City of Philadelphia

City of Philadelphia Employer Reviews

good part time job
school crossing guard (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJuly 8, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: no over time
its a great work place .. you work close to home. the children needs your help
Municipal Goverment
311 Call Center Agent (Current Employee), City HallJune 19, 2014
Pros: information on city departments
Cons: contract negotiation w/mayor, healthcare, mandatory overtime
A typical day at work is busy and most often times hectic and exhausting. Working with the constituents of the city of Philadelphia can be very taxing because many city departments are not functioning as effectively as they should, which leaves the residents very frustrated and the frustration in often directed towards the 311 call center agents.

Working – more... in the 311 call center has taught me a lot about city services and departments and their daily operating functions.

The co-workers are a great group of people, always willing to offer help and support.

The hardest part of the job, is attempting to provide information to residents that are so irate that they refuse to listen.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is receiving a call back from a resident expressing their satisfaction for a resolved issue and accommodating me for my exceptional customer service. – less
Productive Business Oriented Workplace.
Data Services Support Clerk (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 29, 2014
Pros: hour lunch breaks and two 15 minute breaks, health and dental benefits, paid vacation, sick leave
Cons: you only get four or five step increases in pay but after that, your raises are based on whatever contracts the union agrees to with the city
A typical day at work is having enough work to last me through the day and enjoying the company of my co-workers.
I have learned that you have to make sure you have a good work ethic because people look at that and your work ethic may determine how far you advance in the workplace.
My co-workers are good people to work with for the most part but sometimes – more... I wish some of my co-workers would stop complaining about everything and just do what the job requires.
The hardest part of the job is sometimes working around people that make a big deal about every little thing.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the work I do. I enjoy entering data into the computers and it makes life so much more enjoyable when you can go to a job you don't mind doing. – less
Very Stale
Auditor I (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 29, 2014
Not good place to work at all, Too much politics, bad for growth, very bad career choice, cold co workers, harsh office politics. Ignorant and incompetent staff
Great Work Experience
Manager, Risk Management Services (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 12, 2014
Worked with many insurance brokers and carriers, on behalf of City of Philadelphia, School District of Philadelphia and a number of social service entities supported by the city. Worked directly with departments to assist with Insurance and Risk Management needs.
Productive and fun place to work.
Customer Sevice Rep (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 21, 2014
Pros: lunch breaks
Very busy on the phones and entering information to the computer.
To a lot about handling stress customers.
Management where great and my co-workers were great to work with.
Hardest part of the job none.
Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to calm customers and help them in there situation.
Great workplace
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAApril 19, 2014
I love my job as well as my co-workers, I have learned a lot. Management could be better but overall a great experience.
Food Coordinator
Food Coordinator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 31, 2014
Monitor play streets, check meals for spoilage, check and sign documents for each week.
Priuctive PLace to work
Fire Lieutenant (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 20, 2014
Pros: working in a team
Cons: seeing others hurt
I was able to gain experience in leading a group of others. It was a great experience in working with others. I was able to see families saved and help them to be rescued.
It's a job
Court Interviewer & Monitoring Asst (Part-time) (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: i got a pension and i was just part time
Cons: it's a municipal job, no bells and whistles . . . at all
It goes without saying that governments have to hire their own. You can't outsource it India. If we could governments would run better.
Can not predict the unknown.
Philadelphia Police Officer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 15, 2014
Pros: working with the public and pay
Cons: long hours
Busy not much time for breaks always busy. You are your own man in this line of work. You are held accountable for your actions.
A decent job, but not my long term goal.
Monitor (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 6, 2014
Pros: rewarding experience, some sort of income.
Cons: no advancement, little hours, not my desired career field.
The job is rewarding in the sense that you get to work with children and help teach them something new, but there is no room for advancement and doesn't allow me to use my degree in any way. This job mostly serves as a means for me to keep an income, even though it is not very substantial. All my coworkers are very good, but they don't view this current – more... job as a stepping stone as I do. Any management figures I have dealt with from the City of Philadelphia have been great. – less
There are a lot of good things, outside being one of the best.
Police Officer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 5, 2014
Pros: good people and good officer's
Cons: just the opposite from above
My career with the police department has been nothing but great. The few bad experiences I have had with this job certainly do not out weigh the good.
minimal supervision. allowed to make your own decisions.
Court Clerk (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: minimal supervision.
Cons: work load was sometimes very heavy.
Best part of the job you got to work with different judges and experience various types of cases. I learned alot of independence and to make crucial decisions. Co-workers were always available to help out. Hardest part was trying to listen to some very horrible situations as the trials were going on. Most enjoyable part seeing justice being served.
Worked for City of Philadelphia for a total of 28 years until retirement. Enjoyed all my time there.
Tax Enforcement Administrator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: excellent healthcare, great managers, felt my work was appreciated by them.
Work day started at 8:00 AM. Would talk with my supervisors to see what agenda was for the day. Review list for any problems that may have come up for sheriff sales. Go over any other work which would come to me during course of week such as hardship agreement, payments or settlements. Learned that I truly enjoyed helping taxpayers resolve issues with – more... real estate tax. My interaction with management was very good. Felt that managers trusted my decisions and gave me complete authority. Knew that if I would come to them if there were any problems. Doing a particular illness, managers worked with me to ensure that I was able to work to the best of my abilities. Again, for the most part I got along with my co-works. I believe the hardest part of my job was during my illness. Sometimes very hard to work due to constant pain, but felt that working helped me to deal with issues at the time. The most enjoyable part of my job was feeling that a taxpayer was satisfied with results of settlements or any advise given in reference to taxes. – less
Great learning experience.
Administrative Technician (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 15, 2014
A typical work is very busy and productive. There is always work that has to be done to help the families we provide service too.
Gives job security
Supervisor (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 26, 2013
City of Philadelphia does provide job security in this unpredictable job industry. There is however, little growth for advancement.
good job
Laborer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 12, 2013
i love this job the hardest part of this job was geting to work
Productive work environment
PMA 1 (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2013
Typical day at work consisted of tallying retail department stores' merchandise.
Not a friendly environment for females.
Police Officer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 5, 2013
Pros: helping people
Cons: not female friendly
When I worked the job was not really family friendly toward women or single mothers. I learned that this was really a male dominated field. Management was not really friendly and was predjuiced.
The hardest part of the job was not being able to talk to someone about my needs and the help I needed. The enjoyble part of the job was helping people.