City of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

it was a hustle environment
Refuse Collector (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 23, 2015
Pros: We cuold leave the work site when we finished
Cons: We had to make up holidays on saturday
For the most part we got along pretty good, but you had to always be ready to speak up for yourself. A typical day was very hard work. You learned the city and the fast pace of the job made the time go quickly. For me, I love the outdoors and as for management we all did the best with what we had to work with. The hardest was the tonnage the easiest the driving.
Great place to work if you need to build experience and connections.
Network Analyst III (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2015
Pros: Benefits, ability to work on all levels of IT, ease of schedule
Cons: hours, low morale, short ceiling for advancement.
A typical day of work consists of checking the help desk queue and looking for escalated tickets. After that, you pick tickets relevant to your expertise and you work those tickets. I have learned so much about network infrastructure and maintenance and it has helped me build my career immensely. I have also made powerful and influential connections since it is a government job. For the most part my co workers are exceptional. The hardest part of the job is the hours you have to work, and being on call on weekends. The most enjoyable part is having the ability to learn what you want to learn at your pace.
Fun Place to Work
Permit Technician (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Each day is a different day. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to work with a bunch of different types of people.
Solid start to your career
Refuse Driver (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 28, 2014
Pros: early start, some weekends
Cons: advancement, pay
My experience is in the Refuse Department. The only plus to the department is that you have a chance to leave work early when your route is complete beside that there are no real perks to choosing this department to work for at all. We work on Saturdays after every holiday, so family time is cut short during the important times of the year. I would suggest to anyone to try other departments first but if you need to a job to earn a paycheck for the time being there's plenty of trash out there for everyone.
This was my second attempt at court reporting, and I tried but just couldn't feel productive.
Court Stenographer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 20, 2014
Pros: i liked working in city governement.
Cons: every day was the same thing.
This position was taking verbatim minutes at hearings of different levels and then transcribing them.
Best Summer Jobs
Laborer (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2014
Working outside doing manual labor. Seeing all your friends from school.
Government
Fiscal and Contracting Supervisor (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 16, 2013
I work with a highly educated and motivated staff, that are out to provides the best service for the residents of the City of Pittsburgh.
productive and enjoyable place to work
trk driver (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 11, 2013
I learned a lot working with the city. I've gained a lot of experience interacting with the public ..
Productive, accomplished workplace with passionate, dedicated coworkers
Communications Specialist (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 4, 2013
As part of Mayor Ravenstahl’s communications team, I write and edit various types of publications – from press materials to community newsletters – manage social media and web content, conduct research, oversee production of marketing materials, assist with media outreach and event coordination, inform staff about relevant communications information and more. I work with both internal and external entities to complete tasks under firm deadlines – while ensuring quality, consistency and effectiveness – and understand the necessity to maintain a professional and respectful relationship to ensure the advancement of the message and material.
Came from private sector back to public sector and it is a leap backwards technically
Database Administrator (Current Employee), Pittsburgh - City County BuildingJune 25, 2013
Job is not technically challenging and due to a government IT installation very politically and bureaucratically oriented,
Nice people that work there. How to retire due to health problems.
Clerical Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PASeptember 22, 2012
Pros: good hours
Cons: deadlines
Good place to work for, I had to retire due to health problems.
Great People
Management and Budget, Intern (Former Employee), PittsburghJune 2, 2012
Worked with really nice people. Appreciated the internship opportunity.
Highest paying EMS job in the area
Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2012
Pros: uniform quartermaster program, paid continuing education
Cons: must live within the city limits
Although there is the ability to make money by working overtime and special events, the schedule is not very family-friendly. Great experience gained from very busy service with a high call volume. Duties are physically demanding due to terrain and geographical area with many residences being difficult to access. Bargaining unit has failed to secure a contract 15 months after previous contract has expired.