City of Philadelphia Employee Reviews in United States

fun people to work with.
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 14, 2016
you come in at 7am start your truck gather your crew have some coffee,have a little conversation about what you did last nite ,then hit the streets.
benefits
Cons
weather/winter
people person
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 30, 2016
I patrol an area, I check in with store owners to make sure things are working smooth and make sure they have know concerns. I also patrol the are to protect the students of University of Pennsylvania,
Pros
helping people
Cons
cant help everyone
Good
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 21, 2016
Was a unpaid internship but was fun the boss was chill and we did what had to be done. Was a very fun environment. I would do it again (paid) if possible.
Best city agency to work
Assistant Managing Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 21, 2016
Awesome opportunity to help local communities, residents and agencies. In the forefront to help and empower local communities and citizen.
Enjoyable co workers diverse enviornment, fast paced at times.
Crossing Guard (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 11, 2016
Very enjoyable atmosphere always work to be done but co workers make your day go by faster. Although I was responsible for over 10,000 reports I was delighted working with city employees. I don't recall any hardships working here just that I was last coming in so I was the first out when it came to lay offs. A Great place to work .
Pros
Raises every so often.
Cons
No cons
Good Experience Acquired
Facilities Services Manager (Current Employee) –  City of Philadelphia, PADecember 9, 2015
Working for the City is a good experience and a great place to either start or retire, if desired. However, it is just not as competitive as the private sector.
Not fit for a dog to work there.
Prison Trades Worker I Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 14, 2015
Worst place for anyone to work! When I was hired, they had already gone 5 years w/o a payraise and working off of a contract that had expired in 2007.
I have learned how to work with all types of people
Taxi driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 11, 2015
I have a diverse work background that allows me to operate successfully in many types of jobs and job environments.
I have driven a taxi as an independent contractor for the City of Philadelphia for approximately four years. Driving a taxi has taught me how to work with all types of people. I have learned how to operate independently and how to manage my own work time to maximize profit. Also I have learned how to provide great customer service to my passengers.
Pros
Great positive work experience
Cons
Long hours.
Interesting
Maintenance Attendant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 5, 2015
Created a routine to work effectively , most work is done outside in the summer . Get that done to avoid the hottest part of the day. For the most part I worked with little supervision. When needed I could reach out to co-worker for assistance.

Enjoyed interacting with people ...can be fast paced at time , It was a great reminder that no matter what kind of you do , you must always work hard do your best.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Seasonal position
You do all the work while people who know people sit around and do nothing.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 31, 2015
Depending on who you are, you may not have to do 1 thing all day. most "special" people come in late and leave early every day and you have to do their work for them.
Pros
None if ur white
Cons
99% bums doing half their work.
ok place
Food Sanitarian (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 30, 2015
no staff morale no room for advancement, management lack present knowledge of work conditions, management is unappreciative of staff, work conditions could be a lot better
great place to work
Assist other (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia PaOctober 22, 2015
i enjoyed everything about the job the hardest part of the job was find enough work i was able learn howto wax floor the co workers was great to work with
I worked with City Officals
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaOctober 20, 2015
Very Nice place to work. The City of Philadelphia has great benefits and pay salary. Philadelphia is very cultural town. it is very Historical. I would recommend anyone who is interested in City Government to give the city of Philadelphia a go.
Excellent department to learn about law enforcement.
Domestic Relations Officer-Legal Clerk (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 15, 2015
Excellent department to learn about law enforcement. Great people that care and work hard. Poor management,very few leaders in supervisory positions. Good pay and benefits package.
Pros
Great people, good pay and benefits.
Cons
Poor management, very few leaders in supervisory positions.
Productive and meaningful workplace
Communications Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 8, 2015
Philadelphia Parks and Recreation is a meaningful place to work. There is always opportunities for new projects and the impact can be directly seen through our sites and can be heard through resident's experiences.
Excellent co-workers and supervisors
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 8, 2015
Communication is key in any industry. The Philadelphia Department of Public Health definitely excels in communication. The department keeps its employees informed of any and all issues.

Coming from private industry into government industry definitely took some getting used to. From ordering supplies to communicating via email, there are are rules and regulations that have to be followed that are much different than private industry settings.
Pros
Great building, close to everything
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people.
Special Assistant to Councilwoman Bass (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 29, 2015
I assisted people with many issues while maintaining a warm and inviting office. I assisted with water issues such as bill payment arrangement to assistance with pipe rupture or water flowing. Assisted with PECO and PGW issues with payment agreements and shut offs. Taxes that are delinquent and in process of foreclosure. Visiting the schools with the Councilwoman to build a rapport with the Principals and staff in the 8 the council district.
Pros
Meet many of the Who's Who in Philadelphia.
Cons
Not enough resources to assist all that were in need.
Review as 4 out of 5
SR Network Design and Implementation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 27, 2015
I review this job as a 4 out of 5. I say this because it is a
challenging and rewarding opportunity with upgrading older equipment and infrastructure.with newest technology and Network Monitioring Software.
Pros
Intellectually Stimulating
Cons
Antiquated Equipment
Productive work place
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 22, 2015
Get assigned a patrol car ride around your district making citizens feel safe while responding to police radio. you work sometimes with a partner or solo you get to talk with different people have enter action with children also help citizens with they problems.
Productive and family-like feel workplace with open lounge areas.
Court Representative (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 18, 2015
Family-like work environment where everyone gets along and for the most part have been there for many years. Can contact different departments to collaborate to get whichever job needs to be done.
Pros
Get along with co-workers.
Cons
Dealing with the clients.

City of Philadelphia Reviews by Location