City of Philadelphia Employee Reviews

Extremely Rewarding!!!
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 9, 2017
There is nothing more rewarding than the look a child gives you when you take them from an unsafe situation to a safe one or the look of a parent after you ensure their child's safety.
Good entry level job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 7, 2017
This job has a good work/life balance and acceptable employee paid benefits. There is potential for growth based on your personal goals. A great organization to work for and retire from.
Pros
Stable, benefits, fair wages
Cons
Routine tasks
Stressful job, Good money
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 26, 2017
I worked as a correctional officer for the City of Philadelphia. The job was stressful but the pay was good. We had excellent benefits, including paid time off.
Work
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 18, 2017
Enforce rules and keep order within the jail. supervise activities of inmates. Maintain security by preventing and disturbances, assaults, or escapes.
Productive and easy going always great vibes.
Wage Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 17, 2017
A typical day at work is completing paperwork and keep up with payrolls. My coworkers are awesome. I do not find my job difficult and the most enjoyable part is conversing with coworkers.
exciting but stressful work environment
FIREFIGHTER (Former Employee) –  4th street and snyder aveApril 15, 2017
Intense job, but can be fulfilling for the right person. Great benefits, and enjoyed the brotherhood among our members. Schedule is great, and work is always exciting.
excellent benefit package and job security
Manager of Probation Officers (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 14, 2017
I enjoyed working for the Courts. I had many years of public service which I thoroughly enjoyed. In particular I loved working with formally incarcerated individuals.
Although success stories were few and far between; I was always pleased to see my clients who returned to say they had changed their lives around as a result of time spent with our Department.
Working at the City
Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 14, 2017
It would be great if the internal infrastructure moved a little faster. The pace to get things done is slow. There wasn't a good work life balance because working from wasn't allowed. A lot of internal systems are antiquated.
The best life guarding job you can get
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 7, 2017
Life guards at the city of Philadelphia are very well taken cared of. I remember, while getting certified, hearing horror stories about how governments treat you in New Jersey. The pay is great, the hours are great, the people will vary depending on where you work, but the ones I worked with were great. Not one stands out that bothered me.
Pros
The job
Cons
None really
Demolition Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 21, 2017
demolition work is a awesome field. Your always busy. It pays well and being able to operate heavy machinery is exciting. It's very hands on and I don't have any complaints
Professional place to work
Customer Service Rep/medical clerk (Former Employee) –  Customer Service RepresentativeMarch 14, 2017
Worked for City of Philadelphia 33 yrs, Advanced all my skills during my employment. Was able to advance to higher salary through promotions. During my time in the Finance dept I learned payroll skills and other advancement skills to enhance my future promotions. During my time at the Health Dept. I was able to communicate in a very professional manner working with Drs and nurses. The hardest part of my job was when I had to call patients in for an abnormal test. I had to learn to listen and comfort patients.
Great Company
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2017
Great company just depends on what job you have. Every job with the city differs. Cops, fireman, Assistant DAs, prison guards, water dept. The possibilities are endless.
It's a great place to expand your knowledge
Heavy Truck Driver 1 (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 11, 2017
Great place to work benefits great and very nice management you have to be very invested when working here because this is a full time job. The hardest part of working here is you don't get to choose where you want to live meaning you have to live in the county
Work
Plain Clothes Narcotics Officer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 8, 2017
Working for the Philadelphia Police Department was a very good experience for me the different jobs the people I met the differences experience and friends I made
Pros
Meet new people
Cons
Put in one category
Secure living/advancement unlikely
Police Detective (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 5, 2017
Law enforcement is a challenging field. I've experienced situations that I will never forget. I've learned so much in my 13 years. Permanent rotational shift work that burned me out. The best part of my job was when I really felt like I helped a victim.
Pros
benefit package, union, pension
Cons
rotational shift work, worked every holiday
secured and enjoyable workplace
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 3, 2017
* greeting and assisting employees and visitors that entered the building.
* I learned how to check the whole building in 15-20 mins per day to make sure building was secured.
* management was great. Always available if needed further assistance; and worked well with security to assure the safety of the building.
* workplace culture was like a revolving door.
* the hardest part of the job was trying to stay warm in the winter, because the temperature in building dropped at night.
* the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and greeting the people.
Pros
managed security of building alone - no supervision
Cons
sometimes got lonely being by ones self.
Little room for advancement
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 2, 2017
A job that offers typical benefits and little room for advancing or pursuing professional development endeavors. There is good job security however.
Productive and fast paced enviroment
Clerk of Courts (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 27, 2017
Fast-paced professional working environment that required close attention to detail and multi-tasking abilities. Normal working hours required.
Fun and out doors
Sanitation Worker (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 23, 2017
I loved it cause i loved being out doors... U only work wit two or 3 other ppl a day...it gets hot sumtime and it gets cold sumtimes...but over all its a good job.
Pros
Long lunched
Cons
Weather
Very Productive
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  City Hall PHiladelphia,PaFebruary 17, 2017
I Loved Working for the city. It was very rewarding helping citizens. The hours are long and you meet nice people everyday the supervisors were really easy to get along with
Pros
flexible
Cons
long nights