves everyday.
Pros
Enjoyed serving the public
Cons
Union/Management ongoing issues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Philadelphia. Our community is ready to answer.