City of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Great!
n/a (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 9, 2017
Great place to work with great benefits! Always a work/life balance, and management that is understanding to employees needs. Only con is the requirement to live in the city.
City of Pittsburgh
Clerical Assistant/Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAJune 5, 2017
I have enjoyed my time with the City of Pittsburgh, especially the bureau of police. I have learned a lot about the PA and local justice systems in the last 3-4 years. The problem is that there is no room for advancement.
Customer Service
Utility Survey Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 16, 2017
Processing permits from Utility workers, public, contractors, etc.
I'm learning about property lines, addressing, and geographic.
Management is precise and down to earth.
Culture is diverse
The job can get challenging with amount of permits being processed.
The most enjoyable part of the day is making people smile.
Safe job with ceiling
Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 28, 2017
I am by title a Network Analyst, but that translates to System Administrator. I also dual function as Scrum Master. My daily tasks include, but not limited to running backups, configuring switches and routers, creating vm's and maintaining them in VSphere, maintaining integrity of servers in virtual and physical environment. The benefits are great, and you get a ton of hands on experience especially in the IT department. The hardest part of the job is the lack of competitive pay, and lack of training because of pre-defined budget constraints.
Pros
Freedom to work(Higher Tiered positions), hands-on experience, benefits
Cons
limited training, not cross-functional, very clear ceiling, non-competitive wages
Wonderful place to make a difference in the lives of the communities we serve.
Center Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 29, 2016
A typical day is fun and educational programming for youth and families. A flexible management is necessary to be successful at this position.My co-workers and staff have a friendly and welcoming attitude at all times. Working with children always has it's ups and downs, but our goal is to provide the best environment and experiences for our participants, young and old. Being able to be a positive influence in the lives of our members is the most enjoyable and fullfilling aspect of this position.
It's a dismal place to work, morale has disspated greatly
Telecom Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 2, 2016
It's a government organization of which I'm not accustomed to. Coming from a corporate environment, I find that a lot is taken for granted. Customers (other employees) aren't valued the same as they are from a corporate perspective. Respect for fellow workers are a scarce commodity, especially when political favor happens to be how some folks got their job in the first place.
Pros
good health care
Working at I&P
CORO FELLOW IN PUBLIC AFFAIRS CORO PITTSBURGH (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 9, 2016
The Dept at the City of Pittsburgh Office of Innovation and Performance was a great learning experience for me. The daily work life at I&P was challenging, but also laid back. Deadlines need to be met, but there is room for creativity and self-expression which is nice.
Pros
Business Casual, exciting environment
Cons
No coffee
Good Work/life balance, pay below average
Survey Party Chief (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 24, 2016
Good work life balance. Good paid time off/vacation time. Pay is below average and raises are rare besides cost of living increase. Overall a pretty good place to work.
It is a pleasure working with the public, whether old or young.
School guard (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 20, 2016
It has been a pleasure working with the public, I get to meet new people every day. I also enjoy working with public safety, keeping our children safe. My coworkers and I have the same goal in mind, to keep our children safe. The hard part of my job is fast moving traffic. The joy is seeing their smiles every morning.
Enrichment education for low-income and at-risk youth
Education Consultant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 29, 2016
This position offers direct engagement with challenged youth in direct community service and in after-school tutoring and counseling sessions. I also have worked directly with elderly citizens, conducting interviews and creating art projects at this position. The position is very challenging and emotionally demanding. The work is gratifying, but poorly organized, and there is no training and limited staff support. Communication and leadership are very strained throughout the division, and new projects often supersede ongoing concerns. The office is cross-generational, with a very specific hierarchy and ever-shifting expectations. There is also an above-average amount of physical labor that is divided specifically by gender.

Compensation is well below average for the demanded skill-sets.
GED Instructor (Current Employee) –  PittsburghOctober 7, 2015
Enjoy working with all of the people there. I do one on one instruction to prepare students to get their GED. Everyone gets along and work toward help our residents.
Enjoy my time there
City of Pittsburgh / Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 11, 2015
I enjoyed working with the clients that were referred by the Dept. of Public Welfare. Each case was different and you could become a productive and positive part of someone's life. Seeing the success that developed over the years gave me hope that I was doing the right thing and in the right job. My life now is being a servant.
it was a hustle environment
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 23, 2015
For the most part we got along pretty good, but you had to always be ready to speak up for yourself. A typical day was very hard work. You learned the city and the fast pace of the job made the time go quickly. For me, I love the outdoors and as for management we all did the best with what we had to work with. The hardest was the tonnage the easiest the driving.
Pros
We cuold leave the work site when we finished
Cons
We had to make up holidays on saturday
Great place to work if you need to build experience and connections.
Network Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2015
A typical day of work consists of checking the help desk queue and looking for escalated tickets. After that, you pick tickets relevant to your expertise and you work those tickets. I have learned so much about network infrastructure and maintenance and it has helped me build my career immensely. I have also made powerful and influential connections since it is a government job. For the most part my co workers are exceptional. The hardest part of the job is the hours you have to work, and being on call on weekends. The most enjoyable part is having the ability to learn what you want to learn at your pace.
Pros
Benefits, ability to work on all levels of IT, ease of schedule
Cons
hours, low morale, short ceiling for advancement.
Fun Place to Work
Permit Technician (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Each day is a different day. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to work with a bunch of different types of people.
Solid start to your career
Refuse Driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 28, 2014
My experience is in the Refuse Department. The only plus to the department is that you have a chance to leave work early when your route is complete beside that there are no real perks to choosing this department to work for at all. We work on Saturdays after every holiday, so family time is cut short during the important times of the year. I would suggest to anyone to try other departments first but if you need to a job to earn a paycheck for the time being there's plenty of trash out there for everyone.
Pros
Early start, some weekends
Cons
advancement, pay
This was my second attempt at court reporting, and I tried but just couldn't feel productive.
Court Stenographer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 20, 2014
This position was taking verbatim minutes at hearings of different levels and then transcribing them.
Pros
I liked working in City Governement.
Cons
Every day was the same thing.
Best Summer Jobs
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2014
Working outside doing manual labor. Seeing all your friends from school.
Government
Fiscal and Contracting Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 16, 2013
I work with a highly educated and motivated staff, that are out to provides the best service for the residents of the City of Pittsburgh.
productive and enjoyable place to work
trk driver (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 11, 2013
I learned a lot working with the city. I've gained a lot of experience interacting with the public ..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at City of Pittsburgh. Our community is ready to answer.

City of Pittsburgh Reviews by Location