City of Phoenix Employee Reviews in United States

City of Phoenix
Senior PeopleSoft Developer (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 21, 2016
Fine place to work in a slow-paced environment. A bit "dusty" here as they follow extremely strict budgeting practices with little discretion so not many bells and whistles. For a generic type job where you can consistently get home on time this may be the place for you.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Pension
Very open place to work for people are very friendly
Records Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 12, 2016
I love the environment and the people I work with. Advancement is pretty slim, the benefits and pay are good. Retirement options are ok

My typical work day is helping customers be able to pick up passengers at the airport, and to help reunite passengers with their belongings in lost and found.

My co workers are awesome and are all team players

The hardest part of the job is going in and out to inspect vehicles in the heat.

The most enjoyable part of my job is continuing to assist passengers and helping others
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
cons is the heat
na
Recreation Aide (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 28, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to work with kids. A typical day at work for me is dealing with costumers and young teens making sure they are getting the help that they need. I love working with all kinds of new people because im a big people person.
Workplace is populated by cliques
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 21, 2016
This employer has many cliques who seem to have a language of their own and they spend a lot of time socializing by themselves. They speak to one another in hushed voices and seem unwilling to let others in on their conversations. And their behavior reminds you of situations you may experienced in high school.
Pros
Okay benefits
Simple Work with good pay
Phoenix Tech Internship (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 19, 2016
The most typical routine is that you will assist people with graphic design among other things. You will learn crucial customer service. The management is friendly and very good at their jobs. Co-workers are fun and enjoyable to work around. Hardest part is assisting with difficult tasks, but it is fun to teach kids how to design video games.
Pros
Good hours and good pay
Cons
not a very fun job
Officers make it a good place to work in
Commander (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 1, 2016
Do Commanders mail all day. Officers come see me for files and other stuff they may need. I also help with certificates and do the roster day by day it changes we get new officers all the time
Pros
free lunch hour
Cons
no breaks
Good place to work, but ...
Assistant City Attorney (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 31, 2016
seeing more turnover recently. Still a pretty good place to work. Generally happy workers. Decent benefits and retirement
Pros
Good work/life balance
Cons
stagnant wages, political uncertainties
fun at first
Auditorium Facility Worker (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 23, 2016
company was contracted then owned by city, got to be to political to many jelous people who though us contractors had to much and weren't worthy of being city workers.
Fun and friendly atmosphere
Advanced Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 28, 2016
Come in and teach swim lessons from 12pm to 1pm, and from 1 pm to 7pm, assured safe swimming practices, as well as basic maintenance duties.
great place to work
Equipment Service Worker II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 21, 2016
great place to work great benefits the city of phoenix was good to me I would recommend this company to anyone in that area
benefits
Cons
promotions
Recreation Leader
Recreation Leader (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 4, 2016
I absolutely loved working for the City. Not only was it fun it was an experience. Children help us realize how much of an impact us as adults have on them.
Pros
flexible, pay increases
Cons
part time
I made a career of working for the City of Phoenix Water Dept.
Utility Foreman (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 13, 2016
I worked for the City of Phoenix Water Department until I retired after 29 years. I started as a Trainee and worked my way up to Supervisor.
Pros
Security, pension.
Cons
Politics.
Good Company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 7, 2016
The City of Phoenix is a very good company to work for, and I learned so much valuable things and met so many good people. I valued the time I worked after school at this company.
Fun place to work
Swim Instructor and Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 13, 2015
The jobs comes with good pay and plenty of good people. I enjoyed working for the parks & rec department for multiple summers.
Good place to work. Secure positions. Average pay.
Various Engineering Positions (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 2, 2015
Good place to work. Secure positions. Average pay.
Management can be overbearing.
Have to keep up with local politics.
Pros
Flexible work hours, PTO, benefits
Cons
Management, politics
Productive Work Experience
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 14, 2015
Great employer to learn new or advanced skills with their many training classes specifically, computer and office professional skills. Good starting pay with excellent benefits and off on numerous holidays. Many opportunities to advance. I enjoyed my job because of the many duties I did daily. I was able to advance my computer skills with the classes they offered. I had the opportunity to help the public with questions they had, input data into various databases and worked as lead accounting clerk. Awesome co-workers and team environment! Hardest part of job was in a government position if a co-worker wasn't doing their job, it took forever for supervisors to deal with or resolve situation, because jobs are protected in the government sector. I had great supervisors that we're always willing to help. I enjoyed the many hats I was fortunate to wear daily in learning many new duties in my department.
Benefits
Cons
Too many yearly classes to be taken
Housing Quality Inspection for the Section 8 Program
Housing Inspector (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 11, 2015
Scheduled and performed HQS inspection for the Federally Funded Section 8 Program. Inspected homes, and apartments to ensure they met HUD and the City of Phoenix housing codes.
Pros
Able to make your own schedule
Cons
Travel all over the greater Phoenix area
Lifeguard with the City of Phoenix
Life Guard (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 27, 2015
I really loved being a guard with the city. I was entrusted with a lot of responsibility for being just a regular lifeguard but I embraced them. I was responsible for helping train and assist with the new guards. I was also entrusted with closing duties on the days that i closed.
Old Boys Club at AIrport
Dev (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 25, 2015
Sky Harbor Airport IT Dept. had inside deals to get a few contracting agencies in owned by "friends" and exclude others that were contracted to Sky Harbor for years. It was blatant and disturbing.

One manager would fabricate stories about people, and frequently throw temper tantrums. He didn't quite know what he was doing, but has been contracted to city sky harbor about 8 yrs. from Canada.
Pros
Coworkers great
Cons
Managers assigned politically.
Water Customer services taught a lot of knowledge on water.
Water Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 21, 2015
I enjoyed coming to work because of my co-workers, on the day to day basis we answered incoming calls about the customer water and sewer bill. I personally did this and handled when customers disputed their water consumption. Management was very hard to get along with, It felt like a us against them environment and everything was very micro-managed. The hardest part of the job was trying to go to work in a good mood, I never wanted to go because the environment was very negative. The most enjoyable part was learning the history and what it takes to clean and have water consumable. And also the co-workers and my team mates we tried the best we can to enjoy the day with each other.
Pros
The Co-Workers and benefits.
Cons
Managment

4.3